Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Did he explicitly say the partition was a legitimate workaround for the previous regulations? If so wow!:eek:
    no.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

titan18 wrote: »
    True, but if they've been operating on this basis since March and have an arrangement with Department of Tourism, then they'd reasonably expect that to have continued with last week. I, or anyone of us, don't know what was arranged between them but if it's been a constant Martin/Varadkar issue guidelines and they finally get updated a few days later and that's how they've operated for months, then reasonable to expect that to have been in place last week.

I did not know that and isn't it just nonsense?

New restrictions are created to combat Covid but they can be disregarded for few days - as if the virus will take break from spreading.

Not sure, but he said the announcement of new restrictions didn't apply to them when they could make money out of these twats having a knees up.
    which is irrelevant because the no more then 50 in one room rule applied

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭corminators

We need Phil Hogan for the brexit talks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Did he explicitly say the partition was a legitimate workaround for the previous regulations? If so wow!:eek:

I don't think so, from what I can remember he only said it was wrong to open it. I'll see if I can find a recording of it.

• Advertisement

Jesus, have a read of this. MM said he can't comment on the judge being there as the judiciary is separate under the constitution for good reason. Fair enough.

Claire Byrne then correctly asks, "Why was he there with politicians and business people?"

MM said it's a test for the judiciary.

Can we play a game of count the conflict of interests between the people who attended?

https://twitter.com/BarbaraMcMahon8/status/1297834111361601536?s=20

The Taosiseach was very clear that he the judge should not have been there at all. He all but said it was shifty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

We don't. As pointed out many times Hogan's job is to represent the EU as a whole not just Ireland.

We don't. As pointed out many times Hogan's job is to represent the EU as a whole not just Ireland.

Can you have such an arrogant incompetent representing the EU as a whole?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Jesus, have a read of this. MM said he can't comment on the judge being there as the judiciary is separate under the constitution for good reason. Fair enough.

Claire Byrne then correctly asks, "Why was he there with politicians and business people?"

MM said it's a test for the judiciary.

Can we play a game of count the conflict of interests between the people who attended?

https://twitter.com/BarbaraMcMahon8/status/1297834111361601536?s=20
    The Taosiseach was very clear that he the judge should not have been there at all. He all but said it was shifty.

He answered it spot on. It's not his place to comment on it because they are independent and rightly so. MM literally can't comment on it. I was pointing out the fact that this carry on even goes on. The judiciary are supposed to be beyond reproach and probably hold themselves to an even higher bar of ethics than our politicians. Clearly not.

What's crazy is that he was there in the first place and the people at his table. Sorry if it looked like it was a dig at MM, it wasn't.

which is irrelevant because the no more then 50 in one room rule applied

The government had already made the announcement that that was changing that to stop the spread of Covid.

The fact that they had not passed on official documents or whatever is a stupid excuse - Covid doesn't care about bureaucracy.

• Advertisement

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

no he doesn't, he went to a golf dinner. It no way impacts how good he is at his job or his competence in doing it. This is getting ridiculous people resigning for mistakes that aren't related to their portfolios........everyone needs to get a grip it was stupid to do but no one in the country is fully obeying the restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

You'd be happy for Ireland to lose our Commissioner altogether then? Give it to Germany or some other bigger country, because having a Commissioner has no benefit whatsoever?

You're living in a dream world if you actually believe what you typed.

I think it is represent the EU as whole. Not represent Ireland at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

anyone guessing what time we will have a resignation from phil hogan at. im purely speculating that he will resign. im guessing 5pm today it will be announced on the news that he has gone.

pity padraig flynn isnt around to take his place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

I think it is represent the EU as whole. Not represent Ireland at all.

Completely true, however having a trade commissioner that understands the history and complexities of the border would be an advantage for ireland over say the trade commissioner being from southern europe

The government had already made the announcement that that was changing that to stop the spread of Covid.

