Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

So Commissioners can do whatever they want? By the way, the story made the NY Times. It's gone global.

Its even made Chinese state media, the Communists are tut tutting at little Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Limpy wrote: »
    Deflection?

Well he is attacking me as a Shinner bot, in the same thread where I have said that I don’t think Phil Hogan should resign. And he was replying to a post from someone saying that the former FG Minister is a nasty person.

I do admit that I did say that the Govt made a mess of things this week (which is fact).

Not sure what the deflection is though as it is all a bit odd.

Yurt! wrote: »
    Conspiracy theory alert.

Has it occurred to you that perhaps quite a lot of people simply don't like this government? We live in a democracy and we're free to speak on the merits or demerits of the political organisations that seek to serve us. Time to get used to it.

Indeed I don’t think this Government will last as it is clearing in crisis and panic. Although I will leave the country if the Shinners get in.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Indeed I don’t think this Government will last as it is clearing in crisis and panic. Although I will leave the country if the Shinners get in.

People said the same If Trump was elected, and guess what, they didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,608 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Big moment for the EU I feel.

At least FF are sacking ministers. Are the EU just going to wait for this and be worse than FFG? Or are they going to show they are for the common person and sack Hogan.

Decisions like these can grow or damage anti-EU sentiment. I am sick of politicians getting away with things when the people want action.

I think the EU has bigger problems to deal with than Phil Hogan attending a gold dinner.

• Advertisement

I came back here last year after a decade abroad and the mess of the last week would not entice me to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Phil Hogan knows full well that EU are too busy to be concerning themselves over this. He'll face the music when he goes back over to Brussels for a day or 2 and then it will be back to normal.

To get sacked as a commissioner you would have to do something seriously bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

This apology will not suffice the Irish people.

The man must go.

The man must go.

Who else needs to go?

Phil Hogan knows full well that EU are too busy to be concerning themselves over this. He'll face the music when he goes back over to Brussels for a day or 2 and then it will be back to normal.

To get sacked as a commissioner you would have to do something seriously bad.

Like put people's life in danger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The man must go.
    He will be going, back to Brussels!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Perhaps he could spare a thought for the many hundreds of thousands that had to leave Ireland out of economic necessity over many decades under the stewardship of FF and FG led governments.

I have quite successful relatives in the US and Aus who wouldn't have kind words to say or be so forgiving when speaking of the calibre of the bright boys and girls who have led Ireland since the foundation of the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The man must go.

The Irish people don't have a say in the matter I'm afraid. That's up to the EU leadership, who aren't accountable to us either.

I came back here last year after a decade abroad and the mess of the last week would not entice me to stay.

Get over it, if that effects your decision on where you live, you are a tad too sensitive.

Pelezico wrote: »
    A lot of SF shills on here..trying to stir up trouble.

Lol. You think anything said on boards influences decision making in this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Also, am I right in saying no other commissioner has been sacked/forced to resign?
    I know in 1999, the entire commssion resigned en masse before they were all to be sacked by the parliament over a corruption scandal.

No. The commissioner from Malta was forced to resign a few months ago for alleged involvement in the corruption scandal that's consumed the Maltese government.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Get over it, if that effects your decision on where you live, you are a tad too sensitive.

Perhaps a tad too sensitive - agreed. Or perhaps better to get ahead of the curve.

But thankfully as a EU citizen I have freedom of movement which I value.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Phishnet wrote: »
    Phil Hogan made a bad decision, but let's get real. Is it proportionate for him to resign. He is the European Commmissioner for Trade, that one of the most important positions in the EU, and guess what he is IRISH. He is the guy whom along with Barnier will try and knock out a trade agreement with Boris the bully, relating to BREXIT.

Cop on people, if he goes we lose our representation in Europe particularly regarding agriculture. Do you think a replacement EU Commissioner for Trade, from somewhere like Estonia, is going to have Ireland's back.

Think, before we look for this head on a plate. The old phrase " Cutting off your nose to spite your face" springs to mind.

