Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

is_that_so wrote: »
    Some quarters are itching to see a bloodbath for what is at worst a fairly poor lapse in judgement by those attending.

The people who want the blood bath are the same people who had the opportunity first to form a governement, but didn't seriously try to form a government, as too much responsibility was coming down the line for them( ie presiding over COVID and Brexit)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

The Belly wrote: »
    Nobody wants a blood bath but a bit of accountability and responsibility would be great. It sends a message that you answer to the people not to yourself.

He is an EU commissioner he is not accountable to the citizens of Europe yet alone Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Nobody wants a blood bath but a bit of accountability and responsibility would be great. It sends a message that you answer to the people not to yourself.

Will you resign your job if you break covid rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

LillySV wrote: »
    Hope everyone here has sent their email To the email address provided previously demanding his resignation

ec-president-vdl@ec.europa.eu

You're very innocent if you think they'll give it the time of day. the delete button will be used immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

According to some of the posts on here Big Phil is a current day Fionn MacCumhaill.

Hulk of the Hogans: Our greatest champion, selfless protector of the nation, fearless warrior who stands up for the plain people of Ireland.

All he needs now is a green cape :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

mick087 wrote: »
    He is an EU commissioner he is not accounable to the citizens of Europe yet alone Ireland.

And his behavior and response when all this started proved that. He knows it and doesn't give a damn.

titan18 wrote: »
    Will you resign your job if you break covid rules?

If i was elected made the rules and broke them yes i would.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

He had zero part in making the rules. It is a fundamentally different situation from Calleary.

And his behavior and response when all this started proved that. He knows it and doesn't give a damn.

Why should he give a dam?

he was unelected and totaly accountable.
    Thats the EU commission in motion for all to see quite clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Phil Hogan wasnt elected and didn't make the rules though.

So you're in agreement he shouldnt resign?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

The people who want the blood bath are the same people who had the opportunity first to form a governement, but didn't seriously try to form a government, as too much responsibility was coming down the line for them( ie presiding over COVID and Brexit)

And the same people that broke protocol to attend let’s face a funeral, that would be better served pissing on his grave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

And the same people that broke protocol to attend let’s face a funeral, that would be better served pissing on his grave

Wrong thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭vikings2012

What he did was very wrong.

His initial apology was not sufficient.

It was an idiotic decision made by him.

However, I don’t believe he should resign as commissioner.

If he does Ireland will most likely lose the EU trade portfolio to another member state. We need a commissioner to represent Ireland’s interests on the EU table especially in light of Brexit.

I am angry with him but at the end of the day I care more about the interests of Ireland and the future of Irish trade post Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

If he does Ireland will most likely lose the EU trade portfolio to another member state. We need a commissioner to represent Ireland’s interests on the EU table especially in light of Brexit.

I am angry with him but at the end of the day I care more about the interests of Ireland and the future of Irish trade post Brexit.

He can't represent Ireland's interest - he is employed in a EU capacity. If he showed specific favours towards Ireland he would be in a bigger mess than he is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

How do you know he will use the position to favour Ireland?

He isn't supposed to do that - but as we know he doesn't have the best track record pf knowing right from wrong.

Your quite right.

Heads should of rolled and when a general election comes we have the chance to voice our view on the matter in that democratic thing called voting.

We wont ever get that chance with Phil Hogan he was selected for a unelected postion of power within the unlected and totaly selected EU commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So now it seems Hogan stopped off in Kildare (which was under lockdown) on the way to Galway
    EU Commissioner Phil Hogan travelled to Kildare while it was under lockdown before going to Galway to take part in the controversial Oireachtas Golf Society tournament and dinner, it can be revealed.
    Mr Hogan was staying in a family member’s home in Kilkenny after receiving medical treatment before he travelled to Galway for the golf outing. Kildare was under local lockdown restrictions at the time and people were banned from leaving or entering the county for non essential reasons.

