Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

is_that_so wrote: »
    Ah but they were "two" rooms of 40, sort of joined!

Still not allowed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

The whole Sinn Fein are bad because there was a funeral and people went to it is a red herring. This post is made without prejudice. It's just to note that I can't see much difference between the two in terms of public health measures.

I find it despicable that family tragedies are being used as political footballs.

June 21st
    524086.JPG

June 30th
    524085.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

I think guards have to apply common sense in some situations. E.G if you pull over somebody from speeding and see they have a sick child in the car and are rushing to the hospital, do you give them points for speeding? Not saying that was the situation with Hogan but I would imagine there are situations that need a bit of leeway.

The example you used is about as far from the situation as you can get.

jojofizzio wrote: »
    Still not allowed!!

My nephew postponed his May wedding till later this year. He’s going to just have the ceremony now with the parents as he had already sent out invites and doesn’t want to pick 35 ish people from all those he invited. A big party will come later hopefully.

At no stage did the hotel suggest that he could have everyone there if they just partition the room up. Not the same hotel but I doubt any couple in the country would have been offered this as a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Can you not just answer the question without revealing where you sit on the gowl scale ?

I don't have much patience with people who need someone on Boards to explain the world to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Geuze wrote: »
    I do not think Phil Hogan should resign, and I think the whole thing is exaggerated.

Why?

It seems that 60-70-100 people made up of say 20 tables can be in a regular pub/restaurant, in one single large room, and that's okay.

But 60 people who are linked in some way can't sit down for a meal in the same room, with the exact same table configuration, as that would be defined as "an event".

Now, clearly, there are pubs/restaurants up and down the country with more than 50 people in a room, every day.

It's a bit odd that more than 50 are allowed in pubs/restaurants. Ok, the people won't all know each other, and will enter/leave at different times.

Yet if the same number sit down at the same tables, in the same room, and it's classified as "an event", then these people should resign?

That's an over-reaction, in my opinion.

Well in this case, your are entitled to your opinion but you don't make legislation - some of the people who were there do and others with more connections than us, knew damn well that they were playing cute hoors with the rules.

Now Joe public can do that if he wants, taking the risk that he might be caught, but those in public office certainly can't. These people are different, they should at least adhere to the current rules and standards, if not exceed them. They should not be looking for short cuts to disregard them.

They thought they could pull a fast one and they looked for loopholes to literally drive through them (or maybe helicopter over them), but they have been snared. If every member of the public did the same, we would be back to full hospitals in no time. Anyone can justify their own reasons for the rules not applying to them - it's not clever, or helpful in the current situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,688 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Now he’s trying to be a hard man against the anti mask protests.

He’s been all over the place in this interview :/

Yes.

They have no choice.
    We have had the same people in power for long enough. Time for change is long since last.

If you think we should keep having reinventions of FFG then resolve yourself to never complain about their actions. If you don’t vote for change then don’t cry when nothing changes.

I'm not saying anything in support of FG or FF.

I'm commenting on your belief that SF will allow themselves be removed from office.

Hotel Federation spokesman is the radio

• Registered Users Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I'm not saying anything in support of FG or FF.

I'm commenting on your belief that SF will allow themselves be removed from office.

How is it that you think they will stay in office once an election is lost?

• Advertisement

My ears have started bleeding listening to him

EDIT: The hotel federation spokesman I mean

How is it that you think they will stay in office once an election is lost?

The lads in balaclavas with the big sticks

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

The whole Sinn Fein are bad because there was a funeral and people went to it is a red herring. This post is made without prejudice. It's just to note that I can't see much difference between the two in terms of public health measures.

I find it despicable that family tragedies are being used as political footballs.

June 21st
    524086.JPG

June 30th
    524085.jpg
    whne you are outside its safer in a closed room in the evening windows closed pitythe whole lot of them didnt get the virus that would put a stop to their putting !

The lads in balaclavas with the big sticks

At least they make it easy to know who the enemy is by wearing a balaclava. It’s the crooks in suits I worry more about.

