Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

ec18 wrote: »
    Completely true, however having a trade commissioner that understands the history and complexities of the border would be an advantage for ireland over say the trade commissioner being from southern europe

How do you know Hogan understands those complexities?

And since he isn't suppose to be a voice for Ireland what differences do those make?

Plus he clearly puts himself before others so it is unlikely he will use his position to benefit anyone but himself. As Doherty pointed out on the radio he is trying to shift himself into another job anyway. Not how someone with Ireland in mind over Brexit things.

im just pointing out that the laws and guidelines had been places for many weeks at that stage

And Covid doesn't care.

The restrictions are being created because the are believed necessary. That means anyone with a brain should act on those restrictions immediately and not try get away with it for as long as the can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭joseywhales

no he doesn't, he went to a golf dinner. It no way impacts how good he is at his job or his competence in doing it. This is getting ridiculous people resigning for mistakes that aren't related to their portfolios........everyone needs to get a grip it was stupid to do but no one in the country is fully obeying the restrictions.

If they do not believe in the restrictions then they should have come out and said so before breaking them. I would say having principles and moral strength is a competency of someone who wishes to be a public representative. Not having those competencies makes them less trustworthy and less influential when making agreements with other groups. By either implicitly accepting the restrictions or the authority that implemented them and then breaking them, they have shown us that they are untrustworthy. A person of principle would have explicitly rejected the restrictions if that was their position. Even more laughably, one of the offenders was on the cabinet that contrived the restrictions. His position was obviously untenable.

Phoebas wrote: »
    Anyone who doesn't understand this, doesn't understand it on purpose.

You still have yet to explain how Hogan is benefit in the position.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Ger Roe wrote: »
    God help us, if that is the case. He recently tried to get out of the job himself, by attempting to apply for a different post in the EU.

This.

Wasn't Phil contemplating jumping ship to the WTO a few weeks ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

Many many are obeying the full restrictions.

I know I have so don't be transferring the fact you have not onto others.

Congratulations, many many are and don't assume you are the exception to the statement, there are too many clarifications and scenarios for anyone to fully comply.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Del Boy

It's an advantage to Ireland in Europe if Phil stays in place.

Even though he should step aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

If you really think it's of no benefit to Ireland, you wouldn't object if having a Commissioner was to be taken off Ireland permanently?

If we put forward a complete gobshyte for the position and he pisses off all and sundry we have to take the hit,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

If he died in the morning Brexit would continue and the world would continue to spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

And Covid doesn't care.

The restrictions are being created because the are believed necessary. That means anyone with a brain should act on those restrictions immediately and not try get away with it for as long as the can.

I mean if there's a general timeline that when restrictions are announced, they come into force a few days later for hotels after documentation is updated and issued as they're claiming to be, then it's fair to say they weren't trying to get away with it (partition ****e for that particular hotel not withstanding).

To me, it looks like another fudge by the government that either they agreed this with hotels previously, and trying to row back now and say guidelines were to be implemented immediately based off the few minutes Martin speaks on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,207 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Anyone who doesn't understand this, doesn't understand it on purpose.

The government clearly 'don't understand it', they wanted him to go to the WTO a cupla months ago ffs. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Del Boy wrote: »

How so? Please explain.

titan18 wrote: »
    I'd agree it's nonsense if so. I mean, i don't see why it'd be too hard for Government to get updates out quicker. Like, if they decide it on a Tuesday, either at worst wait until the Wednesday morning to announce to get all your ducks in a row, or do the thing they were doing previously by announcing and going in effect from this date.

I think you are missing what I'm saying.

The restrictions are created and updated to contain a virus.

Do these hotel owners and other people not understand that while they delay in acting they allow the virus to spread?

The government makes an announcement and you get your own "ducks in a row" while waiting on official documents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

I ask again, why is it an advantage?

His loyalty is to Europe not to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Phil wanted to go off to the WTO a while back

Many many are obeying the full restrictions.

I know I have so don't be transferring the fact you have not onto others.
    If they do not believe in the restrictions then they should have come out and said so before breaking them. I would say having principles and moral strength is a competency of someone who wishes to be a public representative. Not having those competencies makes them less trustworthy and less influential when making agreements with other groups. By either implicitly accepting the restrictions or the authority that implemented them and then breaking them, they have shown us that they are untrustworthy. A person of principle would have explicitly rejected the restrictions if that was their position. Even more laughably, one of the offenders was on the cabinet that contrived the restrictions. His position was obviously untenable.

Dara needed to resign, hogan's not part of the government and in his defence if you received an invitation to an even organised by a govt society you would assume it was compliant.....all this calling for resignations is to make someone in the SF twitterverse feeling better. There was a lot less noise on social media around the bobby storey funeral debacle. wonder why

There is no evidence that Hogan has ever done anything that wasn't to further his own ambitions, Hogan doesn't give a fxxk about anyone but himself and would happily sell the whole country out in a heartbeat

I ask again, why is it an advantage?

His loyalty is to Europe not to Ireland.