However, a spokesperson for the commissioner has confirmed Mr Hogan entered the lockdown country from Kilkenny to get “personal belongings and essential work documents” before driving to Galway to play golf.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/phil-hogan-now-admits-he-stopped-in-locked-down-kildare-on-way-to-golf-dinner-39471301.html

This drip-feed of information and details makes you wonder even more what actually happened in those weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,688 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Is there no way a direct “sub” can be done to vacate big Phil and put Ireland’s replacement into the trade portfolio ?

Is that totally impossible?

Is there no way a direct “sub” can be done to vacate big Phil and put Ireland’s replacement into the trade portfolio ?

Dismissal. The European Parliament can dissolve the Commission as a whole following a vote of no-confidence but only the President can request the resignation of an individual Commissioner

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Yes.

It's not in Ireland's gift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

Every other country wants one of their people in that job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Your quite right.

Heads should of rolled and when a general election comes we have the chance to voice our view on the matter in that democratic thing called voting.

We wont ever get that chance with Phil Hogan he was selected for a unelected postion of power within the unlected and totaly selected EU commission.

I agree with that sentiment totally - the ballot box is the ultimate judge of charcter and policy. However, as each day and new scandal dawns, the alternatives are becoming more scarce. At this stage it looks like none of the main parties can be trusted to deliver change and improved political standards and the only option is fragmented protest votes that will result in fragile government alliances, at best.

The political future is a worrying place for Ireland at the moment. Unless real leadership emerges soon from the big players - root out the cute hoorism in their own ranks - they will only have themselves to blame for the mess that will come next.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Pelezico wrote: »
    This thread is a joke. The Irish get far too emotional about this.

And all because he wanted to upgrade Irish Water to a proper commercial footing.

You couldn't shill harder if you tried.

For nearly the entirety of 2020, people have been told to restrict their movements, engage in social distancing, not go out, not see relatives, people have lost their jobs and livelihoods, people have lost loved ones and not been able to offer comfort to them as they die and then not be able to attend the funeral.

And you think the Irish are getting too "emotional" about a bunch of **** not giving a damn and flitting off to golf engagements.

The joke in this thread is you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Wrong thread!

It’s all relevant, what’s good for the goose is good for the gander . Sf broke the rules brazen as u get with no remorse.
    It’s very wrong what Phil hogan has done but Ireland will be worse off if he’s gone . There will be a time to give him he’s walking papers but it’s not now .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

We could replace him with Fish from Marillion, nobody would ever notice :pac:
    interv76.jpg

Phoebas wrote: »
    Yes.

It's not in Ireland's gift.

Why not just say - we want to replace hogan with mr new guy in the same portfolio

I reckon VDL would do it as it means minimum disruption for her

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Your quite right.

Haha let me guess sinn fein ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

wrangler wrote: »
    You're very innocent if you think they'll give it the time of day. the delete button will be used immediately

I’d doubt that would be the reaction ... I’m sure they have to have follow up on some way... no more that if you got in touch with a govt sept here

Dismissal. The European Parliament can dissolve the Commission as a whole following a vote of no-confidence but only the President can request the resignation of an individual Commissioner

You miss my point with respect

I’m saying can we sub a new guy into the same portfolio after big Phil goes?

I don’t see why not

It would certainly put a big pin in the balloon that’s being flown lately that big Phil’s job is too important to let him go

• Advertisement

Ger Roe wrote: »
    I agree with that sentiment totally - the ballot box is the ultimate judge of charcter and policy. However, as each day and new scandal dawns, the alternatives are becoming more scarce. At this stage it looks like none of the main parties can be trusted to deliver change and improved political standards and the only option is fragmented protest votes that will result in fragile government alliances, at best.

The political future is a worrying place for Ireland at the moment. Unless real leadership emerges soon from the big players - root out the cute hoorism in their own ranks - they will only have themselves to blame for the mess that will come next.

Its all we have is the vote, its a powerful tool for change, some dont want us to have this tool.

Advertisement