Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭quokula

if he resigns, Does this not mean ireland Looses it's commisioner?

Yeah but who cares about that. Pitchforks out everyone :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,638 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

if he resigns, Does this not mean ireland Looses it's commisioner?
    We'd get to nominate a replacement.

Though, note, the Commissioner nominated by Ireland is not "Ireland's Commisioner". He may in practice be a useful point of contact, but he doesn't represent Ireland or Irish interests and is not accountable to the Irish government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

quokula wrote: »
    Why exactly would we want someone who's fighting our corner during Brexit negotiations to resign and most likely be replaced with somebody from another country who won't have as much interest in Ireland?

Because he had dinner out during lockdown? It was a stupid thing to do but I assume the other million plus people in the country who have also done that at some point should resign from their jobs too by that logic?

The Blueshirts are out of bed. You actually believe this "fighting our corner" ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,653 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

https://twitter.com/PhilHoganEU/status/1296748601583063040

Statement out, he says he's in the country since July

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Edgware wrote: »
    If he resigns does that mean he will want his old village idiot job back. There's a quque of people in Kilkenny on that list. He cant just barge in and take it
    He is doing excellent work at EU level.
    His record shows this.

His work with Japan on a free trade deal is probably the greatest achievement by an Irishman in EU history.

Access to cheaper better quality Japanese goods for us.

Of course SF and Ming were against it. No surprises they hate free trade like Trump.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/ming-and-sinn-fein-not-up-for-trade-with-tokyo-428148

• Advertisement

Gerry T wrote: »
    Can you tell me why he should resign

He attended a function which broke government restrictions and having arrived from a non greenlist country, didn't self-isolate for the requisite 14 days prior. I've been around the block long enough to see through the twaddle put out by his spokesperson. It's absurd that a high ranking official can arrogantly flaunt the regulations, yet the rest of us commoners have to meekly abide or face punishment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭quokula

He attended a function which broke government restrictions and having arrived from a non greenlist country, didn't self-isolate for the requisite 14 days prior. I've been around the block long enough to see through the twaddle put out by his spokesperson. It's absurd that a high ranking official can arrogantly flaunt the regulations, yet the rest of us commoners have to meekly abide or face punishment.

If you read any of the covid threads on Boards you'd know the "commoners" aren't meekly abiding and certainly aren't facing punishment. I wish we did have stronger measures in place to stop people ignoring the rules but we don't.

As far as we can tell from the facts, it's not true that he arrived from a non green list country less than 14 days prior, and he believed the hotel was following guidelines. I have a staycation booked next week. I expect to eat dinner in the hotel, just like many thousands of other people doing similar.

I assume the hotel will be following guidelines, but I also assume I won't be expected to resign from my job in the private sector when I get back if it turns out they did something wrong.

I'd hate Ireland to shoot itself in the foot by losing one of our most successful representatives in Europe to appease baying mobs who don't know what they're talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

He'll hold onto his pension though. In my mind all these guys should have their pensions removed and told to go swing.

If I am made redundant today, the accrued pension benefits are preserved.

It is impossible to remove that from any worker.

If somebody is let go from Vodafone, should they lose their accrued preserved pension benefits from the Vodafone pension scheme?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

He is doing excellent work at EU level.
    His record shows this.

His work with Japan on a free trade deal is probably the greatest achievement by an Irishman in EU history.

Access to cheaper better quality Japanese goods for us.

Of course SF and Ming were against it. No surprises they hate free trade like Trump.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/ming-and-sinn-fein-not-up-for-trade-with-tokyo-428148

be careful letting people know that he's particularly good at his job, the SF shills and covid police will be after you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

If there are no grounds for Phil Hogan to resign, then i wonder if Calleary and Buttimer would feel they acted hastily. If the difference is that Hogan doesnt see himself as accountable to the irish people, then i could see why there would be widespread anger over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Never liked him anyway. An arrogant man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

If you read any of the covid threads on Boards you'd know the "commoners" aren't meekly abiding and certainly aren't facing punishment. I wish we did have stronger measures in place to stop people ignoring the rules but we don't.

As far as we can tell from the facts, it's not true that he arrived from a non green list country less than 14 days prior, and he believed the hotel was following guidelines. I have a staycation booked next week. I expect to eat dinner in the hotel, just like many thousands of other people doing similar.

I assume the hotel will be following guidelines, but I also assume I won't be expected to resign from my job in the private sector when I get back if it turns out they did something wrong.

I'd hate Ireland to shoot itself in the foot by losing one of our most successful representatives in Europe to appease baying mobs who don't know what they're talking about.

Regardless of what sort of job he is doing, you have to judge whether what he did was a sackable offence. That’s the only question that needs to be answered.