Strategic thinking is required in this instance. By all mean look for Woulfe's head, he signed off on the Covid legislation so he has no defence. But leave big Phil in place, it's in Ireland's interest.

This.

Getting Phil Hogan to resign is too much of a price to pay, esepcially when it comes to Brexit.

Cutting off your nose to spite your face!

Lol. You think anything said on boards influences decision making in this country?

And he accused me of being a Shinner bot. Boards is a strange place at times.

Perhaps a tad too sensitive - agreed. Or perhaps better to get ahead of the curve.

But thankfully as a EU citizen I have freedom of movement which I value.

If you are looking for a country where all politicians behave responsibly to live in, let us know if one exists.

• Advertisement

If you are looking for a country where all politicians behave responsibly to live in, let us know if one exists.

No but sometimes better when you don’t understand the news and can be in blissful ignorance. I find it harder to tune out here for obvious reasons and I can honestly admit I don’t help myself at times reacting to things when I shouldn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Level headed people usually look at a prism over years. Level headed people recognise that things are not always black and white. And level-headed people certainly don’t base their full analysis of someone in a media frenzy.

No stick but seek your resignation and then wonder afterwards why we lose influence.

You're some chancer and **** stirrer :pac:
    You ain't fooling anyone bro. You got your stick out and you're prodding people.

You're some chancer and **** stirrer :pac:

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Yurt! wrote: »
    Conspiracy theory alert.

Has it occurred to you that perhaps quite a lot of people simply don't like this government? We live in a democracy and we're free to speak on the merits or demerits of the political organisations that seek to serve us. Time to get used to it.

plenty of people have an opinion, but just look at those posting incessantly and you'll see a pattern.

Very obvious when you dig a little into their posting history.

IMO, MM is not up to the job and Stephen Donnelly has been found out toeb full of hot air.

They made an announcement tuesday night that made no sense. You can't have 50 people in one room at an event on Wednesday, but no problem if it was last Monday or Tuesday.

Of course no problem if it was a wedding or a "cultural" event either.

Knee jerk BS from MM and Donnelly and that's where they ire should be targeted.

No but sometimes better when you don’t understand the news and can be in blissful ignorance. I find it harder to tune out here for obvious reasons and I can honestly admit I don’t help myself at times reacting to things when I shouldn’t.

It astonishes me that politicians the world over think they can do the stupidest things and people won’t find out. Irish politicians are no different to politicians anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Yeah extermely hard to find any country less corrupt than Ireland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption_Perceptions_Index

523998.png

It astonished me that politicians the world over think they can do the stupidest things and people won’t find out. Irish politicians are no different to politicians anywhere else.

It was stupid. And the Minister had to go but it is a circus now.

But in my opinion the decision making process on Monday and Tuesday was far more serious. The media smell blood and we have weak and uncertain leadership so who knows we may well be voting on the next month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

It astonishes me that politicians the world over think they can do the stupidest things and people won’t find out. Irish politicians are no different to politicians anywhere else.
    Despite the image they try to portray, more and more people are waking up to the fact that most politicians just really aren't that bright. Cunning or sly maybe, but intelligent? nah.

silver2020 wrote: »
    plenty of people have an opinion, but just look at those posting incessantly and you'll see a pattern.

Very obvious when you dig a little into their posting history.

IMO, MM is not up to the job and Stephen Donnelly has been found out toeb full of hot air.

They made an announcement tuesday night that made no sense. You can't have 50 people in one room at an event on Wednesday, but no problem if it was last Monday or Tuesday.

Of course no problem if it was a wedding or a "cultural" event either.

Knee jerk BS from MM and Donnelly and that's where they ire should be targeted.

And yet I was saying this and you accused me of being the Shinner.

The biggest mess this week was the panic of calling a Cabinet meeting before getting the key people on board in terms of strategy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I agree. It’s strange that the executive branch of the EU is not answerable to any electorate.

No taxation without representation and all.

But...but...we all elect governments...surely that ensure saccountability when it comes to a supranational autocracy :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Advertisement