Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

The Belly wrote: »
    Well if he is the best we got then god helps us.

He is very effective in Europe. So unless he is to be replaced by Mairead McGuinness, leave alone

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Well if he is the best we got then god helps us.
    He's well-regarded in the EU, whatever we may think of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

is_that_so wrote: »
    He's well-regarded in the EU, whatever we may think of him.

Of course he is to the EU. His loyalty to Ireland i dont think so.

He is very effective in Europe. So unless he is to be replaced by Mairead McGuinness, leave alone
    He's safe! She just wants the top chair in the EP, but is also a good operator in her sphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

He should not resign
    We will need every bit of influence on the european commision over the next few years, there is no guarantee his replacement will be any good

He wants Brussels to fix our tax rates in exchange for Covid bailout money

That's the last favour this patriot did for his country

Wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him

• Advertisement

Of course he is to the EU. His loyalty to Ireland i dont think so.
    That's not his job. Countries may pick commissioners but after that they work for the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

I for one want him gone.

Great argument you put forward there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Well he says he's sorry but not resigning. Platitudes but no consequences. He's a product of Irish politics allright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

s1ippy wrote: »
    Including those who had drafted and signed off on them?

Including a judge who uses their judgement to convict people of crimes? Should he accept ignorance of the law as a reason to let off somebody who breaks it?

I'm glad to see Vinne weighing in. I miss him.
    https://twitter.com/vincentbrowne/status/1297511103010873344

Isnt he the lad who said the Provos should be allowed keep small weapons for " disciplinary purposes"

That's not his job. Countries may pick commissioners but after that they work for the EU.

So no accountability

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Add Anne O Connell to that list!

What happened there? Never heard this

So no accountability
    There is. To the head of the EU Commission and the EP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

He is very effective in Europe.

Go on, tell us more.

As effective as Enda was?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

LillySV wrote: »
    What happened there? Never heard this

Minister apologises for crude sexual insult
    "(On) Wednesday, August 24, I and my partner for the past 26 years, Mairtin Mac Cormaic, and a number of other people arrived at Ballyconneely Golf Club in Connemara. As we were entering the clubhouse we met the Minister for the Environment, Mr Phil Hogan, and we greeted each other cordially."

Ms O'Connell who owns a number of buy-to-let properties, said she "took the opportunity to say to him that I hoped he would not 'screw' property owners in promised legislation.

"He replied in a loud voice: 'I have no problem screwing you. Hasn't Mairtin been screwing you for years.' Then he turned his back on me and said: 'Business tomorrow.'...
    Ms O'Connell, who recently celebrated her 70th birthday

The guy just oozes class, doesn't he?

Bowie wrote: »
    Well he says he's sorry but not resigning. Platitudes but no consequences. He's a product of Irish politics allright.

Hope everyone here has sent their email To the email address provided previously demanding his resignation

ec-president-vdl@ec.europa.eu

i'd say he has a strong cultural connection to the southern european commissioners

Unbelievable ... how does someone as smug and trashy as that continue to thrive... should’ve been removed from the Irish political scene ... let alone sent to the eu!!

There is. To the head of the EU Commission and the EP.

I know how it works.

I didnt get a say or nobody else did as citizens. He answers to a greater master not the electorate here and cannot be reprimanded either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

Yes Phil Hogan should resign.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

This we can't leave him resign thing is interesting to me. The threat is another country having their commissioner as his replacement and they're saying we can't risk it. I'm wondering now what's the big deal if they do that? It's not as if this fella care for the welfare of Irish citizens are evident in his actions. Is it more that it would be egg on the face for FG?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,536 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

As much as I think he's a fool and gave a weak apology I'm not sure if demanding the resignation of an Irish EU minister for trade, at this present moment of Brexit negotiations, might be the the smartest strategy. Feels a lot like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,360 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

LillySV wrote: »
    Unbelievable ... how does someone as smug and trashy as that continue to thrive... should’ve been removed from the Irish political scene ... let alone sent to the eu!!

It's way back in 2012, before MeToo, it was harmless "banter" back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

The standard response from an Irish politician is something like "I'm sorry you think I should resign". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Arghus wrote: »
    As much as I think he's a fool and gave a weak apology I'm not sure if demanding the resignation of an Irish EU minister for trade, at this present moment of Brexit negotiations, might be the the smartest strategy. Feels a lot like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

What has he done to evidence that he will work in our best interest? I would actually trust a random European minister more to work in our interests than him.

I dont agree although i do understand your view. I think it would shows some balls. And we are going to need plenty of that in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

It's way back in 2012, before MeToo, it was harmless "banter" back then.

People here are so pious..and holier than thou.

smurgen wrote: »
    What has he done to evidence that he will work in our best interest? I would actually trust a random European minister more to work in our interests than him.
    Our Best interests do not coincide with random EU ministers. We have no guarantee a new commissioner would be from Malta/Cyrpus or any of the smaller Eastern european states

Some quarters are itching to see a bloodbath for what is at worst a fairly poor lapse in judgement by those attending.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

Yes Phil Hogan should resign.

He is the European Commmissioner for Trade a unlected position of power he was selected for by other unelected people.
    Our Elected Irish govement have asked him to think about his position.
    Our elected goverment can not get rid of him.
    The Citizens of the EU can not get rid of him.
    Only the unelected can do anything

No not a bad film its reality.
    There is no way for people of Europe to get rid of this man from his unelected postion of power.

This is the EU commision in motion. totaly unelected totaly unaccountable.

• Advertisement

Some quarters are itching to see a bloodbath for what is at worst a fairly poor lapse in judgement by those attending.

Nobody wants a blood bath but a bit of accountability and responsibility would be great. It sends a message that you answer to the people not to yourself.

Advertisement