Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Thought it was Barnier myself who was looking after our Brexit concerns.
    Barnier is dealing with Brexit; Hogan will deal with the FTA that comes after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

markodaly wrote: »
    This.

Getting Phil Hogan to resign is too much of a price to pay, esepcially when it comes to Brexit.

Cutting off your nose to spite your face!

People keep going on about how Phil Hogan is vital in his position but can somebody please actually provide some evidence that this is the case as I have not seen it myself.

Like a clear example of Hogan acting to defend Irish interests and not something that benefits France and Germany which coincides with Irish interests.
    His views on EU taxation in relation to Ireland and Covid funding are clearly against long term Irish interests for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

people watched relatives die on ipads or outside windows, health staff got sick
    and are still getting sick, and this pompous arrogant scumbag pisses all over it
    for the sake of f*cking golf ...

get the f*ck out of office

Its not that easy when some are not elected into there postions of power.
    Name calling wont help it will only give his defenders ammunition to take more democracy away from the people and elected politicians and give it to the unelected.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Jimi H

It remains to be seen whether he goes or not but I do think for the first time we are starting to hold our politicians to account to this level. I think 10 years ago the 2 FF ministers would have been able to shrug their shoulders and brazenly hold out. With Hogan, I think he should go but it’s hard to say as I suspect he’s paid directly by the EU? He’s probably undermining the government by staying on but I’m not sure if he would bow to pressure from Varadkar or anyone else.

Jimi H wrote: »
    It remains to be seen whether he goes or not but I do think for the first time we are starting to hold our politicians to account to this level. I think 10 years ago the 2 FF ministers would have been able to shrug their shoulders and brazenly hold out. With Hogan, I think he should go but it’s hard to say as I suspect he’s paid directly by the EU? He’s probably undermining the government by staying on but I’m not sure if he would bow to pressure from Varadkar or anyone else.

He is specifically prevented from bowing to pressure from Varadkar or anyone else.

TEU Art 17 wrote:
    In carrying out its responsibilities, the Commission shall be completely independent. Without prejudice to Article. 17 18(2), the members of the Commission shall neither seek nor take instructions from any Government or other institution, body, office or entity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

So tell me

Does big Phil as a commissioner completely prioritize the interests of the EU as a whole

Or is he biased towards Ireland in the Brexit talks for example???

His job is to look after the best interests of all E.U. members. He cannot be seen to favour Ireland at the expense of another member country or countries . All this "wearing the green jersey" ****e talk is exactly that ****e talk. However in the event of some proposal being to Irelands disadvantage it would be hoped that Hogan would be able to lessen the disadvantage or compensate Ireland otherways. When the E.U. wanted to reduce sugar production from sugar beet Irelands producers and manufacturers were given a financial compensation package. Hogan would be in a position to influence the level of such package if it came to some other proposal e.g reduce Irelands pig production.

Of course why Ireland agreed to the closing of the sugar factories is hard to fathom.
    Carlow and Mallow factories were taken apart and rebuilt in eastern Poland. Drive through Germany, Poland etc and you will see acres of sugar beet growing. Meanwhile in Ireland the jobs are gone and the compensation has been spent.

mick087 wrote: »
    Its not that easy when some are not elected into there postions of power.
    Name calling wont help it will only give his defenders ammunition to take more democracy away from the people and elected politicians and give it to the unelected.

It gives me peace of mind declaring him to be an arrogant boor.

And his "I wish to apologise..." statement is the epitome of an unrepentant weasel. Stuff him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

No wonder Jim O Callaghan supports keeping Hogan in office.
    https://twitter.com/EastofMotion/status/1297518407869497346?s=19

CT >>>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

What he did was very wrong.

His initial apology was not sufficient.

It was an idiotic decision made by him.

However, I don’t believe he should resign as commissioner.

If he does Ireland will most likely lose the EU trade portfolio to another member state. We need a commissioner to represent Ireland’s interests on the EU table especially in light of Brexit.

I am angry with him but at the end of the day I care more about the interests of Ireland and the future of Irish trade post Brexit.

I really don’t understand this argument. On one hand, you’re saying you’re angry at him for breaking the rules and thinking there’s one rule for politicians and one for the public.

On the other you’re saying he shouldn’t resign because it’s not in Ireland’s interest. Which seems to imply that if he didn’t hold such an important role or it wasn’t such an important time with Brexit he should resign. Which is effectively one rule for one person and one for others.

The only question to be answered is if what he did merits a resignation. If it does, nothing else should come into play.

• Advertisement

Phoebas wrote: »
    CT >>>

Can you explain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

No wonder Jim O Callaghan supports keeping Hogan in office.
    https://twitter.com/EastofMotion/status/1297518407869497346?s=19

I'm laughing if you're naive enough to think Jim O Callaghan is the bond between them two.

Denis O'Brien has always been active around Fine Gael.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Ger Roe wrote: »
    So is Phil. There is a large pension pot at risk here. :)

He already has a large pension pot as a former TD, Government Minister and 4 years in Brussels as EU Commissioner for Agric.

Companies line up with large cheque books for former EU Commissioners. Take Sutherland - Chairman of Goldman Sacks and BP!

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

jm08 wrote: »
    He already has a large pension pot as a former TD, Government Minister and 4 years in Brussels as EU Commissioner for Agric.

