Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Chinasea wrote: »
    Can we just move on.

As usual some kind of public and media frenzy obsession. Storm in a tea-cup.

Tons of other fish to fry.

Let's start building high for starters.

Ah here we go, let's just move on. I don't think so, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,608 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

What if he passed away or got sick and was unable to continue working? Where is the back up plan then? With a coronavirus (that is more fatal to the older generation) running rampant around the world and cases within Europe increasing again, why is such an important man not wrapping himself in bubble wrap in order to stay as safe as possible for the sake of the citizens of Ireland?

Rather like the situation which would occur if you passed away, there would no doubt be sadness in some quarters, but life would go on and you would be replaced at work. But if you were working on an important project, it would take your replacement time to get up to speed, build relationships with your team and the client, and it would be hoped that your replacement would be as competent as you (I know, I am making an assumption that both Phil and you are competent at your job, I haven’t heard any complaints about the job Phil is doing in the EU during negotiations.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Anyone who thinks Ireland will be better served having an Irish citizen as EU Trade Commissioner is fooling themselves.

Big Phil is only looking out for himself. He’s an EU employee is his only formal obligation is to the EU itself. Ireland should not form any part of his decision making process. He already sold the farmers short in the South American deal from earlier in the year.

On top of that, he’s already looking for another big job which allows him to live on expenses and play golf around the world. Hadn’t he already thrown his name into the ring for the top job with the WTO?

Big Phil will happily throw Ireland under the proverbial bus in pursuit of his next pension top up. Does anyone genuinely believe that this man will put Ireland’s interest before others in global trade discussions? c’mon.

He’ll then retire and come back here and act like he is beyond reproach and failing to abide to simple laws and rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

horse7 wrote: »
    It was just on the rte news, but I'm sure it was an important EU call.

Probably letting the hotel know he would go the salmon rather than the beef.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

horse7 wrote: »
    It was just on the rte news, but I'm sure it was an important EU call.

Yes no doubt.

It boggles the mind that he lied about being in Kildare knowing that the Guard had a record of stopping him.

Is that arrogance or stupidity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ah here we go, let's just move on. I don't think so, no.
    In the grand scheme of all the rest of the drama the phone is a very minor issue. Being part of the overall story just magnifies it. People get stopped all the time and get fines and points or a good finger wagging.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

smurgen wrote:
    Knows the situation backwards? Hogan doesn't know any situation it seems. Driving around Ireland like Mr Blobby during a pandemic. If only he was a bit harder to get on the phone maybe he wouldn't have been pulled in by Gardai.

You don't understand the situation. Fair enough; leave it to people who do.

is_that_so wrote: »
    In the grand scheme of all the rest of the drama the phone is a very minor issue. Being part of the overall story just magnifies it. People get stopped all the time and get fines and points or a good finger wagging.

Does the idiot not know about hands-free though?

I have serious doubts about this guy's ability to function at any job. He seems like a complete dope. Which leads me to question the shower that hired him.

Wouldn't it be ironic if the guests at the dinner all contracted Covid? Unlikely though - the likes of Hogan are too slimey to have anything like gar befall them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Anyone who thinks Ireland will be better served having an Irish citizen as EU Trade Commissioner is fooling themselves.
    So you'd be quite happy for Ireland to lose its EU Commissioner altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Does the idiot not know about hands-free though?

I have serious doubts about this guy's ability to function at any job. He seems like a complete dope. Which leads me to question the shower that hired him.

Wouldn't it be ironic if the guests at the dinner all contracted Covid? Unlikely though - the likes of Hogan are too slimey to have anything like gar befall them.
    This is one thing that baffles me about people using phones in cars. They will pay through the nose for a shiny new phone but not the tech to go hands free.

• Advertisement

Phoebas wrote: »
    So you'd be quite happy for Ireland to lose its EU Commissioner altogether?

What difference does it make to Ireland?

He cannot show us show Ireland favouritism so an Irish person in the post means nothing to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Dident Phil Hogan instigate all these water charges , back in the day, then that was a flop ......

is_that_so wrote: »
    This is one thing that baffles me about people using phones in cars. They will pay through the nose for a shiny new phone but not the tech to go hands free.

And we have people here saying we need this guy in the Trade Commissioner job for the benefit of Ireland.

He clearly doesn't give a flidders about Irish people because it never occurred to him that he could have killed one of us while gossiping on the phone.

What difference does it make to Ireland?

He cannot show us show Ireland favouritism so an Irish person in the post means nothing to us.

As I said to another poster, if you don't understand something, leave it to people who do.

Dident Phil Hogan instigate all these water charges , back in the day, then that was a flop ......

It is a pity there was no protest marches about people drunk driving, about using phones while driving, about sexual harassment, etc.

Ask us to put our hands in our pocket though and we fill the streets

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

Not condoning what has happened. But I can only assume that everyone here who is demanding Hogan's resignation has also complied 100% with all restrictions.

