Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Byrne is right. It is is against the spirit of it.

It is also just selfish.

I hope she pulled him up on it and told him the hotel were breaching the old guidelines that had been in place for weeks...but no doubt she didn’t...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

Geuze wrote: »
    Bad to be using mobile phone, surely somebody with a strong income would have a car with Bluetooth?????

It's not bad, it's illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Oops.

Why oops? No reason an office worker who doesn't drive as part of his job should be fired for drink driving imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Do you know how many suicides were a result of what happened in this country as a result of the financial mismanagement that went on by your revered suits?

Grow up.

Agree, including my own father who was absolutely lost without work. There is a balance to be had.

We need better governance and accountability in our political systems and then the wider regulatory stuff will follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

Michesl Martins interview a shambles. His Minister Darragh O Brien called for Phil Hogan's resignation this morning but Micheal Martin didn't say one way or the other. Couldn't give a straight answer
    https://www-irishexaminer-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40036844.html?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&type=amp&usqp=mq331AQIKAGwASDIAQE%3D#aoh=15982632231675&csi=1&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishexaminer.com%2Fnews%2Farid-40036844.html

IHF spokesman didn't help by saying they didn't make any specific statement saying the event should go ahead.

Now Pearse Doherty and Alan Kelly are on.

In comparison to them Micheal Martin is a shocking speaker.

That Hotel spokesperson couldn't have been more slimey. They knew the restriction were made and used technicalities to line their pockets,

Doherty is very good at at deflecting.

Alan Kelly has always come across as decent and very competent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

I had no part in drafting drink driving laws, so is it ok if I have a few bottles before I sit behind the wheel?

more interesting do you think everybody thats caught drink driving should have to resign from his her job ...
    if your answer to this is yes than i guess you are ok to ask for his resignation if not i guess you would think the fines for drink driving or being at an illegal meeting should apply.

He's just said that when a Taoiseach announces that "the latest restrictions come into place immediately" he is incorrect.

Those guidelines then need to be transcribed into actions by his staff and sent to Orgs like IHF so that they can recommend specific actions to their members.

Claire Byrne asked him if interpreting it that way is against the spirit of the guidelines.

Seems fair. Maybe government should be more organised and get the staff to start updating stuff before they announce things prematurely. I'm sure we've all been annoyed by them announcing things and it being weeks later before they're actually in law (mask wearing in shops as a recent example)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

That Hotel spokesperson couldn't have been more slimey. They knew the restriction were made and used technicalities to line their pockets,

Doherty is very good at at deflecting.

Alan Kelly has always come across as decent and very competent

The main things that the IHF Spx said were that it was wrong to open the partition and that they didn't give a specific instruction one way or the other for the event to go ahead. They simply said to follow the status quo of the regulations atm.

They've tried to simultaneously cover their arses and not hang the attendees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

StefanFal wrote: »
    He made a mistake and apologized accordingly. Whether he meant it remains to be seen.

Removing him does not change anything. Leave him be I say.

He has

1) disobeyed county lockdown restrictions
    2) committed a driving offence by using a mobile phone
    3) breached public heath guidelines by attending an event
    4) ignored an orange weather warning which advised against unnecessary journeys

And in dispute at the moment is his mandatory 14 day quarantine. His story has more holes than Swiss cheese

He didn’t just make a mistake .... he made several and someone of his stature in the public eye absolutely should know better

Phil thinks he’s too big to fail. The politicians in this country are in for a rude awakening if they think they can continue in their old ways

What does leaving him be say to everyone who has largely stayed within the rules?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Ger Roe wrote: »
    It's not just Hogan, and it's not just for attending the function. It's the confirmation that the lobbying and deal wrangling behind closed and privileged doors, is still rife - even after promises from all parties that those days are gone.

Any and all public office holders that attended that event, should resign. Leo and Micheal need to get a grip on their own parties before public opinion gives them a hiding. Heads need to be seen to roll.

There must have been a serious amount of pent up demand for deal making that needs to occur in person. All the major players were there and I'm not talking about golf.

It must have been very hard with all of the restrictions etc to have a word in someone's ear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

peter kern wrote: »
    more interesting do you think everybody thats caught drink driving should have to resign from his her job ...
    if your answer to this is yes than i guess you are ok to ask for his resignation if not i guess you would think the fines for drink driving or being at an illegal meeting should apply.

If you are party to drafting laws you expect others to live by, the least you can do is abide by those laws. It's not a difficult concept to understand.

If you are party to drafting laws you expect others to live by, the least you can do is abide by those laws. It's not a difficult concept to understand.

