Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,688 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just so we are clear I’m saying

Big Phil out (resigns or dismisses)

New guy in

Same portfolio same role

I reckon vdl would do it to keep the peace

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

LillySV wrote: »
    I’d doubt that would be the reaction ... I’m sure they have to have follow up on some way... no more that if you got in touch with a govt sept here
    I would have thought you would get an automatic e-mail back straight away saying- we have recieved your mail and will get back to you when we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Is there no way a direct “sub” can be done to vacate big Phil and put Ireland’s replacement into the trade portfolio ?

Is that totally impossible?

Absolutely impossible. Commissioners need to be approved by the European Parliament. In the most recent election of the Commission, two nominees by two countries were rejected by the Parliament. Their countries had to nominate someone else.

If you want to get rid of Phil, why not contact Clare Daly, Mick Wallace and Ming Flanagan. I'm sure they would go bullheaded for Big Phil in the European Parliament demanding his resignation!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The German Handelsblatt (sort of like the Financial Times in German) on Hogan right now

https://www.handelsblatt.com/politik/international/umstrittenes-dinner-eu-kommissar-hogan-will-nach-verstoss-gegen-corona-regeln-im-amt-bleiben/26120302.html

The article deals with his attendance, his apology etc.
    It further mentions that he is in a pretty strong position as the Irish Government can't force his resignation...furthermore there is no resignation "culture" in the EU commission. The last time someone resigned from there is 21 years ago.

Most interesting however is how they see his role.
    No mention of Brexit. Instead they point out how important he is in de-escalating the current trade war with the US...so nothing about Irish interest there, I'm afraid.
    They also mention that the Oireachtas Golf Society brought Hogan into hot water before, ten years ago when he accepted an all expenses paid golfing trip to Turkey celebrating 90 years of Turkish parliament ...at least the man has form :D
    Seine Hauptaufgabe ist es, den Handelsstreit mit den USA zu entschärfen. Sowohl Hogan als auch der amerikanische Handelsbeauftragte Robert Lighthizer betonten noch am Freitag, dass der nun begonnene Entspannungsprozess zu weiteren Zollvereinbarungen führen werde.
    Die Oireachtas Golf Society hatte Hogan bereits vor zehn Jahren politischen Ärger eingebracht. Damals nahm der irische Politiker die Einladung zu einer bezahlten Reise in die Türkei zu den Feierlichkeiten anlässlich des 90. Geburtstages des türkischen Parlaments inklusive eines Golfturniers an.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

Haha let me guess sinn fein ?

Nope they would not get my vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

jm08 wrote: »
    Absolutely impossible. Commissioners need to be approved by the European Parliament. In the most recent election of the Commission, two nominees by two countries were rejected by the Parliament. Their countries had to nominate someone else.

If you want to get rid of Phil, why not contact Clare Daly, Mick Wallace and Ming Flanagan. I'm sure they would go bullheaded for Big Phil in the European Parliament demanding his resignation!

At least Wallace isn’t frightened to call out the corruption that’s going on with nama at present

Can they not just do a straight swap and say to the Eu parl just vote them in to same position as big Phil had

• Registered Users Posts: 33,134 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/phil-hogan-now-admits-he-stopped-in-locked-down-kildare-on-way-to-golf-dinner-39471301.html?__twitter_impression=true

Not sure if this has been posted but he is now admitting going into Kildare and leaving when it was in lockdown....don't think this story going away anytime soon

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Just so we are clear I’m saying

Big Phil out (resigns or dismisses)

New guy in

Same portfolio same role

I reckon vdl would do it to keep the peace

She absolutely would not do it. Its her commission and she assigns portfolios. The Commissioners do not work for their nominated member state and this would fundamentally undermine that. It would be akin to a byelection replacing a minister into the same portfolio in government.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I hope he doesn't resign, if only to anger the haters more at this point.

Too much anger and begrudgery, for attending a golf day out. One golf function does not make him a bad or an incompetent politician.

People need to get over themselves. Most of the hatred is coming from lefties who are looking to stick it in over the water charges and because he is a big fat cat. Not because he can't do his job. That stinks of hypocrisy and double standards.

In saying that I do feel sorry for families who could not grieve their loved ones, I get it and understand why they would be angry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

A moron eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

gmisk wrote: »
    https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/phil-hogan-now-admits-he-stopped-in-locked-down-kildare-on-way-to-golf-dinner-39471301.html?__twitter_impression=true

Not sure if this has been posted but he is now admitting going into Kildare and leaving when it was in lockdown....don't think this story going away anytime soon

A spokesperson for Hogan said only stopped at a relatives house to get belongs and important work documents.

Does that even matter? Shouldn't he not have stopped Kildare at all? Or even entered?

And why were "important work documents" in a relatives house?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Mary Lou.

What a hypocrite.