The fact that they had not passed on official documents or whatever is a stupid excuse - Covid doesn't care about bureaucracy.
    im just pointing out that the laws and guidelines had been places for many weeks at that stage

He answered it spot on. It's not his place to comment on it because they are independent and rightly so. MM literally can't comment on it. I was pointing out the fact that this carry on even goes on. The judiciary are supposed to be beyond reproach and probably hold themselves to an even higher bar of ethics than our politicians. Clearly not.

What's crazy is that he was there in the first place and the people at his table. Sorry if it looked like it was a dig at MM, it wasn't.

I didn't take it as a dig at him. I just phrased my post badly.

ec18 wrote: »
    Completely true, however having a trade commissioner that understands the history and complexities of the border would be an advantage for ireland over say the trade commissioner being from southern europe

Anyone who doesn't understand this, doesn't understand it on purpose.

ec18 wrote: »
    no he doesn't, he went to a golf dinner. It no way impacts how good he is at his job or his competence in doing it. This is getting ridiculous people resigning for mistakes that aren't related to their portfolios........everyone needs to get a grip it was stupid to do but no one in the country is fully obeying the restrictions.

Many many are obeying the full restrictions.

I know I have so don't be transferring the fact you have not onto others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I did not know that and isn't it just nonsense?

New restrictions are created to combat Covid but they can be disregarded for few days - as if the virus will take break from spreading.

I'd agree it's nonsense if so. I mean, i don't see why it'd be too hard for Government to get updates out quicker. Like, if they decide it on a Tuesday, either at worst wait until the Wednesday morning to announce to get all your ducks in a row, or do the thing they were doing previously by announcing and going in effect from this date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

God help us, if that is the case. He recently tried to get out of the job himself, by attempting to apply for a different post in the EU.

Our illustrious leaders can only deal with one issue at a time. If he resigns, or is fired from the EU job, they (Ireland Inc) will deal with that.

I don't believe that transgressions of this serious nature should be ignored because of possible unknown future consequences. If the ultimate decision makers (the electorate) don't like whatever Brexit deal is ultimately done, we can express our opinions then, on the deal, the EU, our own leaders, whatever it takes.

The leaders of the political parties need to know the potential consequences of the anger that they, or their colleagues, or associated hangers on, are stirring up. Listening to MM on RTE radio earlier, I don't think he appreciates the depth of feeling yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Phoebas wrote: »
    You'd be happy for Ireland to lose our Commissioner altogether then? Give it to Germany or some other bigger country, because having a Commissioner has no benefit whatsoever?

The job of a Commissioner is to represent the EU as a whole. You seem to think it translates to parish pump politics only on a grander scale.

Phoebas wrote: »

What benefit is it to Ireland?

Especially with a guy who puts himself first?

anyone guessing what time we will have a resignation from phil hogan at. im purely speculating that he will resign. im guessing 5pm today it will be announced on the news that he has gone.

pity padraig flynn isnt around to take his place.

Why are they given the chance to resign.

Is no sacked anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Von Der Leyen looking for further clarifications after receiving Hogans version of events.

Getting hairy.

I don't think he should have to resign for what he did, let alone be removed.
    He apologised, that is fair enough or it would be if it was someone else I think.

His Irish Water history and the dislike some in Ireland feel for him is really immaterial and should have nothing to do with whether he should resign or not.

However if he does not tell the truth about what happened then that could be more of an issue for him keeping his position (it becomes an ethics problem I assume?).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Brexit is concluded, alls left is paperwork and I suspect Hogan doesn't do much of that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

This is mad. You can watch back.
    A UK press person is not letting it drop.
    Do the UK want him gone for some reason?

https://audiovisual.ec.europa.eu/en/ebs/live/1?lg=OR

What benefit is it to Ireland?

Especially with a guy who puts himself first?

If you really think it's of no benefit to Ireland, you wouldn't object if having a Commissioner was to be taken off Ireland permanently?

• Advertisement

Brexit is concluded, alls left is paperwork and I suspect Hogan doesn't do much of that
    Brexit isn't concluded yet, but Hogan's job isn't Brexit; it's the FTA that follows Brexit.

Advertisement