Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Are they any good?

Great for doing big toasted sandwichs, burgers etc

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I thought he was certain to be gone, but after them now pushing the Brexit disaster if he goes I'm not so sure. Going to be very interesting to see how this ends.
    It'll be schools, schools, schools from tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Phishnet wrote: »
    Phil Hogan made a bad decision, but let's get real. Is it proportionate for him to resign. He is the Europan Commmissioner for Trade, that one of the most important positions in the EU, and guess what he is IRISH. He is the guy whom along with Barnier will try and knock out a trade agreement with Boris the bully relating to BREXIT.

Cop on people, if he goes we lose our representation in Europe particularly regarding agriculture. Do you think a replacement EU Commissioner for Trade, from somewhere like Estonia is going to have Ireland's back.

Think, before we look for this head on a plate. The old phrase " Cutting off ones nose to spite our face" springs to mind.

Strategic thinking is required in this instance. By all mean look for Woulfe's head, he signed off on the Covid legislation so he has no defence. But leave big Phil in place, it's in Ireland's interest.

Sorry. I demand higher standards and I don't trust him to look after our interests, particularly in a position where he is clearly not accountable to us or can not be influenced by us. He is doing a job for the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

smurgen wrote: »

Thats fairly mad. To see these shenanigans in a country of 5 million being reported by a superpower of over a billion people.

Wouldn't have even thought we would register on their radar.

Big Phil will tough this out. Pressure from home is nothing to him and the story will die off fairly quickly on the continent.

He's a ****ing odious clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Thats fairly mad. To see these shenanigans in a country of 5 million being reported by a superpower of over a billion people.

It's not about us. It's about a senior figure in the EU being caught up in a scandal. Nationality is incidental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,360 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Oh boy. You make it in the Chinese news you really big news.

Slow news day in China.

In other news, Chinese Communist Party found to be best Communist party ever in poll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Indeed and they are thinking to themselves (China thinks strategy in 100’s or years) that a country where the Government demand the resignation of one of their most powerful allies in Europe is probably a country to steer clear from in terms of investment but we will continue buying milk powder from them.

Indeed and they are thinking to themselves (China thinks strategy in 100’s or years) that a country where the Government demand the resignation of one of their most powerful allies in Europe is probably a country to steer clear from in terms of investment but we will continue buying milk powder from them.

Hogan is not an ally of/representing Ireland at EU level. He's representing the EU agenda as a whole. Regardless of whether it's him or someone else in the role, the effect to Ireland will be unchanged.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Pelezico wrote: »
    Hardly a scandal.

Ah no, hardly.

Hogan issues apologetic statement per Newstalk. No resignation though.

• Advertisement

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Hogan is not an ally of/representing Ireland at EU level. He's representing the EU agenda as a whole. Regardless of whether it's him or someone else in the role, the effect to Ireland will be unchanged.

Are you serious? Exactly why Italy wanted the economic brief and France wanted the industrial policy/internal market brief. Ireland is a small open economy and we benefit from expansionary trade policies/FTAs - that is not the position of every country. An individual Commissioner does influence policy.

I'd say your a draught's man rather than a chess man and what you demand is irrelevant.

You should be looking at the people who were at the Oireachtas Golf Society dinner but who were not mentioned by name. That's real power. Brian Hayes +3 is where the real scandal lies.

Who were they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Phil Hogan made a bad decision, but let's get real. Is it proportionate for him to resign. He is the European Commmissioner for Trade, that one of the most important positions in the EU, and guess what he is IRISH. He is the guy whom along with Barnier will try and knock out a trade agreement with Boris the bully, relating to BREXIT.

Cop on people, if he goes we lose our representation in Europe particularly regarding agriculture. Do you think a replacement EU Commissioner for Trade, from somewhere like Estonia, is going to have Ireland's back.

Think, before we look for this head on a plate. The old phrase " Cutting off your nose to spite your face" springs to mind.

Strategic thinking is required in this instance. By all mean look for Woulfe's head, he signed off on the Covid legislation so he has no defence. But leave big Phil in place, it's in Ireland's interest.

Did Hogan have Ireland's back with the Mercosur deal he secured?
    Ask the farmers of Ireland how German demands to sell their stuff into S America sold out our beef farmers
    People need to get it into their heads, Hogan nor any other 'Irish' commissioner wears a green jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I'd say your a draught's man rather than a chess man and what you demand is irrelevant.

