Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

Ger Roe wrote: »
    I believe the event is being investigated by the Gardaí. The hotel might have questions to answer yet.

The Gardai have been called in to take heat off the establishment. They "won't be able to comment" now because of Gardai investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Ger Roe wrote: »
    What makes you think he has the interests of the Irish people at heart anyway?. He didn't show any signs of it when he went to the golf outing. Maybe he has some Irish interests at heart, big business in the meat processing industry and golfing friends?

We need and deserve better leadership and have a right to expect higher standards from our representatives. I thought the days of the Galway Races Tent politics were over.... it seems not. The circle of privilege lives on, it has just moved location.

I don't agree with what he did but he is not "our" leader, and only indirectly "our" representative.
    He's not really supposed to have "our" interests at heart either as though we (or FG) sent him over there he's an EU politician/bureaucrat whose portfolio/responsibilities were decided at EU level. He is not our county councillor, or even a TD.
    Was just thinking the fact that he is Irish, is in that role & knows the issues around Brexit as they affect us is a benefit at this time and am unsure if Ireland should be trying to get him booted from his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

Hogans situation is very different to the others - who are part of the government based in Ireland.

He is likely primarily base in Brussels and would not be privy to changes in COVID restrictions in Ireland. He is likely on holidays from his Brussels job and may actually not be checking updates on Irish restrictions everyday. He could think that the hotel should be responsible for ensuring that they dont hold a nonCovid compliant event.

I would not consider myself a fan of Phil Hogan - but we should put his transgression in context

• Registered Users Posts: 20,126 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

JJJackal wrote: »
    Hogans situation is very different to the others - who are part of the government based in Ireland.

He is likely primarily base in Brussels and would not be privy to changes in COVID restrictions in Ireland. He is likely on holidays from his Brussels job and may actually not be checking updates on Irish restrictions everyday. He could think that the hotel should be responsible for ensuring that they dont hold a nonCovid compliant event.

I would not consider myself a fan of Phil Hogan - but we should put his transgression in context

context has no place in a thread like this

Bollox. Unless he's been living under a rock he'll have known exactly the restrictions in place. These chancers have PR people working for them besides it takes 10 seconds to Google the restrictions for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

fly_agaric wrote: »
    I don't agree with what he did but he is not "our" leader, and only indirectly "our" representative.
    He's not really supposed to have "our" interests at heart either as though we (or FG) sent him over there he's an EU politician/bureaucrat whose portfolio/responsibilities were decided at EU level. He is not our county councillor, or even a TD.
    Was just thinking the fact that he is Irish, is in that role & knows the issues around Brexit as they affect us is a benefit at this time and am unsure if Ireland should be trying to get him booted from his job.

My leadership comment was a general one, aimed at other directly elected reps that were also in the room. I am aware of Mr Hogan's position and responsibility - he can not exercise national bias on our behalf , as was suggested by the original post that I was replying to.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,126 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Bollox. Unless he's been living under a rock he'll have known exactly the restrictions in place. These chancers have PR people working for them besides it takes 10 seconds to Google the restrictions for Ireland.

if i wasnt living in ireland and i was going to a dinner to sit at a table with a govt minister id be making the assumption the arrangements were above board to be honest. the restrictions had only been updated the day before, he could easily have not known the current state of play.

the irony is the same people could all have their breakfast the next morning in the hotel retaurant and there is no issue....

Anyone in Europe right now will be checking travel restriction's if they are travelling. If like he say's he was in Ireland 2 weeks before he went to Clifden he'll be watching TV, following social media etc..and will have known exactly the rules. There is NO excuse for what he's done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

Phil is untouchable but there is more to come about Phil's movements before the party and that night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Phil might find himself in the crosshairs soon. Significant that Leo had nothing to say about his attendance.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/taoiseach-micheal-martin-removes-fianna-fail-whip-from-three-senators-over-golf-dinner-39467242.html

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭dere34

This is partly why the UK left the EU. The fact that people are appointed and can't be removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

The Gardai have been called in to take heat off the establishment. They "won't be able to comment" now because of Gardai investigation.

There were a load of Gardai parked up outside the hotel. Maybe they saw something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Steyr 556 wrote:
    Milana Vayntrub

reports are that big Phil was resident in kildare before he went to clifden so now he is in breach of the local lockdown rules also

• Registered Users Posts: 86,849 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

https://twitter.com/PhilHoganEU/status/1296748601583063040

Statement out, he says he's in the country since July

In Kildare which is on lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Does Phil Hogan have diplomatic immunity? Or is that just when he is in Brussels?

Phil is untouchable but there is more to come about Phil's movements before the party and that night.

knocking shop ???:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

He is likely on holidays from his Brussels job and may actually not be checking updates on Irish restrictions everyday.

if he is in the country then he should be making himself aware of the possible restrictions that may affect his holiday.

Ignorance is not a defense.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

dere34 wrote: »
    This is partly why the UK left the EU. The fact that people are appointed and can't be removed.

They can be removed. Just not by us, because they are not "our" commissioner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I vote for an inanimate carbon rod

Tub of Lard

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Does Phil Hogan have diplomatic immunity? Or is that just when he is in Brussels?

Diplomatic immunity, can't help hearing that in a South African accent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

I would like to see the Ultimate Warrior give Hogan the gorilla press before pinning him down for the 3 count.

It won't happen, of course, since Warrior is dead :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Liamo57

If I was big Phil I'd brazen it out. I'd say the missus accepted the invite on my behalf and only told me that morning. Id apologise on behalf of her and tell the media to go easy on her, she's a daecent woman and a great wife. I'd blame her like I have blamed everyone along the way up the ladder. Sure everyones afraid of their poo to contradict me. I'd burst them if they didn't agree with me, I'm untouchable with the big swollen Kilkenny head on me, sure women find me irrisistable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Diplomacy or any version of that word/term can never be associated with Big Phil "Trickle" Hogan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Can you imagine what the other European commissioners would think if he gave his reason for resignation as the attendance of a golf dinner in Clifden?

They would be bursting their bolleex laughing at us.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Diplomatic immunity, can't help hearing that in a South African accent

I'm not into Varadkar and his movie quotes but if he says your diplomatic immunity has just been revoked, he'll go up in my estimation.

I'm not into Varadkar and his movie quotes but if he says your diplomatic immunity has just been revoked, he'll go up in my estimation.

Phil will be grand.

He's not Blick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I suppose Leo could get kick him kicked out of the FG party. Not much else can be done as it's out of FG control.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭recyclebin

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Can you imagine what the other European commissioners would think if he gave his reason for resignation as the attendance of a golf dinner in Clifden?

They would be bursting their bolleex laughing at us.
    Plenty of UK ministes have had to resign over trivial matters. It wouldn't be an Irish only thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭Treppen

Turns his many fuck1ng pensions down to a trickle.

• Advertisement

recyclebin wrote: »
    Plenty of UK ministes have had to resign over trivial matters. It wouldn't be an Irish only thing.

Hardly a trivial thing. Flouting restrictions they have imposed on us, giving us the two fingers and further extending the lockdown in Kildare thus rendering many business bankrupt.

This is anything but trivial.

Advertisement