Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

regulators wrote: »
    No need for Calleary or Hogan to resign.

This is way over the top.

A simple wage fine and a apology would suffice.

Normally, I’m not one for looking for resignations but they absolutely had to resign. There are people out there who can’t earn a living because of the government guidelines. They are under massive financial pressure and stress. There are people out there potentially going to lose their business because of a freak event completely beyond their control. There are people who’ve had to forego holidays. There are people suffering mentally because of the guidelines.

You cannot maintain any authority over the population if you’re imposing these sorts of rules on them and allowing your ministers to flout those rules particularly for something as trivial as a golf event.

They had to resign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

AMKC wrote: »
    Euronews have the story about him resigning and mention that Phil Hogan was at it on there The Cube section as well. So someone here said it would not even be on any other news in Europe was wrong. It has made international news.

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/08/20/world/europe/20reuters-health-coronavirus-ireland.html

regulators wrote: »
    No need for Calleary or Hogan to resign.

This is way over the top.

A simple wage fine and a apology would suffice.

Poor. 2/10. Must try harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Jizique

Could the Irish government recall him like an ambassador and send a replacement. I dont see this happening either.

Why give Farage the win?
    Unless you support the extreme right wing Brits?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,887 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Cyrus wrote: »
    doesnt matter, rules are the same for all, and i am outraged, literally frothing at the mouth.

Phil Hogan didnt make the laws here either so he is in the same boat as them right?

Given his position, flouting the rules we're all supposed to abide by for a golfing dinner, yes he's in the same boat as them. People have sacrificed going to funerals, people have cancelled their own weddings, baptisms... there have even been new parents who after the birth the father has had to leave the hospital and not see their partner or child again until picking them up from the hospital a few days later, and the mother having to stay in the hospital alone. This dinner was not an event that needed in any way shape or form to happen. The rulemakers who think the rules don't apply to them.

I doubt he'll resign, and I'm conflicted on what his resignation may do considering his position and the current quandry the whole country is in economically.

But attending the dinner was an absolutely idiotic thing to do and he should rightfully be called to task for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

I'd go as far to say that Callery should be forced to quit his TD seat also.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Podge_irl wrote: »
    He shouldn't have gone and it was a spectacular lack of judgement, but ultimately people's mood is somewhat irrelevant. It is not exactly going to be hard for his to "brazen the storm" in Ireland when his job is in Brussels and not contingent upon the Irish people or parliament anymore.

I dont think he's going anywhere personally either but i wouldnt be so quick to misjudge the public mood or how long this will drag on in the media. Sarah McInerney was asking guests on her show whether the government might recall him but I'm not aware it would have that power even if it wanted to. He could be at least a bit contrite anyway, thats not much to ask.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I dont think he's going anywhere personally either but i wouldnt be so quick to misjudge the public mood or how long this will drag on in the media. Sarah McInerney was asking guests on her show whether the government might recall him but I'm not aware it would have that power even if it wanted to. He could be at least a bit contrite anyway, thats not much to ask.

I'm not judging the public mood at all, I'm saying its irrelevant. The govt can't recall him and I somewhat doubt he ever planned to run for any office in Ireland again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Amusing thread.

What it doesn't tell us is who wanted Hogan gone before this story broke - my suspicion is that the vast majoity of posters did.

I didn't. But now I definitely do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Good ole jobs for the boys phil has tweeted.no apology no resignation just a tweet.
    Keep up the arrogance phil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Good ole jobs for the boys phil has tweeted.no apology no resignation just a tweet.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I'm not judging the public mood at all, I'm saying its irrelevant. The govt can't recall him and I somewhat doubt he ever planned to run for any office in Ireland again.

He was re-nominated as EU Commissioner by Leo in 2019 so might have hoped/expected to be re-appointed again by Leo who will be Taoiseach (in the unlikely event that the government hasn't fallen to bits by then!) in 2024. I certainly can't see that happening now.

So when this term ends, he'll be looking around for lucrative directorships - Charlie McCreevy managed to hoover up a few after his spell as Commissioner.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Denny61

He,s such an arrogant individual. And bully !!! First he tells us he only attended the event when he was told that all necessary precautions wer implemented adhering to covid rules.in the hotel.so why did he stay at the event if he then felt compromised by such a large gathering way over the allowed number of people...the irony of it all ..

