Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Doesn't matter, the only way Hogan can be ousted is via the EU courts for gross misconduct.

He knows this and Von der Leyen knows it also.

Carry on so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

s1ippy wrote: »

I'm going to wait at the airport until he's leaving for Brussels and make a citizen's arrest. I'll film it and post it here.

You will be waiting a long while.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Apparently Drew Harris passed on the info ref Hogan using the phone while driving, and if true, then it's bad form.

It was bad form when Callinan did the same to Shatter to try and damage Wallace, and if it's true, then it's wrong here too.

A commissioner should not be using his position to leak info to politically damage someone, no matter who they are.

Harris might get brought down on this too the way things are shaping up FFS.

Where are you getting this information from? Twitter?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Joedryan

is_that_so wrote: »
    He's well-regarded in the EU, whatever we may think of him.

Fairly irrelevant in the context, needs to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

markodaly wrote: »

Mick Clifford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Yeah.

From Mick Clifford who seems to have just basically read the Indo.

https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/taoiseach-learned-about-phil-hogan-being-in-kildare-because-he-was-stopped-by-gardai-while-on-his-phone-39471647.html?__twitter_impression=true

It's in the first few paragraphs.
    Details of the incident were given to Garda Commissioner Drew Harris who in turn informed Justice Minister Helen McEntee.

And why do you think therefore it was Drew Harris himself that leaked it to the media? Why not a Garda with access to the same information?

And why do you think therefore it was Drew Harris himself that leaked it to the media? Why not a Garda with access to the same information?

Where did I say that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I’m surprised that such an important man has to drive himself.

I believe he use to carpool with Cowen :)

Bowie wrote: »
    I believe he use to carpool with Cowen :)

Coming up after the weather, does Phil Hogan have a full driving license.........

This and more, after the break. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭Treppen

Del Boy wrote: »
    Big Phil isn't going anywhere. Thick neck on him. Hasn't a notion of resigning.

He's a strong voice for us in Europe right now with Brexit etc.

He'll hop on a flight back to Brussels and forget the enraged Irish public asap.

it's like phill has his own GTA game going on.

Where did I say that?

Well, did Helen McEntee tell you herself?
    The crux is who told Mike Clifford?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Well, did Helen McEntee tell you herself?
    The crux is who told Mike Clifford?

The crux is you asked him to back up a claim he never made..
    And why do you think therefore it was Drew Harris himself that leaked it to the media?

Now you're scrambling.

Have you no comment on the national story or Hogan talking on the phone while driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Pelezico wrote: »
    People have nothing to do.

Correct - I lost my job recently because most people are complying with the rules and because it’s the right thing to do.

I’m almost 40, first time since i started working at 16 I’ve collected a social welfare payment. I’ve a wife and two young children to support. I’ve a mortgage to pay and I don’t know when or where my next proper pay cheque will come from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

There's a bigger picture here, not that many contributors here are interested.

The EU Trade Commissioner has a pivotal role and Ireland stands to gain - or lose - more than most from the terms eventually agreed with the UK.

We are exceptionally fortunate that an Irishman was given the job. If Hogan goes, his replacement won't be from around here.

Hogan brought this on himself and deserves censure. But while enjoying his discomfort, mind you don't cut your own noses off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Out of interest how many of the posters on here that are outraged at the behavior of FF and FG are actually surprised by their actions and voted for them in the last GE?

If you did then Call for their heads all you want, but this is and always been how they behave and you had your chance to get them out In the last GE but choose not to.

Now the other alternative isn’t perfect, but there is nothing wrong with giving FFG a kick in the hole, putting them out and giving another party a go, let them look under a few rocks and ruffle a few feathers, and then in a few years turf them out.

FFG have been given a pretty much free ride for a long time in this country, golfgate is what you get when you give these people a free ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

First Up wrote: »

The EU Trade Commissioner has a pivotal role and Ireland stands to gain - or lose - more than most from the terms eventually agreed with the UK.

We are exceptionally fortunate that an Irishman was given the job. If Hogan goes, his replacement won't be from around here.

Hogan brought this on himself and deserves censure. But while enjoying his discomfort, mind you don't cut your own noses off.

There is something seriously wrong with the whole EU mechanism if we are to rely on only 1 person to fight our corner ... wonder what all the elected MEP's do for us ..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Your saying that he has the best interest of the Irish people at heart? That he will do everything possible to ensure the Irish people are not disadvantaged by what’s happening in the Uk.

If you like I can show you an example of what Phil actually thinks of Irish people.

He thinks golf is more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,608 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    There is something seriously wrong with the whole EU mechanism if we are to rely on only 1 person to fight our corner ... wonder what all the elected MEP's do for us ..

