Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

If he goes that is fine. I don’t particularly care.

But the rules are a mess and communication has been terrible. 3 weeks ago we had an economic stimulus plan to reopen the economy and a big part of that was staycations and restarting the hospitality industry.

In my view what happened on Tuesday was far more serious.

I'd agree. But everyone at the dinner should have been aware if was wrong on so many levels not just covid.

Brian Hayes the banker sitting with politicians. A judge. Property developers. Journalists. All rubbing shoulders with tds, a minister and senators.

It stinks all the more when you look at it like that. Perhaps thats more serious than covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

She hasn't done anything wrong afaik. She went on holiday in Lanzarote then self-isolated in a holiday home in Donegal for a fortnight when she got back.
    I think people are angry because she didn't SI in her own home, but I'm not sure if there's more to it than that.

If she did nothing wrong then why is she “apologising”?

Restrictions aside, she shouldn’t be in the job because she is an idiot.

Many people have been through an awful time. An intelligent politician would use the opportunity to “suffer” with the rest of the country, get on the refund bandwagon, etc.

A politician with no awareness if the use of optics is too thick to hold the position

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Sure but we know Hogan's track record, he doesn't care about the Irish public in general. At the end of the day it doesn't matter if an Irish guy or a guy from Latvia is in his position Merkel will call the shots with Macron looking over his shoulder.

So what happened when Paschal Donohue got the chair of Finance Ministers when both Merkel and Macron wanted the Spanish minister?

Limpy wrote: »
    Hey look over there. Nothing to see here.

I don’t get it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Any clown that was abroad and doesn't do the required period of isolation to keep people on the wider community safe upon their return, deserves condemnation. Is ok for fit and healthy people but them walking around like that could have horrific consequences for some.

Did Michaél Martin quarantine when he returned from Brussels? Asking for a friend.

• Advertisement

McMurphy wrote: »
    Did Michaél Martin quarantine when he returned from Brussels? Asking for a friend.

He was exempt afaik.

I’d like to the arrogant Phil Hogan gone, but I’d put money on it right now that he won’t ! He will ride this out .

McMurphy wrote: »
    Did Michaél Martin quarantine when he returned from Brusselso? Asking for a friend.

Politicians are exempt , as are medical personnel, airline crew and thousands of other workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭HBC08

s1ippy wrote: »
    What it really comes down to is MM is a spineless, weak leader who is undermined by all and sundry and he has lost several people their positions due to his lack of control, poise and general haplessness. He can't even fake competence. If I were any of those affected I would be livid. A lot of people are now going to feel that he's ruined their careers and basically the whole country hates him, he comes off as a prick. Is it his fault? It's partly his own mad flapping about and partly having a worst enemy for a second in command.

I'm just baffled he seemingly got no PR training, and not even a copy of "How to Be Taoiseach (For Dummies!). Leo surely has that lying around, but I guess that's more subterfuge.

Leo has played MM like a fiddle from the start,his ultimate desire to be Taoiseach under any circumstances was used against him.
    However id wager not even in his wildest dreams did Leo think MM could be so incompetent and the whole thing would be such a complete sh1tshow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

I’d like to the arrogant Phil Hogan gone, but I’d put money on it right now that he won’t ! He will ride this out .

Would you go if you were him?

• Advertisement

Would you go if you were him?

Ive no idea, a bit hard to put myself in his shoes , anyway what’s that got to do with anything? :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

HBC08 wrote: »
    Leo has played MM like a fiddle from the start,his ultimate desire to be Taoiseach under any circumstances was used against him.
    However id wager not even in his wildest dreams did Leo think MM could be so incompetent and the whole thing would be such a complete sh1tshow.

If he'd played MM like a fiddle he would have instructed FG'ers and ex FG'ers not to attend the event. He's not as smooth as you think.

HBC08 wrote: »

MM should have sacked Cowen sooner.

You'd have to wonder considering MMs complete blanking of Colleary orginally is Dara having a little laugh to himself now.

Dara will be back. He's young and this scandal will be forgetton about soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

MM should have sacked Cowen sooner.

You'd have to wonder considering MMs complete blanking of Colleary orginally is Dara having a little laugh to himself now.

Dara will be back. He's young and this scandal will be forgetton about soon.

