Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Martin could communicate with the EU Council and express Ireland now has no confidence in him and I think that would make Hogan untenable?

Might not be a great precendent to be setting to drag domestic politics over into the EU commission like that. I wonder has it happened before?
    That seems to be stepping over a line (to me).
    Has a member state brought pressure to bear to try & get the President to remove a commissioner?
    Seems that sort of thing begins dissolving the lines between the EU and the member states + between different parts of the EU (EU council, commission)
    What happens if another member state government suddenly has "no confidence" in some commisioner we have send over? How does that work?
    Perhaps someone with more knowledge can comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭HBC08

If he'd played MM like a fiddle he would have instructed FG'ers and ex FG'ers not to attend the event. He's not as smooth as you think.

He doesn't even need to be that smooth or clever,a 12 year could outfox MM

Pelezico wrote: »
    Hardly a scandal.

I dont remember as much public anger for any other political scandal.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,360 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

HBC08 wrote: »
    He doesn't even need to be that smooth or clever,a 12 year could outfox MM

A 12 y/o?
    A used tea bag could outwit MM.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

fly_agaric wrote: »
    Might not be a great precendent to be setting to drag domestic politics over into the EU commission like that. I wonder has it happened before?
    That seems to be stepping over a line (to me).
    Has a member state brought pressure to bear to try & get the President to remove a commissioner?
    Seems that sort of thing begins dissolving the lines between the EU and the member states + between different parts of the EU (EU council, commission)
    What happens if another member state government suddenly has "no confidence" in some commisioner we have send over? How does that work?
    Perhaps someone with more knowledge can comment?

Its stepping over a line according to Brigid Laffan (director of Global Gov. Programme of Florence).

https://twitter.com/BrigidLaffan/status/1297450821077082112

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Its a disgrace Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭Augme

Man who doesn't care about Irish people or the public should keep his EU job because when he is in it he will care about irish people and the public. Always amazed how guillable some people are. Phil Hogan only cares about himself, not the Irish people. He has already shown his contempt for Irish people so he isn't going to change now.

Phil Hogan will do what's best for Phil Hogan as EU trade commissioner, not what is best for the Irish people. His loss as EU trade commissioner will have little impact on us. Arguable, having someone who has shown such a contempt for Irish people like Phil has would actually increase our chances of s better deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Also, am I right in saying no other commissioner has been sacked/forced to resign?
    I know in 1999, the entire commssion resigned en masse before they were all to be sacked by the parliament over a corruption scandal.
    Yep, I think that's the only case.

Journalist phone tapping? GUBU? Labour joining FF in 1991? Hep C? Mahon etc? Bertie payments?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

Phishnet wrote: »
    Phil Hogan made a bad decision, but let's get real. Is it proportionate for him to resign. He is the European Commmissioner for Trade, that one of the most important positions in the EU, and guess what he is IRISH. He is the guy whom along with Barnier will try and knock out a trade agreement with Boris the bully, relating to BREXIT.

Cop on people, if he goes we lose our representation in Europe particularly regarding agriculture. Do you think a replacement EU Commissioner for Trade, from somewhere like Estonia, is going to have Ireland's back.

Think, before we look for this head on a plate. The old phrase " Cutting off your nose to spite your face" springs to mind.

Strategic thinking is required in this instance. By all mean look for Woulfe's head, he signed off on the Covid legislation so he has no defence. But leave big Phil in place, it's in Ireland's interest.

He was too thick to know that golf dinner could come back to bite him then maybe he is too thick to think strategically in his job

if he had seen the crowd and gone home instead and then used the opportunity to say “yes I told them this was not right and went home” - now that is thinking strategically

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

jm08 wrote: »
    Its stepping over a line according to Brigid Laffan (director of Global Gov. Programme of Florence).

https://twitter.com/BrigidLaffan/status/1297450821077082112

Yes, it seems dangerous. As I posted before I don't think he should have to resign over this. If Martin etc have now asked him to resign he may well do so, but do not think Martin/Varadkar/Irish Govt. have right or authority to try and have him forced out of the commission.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Hogan issues apologetic statement per Newstalk. No resignation though.

Predictable, he's going nowhere unfortunately.
    He was always going to brazen it out,nobody in a position to sack him is interested in sacking him.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

fly_agaric wrote: »
    Yes, it seems dangerous. As I posted before I don't think he should have to resign over this. If Martin etc have now asked him to resign he may well do so, but do not think Martin/Varadkar/Irish Govt. have right or authority to try and have him forced out of the commission.

They don't and they won't. The decision on his future is with the EU now

The apology shows that he doesn't feel he has to go anywhere. It's lip service. Even the line about respecting Leo's/Michael's view means nothing.

