Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,608 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Despite the image they try to portray, more and more people are waking up to the fact that most politicians just really aren't that bright. Cunning or sly maybe, but intelligent? nah.

I wouldn’t mind them not being members of Mensa, but you would think that common sense would be a job requirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Despite the image they try to portray, more and more people are waking up to the fact that most politicians just really aren't that bright. Cunning or sly maybe, but intelligent? nah.

Would someone intelligent actually want to do the job? It’s a horrible job - especially now with social media and the mainstream media are expert at sharpening knives also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

[QUOTE=silver2020;114396393]plenty of people have an opinion, but just look at those posting incessantly and you'll see a pattern.

Very obvious when you dig a little into their posting history.

IMO, MM is not up to the job and Stephen Donnelly has been found out toeb full of hot air.

They made an announcement tuesday night that made no sense. You can't have 50 people in one room at an event on Wednesday, but no problem if it was last Monday or Tuesday.

Of course no problem if it was a wedding or a "cultural" event either.

Knee jerk BS from MM and Donnelly and that's where they ire should be targeted.[/QUOTE]

There are people of all political stripes on this site posting incessantly. You're seeing what you want to see and are engaging in conspiracy posting.

Dav010 wrote: »
    I wouldn’t mind them not being members of Mensa, but you would think that common sense would be a job requirement.

There was a distinct lack of cop on. Although as a country we do not really like to offend people and we are very indirect. A Dutch politician would have gone in,
    Seen the set-up and walked right back out again after saying exactly why.

Although, 3 weeks ago it was all about getting things back to normal...then the mess on Tuesday at Cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Dav010 wrote: »
    That and some basic morals, I would be happy with.

• Advertisement

Yurt! wrote: »
    There are people of all political stripes on this site posting incessantly. You're seeing what you want to see and are engaging in conspiracy posting.

Indeed and quite misdirected in this case.

But indeed good advice (for myself) to take time out and watch some Netflix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

He turned replies off on his twitter apology.

Probably off golfing for the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,360 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

There was a distinct lack of cop on. Although as a country we do not really like to offend people and we are very indirect. A Dutch politician would have gone in,

Although, 3 weeks ago it was all about getting things back to normal...then the mess on Tuesday at Cabinet.

An Irish politician walks in, a shur what's the harm, I'm hardly going to drive all the way home again, shur the hotel knows what they're doin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

So it wasn't Phil's fault because he is Irish?
    That's a bit racist.
    We all have personal responsibility.
    An elected representative for this country should know this.

So it wasn't Phil's fault because he is Irish?
    That's a bit racist.
    We all have personal responsibility.
    An elected representative for this country should know this.

I did not say that. I am saying as an Irish person (and sharing that trait) that sometimes we are afraid of offending people rather than doing the right thing.

You can disagree with me on that but it is not racist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

absolute disgrace. took him 3 days to cobble together an apology and only after senior political leaders made him. utter contempt for the irish public. europe need to fire this joker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

I think this non-elected official is being judged to a very high standard

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

I think we have got as much blood out of this one as possible. Take a break and build up our rage again in time to demand Norma Foley's resignation. All you have to do is change the name on the script

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

He’s a liability to the EU. How was he so careless with his career? I’d have thought they’d all learned from the Dominic Cummings situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,679 ✭✭✭storker

smurgen wrote: »
    He’s a liability to the EU. How was he so careless with his career? I’d have thought they’d all learned from the Dominic Cummings situation.

Unfortunately the higher ups often suffer particularly badly from the learning disabilities called "arrogance" and "ego".

That said, I think Hogan should stay put until the Brexit deal is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

storker wrote: »
    Unfortunately the higher ups often suffer particularly badly from the learning disabilities called "arrogance" and "ego".

It would probably be better in the long run for him to remain considering the shìte were going to be up against at the end of the year. He attended something he REALLY shouldnt have but honestly what it feels is more tone deaf and a moment of being an absolute bellend rather than sheer malice. Doesnt in my view deserve a resignation (a bit short of it IMO) but most certainly deserves an absolute bollocking and dressing down. If it was a string of screw ups over a shorter period it'd be a different story entirely tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

storker wrote: »

Its actually far more important that he is left there to negotiate an EU trade deal with the US - (by far Ireland's biggest export market). It seems Hogan has made some success already.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0821/1160611-us-and-eu-agree-limited-trade-deal/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

The organisers need to take a bit more of the responsibility here.

If I was invited to an event organised by an Oireachtas body, I'd take it for granted that the arrangements were within the rules unless it was blatantly obvious that it wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

Phoebas wrote: »
    The organisers need to take a bit more of the responsibility here.

If I was invited to an event organised by an Oireachtas body, I'd take it for granted that the arrangements were within the rules unless it was blatantly obvious that it wasn't.

So your incapable of making up your own mind and just go ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

The Belly wrote: »

I don't think that is what is being said here. One would expect the organisers of this particular event to have followed the guidelines.

• Advertisement

The Belly wrote: »

Not at all. I'm saying that the organisers should take more of the responsibility, not all of it.

But it wouldn't have been obvious to many of the attendees that this was breaching the new regulations (if indeed it was).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

But surely it should indeed have been blatantly obvious to anyone who looked inside the door and saw a room laid out for nearly 100 people, and tables set for 6-10, that the arrangements were not in compliance, if they had half a brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

It hasn't gone away.

But surely it should indeed have been blatantly obvious to anyone who looked inside the door and saw a room laid out for nearly 100 people, and tables set for 6-10, that the arrangements were not in compliance, if they had half a brain.

Not really.

I was in a restaurant on Saturday night that would have had more than 50 people in it.
    I relied on the restaurant owners the regulations were been adhered to.

In the case of the golf dinner, the new regs only came into force a few days previous - it would be no wonder if at least some of the attendees weren't au fait with the updated rules.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Not really.

I was in a restaurant on Saturday night that would have had more than 50 people in it.

In the case of the golf dinner, the new regs only came into force a few days previous - it would be no wonder if at least some of the attendees weren't au fait with the updated rules.

Including those who had drafted and signed off on them?

Including a judge who uses their judgement to convict people of crimes? Should he accept ignorance of the law as a reason to let off somebody who breaks it?

I'm glad to see Vinne weighing in. I miss him.
    https://twitter.com/vincentbrowne/status/1297511103010873344

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

He should not resign
    We will need every bit of influence on the european commision over the next few years, there is no guarantee his replacement will be any good

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

He should not resign
    We will need every bit of influence on the european commision over the next few years, there is no guarantee his replacement will be any good

Well if he is the best we got then god helps us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

He should not resign

What influence, he represents the EU not Ireland. His loyalties are more with Germany and France than us as they have more power

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Not really.

The constantly repeated advice from the DOH briefings is, if you are in any doubt yourself, get out. You don't rely on anyone else to protect your own health.

Advertisement