Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

jm08 wrote: »
    That would go down well with the European Parliament - telling them how to vote!

The EU Commission want Hogan because a) he is familiar with the Agriculture which is usually the most troublesome when it comes to trade deals. Trade is a really important for the EU and they would want a very experienced person to be Trade Commissioner.

Hogan is really highly rated in the EU. Last Friday the EU signed a mini trade deal ice breaker with the US and are now hoping to move on to bigger things.

So is Phil. There is a large pension pot at risk here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

Minister apologises for crude sexual insult

The guy just oozes class, doesn't he?

Were people up in arms about this in 2012 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Were people up in arms about this in 2012 ?

Water charges was probably to the fore then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Ger Roe wrote: »
    He can't represent Ireland's interest - he is employed in a EU capacity. If he showed specific favours towards Ireland he would be in a bigger mess than he is now.

He is employed in an EU capacity yes to represent member states but he will still have the bias of being an Irishman at the negotiating table.

Whilst his remit is not to act as Irishman, I have no doubt it will make for better negotiations. Europe needs a tough approach in dealing with them and our own interests are a huge part in that given the border situation.

I detest the guy but I think losing his commissioner position could be quite the negative for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

Ger Roe wrote: »
    So is Phil. There is a large pension pot at risk here. :)

Your forgetting about the book deal:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

mick087 wrote: »
    We cannot do this with Phil Hogan because he was selected for an unelected postion with the unelected EU commission who are not accountable to its people.

Also this thread is about Should Phil Hogan resign.

Thats not true. They were elected by the European Parliament. They have a similar system to how the US appoint people with a hearing by select committees in the house.

Here is a link to Phil Hogans interrogation by the Euorpean Parliament. It went on for a couple of hours (and there are a couple of videos to it). The Parliament also have to approve a Commissioners Programme of Work.

https://multimedia.europarl.europa.eu/en/hearing-of-phil-hogan-commissioner-designate-trade-questions-and-answers-part-5_I178231-V_v

• Registered Users Posts: 15,688 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Edgware wrote: »
    You dont see why not because you don't know how the E.U. Commission operates.
    Its not all about little Ireland and far more powerful countries in the E.U. would like to get his portfolio

So tell me

Does big Phil as a commissioner completely prioritize the interests of the EU as a whole

Or is he biased towards Ireland in the Brexit talks for example???

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Water charges was probably to the fore then.

I was not in the country then. I've paid water charges in nearly every country I've lived.

Didn't understand why so many people were wetting the bed over it.

So this woman's story was ignored? That is pretty self wish of people. Plus a bit thick. You could have used it against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, it serves the Country much better to have Hogan in place as the current Commissioner and in his current portfolio with the Brexit talks crunch coming.

It doesn't make what he did turning up to the bash any less stupid, but there are bigger fish to be fried over the next while. Nobody knows that better than Meehole and Leo either.

The reason you won't hear another peep from the Commission about it is that undoubtedly other Commissioners have gone on holidays around the continent in slightly less than perfect public health protocol observance and they won't want to kick over that particular hornet's nest.

The main focus with this thing is the lack of political leadership and messaging for office holders not to be hypocrits. Thats for Meehole and the Ceann Comhairle to deal with.

The other unelected members of the unelected commission maybe on holiday or maybe not, but im sure will be informed of what is going on.

Being selected rather than elected they will not say anything for doing so will make there unelected positions weak.

Mock our goverment yes but at least we have a voice we have a vote.

Next election use your vote wisely, remember you have voted for this govement your will never get the chance to vote for Phil Hogan or any other commissioner of the EU.

jm08 wrote: »
    Thats not true. They were elected by the European Parliament. They have a similar system to how the US appoint people with a hearing by select committees in the house.

Here is a link to Phil Hogans interrogation by the Euorpean Parliament. It went on for a couple of hours (and there are a couple of videos to it). The Parliament also have to approve a Commissioners Programme of Work.

https://multimedia.europarl.europa.eu/en/hearing-of-phil-hogan-commissioner-designate-trade-questions-and-answers-part-5_I178231-V_v

Where do i put my number or x in the voting sheet for Phil Hogan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

The other unelected members of the unelected commission maybe on holiday or maybe not, but im sure be well informed of what is going on.

You have a giant bee in your bonnet about "unelected".
    What is so wonderful about every position from bottle washer to president being "elected" anyway?
    So what if part of the EUs executive are unelected? It's just a bullshít talking point that I think originated with Eurosceptics in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

We elect Governments, who appoint thousands of officials, both high profile and no profile to work on our behalf.

Did you elect the Garda Commissioner, or the Chief Medical Officer, or the Head of the EPA for example?

People need to get past this daft narrative.