I repeat,

having a trade commissioner that understands the history and complexities of the border would be an advantage for ireland over say the trade commissioner being from southern europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Getting a little bit tricky for Hogan now. His first explanation was not good enough.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/von-der-leyen-seeks-more-information-from-phil-hogan-on-golfgate-39472874.html

Congratulations, many many are and don't assume you are the exception to the statement, there are too many clarifications and scenarios for anyone to fully comply.

No there isn't and they've all been simple to understand.

Again stop transferring the fact you didn't bother to try on to others.

• Advertisement

Dara needed to resign, hogan's not part of the government and in his defence if you received an invitation to an even organised by a govt society you would assume it was compliant.....all this calling for resignations is to make someone in the SF twitterverse feeling better. There was a lot less noise on social media around the bobby storey funeral debacle. wonder why

2 months ago and it was smaller than the Garda Horkan funeral, if we are using the big brush most of the cabinet will be down the dole office along with Mary Lou.

No there isn't and they've all been simple to understand.

Again stop transferring the fact you didn't bother to try on to others.

never assume, I have 99% of them.....I'm done arguing with St Patrick the patron saint of Covid restrictions.. the thread is about should phil resign and i don't think there's any grounds for him to resign based on some people getting their knickers in a twist over it

titan18 wrote: »
    I mean if there's a general timeline that when restrictions are announced, they come into force a few days later for hotels after documentation is updated and issued as they're claiming to be, then it's fair to say they weren't trying to get away with it (partition ****e for that particular hotel not withstanding).

To me, it looks like another fudge by the government that either they agreed this with hotels previously, and trying to row back now and say guidelines were to be implemented immediately based off the few minutes Martin speaks on it.

Maybe I'm not explaining my point properly.

The restrictions are created to contain the spread of a virus.

Why is God's name would a hotel not act on that immediately?

Waiting for the rule to be enforced is ridiculous - the virus will still be spreading.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 irish2469

He needs to resign, and a few more along with him,
    Disgracefull behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I think you are missing what I'm saying.

The restrictions are created and updated to contain a virus.

Do these hotel owners and other people not understand that while they delay in acting they allow the virus to spread?

The government makes an announcement and you get your own "ducks in a row" while waiting on official documents.

I understand what you're saying, and as someone who's in general pro restrictions for Covid, and has done best to stick to them (as nonsense as some of them are/were imo), I don't see why the government shouldn't be putting everything into place so that this is all above board and clearly documented what's expected of people, and that laws can be put in place, before they go on to get their TV time.

For it to be taking 3/4 days for hotels to get the proper updates that they need is ridiculous imo. Its impossible to go off what Martin is saying in his conferences. He waffles and doesnt go into detail.

I remember back with the roadmap stuff in April/May that when Varadkar announced it, there was stuff on the gov.ie website that same day with the full detail.

I repeat,

having a trade commissioner that understands the history and complexities of the border would be an advantage for ireland over say the trade commissioner being from southern europe

Why is it?

never assume, I have 99% of them.....I'm done arguing with St Patrick the patron saint of Covid restrictions.. the thread is about should phil resign and i don't think there's any grounds for him to resign based on some people getting their knickers in a twist over it

You ae the one who brought up obeying the restrictions.

No sense in wetting your bed about composing that you got a response

2 months ago and it was smaller than the Garda Horkan funeral, if we are using the big brush most of the cabinet will be down the dole office along with Mary Lou.

2 months ago when the restrictions were tighter? I don't recall seeing Leo posing for selfies at that funeral.....probably because he wasn't there. it's not a big brush it's the behaviour that they have been engaging in on Social media. when they are at fault, nothing to see here yadda yadda yadda

anyone else get the knives out everyone must resign we'd never do that etc

at least most of the rest of the political crowd are able to admit fault

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

He could have been fired several times over from what I've read about him.

Been photographed in doha in 2013 in week the property tax was implemented with his arm around a married aide. He's not the best at optics while on a 15K jolly.

I'd like to see a compelling argument for what he has done in his current post for Ireland or what he will do.

That golf thing just facilitated wealthy nameless donors with access to influence, in Phil's case that is at an EU trade level.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

First Up wrote: »
    There's a bigger picture here, not that many contributors here are interested.

The EU Trade Commissioner has a pivotal role and Ireland stands to gain - or lose - more than most from the terms eventually agreed with the UK.

We are exceptionally fortunate that an Irishman was given the job. If Hogan goes, his replacement won't be from around here.

Hogan brought this on himself and deserves censure. But while enjoying his discomfort, mind you don't cut your own noses off.

There's a bigger picture here.
    Do you think Hogan is fighting for the average Irish worker or vested interests that will enrich both himself and his pals? Im not saying that's the situation but look at him and the party he's spat from. FG and Hogan aren't fighting for the average working tax payer IMO. You can tell by how what they do makes problems worse but they keep on doing what they do. I expect he'll follow the FG ideology of looking after business the bigger the better. If the average working tax payer can glean something off it its a happy coincidence.

Advertisement