Worst opposition leader in history.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    She absolutely would not do it. Its her commission and she assigns portfolios. The Commissioners do not work for their nominated member state and this would fundamentally undermine that. It would be akin to a byelection replacing a minister into the same portfolio in government.

Well then if they do not work for their member state why are ppl saying he would give help to Ireland in the Brexit talks?

He either is completely working for the EU or not

• Registered Users Posts: 86,823 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

gmisk wrote: »

Was the golf society event "essential travel" is that what he is claming

I hope Brussells sack him, he is very arrogant

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Mary Lou.

What a hypocrite.

Worst opposition leader in history.

I'd be more worried about the clowns actually running the country. Any thoughts on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

A spokesperson for Hogan said only stopped at a relatives house to get belongs and important work documents.

Does that even matter? Shouldn't he not have stopped Kildare at all? Or even entered?

And why were "important work documents" in a relatives house?

He is digging an even bigger hole for himself with this

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I hope he doesn't resign, if only to anger the haters more at this point.

Too much anger and begrudgery, for attending a golf day out. One golf function does not make him a bad or an incompetent politician.

People need to get over themselves. Most of the hatred is coming from lefties who are looking to stick it in over the water charges and because he is a big fat cat. Not because he can't do his job. That stinks of hypocrisy and double standards.

In saying that I do feel sorry for families who could not grieve their loved ones, I get it and understand why they would be angry.

Nope. The issue is the flagrant disrespect the individuals involved showed for the regulations and restrictions that they expect the rest of us to abide by (under penalty of fines or jail time in some cases). This is then compounded by the initial attempts to offer a superficial apology or pass the buck when caught out.

Nothing to do with "lefties" or any other irrelevant tag you might ascribe to views you disagree with. Views I might add that seem to be shared by most of the country at the moment.

There's no "reds under the bed" here for you to point to I'm afraid. All you're doing is belittling any actual point you're trying to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I'd be more worried about the clowns actually running the country. Any thoughts on them?

A whole other can of worms:) but the way things are looking it will be election time soon.

We can vote the clowns as you call them out of power at the next election.

We cannot do this with Phil Hogan because he was selected for an unelected postion with the unelected EU commission who are not accountable to its people.

Also this thread is about Should Phil Hogan resign.

• Advertisement

mick087 wrote: »
    We can vote the clowns as you call them out of power at the next election.

We cannot do this with Phil Hogan because he was selected for an unelected postion with the unelected EU commission who are not accountable to its people.

Also this thread is about Should Phil Hogan resign.

Correct. So why did someone bring the Shinners in?
    Deflection perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Minister apologises for crude sexual insult

The guy just oozes class, doesn't he?

That's a crass scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Unfortunately, it serves the Country much better to have Hogan in place as the current Commissioner and in his current portfolio with the Brexit talks crunch coming.

It doesn't make what he did turning up to the bash any less stupid, but there are bigger fish to be fried over the next while. Nobody knows that better than Meehole and Leo either.

The reason you won't hear another peep from the Commission about it is that undoubtedly other Commissioners have gone on holidays around the continent in slightly less than perfect public health protocol observance and they won't want to kick over that particular hornet's nest.

The main focus with this thing is the lack of political leadership and messaging for office holders not to be hypocrits. Thats for Meehole and the Ceann Comhairle to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Can they not just do a straight swap and say to the Eu parl just vote them in to same position as big Phil had

That would go down well with the European Parliament - telling them how to vote!

The EU Commission want Hogan because a) he is familiar with the Agriculture which is usually the most troublesome when it comes to trade deals. Trade is a really important for the EU and they would want a very experienced person to be Trade Commissioner.

Hogan is really highly rated in the EU. Last Friday the EU signed a mini trade deal ice breaker with the US and are now hoping to move on to bigger things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

You miss my point with respect

I’m saying can we sub a new guy into the same portfolio after big Phil goes?

I don’t see why not

It would certainly put a big pin in the balloon that’s being flown lately that big Phil’s job is too important to let him go

You dont see why not because you don't know how the E.U. Commission operates.
    Its not all about little Ireland and far more powerful countries in the E.U. would like to get his portfolio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

How is it people can't reply to his recent thread on twitter? I've been using it for nearly 10 years and I've never seen that before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Mary Lou.

What a hypocrite.

Worst opposition leader in history

It's a split between Enda Kenny asking Bertie to spend more during the boom or Michael Martin being in "opposition" to Varadkar's government.

Correct. So why did someone bring the Shinners in?
    Deflection perhaps.

I have no idea it does seem strange they would bring them into it.
    Maybe they was hoping i was for some crazy reason.

How is it people can't reply to his recent thread on twitter? I've been using it for nearly 10 years and I've never seen that before.

He's blocked replies according to some journos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

This is turning into a witch hunt, the media are going after him full throttle, damn.

Advertisement