Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

HBC08 wrote: »
    I know of the first two but not old enough to remember properly.
    If you did a poll half of boards wouldn't be able to tell you what the mahon tribunal was about,I'd put the cervical smear scandal ahead of anything on that list.
    However every man ,woman and child in the country is effected by Covid restrictions, lockdown etc, literally everybody in the country is impacted in some way and can relate to it and this is the straw that broke the camel's back.
    I dont think I've ever seen such a reaction.

Am older so don't think it is unprecedented but I get the anger + why the "local"/domestic politicians who attended it have to go. Hogan is a different story imo for a few reasons. I was a bit (edit: actually very) surprised Martin/Varadkar went as far as to ask him to resign. As others posted, maybe that is just to show they are "doing something" & they don't have any expectations.
    I think part of the anger over him is his past reputation. Many people do not like him and get even more annoyed at the idea of him "getting away" with this/being untouchable somehow while others have been punished.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Yeah this Phil Hogan really isn't a nice bloke to put it bluntly. I never really heard much about him until the other day (politics is not something I follow)

From the sounds of it he'll never get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

Hahaha...good man Phil. I am glad this silliness is almost over.

Wait until the leaving results come out. Now that will be toxic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Jizique

Ain't no way Phil Hogan is giving up that gig. He gets wined and dined all over Europe, samples the local delicacies and Golf courses whilst getting paid a fortune to do it and rarely has to put his hand in his own pocket. And it's not exactly a people facing job either. He doesn't have to face constituents or the media to get himself re-elected.

Hes basically a background beurocrat, accountable to nobody. And the EU are absolutely filled with Phil Hogans.

Nigel Farage loves your post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭1641

I haven't read back far but the outcry for Hogan's resignation seems crazy. I know the event was outrageous and all involved should be ashamed of their actions. Also, it was right that Calleary went immediately, as he was involved in drawing up the rules and telling everyone to abide by them. Also the other resignations.

But with Hogan it is a matter of cutting off our noses and our ears and our tongues to spite our faces. He has got a senior role in the Commission, which is not easy to achieve. To have him there, and as Commissioner for Trade, at this time in the Brexit negotiations and the US trade negotiations/ confrontations is the very best we could hope for. He is apparently highly regarded there and certainly influential. A replacement will not have the same clout. To be shouting for his resignation so satisfy some short term emotional release is madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Had a check though some of the more vociferous posters.

Very strange that most of them seem to be always on the attack of anything the government does and quite a few of them supportive of anything SF says.

Seems the SF shill machine is in top gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Yeah this Phil Hogan really isn't a nice bloke to put it bluntly. I never really heard much about him until the other day (politics is not something I follow)

From the sounds of it he'll never get out.

So you never heard much about him until the other day and now you decide is isn’t a nice bloke. In the middle of a media frenzy.

So you never heard much about him until the other day and now you decide is isn’t a nice bloke. In the middle of a media frenzy.

Strange how you seem to be posting all day every day.

Have your masters in Belfast paid you well for this.

As obvious as the day is long that you are a sinn fein shill

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

silver2020 wrote: »
    Had a check though some of the more vociferous posters.

Very strange that most of them seem to be always on the attack of anything the government does and quite a few of them supportive of anything SF says.

Seems the SF shill machine is in top gear.

A lot of SF shills on here..trying to stir up trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

1641 wrote: »
    I haven't read back far but the outcry for Hogan's resignation seems crazy. I know the event was outrageous and all involved should be ashamed of their actions. Also, it was right that Calleary went immediately, as he was involved in drawing up the rules and telling everyone to abide by them. Also the other resignations.

But with Hogan it is a matter of cutting off our noses and our ears and our tongues to spite our faces. He has got a senior role in the Commission, which is not easy to achieve. To have him there, and as Commissioner for Trade, at this time in the Brexit negotiations and the US trade negotiations/ confrontations is the very best we could hope for. He is apparently highly regarded there and certainly influential. A replacement will not have the same clout. To be shouting for his resignation so satisfy some short term emotional release is madness.

I think what's crazy was that people were fully expecting him to resign. It's as if they thought have a go on Twitter carries real weight. It doesn't.

The reality is that one you're in the Commission you don't need or depend on domestic support. As I said he just needs to wait it out until tomorrow and it will fall down the agenda.

• Advertisement

Strange how you seem to be posting all day every day.

Have your masters in Belfast paid you well for this.

As obvious as the day is long that you are a sinn fein shill

I think you should read what I said - I have said sacking Phil Hogan would be a mistake. I have said this is a storm in a tea cup. Is that the line from a Belfast?