First Up wrote: »
    As I said to another poster, if you don't understand something, leave it to people who do.

Explain it to me if I'm so wrong.

Or do you just prefer to make glib comments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

They live streamed the government meeting discussing the Phil Hogan situation.
    Got fairly tetchy by all accounts.

https://twitter.com/mutoshow/status/1297654730747977733?s=20

legrand wrote: »
    Not condoning what has happened. But I can only assume that everyone here who is demanding Hogan's resignation has also complied 100% with all restrictions.

I have not called for resignation but I have to my knowledge complied with all restrictions.

I still am which makes grocery shopping an ordeal as the two metre rule seems to have been forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

I have, and stop this deflecting. And as for this 'let's wrap the green flag around us all because he's Irish and somehow one of ours', no thanks. Looks like it is not going to go away and just be forgotten either. This is not just a minority asking for him to resign either. Looks a fairly sizeable majority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Perhaps some of us havent but I'm sure if most of us had responsible positions such as Phil's we certainly would have the brains not to be putting our positions in jeopardy like that...
    Also, I thought Bluetooth was fairly inexpensive these days..!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Perhaps some of us havent but I'm sure if most of us had responsible positions such as Phil's we certainly would have the brains not to be putting our positions in jeopardy like that...

Probably doesn’t know how to use it. He’s probably spent the last 20 years of his life been chauffeur driven so never had to use it.

First Up wrote: »

No response?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

Big Phil is only looking out for himself. He’s an EU employee is his only formal obligation is to the EU itself. Ireland should not form any part of his decision making process. He already sold the farmers short in the South American deal from earlier in the year.

On top of that, he’s already looking for another big job which allows him to live on expenses and play golf around the world. Hadn’t he already thrown his name into the ring for the top job with the WTO?

Big Phil will happily throw Ireland under the proverbial bus in pursuit of his next pension top up. Does anyone genuinely believe that this man will put Ireland’s interest before others in global trade discussions? c’mon.

He’ll then retire and come back here and act like he is beyond reproach and failing to abide to simple laws and rules.

But Mr Hogan is one of our 'betters'. And we always tip the cap to our betters no matter what wrongs they do. It's the Irish way. They know best what's good for us. And if he does get another job, we probably deserve it.

Maybe Dara Muprhy can help, he also works in Europe dont you know. He gets great expenses....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Cal4567 wrote: »
    I have, and stop this deflecting. And as for this 'let's wrap the green flag around us all because he's Irish and somehow one of ours', no thanks. Looks like it is not going to go away and just be forgotten either. This is not just a minority asking for him to resign either. Looks a fairly sizeable majority.

A good cull of the politicians is needed for an improvement in the overall performance of all politicians. Covid seems to be enabling this, about time something did.

Off topic but are any of you folks here Guards or know any?

What is feeling when a knob like this gets pulled over for using a phone and things like that?

I'd just be fed up of dealing with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭quokula

I’d imagine most people who are smart enough to have worked their way up to a position as important as his would have thought that accepting an invite to an event that he didn’t organise and he assumed the organisers were following guidelines, where there were fewer than fifty people that he could see in the same area as him due to the partitioning, wouldn’t put his his job in jeopardy because nobody intelligent and rational would have expected that to lead to a mob with their pitchforks out calling for him to resign and shoot ourselves in the foot on the global stage and do possible severe damage to our economy in the Brexit negotiations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

quokula wrote: »
    I’d imagine most people who are smart enough to have worked their way up to a position as important as his would have thought that accepting an invite to an event that he didn’t organise and he assumed the organisers were following guidelines, where there were fewer than fifty people that he could see in the same area as him due to the partitioning, wouldn’t put his his job in jeopardy because nobody intelligent and rational would have expected that to lead to a mob with their pitchforks out calling for him to resign and shoot ourselves in the foot on the global stage and do possible severe damage to our economy in the Brexit negotiations.

But everyone involved knew the guidance changed to 6 people the day before, how could they not it was on the news and decided upon by people at the event... Surely someone with such a high level job has enough brains to realise this?

quokula wrote: »

I'd say it was fairly obvious that there was more than six people at the dinner.\\

And commissioners are not supposed to show favouritism to their countries.

Has Hogan done this since getting the job?

• Advertisement

Explain it to me if I'm so wrong.

Or do you just prefer to make glib comments?

It is not about showing "favouritism". It is about understanding (and caring) how the minutiae of EU - UK trade relations will impact on sectors and regions. Of course it isn't just down to Hogan but he has about 100 staff feeding into the system and he has a great rapport with Barnier.

There's loads of trade-offs in these matters and there's a million things to think about. We are much better off with someone in charge who has our issues close to the top of the list.

Every minute of every day of EU membership involves a bit of nudging, lobbying, persuading and thinking outside the box. We have been rather good at it for going on 50 years and having an Irish Commissioner in the most important job at the most important time is hugely important and valuable.

We would be shooting ourselves in the feet, hands and head if we throw that away to score a few political points.

Advertisement