He'll stay on unless the EU push him out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

is_that_so wrote: »
    Yep, I think that's the only case.

www.politico.eu/article/john-dalli-resigns/amp/

Resign and sacked can sometimes be interchangeable

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Predictable, he's going nowhere unfortunately.
    He was always going to brazen it out,nobody in a position to sack him is interested in sacking him.

Its none of our business. He is employed by the EU Commission. If a Dutch Commissioner was at that event, would we be demanding his/her resignation? Hogan doesn't work for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Did Hogan have Ireland's back with the Mercosur deal he secured?
    Ask the farmers of Ireland how German demands to sell their stuff into S America sold out our beef farmers
    People need to get it into their heads, Hogan nor any other 'Irish' commissioner wears a green jersey.
    Mercosur is dead anyway.

Its none of our business. He is employed by the EU Commission. If a Dutch Commissioner was at that event, would we be demanding his/her resignation? Hogan doesn't work for us.
    Yeah, it's primarily being in the possession of an Irish accent and of course being a useless and much disliked former minister.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Journalist phone tapping? GUBU? Labour joining FF in 1991? Hep C? Mahon etc? Bertie payments?

I know of the first two but not old enough to remember properly.
    If you did a poll half of boards wouldn't be able to tell you what the mahon tribunal was about,I'd put the cervical smear scandal ahead of anything on that list.
    However every man ,woman and child in the country is effected by Covid restrictions, lockdown etc, literally everybody in the country is impacted in some way and can relate to it and this is the straw that broke the camel's back.
    I dont think I've ever seen such a reaction.

That's the point I'm trying to make.

Leo on RTE R1 shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 111 ✭✭Wild Field 1831

Probably not as much anger but the Brian Lenihan 'on mature reflection I did not ring the president' in 1990 and Haughey forcing Lenihan to resign was huge at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0823/1160782-phil-hogan/

what a load of bull**** phil.
    you and that judge should resign right now.the majority of people in this country i believe want that and want it now.

If you did a poll half of boards wouldn't be able to tell you what the mahon tribunal was about,I'd put the cervical smear scandal ahead of anything on that list.
    However every man ,woman and child in the country is effected by Covid restrictions, lockdown etc, literally everybody in the country is impacted in some way and can relate to it and this is the straw that broke the camel's back.
    It seems more intense because of our circumstances but it won't linger in the way other worse events have.

I think the resignations of the Taoiseach and the Minister for Health for the Cervical Check scandal was probably bigger. The second Minister for Health resignation arising from the Children’s hospital debacle was probably even more sensational.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I agree. It’s strange that the executive branch of the EU is not answerable to any electorate.

No taxation without representation and all.

I agree. It’s strange that the executive branch of the EU is not answerable to any electorate.

No taxation without representation and all.

It is answerable to the European Parliament who can and have remove the Commission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Phishnet wrote: »
    Phil Hogan made a bad decision, but let's get real. Is it proportionate for him to resign. He is the European Commmissioner for Trade, that one of the most important positions in the EU, and guess what he is IRISH. He is the guy whom along with Barnier will try and knock out a trade agreement with Boris the bully, relating to BREXIT.

Cop on people, if he goes we lose our representation in Europe particularly regarding agriculture. Do you think a replacement EU Commissioner for Trade, from somewhere like Estonia, is going to have Ireland's back.

Think, before we look for this head on a plate. The old phrase " Cutting off your nose to spite your face" springs to mind.

Strategic thinking is required in this instance. By all mean look for Woulfe's head, he signed off on the Covid legislation so he has no defence. But leave big Phil in place, it's in Ireland's interest.

"Boris the bully"
    I'm sure Boris is looking out for his own countries interest.

You want Phil to stay because he will supposedly look out for Ireland's interest in Brexit negotiations.
    Does that not make him "Phil the bully"?

The rest of your post is rational though. Ireland doesn't get to decide if he stays or goes. He wont be going anywhere.
    Hes made his apology and that will be that

Leo starting off saying the Golf event shouldn't have happened and acknowledging the huge damage it's done to the CV-19 response and buy-in. Says Hogan believes he broke no law. May have breached some guidelines but it was an honest mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭timetogo1

"Boris the bully"
    I'm sure Boris is looking out for his own countries interest.

You want Phil to stay because he will supposedly look out for Ireland's interest in Brexit negotiations.
    Does that not make him "Phil the bully"?

The rest of your post is rational though. Ireland doesn't get to decide if he stays or goes. He wont be going anywhere.
    Hes made his apology and that will be that

Really? I don't think Boris is looking out for his countries best interests.

I'd say his priorities are Boris first, then the party, then England and probably then the union.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

timetogo1 wrote: »
    Really? I don't think Boris is looking out for his countries best interests. I thought he just looks after Boris.

I'd say his priorities are Boris first, then the party, then England and probably then the union.

Right

Advertisement