Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

Bowie wrote: »
    There's a bigger picture here.
    Do you think Hogan is fighting for the average Irish worker or vested interests that will enrich both himself and his pals? Im not saying that's the situation but look at him and the party he's spat from. FG and Hogan aren't fighting for the average working tax payer IMO. You can see by how what they do makes problems worse but they keep on doing what they do. I expect he'll follow the FG ideology of looking after business the bigger the better. If the average working tax oayer can glean something off it its a happy coincidence.

the average working tax payer mostly works for these businesses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

anyone guessing what time we will have a resignation from phil hogan at. im purely speculating that he will resign. im guessing 5pm today it will be announced on the news that he has gone.

pity padraig flynn isnt around to take his place.

Having looked at the tweets with EU responses. Off with a finger wagging

The matter is closed from their end. He is not going to resign unless there are any further serious revelations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

ec18 wrote: »
    the average working tax payer mostly works for these businesses

Including the ones that are shell companies or playing three card monte with international tax law sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

titan18 wrote: »
    I understand what you're saying, and as someone who's in general pro restrictions for Covid, and has done best to stick to them (as nonsense as some of them are/were imo), I don't see why the government shouldn't be putting everything into place so that this is all above board and clearly documented what's expected of people, and that laws can be put in place, before they go on to get their TV time.

For it to be taking 3/4 days for hotels to get the proper updates that they need is ridiculous imo. Its impossible to go off what Martin is saying in his conferences. He waffles and doesnt go into detail.

I remember back with the roadmap stuff in April/May that when Varadkar announced it, there was stuff on the gov.ie website that same day with the full detail.

One of us is misunderstanding the other.

It looks to me like you are saying that hotels and other business do not need to act on new or alter restrictions until the bureaucracy makes it all "official".

I'm saying that these people don't seem to understand that the virus will spread more in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

TONY Connelly on Von Der Leyens statement.
    https://www.rte.ie/amp/1160880/?__twitter_impression=true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

You still have yet to explain how Hogan is benefit in the position.

I agree with what ec18 said about it:
    Completely true, however having a trade commissioner that understands the history and complexities of the border would be an advantage for ireland over say the trade commissioner being from southern europe

I don't think anyone really believes that having an Irish Commissioner confers no benefit at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

ChikiChiki wrote: »

The matter is closed from their end. He is not going to resign unless there are any further serious revelations.

I wouldn't be so sure about that, Hogan has been asked to provide further clarification.

Phoebas wrote: »

I don't think anyone really believes that having an Irish Commissioner confers no benefit at all.

Explain the benefits please, what were the benefits to Irish farmers when as Agri Commissioner he signed the deal for cheap beef with Brazil.

There's a bigger picture here.
    Do you think Hogan is fighting for the average Irish worker or vested interests that will enrich both himself and his pals? Im not saying that's the situation but look at him and the party he's spat from. FG and Hogan aren't fighting for the average working tax payer IMO. You can tell by how what they do makes problems worse but they keep on doing what they do. I expect he'll follow the FG ideology of looking after business the bigger the better. If the average working tax payer can glean something off it its a happy coincidence.

There is also the effect it will have on people who do want to want to obey the instructions or those who do but are tried and fed up.

"If these people can flaunt the rules then why should the rules apply to me?"

Explain the benefits please, what were the benefits to Irish farmers when as Agri Commissioner he signed the deal for cheap beef with Brazil.

Can't you read the post you quoted? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

One of us is misunderstanding the other.

It looks to me like you are saying that hotels and other business do not need to act on new or alter restrictions until the bureaucracy makes it all "official".

I'm saying that these people don't seem to understand that the virus will spread more in the meantime.

Ya, it's hard to act on what the level of detail Martin gives imo. I'd agree virus will spread more which is why I think the government should be doing the best to provide all the detail that's needed as fast as possible so that everything is above board and businesses can adjust to it. No way do I see it should be taking 3/4 days for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

Including the ones that are shell companies or playing three card monte with international tax law sure.

Yes they will still be employing solicitors, accountants etc to do that.....Just because it might be a small number of people and focused on the letter rather than spirit of tax law doesn't mean it isn't someones job

ChikiChiki wrote: »

I'm surprised there hasn't been something about harassing the staff at the hotel.

These guys must have been really desperate to get on with shifty deals wit the judge and each other.

I did read it. If you can't or won't answer my question that's fine.
    Personally I think alot of the defence of Hogan here is party allegiance and nothing more.

I for one want him gone.

Why? In his eyes he’s done nothing wrong. He only stopped briefly in Kildare enroute to a vital shindig with golfing and political buddy’s, getting a telling off by Gardai for using his mobile phone whilst driving.
    All in a days work. Brass neck are feeling jealous of his ballsiness.