Surely you understand the difference between an MEP and the EU Commissioner for Trade? The Commissioner heads up the Directorate-General for Trade in defining the commercial policy of the EU. That is a pretty important position to be in when negotiating with our biggest trading market as they leave the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

You are wasting your keystrokes with this.
    Your argument here will be mischaracterised and distorted as "so we need Hogan to stand up for Ireland in the EU, Hogan Bad -> EU Bad etc" - oh I see it already has been!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

He'll hold onto his pension though. In my mind all these guys should have their pensions removed and told to go swing.

ec-president-vdl@ec.europa.eu

That's Hogan's bosses email contact. Let them know how you feel about this. I have emailed them this morning.

As did I..

Cant believe its still going on, one rule for the lads and another for the stupid public....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Robxxx7 wrote:

We are not relying on one person but it helps that we have a person in a key role who knows the situation backwards.

Hogan's name wasn't pulled out of a hat. An Irish Commissioner in that job is testimony to EU awareness of and support for Ireland's situation. (It is also a credit to our diplomatic lobbying).

It is exasperating that he allowed this happen but be careful what you wish for. A Hungarian or Latvian TC might be a bit harder to get on the phone.

I do hear all the posters saying he is important to us in negotiations but, and I say this without wishing ill on the man in any way......

What if he passed away or got sick and was unable to continue working? Where is the back up plan then? With a coronavirus (that is more fatal to the older generation) running rampant around the world and cases within Europe increasing again, why is such an important man not wrapping himself in bubble wrap in order to stay as safe as possible for the sake of the citizens of Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

We are not relying on one person but it helps that we have a person in a key role who knows the situation backwards.

Hogan's name wasn't pulled out of a hat. An Irish Commissioner in that job is testimony to EU awareness of and support for Ireland's situation. (It is also a credit to our diplomatic lobbying).

It is exasperating that he allowed this happen but be careful what you wish for. A Hungarian or Latvian TC might be a bit harder to get on the phone.

Knows the situation backwards? Hogan doesn't know any situation it seems. Driving around Ireland like Mr Blobby during a pandemic. If only he was a bit harder to get on the phone maybe he wouldn't have been pulled in by Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Im stealing this from another thread.this was written by gareth o Callaghan.but it can be applied to arrogant phil hogan and his arrogant self centered croneys who attended that golf fiasco that we all know about.

"This is a message to all those anti-mask protestors in Dublin yesterday. Like many others reading this, I have a serious illness, and this is how I spend mornings each week receiving treatment to keep my immune system strong and my body healthy. I don't want to catch Covid-19.

When I'm not on my own in this clinical treatment room I wear a face mask to protect me from idiots like you. Can you not show any care or compassion for the elderly and the most vulnerable who you scare, who might not be able to fight this virus if they catch it? People like your own parents?

Do you honestly think your parents or your children are proud of you for what you did yesterday, for behaving like a bunch of ignorant self-centred fools who seem to think there's some sort of solidarity in stupidity? You have been brainwashed.

Your actions yesterday are a direct slap in the face to our brave frontliners. Many of them continue to risk their lives to treat seriously ill coronavirus patients. Some of our frontliners are dead as a result of bravely putting their own lives on the line. They died tragically, and now you have the disgusting audacity to go and do exactly what could kill more of them by putting their lives at risk.

If you think you did something valiant and worthwhile yesterday, then you really need to take a long hard look at your life. Do you think your elderly parents will admire your behaviour yesterday? Do you think your kids will tell all their friends or their teachers about your protest when they return to school next week? No they won't. They're mortified by you, even though they probably won't tell you. You are a joke, even though it's not remotely funny.

Someday you might be staring up into the eyes of a paramedic, or a nurse, as they wheel you into ICU because you are critically ill with this virus. All you will be able to see is their eyes because they're wearing PPE gear to protect themselves against catching Covid-19 from you.

Do all of us who respect life, and how fragile it is and how uncertain these times are, a big favour: Grow up and get some sense.

Wear a mask. Wash your hands. Educate yourselves. Do something decent with your lives that your children will be proud of you for. Stop putting other people's lives at risk."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Can we just move on.

As usual some kind of public and media frenzy obsession. Storm in a tea-cup.

Tons of other fish to fry.

Let's start building high for starters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Cork_Guest

jm08 wrote: »
    Thats not a fact, that is your opinion (which you are entitlted to have).

Ah, you’re one of those people who when faced with something they can’t argue with, just point out slips of the tongue etc. Good to find out sooner than later so I can just not bother now rather than waste more energy. Good luck to ye Phil/Phil’s man ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

This doesn’t seem to have been posted here yet.

The Independent is saying that Hogan had been stopped by the Guards in Kildare because he was using his phone while driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭horse7

It was just on the rte news, but I'm sure it was an important EU call.

Advertisement