Hogan isn't though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,581 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The main things that the IHF Spx said were that it was wrong to open the partition and that they didn't give a specific instruction one way or the other for the event to go ahead. They simply said to follow the status quo of the regulations atm.

Did he explicitly say the partition was a legitimate workaround for the previous regulations? If so wow!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

titan18 wrote: »
    Hogan isn't though.

Hogan spent many years in the legislature of this country voting for and drafting laws we have to follow.
    Unfortunately for Hogan and his ilk, he due to his status is expected to behave to a higher standard than the plebs.

peter kern wrote: »

I think anyone driving drunk, on drunks, speeding and such should get a severe beating from the Guards on the spot.

Not sure about being sacked from their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Why oops? No reason an office worker who doesn't drive as part of his job should be fired for drink driving imo.

Oops because nobody has been fired because of this.

Seems fair. Maybe government should be more organised and get the staff to start updating stuff before they announce things prematurely. I'm sure we've all been annoyed by them announcing things and it being weeks later before they're actually in law (mask wearing in shops as a recent example)

The new restrictions were announced to the whole country.

Hotels claiming they don't apply to them until some technicality is fulfilled is just stupid.

Covid doesn't work that way.

Claire Byrne has just said that Ursula Von Der Leyen spokesperson gas just said that she had requested further clarification from Phil Hogan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Von Der Leyen looking for further clarifications after receiving Hogans version of events.

Getting hairy.

Yes but their excuses are annoyingly asinine.

The management of the hotel and all the guests knew what had been announced and just didn't give a toss.

• Advertisement

Hogan spent many years in the legislature of this country voting for and drafting laws we have to follow.
    Unfortunately for Hogan and his ilk, he due to his status is expected to behave to a higher standard than the plebs.

Just cos he used to be TD doesn't mean he's always treated like one imo

Oops because nobody has been fired because of this.

Oh I know, just responding to the post mentioning it

Yes but their excuses are annoyingly asinine.

The management of the hotel and all the guests knew what had been announced and just didn't give a toss.

I agree with you.

He has

1) disobeyed county lockdown restrictions
    2) committed a driving offence by using a mobile phone
    3) breached public heath guidelines by attending an event
    4) ignored an orange weather warning which advised against unnecessary journeys

And in dispute at the moment is his mandatory 14 day quarantine. His story has more holes than Swiss cheese

He didn’t just make a mistake .... he made several and someone of his stature in the public eye absolutely should know better

Phil thinks he’s too big to fail. The politicians in this country are in for a rude awakening if they think they can continue in their old ways

What does leaving him be say to everyone who has largely stayed within the rules?

Pretty much what Alan Kelly said on the radio.

There are thicks like Hogan in all walks of life and there are thicks who do not want to obey the restrictions. Hogan swaying about without a care in the world just feeds that appetite others have to be thick.

There must have been a serious amount of pent up demand for deal making that needs to occur in person. All the major players were there and I'm not talking about golf.

It must have been very hard with all of the restrictions etc to have a word in someone's ear.

I had not thought about how shifty the judge being thee is until the Taoiseach mentioned in on the radio himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Jesus, have a read of this. MM said he can't comment on the judge being there as the judiciary is separate under the constitution for good reason. Fair enough.

Claire Byrne then correctly asks, "Why was he there with politicians and business people?"

MM said it's a test for the judiciary.

Can we play a game of count the conflict of interests between the people who attended?

https://twitter.com/BarbaraMcMahon8/status/1297834111361601536?s=20

Claire Byrne has just said that Ursula Von Der Leyen spokesperson gas just said that she had requested further clarification from Phil Hogan.
    ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Von Der Leyen looking for further clarifications after receiving Hogans version of events.

Getting hairy.

Read through the tweet for her reactions.
    https://twitter.com/KevinPurcell_/status/1297839010308657153?s=19

The new restrictions were announced to the whole country.

Hotels claiming they don't apply to them until some technicality is fulfilled is just stupid.

Covid doesn't work that way.

True, but if they've been operating on this basis since March and have an arrangement with Department of Tourism, then they'd reasonably expect that to have continued with last week. I, or anyone of us, don't know what was arranged between them but if it's been a constant Martin/Varadkar issue guidelines and they finally get updated a few days later and that's how they've operated for months, then reasonable to expect that to have been in place last week.

Did he explicitly say the partition was a legitimate workaround for the previous regulations? If so wow!:eek:

Not sure, but he said the announcement of new restrictions didn't apply to them when they could make money out of these twats having a knees up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Bit of finger wagging in Hogans direction from the EU id say for the optics. Can't see Ursula sacking him to be honest

Advertisement