Neither your posts or the ones you quote explain what the benefits are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

All those saying Hogan is vital to Ireland during Brexit trade talks, our own previous continuity govt (FG, his party no-one elses) backed him to run for head of the WTO this year which meant he would be abandoning his indispensable position as EU Trade Commisioner
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/government-backs-hogan-for-top-job-at-wto-39300800.html

That's Hogan, the indispensable Irish patriot who we really, really, really need to fight for little ol' Ireland.
    When he expressed interest, U von der Leyen curtailed his activities massively as he was interested publicly in another role.
    He couldn't even sign documents without deferrring to a person she put in place for this purpose.

So, continue on with the indispensable this, we need him that.
    If nothing, it's good for a laugh!

Can you re-post them? Or just explain again?

I cannot find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I did read it. If you can't or won't answer my question that's fine.
    Personally I think alot of the defence of Hogan here is party allegiance and nothing more.

The peroxide witch has sent out her flying keyboard monkeys,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

This is mad. You can watch back.
    A UK press person is not letting it drop.
    Do the UK want him gone for some reason?

https://audiovisual.ec.europa.eu/en/ebs/live/1?lg=OR

Did not listen (yet) but...as a hot take...

They may believe it (him potentially leaving his job or being removed) will cause a bit of disruption in the workings of the EU which is of benefit to their country while they attempt to extract concessions in trade negotiations.

There will (presumably) be a bit of reshuffling in the EU Commission if he goes with a new Trade commissioner taking over.

Also there was always quite a lot of hatred for the EU in the UK so anything that damages it or embarasses it is seen as a good (see Brexit, surveys of the public opinion of the EU in the UK over many years).

We (Irish) aren't flavour of the month over there either among those of a Brexity persuasion for putting flies in the ointment of the glorious project so someone Irish dirtying their bib [in the EU] and being forced out would be a great story.

• Advertisement

Can you re-post them? Or just explain again?

I cannot find them.

Ha. I'm not playing that game. :rolleyes:

....grabs ball and goes home........

titan18 wrote: »
    Ya, it's hard to act on what the level of detail Martin gives imo. I'd agree virus will spread more which is why I think the government should be doing the best to provide all the detail that's needed as fast as possible so that everything is above board and businesses can adjust to it. No way do I see it should be taking 3/4 days for it.

Yes the bureaucracy should be cut down but this does not mean that people are exempt from the laws of nature.

"Business as usual" until they "have to" is both ridiculous and disgraceful.

I'm not following the restriction because I have to. I'm following them because I don't want anyone I know to get sick or die.

There is no game but it it is the response I expecting.

There are people on the forum who actually understand EU and the commissioners jobs who are willing to explain their position.

You obviously cannot so leave it up to the ones who can.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,342 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

McMurphy wrote: »
    This.

Wasn't Phil contemplating jumping ship to the WTO a few weeks ago?

You really know that the boot licks have run out of road when all they have is "but..but...we need him..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

Why? In his eyes he’s done nothing wrong. He only stopped briefly in Kildare enroute to a vital shindig with golfing and political buddy’s, getting a telling off by Gardai for using his mobile phone whilst driving.
    All in a days work. Brass neck are feeling jealous of his ballsiness.

I guarantee you Maryanne would have got penalty points in the same instance. The 'Do you know who I am' line would not work.

How can people be so subservient to their perceived 'betters'?

If you think Phil only dropped into Kildare to pick up a few papers, you are deluded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

You'd have us back as small farmers with a tiny economy and exporting our people like cattle.

Get real, we live in the real world and I and hundreds of thousands of others wouldn't be able to live in Ireland only for MNCs being here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭jacool

Quote number 1 comes from before the garda news and says
    “He travelled to the golf event in Co Galway directly from Co Kilkenny. Thus, there is no question of him having breached the local lockdown requirements which continue to apply in Co Kildare.”

Quote number 2 comes after the "phone" news
    “On his way from Kilkenny to Clifden, the Commissioner stopped briefly at his apartment in Kildare for the purpose of collecting personal belongings and essential work documents relating to negotiations which continued while he was in Galway,” a spokesperson said. “The lockdown guidelines for Kildare provide for exceptional travel outside the county ‘to travel to work and home again,’” he added.

A few questions
    Where did Phil Hogan go after the Galway event? i.e. Does this quote mean that he had to return to KIldare, and is he there now, in lockdown?
    Also, how come he got out of Kildare 2 days before the lockdown was introduced? Coincidence or what?

If you think Phil only dropped into Kildare to pick up a few papers, you are deluded.
    What was the real purpose of his trip to Kildare? A new twist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,342 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

no he doesn't, he went to a golf dinner. It no way impacts how good he is at his job or his competence in doing it. This is getting ridiculous people resigning for mistakes that aren't related to their portfolios........everyone needs to get a grip it was stupid to do but no one in the country is fully obeying the restrictions.

There are no "mistakes" involved here. Hogan knew exactly what he was doing. He flouted the rules that have been applying to the country for months, because he believes that those rules don't apply to him.

Advertisement