Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    I hope to God he doesnt resign we need him at the table

Big Phil thinks what’s best for Europe, not Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

mick087 wrote: »
    Fair enough if your happy to accept this then thats your right.

I've never ceased to be amazed by people who go through life completely ignorant about how our institutions operate and then get indigent when they find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

jm08 wrote: »
    You didn't see Leo Varadkar's name on the ballot paper as Minister for Enterprise and Innovation either, did you?

The same way that you try and get any minister sacked - contact their boss (in this case the President of the Commission).

I'd also write to your MEP and ask them to raise questions in the European Parliament.

But Leo and our elected Taoiseach did ask Phil to think about his position.

A minister who atteneded did in fact resign.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

We don't imo. I don't go with that argument. It's handy to have an Irish person there of course but they're not allowed to favour their home countries in their role, and Hogan was a useless TD anyway. Guy is and always was clearly a twat, but if he wanted everyone I considered a twat fired, the country would have about 50 people in employment.

Just don't see why breaking covid rules is grounds for firing for anyone other than those making the rules. Calleary 100% had to go, I can see an argument on why Wolfe should go. I can understand why the Failte Guy had to go. Hogan, not so much, and if the argument is cos he should lead by example, then SF and Soc Dem councillor should also have to resign, as should any Garda, doctor, teacher who break rules as they should be leading by example too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

It’s also possible that sitting at the table in Clifden that night Phil said “ah lads, you’ll never guess what happened to me on the way down”

Sean O’Rourke could have heard it and told one of his buddies?

Who knows!

I read it from a Tweet by Mick Clifford, and he's normally bang on the money with his sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

Yeah, because he did Ireland so many favours during the mercosur deal!! He is a waste of space there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

Phoebas wrote: »
    I've never ceased to be amazed by people who go through life completely ignorant about how our institutions operate and then get indigent when they find out.

Its not called being ignorant its called having a different opinion to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I think this clip of Joe Biden's reaction on learning that Anthony Weiner was implicated in the Hilary Clinton email scandal gives a pretty good idea of how Micheal and Leo are responding to each new revelation in the ongoing Big Phil saga

AmusingGroundedAsiansmallclawedotter-size_restricted.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

McMurphy wrote: »
    Apparently Drew Harris passed on the info ref Hogan using the phone while driving, and if true, then it's bad form.

It was bad form when Callinan did the same to Shatter to try and damage Wallace, and if it's true, then it's wrong here too.

A commissioner should not be using his position to leak info to politically damage someone, no matter who they are.

Harris might get brought down on this too the way things are shaping up FFS.
    https://twitter.com/drvconway/status/1297648886509645824

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Allinall

McMurphy wrote: »
    I read it from a Tweet by Mick Clifford, and he's normally bang on the money with his sources.

What sources would they be?

A Government Minister resigned.

Hogan is not in the Government and does not answer to them. In his role as EU Commissioner he is specifically prevented from being influenced by national Governments.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Allinall wrote: »
    What sources would they be?

A good journalist hardly reveals them, but who knows, on this occasion, maybe he just read it in the Indo?
    Details of the incident were given to Garda Commissioner Drew Harris who in turn informed Justice Minister Helen McEntee.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

But Phil Hogan doesn't work for Michael or Leo. He works for Ursula von der Leyen.

Phil Hogan was a guest, not the organiser as the Minister who resigned was (and rightly so in my opinion).

I'm no fan of Phil Hogans, but we don't pay his salary so have no right to demand that he resign. As well as that the Minister who did resign is still a TD. Its up to the electorate to sack him (at the next election), not the Taoiseach.

A Government Minister resigned.

Hogan is not in the Government and does not answer to them. In his role as EU Commissioner he is specifically prevented from being influenced by national Governments.

We’re all Europeans as well as being citizens of Ireland. We have a right to expect better of those who act on our European behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

But Phil Hogan doesn't work for Michael or Leo. He works for Ursula von der Leyen.

Phil Hogan was a guest, not the organiser as the Minister who resigned was (and rightly so in my opinion).

I'm no fan of Phil Hogans, but we don't pay his salary so have no right to demand that he resign. As well as that the Minister who did resign is still a TD. Its up to the electorate to sack him (at the next election), not the Taoiseach.

Calleary wasn't the organiser. Grealish and Cassidy organised it.

Calleary wasn't the organiser. Grealish and Cassidy organised it.

I wonder who asked for the partition to be rolled back, because that was a blatant breach even of the old regulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Hes on a salary of close to 26,000 euro per month. And all of that sweet sweet power too.

Hes going nowhere

We’re all Europeans as well as being citizens of Ireland. We have a right to expect better of those who act on our European behalf.
    We have that right.
    But we don't have the right to sack them

• Advertisement

I wonder who asked for the partition to be rolled back, because that was a blatant breach even of the old regulations.

The hotel owner maybe? He was at one of the tables?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

silver2020 wrote: »
    can you please tell me what law he broke - I'll give you a grand if you can link even one for me.

Have you pad over that grand yet billy big balls? :rolleyes:

We have that right.
    But we don't have the right to sack them

Which is why the early posts in the thread say we should email his boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

I didn't know it was rolled back but I believe it. None of them gave a ****.

fullstop wrote: »
    Have you pad over that grand yet billy big balls? :rolleyes:

They didn't reply to my pm even. :mad:

The hotel owner maybe? He was at one of the tables?

Well whoever it was is or should be in very hot water.

So, what if the EU Commission President decides that Phil Hogan as Trade Commissioner is of greater importance (ie., he signed a trade deal with the US on Friday, the first in 20 years that reduced tariffs), than satisfying those who have taken the high moral ground on this issue?

Hogan called into his house in Kildare to collect papers. If that was something to do with a trade deal he was signing two days later, would he be forgiven or should he be contacting the trade sec. in the US and telling him he can't go to his house because Kildare is in lock-down!

I didn't know it was rolled back but I believe it. None of them gave a ****.

Was done for the speeches I believe. A lot of people who postponed weddings due to the pandemic will be having a wry smile/grimace over that I'd say.

Hes on a salary of close to 26,000 euro per month. And all of that sweet sweet power too.

Hes going nowhere

He signed a trade deal on Friday with the US that will save tariffs of about 300m between EU and US.

• Advertisement

So, what if the EU Commission President decides that Phil Hogan as Trade Commissioner is of greater importance (ie., he signed a trade deal with the US on Friday, the first in 20 years that reduced tariffs), than satisfying those who have taken the high moral ground on this issue?

Hogan called into his house in Kildare to collect papers. If that was something to do with a trade deal he was signing two days later, would he be forgiven or should he be contacting the trade sec. in the US and telling him he can't go to his house because Kildare is in lock-down!

I’m not buying that line. His representative has already issued a few lies about his whereabouts before that.

If this US deal is soooo important then why did Phil leave those documents behind him when he went to stay in Kilkenny on August 8th?

Advertisement