Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Rumor has it Phil Hogan was at the infamous Berlin D2 brunch too

Nah too classy for him

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭RunningFlyer

I just can’t wait for the news to break that the “personal belongings and essential documents“ he was collecting in Kildare were his golf clubs!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

mick087 wrote: »
    If your not able to able to get rid of a political figure of such importanence then your not living in a democracy.

How do we in Ireland get rid of Department Secretaries in the Civil Service?
    Hogan is basically the EU equivalent?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

So who is Phil Hogan accountable to if not that of the Irish or EU citizens?
    The Unelected EU commission maybe?

How can an unelected group be accountable to anyone?

Yes they would serve out there term like an elected TD would.
    But the people not an unelected commission would then be able to vote and "get rid" of them if the people and not the unelected so wished.

If your not able to able to get rid of a political figure of such importanence then your not living in a democracy.

Our judiciary aren't elected. It is in fact an important aspect of our democracy, the separation between govt and judges.
    Political interference could be damaging.
    We don't elect the Garda commissioner. We don't even elect the taoiseach. We don't elect the ministers.

Plenty of positions of power aren't directly elected it doesn't make it undemocratic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Are EU commissioners allowed to lie blatantly?
    He's defo being ousted. I thought it was really strange Leo and MM asked him to
    consider his position. Unless they've all become more honourable over night.
    Big Phil is probably still the bad guy in this drama though.
    I just can't figure out why. (apart from breaking the law in a few different ways, which is neither here or there in terms of politics here)
    Mr Hogan finally admitted he travelled to locked down Kildare from Kilkenny to pick up
    “personal belongings and work documents” before travelling to Galway for the golf outing.
    Last Friday, the EU Trade Commissioner claimed he travelled directly to Galway and
    insisted he had not returned to Kildare while it was under lockdown.

This afternoon, Mr Varadkar said Mr Hogan should answer all questions about his movements
    around the country since he arrived back in Ireland on July 31.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/taoiseach-learned-about-phil-hogan-being-in-kildare-because-he-was-stopped-by-gardai-while-on-his-phone-39471647.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Ken Tucky wrote: »
    Lol...this thread is probably the only thing that has made me laugh today..
    Good man Phil...

Yes, I was all angry about golf-gate and the good commissioner's role this morning but now that it is clear that Teflon Phil won't be going anywhere, I'm just interested in what other dastardly deeds did Phil get up to on his mad trip.
    It's like a cross between the Hangover and Happy Gilmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Phoebas wrote: »

We send them to Europe, does the EU have anything in Outer Mongolia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Are EU commissioners allowed to lie blatantly?
    He's defo being ousted. I thought it was really strange Leo and MM asked him to
    consider his position. Unless they've all become more honourable over night.
    Big Phil is probably still the bad guy in this drama though.
    I just can't figure out why. (apart from breaking the law in a few different ways, which is neither here or there in terms of politics here)
    This is what will do him.
    Nevermind the shambles of the boys club dinner, he's brought his office into disrepute by lying and worse getting an EU rep to repeat them and still even worse, being found out.

that is why MM and LV said what they said Saturday and why LV repeated he must account for his movements twice on national radio and tv today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Yes, I was all angry about golf-gate and the good commissioner's role this morning but now that it is clear that Teflon Phil won't be going anywhere, I'm just interested in what other dastardly deeds did Phil get up to on his mad trip.
    It's like a cross between the Hangover and Happy Gilmore.

Coke and Hookers at the K Club abode the way this is going

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    It was deffo the Commissioner in the partitioned room with a five iron
    Hopefully, game over

Oops, sorry see another post got there!

That's okay, a case of great minds thinking alike I'm sure;)

?s=fatherted&e=S01E03&i=S01E03-kqgGh6Uz&t1=THOSE%20EUROPEAN%20COMMISSIONERS.&t2=UP%20TO%20NO%20GOOD%20AS%20USUAL.

• Advertisement

What date did he say he travelled to Kilkenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

So the people of Ireland and its elected goverment or the EU citizens can not get rid of him then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

https://twitter.com/patphelan/status/1297638660968452096?s=20

So Martin can't really give out to anyone, because he sponsored a feckin prize at the thing. What an omniscandal this is turning out to be.

So the people of Ireland and its elected goverment or the EU citizens can not get rid of him then?