I'm quoting this for you as you only managed to post it twice.

Wouldn't do for someone to miss it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Never been a fan of Phil Hogan but there is a difference here between him and current members of the Oireachtas. He had no part in making the rules which were broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Just waiting for the photo of Big Phil to emerge swigging a pint down in the local during his quarantine.

i predict something like this by end of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Ned Led Zeppo

The hotel get's off Scot-free as well, they should have cancelled the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

The hotel get's off Scot-free as well, they should have cancelled the event.

I believe the event is being investigated by the Gardaí. The hotel might have questions to answer yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

quokula wrote: »
    Why exactly would we want someone who's fighting our corner during Brexit negotiations to resign and most likely be replaced with somebody from another country who won't have as much interest in Ireland?

Because he had dinner out during lockdown? It was a stupid thing to do but I assume the other million plus people in the country who have also done that at some point should resign from their jobs too by that logic?

Kind of gas if due to aload of indignant roaring from here he got replaced with someone from Central/Eastern Europe who really couldn't give a bollix about the Brits or Brexit!

I think Brexit is an afterthought now for most of the EU which may present some dangers for us next year. It is helpful that the trade commissioner is Irish and has knowledge of the issues as they relate to this country.

edit: we would appoint another commissioner, but was unsure if his/her responsibilities would be the same or could there be changes?

• Registered Users Posts: 52,017 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Hogan resorting to the old “ it was someone else’s fault “.
    Not really a defence, just like ignorance,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

And the judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

I for one want him gone.

I wanted this smug waste of taxpayers money gone years ago!!! If he isn’t pushed out of his position by this then people should be hitting the streets to protests

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Does his pension get effected if he resigns instead of fired?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭bikeman1

The story that just keeps on giving and giving!

Gavan Reilly has tweeted to say that big Phil was supposedly staying in Co. Kildare for his period of restricted movements. Of course as we all know Kildare is in a lockdown and travel outside of the county is not permitted! If that is true, he 100% has to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

silver2020 wrote: »
    oh ffs, the covid police are at it again.

Your email will go immediately into the trash bin where it belongs.
    Are you Big Phil's bit on the side or something? You are in every thread defending him and his golf buddies and talking rubbish about 'covid police'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

So when this term ends, he'll be looking around for lucrative directorships - Charlie McCreevy managed to hoover up a few after his spell as Commissioner.

Afair he was the first, (maybe still the only?) former commissioner who had to step down from a job he took up afterwards due to conflicts of interest/ethics issues. Make of that what you will.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/mccreevy-resigns-from-bank-board-1.865250

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

fly_agaric wrote: »
    Kind of gas if due to aload of indignant roaring from here he got replaced with someone from Central/Eastern Europe who really couldn't give a bollix about the Brits or Brexit!

I think Brexit is an afterthought now for most of the EU which may present some dangers for us next year. It is helpful that the trade commissioner is Irish and has knowledge of the issues as they relate to this country.

What makes you think he has the interests of the Irish people at heart anyway?. He didn't show any signs of it when he went to the golf outing. Maybe he has some Irish interests at heart, big business in the meat processing industry and golfing friends?

We need and deserve better leadership and have a right to expect higher standards from our representatives. I thought the days of the Galway Races Tent politics were over.... it seems not. The circle of privilege lives on, it has just moved location.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Hulk Hogan is an arrogant bully and those are qualities that can take you far in politics.
    He doesn't give a crap what the Irish people say about him, he knows his cushy EU job is safe, he is probably loving all this.
    You can expect to see lots of photos of his superior s..t-eating grin in the near future.

fly_agaric wrote: »
    Afair he was the first, (maybe still the only?) former commissioner who had to step down from a job he took up afterwards due to conflicts of interest/ethics issues. Make of that what you will.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/mccreevy-resigns-from-bank-board-1.865250

Thanks. I didn't know that. I suspect that for Big Phil, ethics is a county on the South East Coast of England.

• Advertisement

bikeman1 wrote: »
    The story that just keeps on giving and giving!

Gavan Reilly has tweeted to say that big Phil was supposedly staying in Co. Kildare for his period of restricted movements. Of course as we all know Kildare is in a lockdown and travel outside of the county is not permitted! If that is true, he 100% has to go!

Toast if true.

The head of the EU Ursula von der Leyen should be telling him to take a hike.

Advertisement