Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Is it true he won a George Foreman grill?

Martin???i thought he didn’t know it was on???

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Didn’t the wife of our poster at the hotel see him the next morning.

HB?

This is turning into a game of cluedo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Phil Hogan seems to be channelling Alan B'stard,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

redarmy wrote: »
    Meanwhile, it has also emerged Taoiseach Micheál Martin sponsored a prize for the Oireachtas Society Golf Tournament.

A packet of Barry's tea bags and a bottle of Tanora.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I’ve heard some people ask the question “did MM or LV actually know the competition was going ahead?”

If the above is correct, then they did know. Another headache for MM - should’ve told his party and cabinet members not to attend.

I get the feeling they did. I've heard rumours Hogan was around Leinster House the week before last. Who did he meet becomes the question

If that's the case, they would probably both have known.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

What a week we have in store and the Dail should be back the following week.

MM and Leo will look very foolish if Trickle doesn't go. Leo must have known he was in Kildare before he went to Galway.
    Don't forget a spokesowman at the Eu read word for word on Friday a statement (not even apology) by Hogan that he completely adhered to irish covid guidelines while here ...
    Now, each day it's revealed he stuck to fck all - not even driving car.

It's that kind of thing (many here call it nothing) that leads to resignation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Solli wrote: »
    This only applies to MEPs but Big Phil is a Commissioner.

It extends to Commissioners (Art. 18. Art. 20).

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:12006E/PRO/36:EN:HTML

I doubt he'd invoke it for a driving offense.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

He is a charlatan, breaking all the rules (Don't you know who I am etc.).

This politician circle is a joke now. I do realise that Hogan is in the EU, but can you imagine the shenanigans going on there from all countries.

Irexit will be called for before too long. But realistically not happening.

Keep an eye on the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

GUBU doesn’t come near it😳😳

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

You could be right. He didn't convince though and it turned into a shambles.

Maybe it was a reward for trying to push it through.

I think if you were part of the British team you would be glad he was representing the EU. Lots of cards to play
    MI5 likely have a nice thick folder on our esteemed diplomat.

This really does look like a takedown.

"Sure come over for the golf, it'll be grand"

I think I'm switching sides, maybe he got too European and was selling us out in the EU-US trade deal and MM LV had to take him out. Many a politician has been pulled over at political opportune times. Who was he on the phone to?

In the grand scheme of things they are minor infractions. Being in public office he has to hold himself to a higher standard of course. Particularly with all the covid restrictions going on. He could be just a dope but there is an awful riding on those negotiations.

It's a big mad though and the timing is odd. You couldn't write this **** though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,607 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

jojofizzio wrote: »

No Hogan.
    I was told by somebody big Phil won a George Foreman at the raffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

redarmy wrote: »
    Meanwhile, it has also emerged Taoiseach Micheál Martin sponsored a prize for the Oireachtas Society Golf Tournament.

I don't know anything about the sponsorship, but surely since this was an Oireactas event, it would be known about in Leinster house. Is it credible that this event was organised without government knowledge.
    Alarm bells should have been going off for any kind of social event involving politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

jojofizzio wrote: »

Bed every night with hot cocoa, never heard a thing, holidays and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

2012, John Dalli of Malta was sacked as EU commissioner for health. Obviously very rare but has happened.

Breaking covid rules Vs asking a company to give him 60m to change European tobacco regulations.

Bit different transgressions tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Is it true he won a George Foreman grill?

Apparently, Big Phil donated a Nespresso machine for the Best European Commissioner in Attendance category which he subsequently won. Commenting on his prize Big Phil said “in fact, I think I should get two prizes because I’m so great”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

I think it would be easier to remove that Belarus fella than Fat Phil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Call girl, rent boy and a hermaphrodite dwarf, oh and a sheep for afters

Lol...this thread is probably the only thing that has made me laugh today..
    Good man Phil...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭StevenToast

This will blow over in a few days....

Fat phil knows it...he has been around too long..

He will take a leaf out of the dominic cummings playbook and wait for the next bull**** story so the plebs will move onto the next outrage...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The European Commissioner with his 5-iron in the 'room' on the right-hand side of the partition

• Advertisement

Happy4all wrote: »
    :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

titan18 wrote: »
    Breaking covid rules Vs asking a company to give him 60m to change European tobacco regulations.

Bit different transgressions tbf

High ranking politicians, whether domestic or EU, breaking covid rules is important. No EU country is a police state. The resources to enforce covid restrictions do not exist if the majority of the population do not comply.

Leadership by example is important, the general public react badly to "do as I say not as I do" from politicians.

If this makes news in the EU, it could get difficult for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

fly_agaric wrote: »
    He is not directly accountable to the Irish electorate, but he is accountable. If you just don't like the EU/are a Eurosceptic I suppose that is not good enough.

It is not personal, other than you (personally) think direct democracy is the way the EU Commission (and maybe every single government role at every level?) should be chosen and I disagreed with that.

If it were a true EU level direct democracy for electing the EU Commissioners then the Irish "votes" would count for the square root of f.a. unless you somehow believe we are special and more important than other citizens of the EU when it comes to deciding who is on this fantasy directly elected commission.

I suppose we could have some sort of (edit: directly) democratic system to decide who gets sent by Ireland to the commission (?). Would that be possible - I don't know.

Even if somehow there was a form of direct democracy for selecting our commissioner, they would presumably still serve out their term and we (if you prefer) would not be able to exercise our votes to "get rid" of them until that term was up similar to our own elected politicians.

So who is Phil Hogan accountable to if not that of the Irish or EU citizens?
    The Unelected EU commission maybe?

How can an unelected group be accountable to anyone?

Yes they would serve out there term like an elected TD would.
    But the people not an unelected commission would then be able to vote and "get rid" of them if the people and not the unelected so wished.

If your not able to able to get rid of a political figure of such importanence then your not living in a democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

He will take a leaf out of the dominic cummings playbook and wait for the next bull**** story so the plebs will move onto the next outrage...

It won't now based on the latest revalations. There is more to come.

Drip Drip Drip or should I say Trickle Trickle Trickle....

I love cluedo!

Unless Phil is impaled on the shaft of a seven iron. To be fair though, he's shafted himself enough already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

jm08 wrote: »
    You put your x on the ballot paper for your European MP who voted on your behalf.

I did not see Phil Hogans name on my ballot sheet
    How do we get rid of him?

I love cluedo!
    It was deffo the Commissioner in the partitioned room with a five iron
    Hopefully, game over

Oops, sorry see another post got there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭StevenToast

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    It won't now based on the latest revalations. There is more to come.

Drip Drip Drip or should I say Trickle Trickle Trickle....

Compared to the mountain of sh1t cummings faced...this is nothing

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Rumor has it Phil Hogan was at the infamous Berlin D2 brunch too

Advertisement