Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Well thats just simply cutting off our nose to spite our face. We are entering the most important period for long term Irish economic prosperity in 50 years and we have a person at the top table in a position to get us major influence in the permanent deal. Everything else is secondary because that deal is our kids future.

Hogans an EU man first Irish second. He wasn't much of an asset to Irish beef farmers when the mercosur trade talks were going on. I think he's gonna ride this out with no dail sitting and no political will to remove him I think it's unlikely he's gonna go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Well thats just simply cutting off our nose to spite our face. We are entering the most important period for long term Irish economic prosperity in 50 years and we have a person at the top table in a position to get us major influence in the permanent deal. Everything else is secondary because that deal is our kids future.

How does he get us influence regarding the permanent deal?
    The British know all about him. He has no credibility. How does that help in a negotiation. Plus he is not there to represent just Ireland. He is there to represent all EU Countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭embraer170

Iodine1 wrote: »
    He worked his way into a powerful position of influence in Europe. We need him there and his replacement will not be Irish, most likely. He has apologised, he was definitely misled, and he should NOT resign over it. He's good at the job and we need him there.

Of course Ireland would get to nominate a Commissioner to replace Hogan.

The only question is whether a new Irish Commissioner would keep the trade portfolio or there would be a reshuffling.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Is that serpent gone yet? It will leave a stain on FG if he stays around. Going forward any politician will say sure Phil didn't resign why should I.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Again why does anyone think this? I'm frankly baffled by this train of thought.

Because its true. The national interest is absolute here.

• Advertisement

Limpy wrote: »
    Is that serpent gone yet? It will leave a stain on FG if he stays around. Going forward any politician will say sure Phil didn't resign why should I.

He isn't a politician anymore. He's an appointee of the President of the EU Commission and an employee of that body.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

titan18 wrote: »
    Attack the post, not the poster. Don't call me a numpty.

A lot of people have complained about it being one rule for higher ups and a different rule for plebs with this situation.

So you're saying you want tougher rules for some people (what's the criteria for those btw) and normal people can break the rules with no punishment? Calleary was fair enough as he had a direct seat in making the rules. Hogan is no different than everyone else who's broken rules since March.

I absolutely hate that the dinner happened, and right and proper that Irish politicians face sanctions. But strictly speaking Phil Hogan is no longer an Irish politician, he works for the EU commission.

His behavior was despicable but not sure it is a resigning matter. He has no say in how the Irish government set coronavirus restrictions, unlike Dara Callerly.

Dara Callerly is still a government TD, he hasn't resigned.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

The Belly wrote: »
    If you assume a high public role your expected to lead by example no different to a high profile sportsperson.

Should not leading by example be punishable by being fired from your job/forced to resign? Should breaking covid rules be punishable by that no matter who the person is?

He's not elected by us and has no actual accountability to us. I don't like the guy but sacking him when he's broken rules that 99% of the country have likely broken seems a bit stupid. Unless everyone wants that as a punishment for anyone who does it.

I wouldn't be expecting my CEO in company I work for to resign cos he broke covid rules

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

Is it? The last time the EU helped us we got saddled with massive debt and the troika took over.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

I wouldn't be expecting my CEO in company I work for to resign cos he broke covid rules

Thanks ok he or she has shareholders they can decide in this case we cant.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

"on his way from Kilkenny to Clifden, the Commissioner stopped briefly at his apartment in Kildare for the purpose of collecting personal belongings and essential work documents relating to negotiations which continued while he was in Galway".

Lol he thinks we are all FG shills that are defending him here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

The Belly wrote: »
    Thanks ok he or she has shareholders they can decide in this case we cant.

If we take all people who should lead by example? Should they all resign if they break covid rules?

Teachers, doctors, guards etc. Should they all lose their jobs if they don't lead by example and break covid rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

It’s doing the right thing. No external circumstances should influence the decision. What he did was either an offence that demands resignation or it isn’t. That’s the only question that needs answering.

