Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Phil has weaved a very tangled web.

I would love to see his mobile phone movements.

I don't think even his most blinkered supporters believe he is telling the truth.

His whole 'road trip' is starting to resemble this 'sequence of events'

emGealrjC7dW.gif
    jQOrVszAguKR.gif
    mlGDPruJHf4K.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

This is beginning to look like harassment!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Cork_Guest wrote: »
    Sorry but this just isn’t true. He signed a trade deal that means the US con export shoddy Lobster to the EU for Zero tariffs and in return the US have halved the tariffs they put on Steel etc. a few years ago. So the US get a free tariff export and the EU still pay 50% more on their exports than they did before Trump put them in place.

Hardly the deal of the century now is it.

Appreciate I’m a first time poster but the above singing big Phils praises I couldn’t help myself but reply.

The fact is, you’ve some TD lads who did the right thing and resigned immediately, then you’ve got Phil not wanting to give up the EU gravy train in a big 2 fingers to the people of Ireland who are expected to follow the rules! He’s obviously bigger and better than the rest of us!

Its not the deal of the century, but bearing in mind Trump has been just lashing on the tariffs on everything (such as whiskey and Irish butter), its good to see some reduction in something and will hopefully kick-off a better relationship between the EU and US when it comes to trade.

Its a small deal - worth €94 million a year to the US for reduction in tariffs on Lobster. The reduction in tariffs for EU goods is up to a value of €136 million.

I suggest you might read this article which will explain what is at stake here.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/us-and-eu-sign-rare-trade-agreement-to-reduce-tariffs-on-range-of-products-1.4336055

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

lsjmhar wrote: »

It is that. Nastiness and begrudgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

lsjmhar wrote: »
    Pelezico wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Can we all get off with a caution if caught driving with the mobile phone in hand?

Do we need to say 'Do you know who I am?' like Fine Gael's Shatter and Hogan?

As someone said upthread, that along with "Do you fancy a transfer to Drogheda?"

And will result in Europe being flooded with cheap imports of American lobster resulting in Irish fishermen going to the wall, yes a great voice for Ireland :rolleyes:

The market has collapsed anyway due to covid. Irish fishermen are only getting €6 a kilo (down from €20 a kilo).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

That’s no way to talk about our Phil

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

jm08 wrote: »
    So, what if the EU Commission President decides that Phil Hogan as Trade Commissioner is of greater importance (ie., he signed a trade deal with the US on Friday, the first in 20 years that reduced tariffs), than satisfying those who have taken the high moral ground on this issue?
    High moral ground? Pesky morals! We should all just be cute hoors. Ah sure it'll be grand!

I see a self serving cabal with no motivation except pursuit of power and accumulating personal fortune.
    The concerns of ordinary citizens is an trivial inconvenience.
    The entire establishment is overdue a hard reset.

I think the Farmers were saying the same about beef after the Mercosur deal.
    https://www.ifa.ie/mercosur-sell-out-explained-2/

Which has not happened (and is unlikely to happen) because Brazil isn't sticking to the agreement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Cork_Guest

Its not the deal of the century, but bearing in mind Trump has been just lashing on the tariffs on everything (such as whiskey and Irish butter), its good to see some reduction in something and will hopefully kick-off a better relationship between the EU and US when it comes to trade.

Its a small deal - worth €94 million a year to the US for reduction in tariffs on Lobster. The reduction in tariffs for EU goods is up to a value of €136 million.

If so much was at stake then I’m even more disappointed that he put himself in a position where he forgot some crucial paperwork; because you know....they were on the kitchen table and not one of his ‘spokespeople’ could have retrieved them, so that he had to drive illegally while talking on his mobile, so shortly after a health convalescence, before he then attended a boozed up dinner that broke the lockdown guidelines.

The fact is, the deal has nothing to do with it. Where he was or wasn’t has nothing to do with it and the dinner has nothing to do with it. He is simply of the ilk that thinks us plebs must do as we’re told and be happy about it like good little plebs, while he flounders around doing what he wants with no regard for his own country or it’s people! But hey, slightly cheaper lobster eh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Liamo57

Donie the rug Cassidy has resigned. What a waste of cute hoor talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭1990sman

no resignations. digi rent a mob dont count for F all.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

Liamo57 wrote: »

Dominos

High moral ground? Pesky morals! We should all just be cute hoors. Ah sure it'll be grand!

I see a self serving cabal with no motivation except pursuit of power and accumulating personal fortune.
    The concerns of ordinary citizens is an trivial inconvenience.
    The entire establishment is overdue a hard reset.