If it was for Buttimer and Calleary, which personally I think it was, then it is for Hogan. In public office, there is a much higher standard expected of you than regular citizens. Therefore, in my view, Hogan should resign.

That he is good at his job is regrettable but any loss to Ireland or the Irish people would be as a result of his actions and his actions alone.

Muddying the waters with how good he is or isn’t or how this will impact Ireland’s interests is putting personal interests before what’s the right thing to do and that inevitably leads to a culture of “one rule for one group and one rule for others.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

If Hogan steps down it will destroy him.

He has spend his entire political career trying to shaft the Irish people and now when he is on the cusp on financially screwing us again he might not be able to see it through.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If there are no grounds for Phil Hogan to resign, then i wonder if Calleary and Buttimer would feel they acted hastily. If the difference is that Hogan doesnt see himself as accountable to the irish people, then i could see why there would be widespread anger over it.

He literally isn't accountable to the Irish people, it is not a matter of opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Gerry T

Did he, he says he was in the country since July so thats the second part of your argument blown.
    The function had the 80 group split into two and was in compliance with the rules prior to the recent change. Whats your issue ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭daheff

I for one want him gone.

there are plenty of reasons why he should resign. Would you care to elaborate on why you want him gone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I assume the hotel will be following guidelines, but I also assume I won't be expected to resign from my job in the private sector when I get back if it [/U]turns out they did something wrong.

He did something wrong. When he (and others) walked in and saw how the event was being managed, they should have walked straight out again.
    That would have been the honourable and safest thing to do - show some leadership. Walk out and let the authorities know that the restrictions were not being followed.

'It was someone else's fault" wont wash in this circumstance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Just waiting for the photo of Big Phil to emerge swigging a pint down in the local during his quarantine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,160 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

the baying mob are baying i see

i for one want everyone who was in Berlin the other night sacked from their jobs and their pensions taken from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,143 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Gerry T wrote: »
    Did he, he says he was in the country since July so thats the second part of your argument blown.
    The function had the 80 group split into two and was in compliance with the rules prior to the recent change. Whats your issue ?

The group wasn't split in two. It was the same event and a flimsy half-open partition between the the two groups doesn't negate the mingling likely before and after.

It was one event and the reason they put up a partition was because they knew they were having an event for more than 50 people. Trying to wave it away as "We put a partition up" doesn't change that.

If it had been a 140 person wedding split into 3 groups with the same partitions, the same people would be condemning it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Podge_irl wrote: »
    He literally isn't accountable to the Irish people, it is not a matter of opinion.

Well, yes technically he is not answerable to the irish public for his actions so he doesnt even have to offer an apology if the mood doesnt take him. And yet...and yet...i dont think that people will be in the mood to let this go so he might have to brazen the storm out for a while which i doubt will be too much bother to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭circadian

Don't think he should resign. Although, questions do need to be raised about the true purpose of this get together considering the amount of people in government positions and prominent members of the business community in attendance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,143 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Cyrus wrote: »

i for one want everyone who was in Berlin the other night sacked from their jobs and their pensions taken from them.

The people in the Berlin aren't the same people who have influence in making the laws and guidelines they're telling us all to adhere to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,277 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Euronews have the story about him resigning and mention that Phil Hogan was at it on there The Cube section as well. So someone here said it would not even be on any other news in Europe was wrong. It has made international news.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭daheff

https://twitter.com/PhilHoganEU/status/1296748601583063040

Statement out, he says he's in the country since July

question though, if when he saw the event was clearly in breach of public health guidelines, why didnt he leave it? How long did he stay at the event?

Penn wrote: »
    The people in the Berlin aren't the same people who have influence in making the laws and guidelines they're telling us all to adhere to.

doesnt matter, rules are the same for all, and i am outraged, literally frothing at the mouth.

Phil Hogan didnt make the laws here either so he is in the same boat as them right?

circadian wrote: »
    Don't think he should resign. Although, questions do need to be raised about the true purpose of this get together considering the amount of people in government positions and prominent members of the business community in attendance.

probably plotting to take over the country

the swines :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 regulators

No need for Calleary or Hogan to resign.

This is way over the top.

A simple wage fine and a apology would suffice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Cyrus wrote: »

I had a post typed and posted but you're not worth the card.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Well, yes technically he is not answerable to the irish public for his actions so he doesnt even have to offer an apology if the mood doesnt take him. And yet...and yet...i dont think that people will be in the mood to let this go so he might have to brazen the storm out for a while which i doubt will be too much bother to him.

He shouldn't have gone and it was a spectacular lack of judgement, but ultimately people's mood is somewhat irrelevant. It is not exactly going to be hard for his to "brazen the storm" in Ireland when his job is in Brussels and not contingent upon the Irish people or parliament anymore.

Advertisement