Hardly a scandal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

I'd agree. But everyone at the dinner should have been aware if was wrong on so many levels not just covid.

Brian Hayes the banker sitting with politicians. A judge. Property developers. Journalists. All rubbing shoulders with tds, a minister and senators.

It stinks all the more when you look at it like that. Perhaps thats more serious than covid.

There is also an Oireachtas rugby team (broad and cross-party membership Including journalists and present/former members of the Oireachtas) who play against other parliaments on the eve of six nations. Should that be banned also?

There is an Oireachtas football team also - a member of that team from FG made a scathing and spirited attack on the homophobic abuse that a fellow SF senator was subject to online. Should that be banned also?

This was not a party fundraiser. This was not the Galway tent.

The one thing Ireland has in its favour is an informality which allows positive things to happen. We manage relationships very well and are extraordinarily good networkers. Becoming super strict on our informal structures will just harm us in the end.

Politicians are exempt , as are medical personnel, airline crew and thousands of other workers.

And Hogan is a diplomat so also exempt.

There is also an Oireachtas rugby team (broad and cross-party membership Including journalists and present/former members of the Oireachtas) who play against other parliaments on the eve of six nations. Should that be banned also?

There is an Oireachtas football team also - a member of that team from FG made a scathing and spirited attack on the homophobic abuse that a fellow SF senator was subject to online. Should that be banned also?

This was not a party fundraiser. This was not the Galway tent.

The one thing Ireland has in its favour is an informality which allows positive things to happen. We manage relationships very well and are extraordinarily good networkers. Becoming super strict on our informal structures will just harm us in the end.

Prooperty developers and bankers shouldnt have any sway or social arrangements with politicians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Ive no idea, a bit hard to put myself in his shoes , anyway what’s that got to do with anything? :confused::confused:

It's a question.

And Hogan is a diplomat so also exempt.

Only when on official duty i would have though.

Prooperty developers and bankers shouldnt have any sway or social arrangements with politicians.

Thankfully we now have strong lobbying legislation and there is a general transparency over decision making. We are strong on procurement and we generally have strong legislation with an excellent court service. Interestingly, there are real
    Concerns in respect to the use of the Covid powers to bypass normal rules but that is not open to question right now.

Should it be the case that once a politician gets elected they need to hide in their offices? Should they resign from golf clubs? Should they refuse to meet business people (job creators)? Should all letters from business be thrown in the bin?

What went on in the Galway tent and what surrounded all that was criminal, but there needs to be a reasonable line.

• Advertisement

Only when on official duty i would have though.

I think that is what he contends when we visited Dublin and met with the Tanaiste (trade is in his brief). The golf was after the 14 day period.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Will he keep the George Foreman grill he won? If he doesnt want it I'll take it

Edgware wrote: »
    Will he keep the George Foreman grill he won? If he doesnt want it I'll take it

Are they any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Listening to rte 1 it sounds as if the pressure by Martin and Leo is a stunt and big Phil will be going nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

The big names of Golfgate are all high up in google suggestions today as well.
    This story has legs, and it just keeps giving too.

It made Chinese state news too.

https://twitter.com/XHNews/status/1297186387804819456?s=08

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭appledrop

Listening to rte 1 it sounds as if the pressure by Martin and Leo is a stunt and big Phil will be going nowhere.

I switched over to Newstalk. Much better. Load of crap on RTE basicially saying Big Phil vital. What a load of crap.

I read they were all complaining to to staff about the seating and such.

How many TDs and senators were at this?

How many “public servants” were there?

And will the golf club itself face penalties?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

appledrop wrote: »
    I switched over to Newstalk. Much better. Load of crap on RTE basicially saying Big Phil vital. What a load of crap.

I thought he was certain to be gone, but after them now pushing the Brexit disaster if he goes I'm not so sure. Going to be very interesting to see how this ends.

smurgen wrote: »

Oh boy. You make it in the Chinese news you really big news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's about window dressing. "We are all behind Ireland in this".

You really think we have a say what happens with Brexit? The Europeans will do what's best for the european trading bloc not Ireland
    Yeah they will but it really is a lot better to have someone in the hot seat who understands both sides of Brexit.

Advertisement