As I've pointed out earlier in this thread, there will be shortage of job offers to Phil Hogan that would be far more lucrative. From what I recall for instance, Peter Sutherland was on £6 million a year from Goldman Sachs (he was also chairman of BP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

As I've pointed out earlier in this thread, there will be shortage of job offers to Phil Hogan that would be far more lucrative. From what I recall for instance, Peter Sutherland was on £6 million a year from Goldman Sachs (he was also chairman of BP.

Why? What would he actually do. Do you mean lobbying jobs like Hayes is doing?

Cork_Guest wrote: »

If so much was at stake then I’m even more disappointed that he put himself in a position where he forgot some crucial paperwork; because you know....they were on the kitchen table and not one of his ‘spokespeople’ could have retrieved them, so that he had to drive illegally while talking on his mobile, so shortly after a health convalescence, before he then attended a boozed up dinner that broke the lockdown guidelines.

The fact is, the deal has nothing to do with it. Where he was or wasn’t has nothing to do with it and the dinner has nothing to do with it. He is simply of the ilk that thinks us plebs must do as we’re told and be happy about it like good little plebs, while he flounders around doing what he wants with no regard for his own country or it’s people! But hey, slightly cheaper lobster eh!

Thats not a fact, that is your opinion (which you are entitlted to have).

• Registered Users Posts: 82,864 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Liamo57 wrote: »

Does he wear a twoer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

Everyone is entitled to their good name!!

Thats not a fact, that is your opinion (which you are entitlted to have).

But you’re taking Phil at his word when his word has changed a few times in the last couple of days. Why would you trust someone now that has already lied to you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Big Phil is going nowhere and he knows that.

There are very few sanctions in the the EU.

Why? What would he actually do. Do you mean lobbying jobs like Hayes is doing?

Hayes was just an MEP. Hogan had two of the top portfolio in the EU Commission. He could work as a trade advisor for any country that wants to do a trade deal with the EU. For instance, the UK should snap him up. From what I recall, the British chief Brexit negotiator got a job with Goldman Sachs, but more than likely the WTO would snap him up.

But you’re taking Phil at his word when his word has changed a few times in the last couple of days. Why would you trust someone now that has already lied to you?

I'm looking at it from the EU's point of view. They won't want any disruption by changing personnel to the US-EU trade talks. The US has slapped on 4.6 bn of tariffs on Euorpean exports to the US (including $1 on a 1 Lb of Kerrygold, and huge tariffs on whiskey). That needs to be sorted quickly and he is the best man for the job because as an Irishman there are a lot of open doors in Washington to him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

1990sman wrote: »
    phil hogan does not need to resign.
    People have nothing to do.

Hope you've both enjoyed your month on boards so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

I'm looking at it from the EU's point of view. They won't want any disruption by changing personnel to the US-EU trade talks. The US has slapped on 4.6 bn of tariffs on Euorpean exports to the US (including $1 on a 1 Lb of Kerrygold, and huge tariffs on whiskey). That needs to be sorted quickly and he is the best man for the job because as an Irishman there are a lot of open doors in Washington to him.

:rolleyes: What would we do without him.

Hayes was just an MEP. Hogan had two of the top portfolio in the EU Commission. He could work as a trade advisor for any country that wants to do a trade deal with the EU. For instance, the UK should snap him up. From what I recall, the British chief Brexit negotiator got a job with Goldman Sachs, but more than likely the WTO would snap him up.

Jaysus.

So he ****s up twice and both times he ends up better off .

First he ****s up over Irish Water and ends up working for the EU commission and then ****s up that and gets a license to print money.

You might start thinking he's doing it on purpose.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I think it is all over now.

Next up is the schools and and the absent MINISTER NORMA

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

fly_agaric wrote: »
    You have a giant bee in your bonnet about "unelected".
    What is so wonderful about every position from bottle washer to president being "elected" anyway?
    So what if part of the EUs executive are unelected? It's just a bullshít talking point that I think originated with Eurosceptics in the UK.

You're absolutely right, we should just let the county councils appoint whoever the **** they like to run the government, while we're at it.

I think it is all over now.

Next up is the schools and and the absent MINISTER NORMA

Sarah McInerney wrote a piece in the Times criticising her today. Google it, I think it's behind a paywall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Del Boy

Big Phil isn't going anywhere. Thick neck on him. Hasn't a notion of resigning.

He's a strong voice for us in Europe right now with Brexit etc.

He'll hop on a flight back to Brussels and forget the enraged Irish public asap.

Advertisement