Did you elect the Garda Commissioner, or the Chief Medical Officer, or the Head of the EPA for example?

No didnt get the option. Be nice if we could and be able to make an informed decision.

fly_agaric wrote: »
    You have a giant bee in your bonnet about "unelected".
    What is so wonderful about every position from bottle washer to president being "elected" anyway?
    So what if part of the EUs executive are unelected? It's just a bullshít talking point that I think originated with Eurosceptics in the UK.

A bottle washer does not have the position of power that the European Commissioner for Trade would have or any EU Commissioner would have.

Phil Hogan did wrong how do we get rif of him?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Our Best interests do not coincide with random EU ministers. We have no guarantee a new commissioner would be from Malta/Cyrpus or any of the smaller Eastern european states

Our best interests do not coincide with Phil Hogan’s. FG are forever mocking nationalism and now we’re meant to believe in Phil Hogans invisible nationalism. Laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The Belly wrote: »
    No didnt get the option. Be nice if we could and be able to make an informed decision.

Wouldn't you think we might get better turnout so for constitutional referendums, where people do actually get to make policy defining decisions and yet 50 or 60% usually don't want to bother their fat holes!!!

Stupid bloody narrative around this whole thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

smurgen wrote: »
    Our best interests do not coincide with Phil Hogan’s. FG are forever mocking nationalism and now we’re meant to believe in Phil Hogans invisible nationalism. Laughable.

Our own government don’t look out for our interests ffs...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Issues like this show why we should be electing our judges, garda commissioner and the eu position hogan holds should be easier to remove than it appears to be.

Put in position by friends and allies means it's so much more difficult to remove any of them if need be.

We've seen this with past garda commissioners for example, and judges for that matter.

Like fools we've listened to the government and hse since March and this is our thanks.

Sack phil hogan or make him resign. And then the public should start and the others involved in this debacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Phil Hogan did wrong how do we get rif of him?

"You" can't get "rid" of him. He's annoyed you so now you want rid immediately.
    So is that your issue with the nature of "unelected"?

You won't be able to "get rid" of anyone in the Dail either for another few years whatever they get up to despite them being directly elected.

Issues like this show why we should be electing our judges, garda commissioner and the eu position hogan holds should be easier to remove than it appears to be.

Put in position by friends and allies means it's so much more difficult to remove any of them if need be.

We've seen this with past garda commissioners for example, and judges for that matter.

Like fools we've listened to the government and hse since March and this is our thanks.

Sack phil hogan or make him resign. And then the public should start and the others involved in this debacle.

Excellent post i could not agree more, excellent.

• Advertisement

You won't be able to "get rid" of anyone in the Dail either for another few years whatever they get up to despite them being directly elected.

And why not? They have a no confidence votes in the Dail why cant we in circumstances like this or similar? Its not as serious but did you vote for the bail out of the banks? I didnt.

Can you not imagine how bad the country will get if the public are choosing who presides over courts and who is the top cop in the country?

No this is not a personel issue of some one annoying another. Why do you try to make this out to be?

Your correct the irish people and the citizens of the EU will never have the chance to vote out any EU commissioner.

Unelected is the nature of my issue.

Phil Hogan is unelected and not accountable to anyone but the unelected EU commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

The Belly wrote: »
    And why not? They have a no confidence votes in the Dail why cant we in circumstances like this or similar? Its not as serious but did you vote for the bail out of the banks? I didnt.

He is not answerable to the Dail. He is completely independent of the Irish Government.
    TEU Art 17 wrote:
    In carrying out its responsibilities, the Commission shall be completely independent. Without prejudice to Article. 17 18(2), the members of the Commission shall neither seek nor take instructions from any Government or other institution, body, office or entity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

now big Phil's story has changed he did go back to kildare before going to galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

people watched relatives die on ipads or outside windows, health staff got sick
    and are still getting sick, and this pompous arrogant scumbag pisses all over it
    for the sake of f*cking golf ...

get the f*ck out of office

people watched relatives die on ipads or outside windows, health staff got sick
    and are still getting sick, and this pompous arrogant scumbag pisses all over it
    for the sake of f*cking golf ...

get the f*ck out of office

He wasn't't the only one.

And the management of golf club are not innocent either.

I read the Guards were review CCTV footage of the event. Can these people actually be prosecuted ?

For now someone needs to name and shame by publishing a list of names of the guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

He wasn't't the only one.

And the management of golf club are not innocent either.

I read the Guards were review CCTV footage of the event. Can these people actually be prosecuted ?

For now someone needs to name and shame by publishing a list of names of the guests.

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN
    is the thread title

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

smurgen wrote: »

Thought it was Barnier myself who was looking after our Brexit concerns.

Advertisement