All of this boils down to one thing for me.

The UK has one Dominic Cummings, and look at the damage he has done to their efforts.

We have 81 Dominic Cummings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Hotel Federation spokesman is the radio

He's just said that when a Taoiseach announces that "the latest restrictions come into place immediately" he is incorrect.

Those guidelines then need to be transcribed into actions by his staff and sent to Orgs like IHF so that they can recommend specific actions to their members.

Claire Byrne asked him if interpreting it that way is against the spirit of the guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I was thinking about this last night.

Why do people want Phil Hogan out of his job. He has no part in the laws and regulation governing our land for C19.

What do people hope will be achieved by his sacking in Europe?

The more I think of it, the more it just smacks of revenge for him being the guy who enforced government policy on water charges.

No one called for MLD and PD to resign from their positions when at a funeral in the North. Why not? And please don't say they're not making the laws. Neither is Hogan.

At least they make it easy to know who the enemy is by wearing a balaclava. It’s the crooks in suits I worry more about.

I prefer the crooks in suits.

Easier to refill my account than regrow a knee cap

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭StefanFal

He made a mistake and apologized accordingly. Whether he meant it remains to be seen.

Removing him does not change anything. Leave him be I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Why do people want Phil Hogan out of his job. He has no part in the laws and regulation governing our land for C19.

The more I think of it, the more it just smacks of revenge for him being the guy who enforced government policy on water charges.

No one called for MLD and PD to resign from their positions when at a funeral in the North. Why not? And please don't say they're not making the laws. Neither is Hogan.

I had no part in drafting drink driving laws, so is it ok if I have a few bottles before I sit behind the wheel?

• Advertisement

Aln Kelly is explaining that very well on the radio at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Aln Kelly is explaining that very well on the radio at the moment

What's he saying

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Hardly a Eureka moment, it's been discussed on here about 1500 times already.

It's the same way no-one is calling on members of AGS or Charlie Flanagan/Frank Feighan etc to resign over the same guideline's being flouted at Garda Horkans funeral.

Guidelines aren't regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Michesl Martins interview a shambles. His Minister Darragh O Brien called for Phil Hogan's resignation this morning but Micheal Martin didn't say one way or the other. Couldn't give a straight answer
    https://www-irishexaminer-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40036844.html?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&type=amp&usqp=mq331AQIKAGwASDIAQE%3D#aoh=15982632231675&csi=1&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishexaminer.com%2Fnews%2Farid-40036844.html

IHF spokesman didn't help by saying they didn't make any specific statement saying the event should go ahead.

Now Pearse Doherty and Alan Kelly are on.

In comparison to them Micheal Martin is a shocking speaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

It's not just Hogan, and it's not just for attending the function. It's the confirmation that the lobbying and deal wrangling behind closed and privileged doors, is still rife - even after promises from all parties that those days are gone.

Any and all public office holders that attended that event, should resign. Leo and Micheal need to get a grip on their own parties before public opinion gives them a hiding. Heads need to be seen to roll.

He's just said that when a Taoiseach announces that "the latest restrictions come into place immediately" he is incorrect.

Those guidelines then need to be transcribed into actions by his staff and sent to Orgs like IHF so that they can recommend specific actions to their members.

Claire Byrne asked him if interpreting it that way is against the spirit of the guidelines.

Byrne is right. It is is against the spirit of it.

It is also just selfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

And his mobile phone use?

Bad to be using mobile phone, surely somebody with a strong income would have a car with Bluetooth?????

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I had no part in drafting drink driving laws, so is it ok if I have a few bottles before I sit behind the wheel?

No. Should you be fired from your job for drink driving though. Probably not once there's no driving involved

I prefer the crooks in suits.

Easier to refill my account than regrow a knee cap

Do you know how many suicides were a result of what happened in this country as a result of the financial mismanagement that went on by your revered suits?

Grow up.

• Advertisement

titan18 wrote: »
    No. Should you be fired from your job for drink driving though. Probably not once there's no driving involved

Oops.

Advertisement