Companies line up with large cheque books for former EU Commissioners. Take Sutherland - Chairman of Goldman Sacks and BP!

There would be no golf gate if all of the pensions were on the line

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I'm laughing if you're naive enough to think Jim O Callaghan is the bond between them two.

Denis O'Brien has always been active around Fine Gael.

I know that. It's just an example of one of many connections and ties between Party's. Jim was used to support Hogan today but it suited him as it harms Martin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

No this is not a personel issue of some one annoying another. Why do you try to make this out to be?

Your correct the irish people and the citizens of the EU will never have the chance to vote out any EU commissioner.

Unelected is the nature of my issue.

Phil Hogan is unelected and not accountable to anyone but the unelected EU commission.

He is not directly accountable to the Irish electorate, but he is accountable. If you just don't like the EU/are a Eurosceptic I suppose that is not good enough.

It is not personal, other than you (personally) think direct democracy is the way the EU Commission (and maybe every single government role at every level?) should be chosen and I disagreed with that.

If it were a true EU level direct democracy for electing the EU Commissioners then the Irish "votes" would count for the square root of f.a. unless you somehow believe we are special and more important than other citizens of the EU when it comes to deciding who is on this fantasy directly elected commission.

I suppose we could have some sort of (edit: directly) democratic system to decide who gets sent by Ireland to the commission (?). Would that be possible - I don't know.

Even if somehow there was a form of direct democracy for selecting our commissioner, they would presumably still serve out their term and we (if you prefer) would not be able to exercise our votes to "get rid" of them until that term was up similar to our own elected politicians.

Where do i put my number or x in the voting sheet for Phil Hogan?

You put your x on the ballot paper for your European MP who voted on your behalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

fergus1001 wrote: »
    now big Phil's story has changed he did go back to kildare before going to galway

It was just resting in my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Can you explain?

Conspiracy theory thread that way I’d say it means

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

He worked his way into a powerful position of influence in Europe. We need him there and his replacement will not be Irish, most likely. He has apologised, he was definitely misled, and he should NOT resign over it. He's good at the job and we need him there.

• Advertisement

Iodine1 wrote: »
    He worked his way into a powerful position of influence in Europe. We need him there and his replacement will not be Irish, most likely. He has apologised, he was definitely misled, and he should NOT resign over it. He's good at the job and we need him there.

Gavan Reilly makes an excellent point on twitter:
    I can imagine fierce resistant in Brussels to the idea of dismissing Hogan because of domestic pressure - it would open the door to any of 27 member states effectively recalling their Commissioner after a change of government. Commission would end up reshuffled every few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

Misled..?? He's an intelligent man who has depending on your views earned, managed etc his way into a powerful position in Europe. We all make individual decisions in our daily lives and its far too easy to blame someone else and say he was misled. He made a conscious decision to attend the event, at least have the guts to stand over the decision and not try to blame someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

people watched relatives die on ipads or outside windows, health staff got sick
    and are still getting sick, and this pompous arrogant scumbag pisses all over it
    for the sake of f*cking golf ...

get the f*ck out of office

Have you obeyed every restriction since March? If not, will you resign from your job?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

DeanAustin wrote: »
    I really don’t understand this argument. On one hand, you’re saying you’re angry at him for breaking the rules and thinking there’s one rule for politicians and one for the public.

On the other you’re saying he shouldn’t resign because it’s not in Ireland’s interest. Which seems to imply that if he didn’t hold such an important role or it wasn’t such an important time with Brexit he should resign. Which is effectively one rule for one person and one for others.

The only question to be answered is if what he did merits a resignation. If it does, nothing else should come into play.

Well thats just simply cutting off our nose to spite our face. We are entering the most important period for long term Irish economic prosperity in 50 years and we have a person at the top table in a position to get us major influence in the permanent deal. Everything else is secondary because that deal is our kids future.

titan18 wrote: »
    Have you obeyed every restriction since March? If not, will you resign from your job?

****ing hell, some amount of whataboutery.

People like you just don't ****ing get it.

Do you really not understand the difference between an average Joe and high profile officials?

****ing hell, some amount of whataboutery.

People like you just don't ****ing get it.

Explain it then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

Again why does anyone think this? I'm frankly baffled by this train of thought.

Explain it then.

You're held to a higher standard when in high office you absolute numpty. And rightly so.

These people need to display the behaviors the public are expected to comply with.

Regardless, It's done a whole lot of further damage to our response.

Your held to a higher standard when in high office you absolute numpty. And rightly so.

Attack the post, not the poster. Don't call me a numpty.

A lot of people have complained about it being one rule for higher ups and a different rule for plebs with this situation.

So you're saying you want tougher rules for some people (what's the criteria for those btw) and normal people can break the rules with no punishment? Calleary was fair enough as he had a direct seat in making the rules. Hogan is no different than everyone else who's broken rules since March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

Attack the post, not the poster. Don't call me a numpty.

A lot of people have complained about it being one rule for higher ups and a different rule for plebs with this situation.

So you're saying you want tougher rules for some people (what's the criteria for those btw) and normal people can break the rules with no punishment?

If you assume a high public role your expected to lead by example no different to a high profile sportsperson.

Advertisement