If you start bending the rules because it’s Phil Hogan or an EU Commissioner then you can’t complain when our elected officials bend the rules to suit themselves, their parties or some other hidden agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

It's not served by having a self serving Politician involved in the Trade talks. He has no credibility now.

His type contributed to the build up of resentment in Britain that they were being governed by unaccountable crooked politicians in Europe.

The Gov are trying to make him out to be some mastermind that can't be done without. He wasn't smart enough to see the scandal that would come if he was caught attending the event in Galway.

He ended up in Brussels because he was sent there after the Irish Water debacle. He wasn't sent there because he was competent. He was sent there to get him out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Why did it take political pressure for him to issue a proper apology? Because he’s a bad egg, that’s why.

He is only out for himself. His only allegiance is to the EU, if push comes to shove he’ll throw a Ireland under the proverbial bus for his own interests - a bigger job in Brussels.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It is really all over now imo.

Things will move on to schools and the invisible Norma now.

Has anyone heard her speak,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Apartently he was stopped by the Guards while on his phone while driving. Did Phil Hogan actually obey any rule while he was home??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Stopped by Gardai while driving using a mobile now it seems.....spose he still hasn’t broken any rules....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Rte news has also confirmed that Hogan was stopped by Gardi en route to Cliften for using a phone while driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

So he was stopped by the Guards for using a phone while driving as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Did Phil Hogan actually obey any rule while he was home??

Looks like he thinks he's exempt from normal rules, caught on the phone driving in kildare

Why did it take political pressure for him to issue a proper apology? Because he’s a bad egg, that’s why.

He is only out for himself. His only allegiance is to the EU, if push comes to shove he’ll throw a Ireland under the proverbial bus for his own interests - a bigger job in Brussels.

Only allegiance is to Dinny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

It's not served by having a self serving Politician involved in the Trade talks. He has no credibility now.

His type contributed to the build up of resentment in Britain that they were being governed by unaccountable crooked politicians in Europe.

The Gov are trying to make him out to be some mastermind that can't be done without. He wasn't smart enough to see the scandal that would come if he was caught attending the event in Galway.

He ended up in Brussels because he was sent there after the Irish Water debacle. He wasn't sent there because he was competent. He was sent there to get him out of the way.

I'd say that was part of the quid pro quo for implementing water charges in the first place. That idea came from the EU. Something like.

"If you manage to convince Irish people that they need to pay for water then you've a job waiting for you in Brussels. If you do that you could sell ice to the eskimos!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Liamo57

Sure everyone uses their phone while driving, whats the big deal. I think Phil is great. A big thick ignoramous, all afraid of their shtie of him. Up the cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Will be interesting to see if he got the points or was told to drive on....

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

embraer170 wrote: »
    Of course Ireland would get to nominate a Commissioner to replace Hogan.

The only question is whether a new Irish Commissioner would keep the trade portfolio or there would be a reshuffling.

Yes of course we will send over a replacement Commissioner, but we cannot dictate that he will get the portfolio, and he won't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

jm08 wrote: »
    You put your x on the ballot paper for your European MP who voted on your behalf.

What?

Individual commissioners are appointed by national governments and only the commission president is consulted.

Looks like he thinks he's exempt from normal rules, caught on the phone driving in kildare

He should have penalty points applied for that just like the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

jojofizzio wrote: »
    Stopped by Gardai while driving using a mobile now it seems.....spose he still hasn’t broken any rules....
    Rte news has also confirmed that Hogan was stopped by Gardi en route to Cliften for using a phone while driving.
    So he was stopped by the Guards for using a phone while driving as well.

Well I know where to come if I need up-to-the-second Phil Hogan news:eek:

• Advertisement

jojofizzio wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see if he got the points or was told to drive on....

"Do you know who I am" and " I'll have you transferred to Drogheda" may have been part of the conversation

Advertisement