Nope.
    Only Ursula can get rid of him.

s1ippy wrote: »

So Martin can't really give out to anyone, because he sponsored a feckin prize at the thing. What an omniscandal this is turning out to be.

Think it was FF Party and not Martin that sponsored the prize.

Correct so i repeat
    If your not able to able to get rid of a political figure of who hold office of importanence then your not living in a democracy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

s1ippy wrote: »

Did that fat baldy c*nt win it? He seems to spend a fair bit of time golfing. Curious to know if it’s a complete waste of everyone’s taxes or can he do something, anything well?

Correct so i repeat
    If your not able to able to get rid of a political figure of who hold office of importanence then your not living in a democracy

If you use your own personal definition of what constitutes a democracy then, yeah - nobody has ever lived in a democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Not exactly the same thing.

They have a little bit more power than we are led to believe.

https://twitter.com/lukeming/status/727822421219151872?s=20
    In 2009 the European ombudsman published statistics of citizens' complaints against EU institutions, with most of them filed against the Commission (66%) and concerning
    lack of transparency (36%).[95]

In 2010 the Commission was sued for blocking access to documents on EU biofuel policy.[96] This happened after media accused the Commission of blocking scientific evidence against biofuel subsidies.[97] Lack of transparency, unclear lobbyist relations, conflicts of interests and excessive spending of the Commission was highlighted in a number of reports by internal and independent auditing organisations.[98][99][100][101] It has also been criticised on IT-related issues, particularly with regard to Microsoft.

joe40 wrote: »
    Plenty of positions of power aren't directly elected it doesn't make it undemocratic.

IYO it dont make it undemocratic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Apparently Drew Harris passed on the info ref Hogan using the phone while driving, and if true, then it's bad form.

It was bad form when Callinan did the same to Shatter to try and damage Wallace, and if it's true, then it's wrong here too.

A commissioner should not be using his position to leak info to politically damage someone, no matter who they are.

Harris might get brought down on this too the way things are shaping up FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I thing this is a Von Der Leyern decision.

But I doubt they care that much. I bet 27 members of the EU have wandered here and there within Shengen anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

I don't know anything about the sponsorship, but surely since this was an Oireactas event, it would be known about in Leinster house. Is it credible that this event was organised without government knowledge.
    Alarm bells should have been going off for any kind of social event involving politicians.

Totally, surely the coalition leaders heard about this was coming up and should have reigned it in and asked "are ye for f##king real? "

If you use your own personal definition of what constitutes a democracy then, yeah - nobody has ever lived in a democracy.
    Fair enough if your happy to accept this then thats your right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

I did not see Phil Hogans name on my ballot sheet
    How do we get rid of him?

You didn't see Leo Varadkar's name on the ballot paper as Minister for Enterprise and Innovation either, did you?

The same way that you try and get any minister sacked - contact their boss (in this case the President of the Commission).

I'd also write to your MEP and ask them to raise questions in the European Parliament.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

High ranking politicians, whether domestic or EU, breaking covid rules is important. No EU country is a police state. The resources to enforce covid restrictions do not exist if the majority of the population do not comply.

Leadership by example is important, the general public react badly to "do as I say not as I do" from politicians.

If this makes news in the EU, it could get difficult for him.

When was Hogan telling people what to do in regards covid restrictions in Ireland? He ain't a member of government so wasn't doing it as part of that

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

titan18 wrote: »
    When was Hogan telling people what to do in regards covid restrictions in Ireland? He ain't a member of government so wasn't doing it as part of that

I hope to God he doesnt resign we need him at the table

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Thinking this has no traction. But I suppose it wouldn't this late on a Sunday night either.

• Advertisement

McMurphy wrote: »
    Apparently Drew Harris passed on the info ref Hogan using the phone while driving, and if true, then it's bad form.

It was bad form when Callinan did the same to Shatter to try and damage Wallace, and if it's true, then it's wrong here too.

A commissioner should not be using his position to leak info to politically damage someone, no matter who they are.

Harris might get brought down on this too the way things are shaping up FFS.

It’s also possible that sitting at the table in Clifden that night Phil said “ah lads, you’ll never guess what happened to me on the way down”

Sean O’Rourke could have heard it and told one of his buddies?

Who knows!

Advertisement