Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

The hotel owner maybe? He was at one of the tables?

Hes in the Oil business and does now or once did hold shares in the Shelbourne Hotel.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/sweeney-holding-firm-trebles-profits-1.1290877

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Hes on a salary of close to 26,000 euro per month. And all of that sweet sweet power too.

Hes going nowhere
    Don't forget the junkets: jetting first class around the globe, staying at top hotels, wined and dined at banquets and dinner-parties with the best grub the country has to offer. All on expenses.
    It's a job for life effectively.
    Wild horses wouldn't drag Hulk out of Brussels.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Hes in the Oil business and does now or once did hold shares in the Shelbourne Hotel.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/sweeney-holding-firm-trebles-profits-1.1290877
    can't find out if its his son or nephew who actually runs the hotel. https://www.linkedin.com/in/james-sweeney-50bb004b/?originalSubdomain=ie

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

I’m not buying that line. His representative has already issued a few lies about his whereabouts before that.

If this US deal is soooo important then why did Phil leave those documents behind him when he went to stay in Kilkenny on August 8th?

Seems he had some medical procedure and was in Kilkenny for recovery. Probably didn't expect Kildare to be in lockdown.
    Spokesperson says: “On his way from Kilkenny to Clifden, the Commissioner stopped briefly at his apartment in Kildare for the purpose of collecting personal belongings and essential work documents (relating to EU/US trade negotiations which continued while he was in Galway)” …

Since it was work related, he was allowed to go to Kildare.

And yes, the EU-US trade deal is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Jizique

Don't forget the junkets: jetting first class around the globe, staying at top hotels, wined and dined at banquets and dinner-parties with the best grub the country has to offer. All on expenses.

Jealousy gets you nowhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭1990sman

phil hogan does not need to resign.

jm08 wrote: »
    Seems he had some medical procedure and was in Kilkenny for recovery. Probably didn't expect Kildare to be lockdown.

[/B]

if you were staying at the K-club then had to go to hospital and then to another place to stay, then were due to go to golfing event what would you need pick up before you went to the golf course?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

1990sman wrote: »

What would he need to do, in your opinion, to have to resign?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

Well whoever it was is or should be in very hot water.

The owner of the hotel is John Sweeney and attended the dinner.

This post is worth a read.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114382349&postcount=1879

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

1990sman wrote: »

I tip my hat to this much, you seem to have put any of Phils detractors back in their box in a very concise and almost cut throat way with that response.

I’d say, in fairness the thread should be closed after 1990sman contribution.

• Advertisement

wheres was the golf actually played in galway?

Seems he had some medical procedure and was in Kilkenny for recovery. Probably didn't expect Kildare to be lockdown.

[/B]

And due to its important nature he would have arranged for these very important documents to be brought down to Kilkenny to him.

But he says he only went to Kildare ten days later to grab them and then dash down to Clifden for a couple of days golfing and cram in all the rest of the homework he had to do within 24 hours of finalising the deal?

Phil has weaved a very tangled web.

I would love to see his mobile phone movements.

I don't think even his most blinkered supporters believe he is telling the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

People have nothing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,864 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

He signed a trade deal on Friday with the US that will save tariffs of about 300m between EU and US.

And will result in Europe being flooded with cheap imports of American lobster resulting in Irish fishermen going to the wall, yes a great voice for Ireland :rolleyes:

Pelezico wrote: »
    People have nothing to do.

We're all on lockdown.:)

Edit:
    All minus 80

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Speaking of horses Phil owns a horse called Sneaky Getaway. It won in leopardstown a few years back and himself and his son were in the winners enclosure loving life

if you were staying at the K-club then had to go to hospital and then to another place to stay, then were due to go to golfing event what would you need pick up before you went to the golf course?

I think he owns an apartment in the K-Club. Well, his golf clubs maybe!

His spokesperson has said that he had to go there to collect essential papers to do with the EU-US trade deal that was signed last Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

I think he owns an apartment in the K-Club. Well, his golf clubs maybe!

His spokesperson has said that he had to go there to collect essential papers to do with the EU-US trade deal that was signed last Friday.

Highly doubt he had sensitive US trade deal documents in his home in Kildare just lying around...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Edit:
    All minus 80

Bravo sir, Bravo.

• Advertisement

Edit:
    All minus 80

I know...it is boredom. And hysteria.

And will result in Europe being flooded with cheap imports of American lobster resulting in Irish fishermen going to the wall, yes a great voice for Ireland :rolleyes:

I think the Farmers were saying the same about beef after the Mercosur deal.
    https://www.ifa.ie/mercosur-sell-out-explained-2/

Can we all get off with a caution if caught driving with the mobile phone in hand?

Do we need to say 'Do you know who I am?' like Fine Gael's Shatter and Hogan?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

That bastard - living it up on his big EU expenses, while the rest of us have to slum it with cheap lobster.

Great to know you are monitoring the thread while munching on lemons. :D:p

It's great craic but you have to check yourself and realise how serious it is and could be. It reminds me of the GUBU days and Liam Lawlor scandals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

It's great craic but you have to check yourself and realise how serious it is and could be. It reminds me of the GUBU days and Liam Lawlor scandals.

That was serious. Look what happened after those events!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Cork_Guest

So, what if the EU Commission President decides that Phil Hogan as Trade Commissioner is of greater importance (ie., he signed a trade deal with the US on Friday, the first in 20 years that reduced tariffs), than satisfying those who have taken the high moral ground on this issue?

Sorry but this just isn’t true. He signed a trade deal that means the US con export shoddy Lobster to the EU for Zero tariffs and in return the US have halved the tariffs they put on Steel etc. a few years ago. So the US get a free tariff export and the EU still pay 50% more on their exports than they did before Trump put them in place.

Hardly the deal of the century now is it.

Appreciate I’m a first time poster but the above singing big Phils praises I couldn’t help myself but reply.

The fact is, you’ve some TD lads who did the right thing and resigned immediately, then you’ve got Phil not wanting to give up the EU gravy train in a big 2 fingers to the people of Ireland who are expected to follow the rules! He’s obviously bigger and better than the rest of us!

Highly doubt he had sensitive US trade deal documents in his home in Kildare just lying around...

Well, he would have some documents (sensitive or not) because the deal was signed on Friday and there was a joint press release from him and Lightizer, the US Trade Sec.

• Advertisement

It ain't GUBU. It is a golf day.

Advertisement