I would greatly appreciate if you could withdraw that disgusting allegation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

is_that_so wrote: »
    Journalist phone tapping? GUBU? Labour joining FF in 1991? Hep C? Mahon etc? Bertie payments?

How exactly is Lab and FF a scandal exactly??

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

For a lot of voters it was especially after they "promised" not to go in with them. They lost a lot of support and members over it and rightly got pummelled in 1997. Then we did have a situation with Whelehan and Reynolds when Labour saw the light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

:DFor me personally it was.:D
    The one time I ever voted for Labour they went in with bloody FF
    Same happened to me in 2007, Greens straight into bed with...FF
    I was scandalised I can tell ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Because I read up about him. The whole Irish water thing and more. You know... Doing homework and research. Coming to an informed decision. What normal level headed people do?

Something tells me youre not normal level headed with that post tho. Sounds to me like you got a big wooden spoon out and you're stirring right about now. Bating other people. Prodding them.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It looks like this story will spill into a new week.

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭CertifiedSimp

Big moment for the EU I feel.

At least FF are sacking ministers. Are the EU just going to wait for this and be worse than FFG? Or are they going to show they are for the common person and sack Hogan.

Decisions like these can grow or damage anti-EU sentiment. I am sick of politicians getting away with things when the people want action.

Because I read up about him. The whole Irish water thing and more. You know... Doing homework and research. Coming to an informed decision. What normal level headed people do?

Something tells me youre not normal level headed with that post tho. Sounds to me like you got a big wooden spoon out and you're stirring right about now. Bating other people. Prodding them.

;)

Level headed people usually look at a prism over years. Level headed people recognise that things are not always black and white. And level-headed people certainly don’t base their full analysis of someone in a media frenzy.

No stick but seek your resignation and then wonder afterwards why we lose influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It looks like this story will spill into a new week.
    Some government advisors are hoping it does so there are no schools questions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Just breaking actual footage of the apology.

https://twitter.com/jim_sheridan/status/1297511107863642114?s=21

• Advertisement

Big moment for the EU I feel.

At least FF are sacking ministers. Are the EU just going to wait for this and be worse than FFG? Or are they going to show they are for the common person and sack Hogan.

Decisions like these can grow or damage anti-EU sentiment. I am sick of politicians getting away with things when the people want action.

What? The story has barely made a ripple across the EU. This is an Irish domestic story, not an international one.

Without googling can you tell me the name of the Commissioner from Malta that resigned a few months ago. What was his portfolio?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Just breaking actual footage of the apology.

https://twitter.com/jim_sheridan/status/1297511107863642114?s=21

qRRVrDs.gif

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭CertifiedSimp

What? The story has barely made a ripple across the EU. This is an Irish domestic story, not an international one.

Without googling can you tell me the name of the Commissioner from Malta that resigned a few months ago. What was his portfolio?

So Commissioners can do whatever they want? By the way, the story made the NY Times. It's gone global.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Spokesman for Hogan tells RTE that no he is not be resigning (announced just at the end of the R1 show there)

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

"He is sorry his actions touched a nerve with people ", what a condescending boll!x.

;)

He's Sinn Fein shill - they take their orders from Belfast.

They are told never to actually mention SF, but to do non stop attacks on the government parties no matter who they are.

And as soon as there's any controversy, they are told to ramp it up.

If you look at all those who are posting incessantly, they all follow the same procedure.

they then close accounts and open a new one and start afresh.

Quite simple and quite effective as too many people simply won't think for themselves

strange that not one of these posters had anything to say about the large funeral for a bomb maker in Northern ireland

They are told never to actually mention SF, but to do non stop attacks on the government parties no matter who they are.

If you look at all those who are posting incessantly, they all follow the same procedure.

Quite simple and quite effective as too many people simply won't think for themselves

strange that not one of these posters had anything to say about the large funeral for a bomb maker in Northern ireland

So you are doubling down on that allegation?

Can you please tell me how saying Phil Hogan should not resign is in keeping with what you are contending?

So Commissioners can do whatever they want? By the way, the story made the NY Times. It's gone global.

Pretty much. Unless the actions of a commissioner pull the EU into disrepute (by an egregious breach of the law or corruption) then they can pretty much do what they like, sadly.

Being in the NY times is different to it being an international scandal. There are lots of things the NY times cover that you wouldn't be aware of I'd hazard a guess.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Deflection?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Conspiracy theory alert.

Has it occurred to you that perhaps quite a lot of people simply don't like this government? We live in a democracy and we're free to speak on the merits or demerits of the political organisations that seek to serve us. Time to get used to it.

Advertisement