You should be looking at the people who were at the Oireachtas Golf Society dinner but who were not mentioned by name. That's real power. Brian Hayes +3 is where the real scandal lies.

Your assumptions on my approach to strategy are irrelevant and inaccurate.

What I may demand is not irrelevant to me, and I can take my own personal actions based on the standards that I demand and uphold. I m very capable of making my opinions known and have taken the opportunity to do so on this and other occasions.

If you look at my other posts on the matter, you will know that I am well aware of the other attendees and their motivations. This is not over yet... not by a very long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Ain't no way Phil Hogan is giving up that gig. He gets wined and dined all over Europe, samples the local delicacies and Golf courses whilst getting paid a fortune to do it and rarely has to put his hand in his own pocket. And it's not exactly a people facing job either. He doesn't have to face constituents or the media to get himself re-elected.

Hes basically a background beurocrat, accountable to nobody. And the EU are absolutely filled with Phil Hogans.

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Ask the farmers of Ireland how German demands to sell their stuff into S America sold out our beef farmers
    People need to get it into their heads, Hogan nor any other 'Irish' commissioner wears a green jersey.

Would that deal have been worse if he was not involved? Because they were looking for far more access than they actually got. A German Commissioner would have not have given a care for the Irish beef farmers. Unfortunately that is not something you can measure but the IFA did their usual grandstanding for a few days but privately would have admitted it would have been a lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Announcement from Hogan expected at around 2pm

• Registered Users Posts: 16,360 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Lol.
    Couldn't make this up. He did it to "rein in" a lunatic climate change denier. The mental gymnastics involved in that!

https://greennews.ie/big-phil-mercosur-climate/

Ain't no way Phil Hogan is giving up that gig. He gets wined and dined all over Europe, samples the local delicacies and Golf courses whilst getting paid a fortune to do it and rarely has to put his hand in his own pocket. And it's not exactly a people facing job either. He doesn't have to face constituents or the media to get himself re-elected.

Hes basically a background beurocrat, accountable to nobody. And the EU are absolutely filled with Phil Hogans.

well, today he isn't going by the looks of his latest, longer apology issued juts now.

It's down to Martin and Vradkar following up on their 'no confidence' phone call yesterday and firmly in the EU's court now.

well, today he isn't going by the looks of his latest, longer apology issued juts now.

It's down to Martin and Vradkar following up on their 'no confidence' phone call yesterday and firmly in the EU's court now.
    Then that's pretty much the end of it. Martin and Varadkar just covered their asses.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    Then that's pretty much the end of it. Martin and Varadkar just covered their asses.
    Martin could communicate with the EU Council and express Ireland now has no confidence in him and I think that would make Hogan untenable?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

If he steps down perhaps some of our wonderfuly talented M.E.P. s like Kelliher, Daly, Flanagan or Wallace could be drafted over. Or what about that nice Calleary man? Whats he doing these days?

Martin could communicate with the EU Council and express Ireland now has no confidence in him and I think that would make Hogan untenable?

Same way Poland tried to get rid of the extremely well regarded Donald Tusk. Although I apologise to Donald Tusk in providing any comparison with Phil Hogan.

Doubtful. He's done what he can and one word rules above all - Brexit - they'd prefer to have him there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Cut off our nose to spite our face.

Doubtful. He's done what he can and one word rules above all - Brexit - they'd prefer to have him there.

Also, Martin wouldn't take that step anyway. The "consider your position" call by him and Leo was for the audience at home, not the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Cecilia Malmstrom was the EU trade Commissioner for that trade deal. Hogan was Minister for Agric.

Pity Hogan wasn't Trade Commisioner then, there might have been a better deal.

edit: Just heard a journalist from Farmers Journal saying that it is pure madness to push Hogan for his resignation as Irish agriculture is facing some really difficult times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Hogan issues apologetic statement per Newstalk. No resignation though.

"Basically a shush and go away" It's insincere. The place to do it was on his first press release.

Also, am I right in saying no other commissioner has been sacked/forced to resign?
    I know in 1999, the entire commssion resigned en masse before they were all to be sacked by the parliament over a corruption scandal.

• Advertisement

"Basically a shush and go away" It's insincere. The place to do it was on his first press release.

Text of it is over in the other thread here

Advertisement