Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

MM was a mess on the radio this morning. But his wording suggests he knows more.

https://www.thejournal.ie/government-apology-phil-hogan-golfgate-5184187-Aug2020/
    However, the Taoiseach explained that it was crucial that the EU Commissioner provided full clarity about his movements leading up to the dinner.

“I think it’s important that he comprehensively and fully comes out and allows himself to be interviewed to give people exactly the sequence of events on what transpired,” he said.

“The public needs absolute assurances that the restrictions that were imposed in Kildare were not breached.

I believe he was staying in Kildare the night before he went to Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Sir Oxman wrote:
    That's Hogan, the indispensable Irish patriot who we really, really, really need to fight for little ol' Ireland.
    Tony EH wrote: »
    You really know that the boot licks have run out of road when all they have is "but..but...we need him..."

Why the need to exaggerate, insult and lie?

Where are the posts from the "bootlickers" calling him an "indispensible Irish patriot"?

I've been reading the thread on and off yesterday and this morning and did not see them.

Him leaving his job would be a "negative" as regards Brexit if it happens (how much of a negative, or whether it would actually matter in the end is unknowable).

Why not accept that fact and carry on rather than trying to dismiss it + calling people who disagree with you "bootlickers" (lovely phrase).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

MM was a mess on the radio this morning. But his wording suggests he knows more.

https://www.thejournal.ie/government-apology-phil-hogan-golfgate-5184187-Aug2020/

I'm only surmising below given the Interview was so bad.

Best case for his equivocation on calling for Hogan's resignation during the interview is that he is waiting for Phil to dig his grave with Ursula by lying to her as well.

He's gambling that by his Minister calling for his resignation that its enough pressure for now. He doesn't want to be seen as the Taoiseach who weakened Brexit trade talks.

He might be waiting for Phil to dig his grave with Ursula by lying to her as well.

Yes and I think if Phil does an interview and relates the Belgium-Kilkenny-Kildare-Galway story, he will be found out.

However, he said that he had left the county two days before tighter lockdown restrictions were reimposed, on August 7, to attend a medical appointment in Dublin. He then went stay with family in County Kilkenny.

However, it was reported this evening that Mr Hogan was stopped by gardaí for using his mobile phone while driving in Kildare on August 17. Mr Hogan was on his way to the golf event in Galway, but had detoured to his Kildare residence to pick up "personal belongings and essential documents", his spokesperson said.

Has anyone in the press checked whether the medical appointment took place? Was it an overnight appointment? When did he reside in KK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

He was stopped for using his mobile phone on the way from Kilkenny to Kildare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Wasn't Hogan tested for Covid 19 aswell at some point? There are likely questions as to whether he was displaying symptoms and supposed to be self isolating and was instead galavanting about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭jacool

jacool wrote: »
    Quote number 1 comes from before the garda news and says
    “He travelled to the golf event in Co Galway directly from Co Kilkenny. Thus, there is no question of him having breached the local lockdown requirements which continue to apply in Co Kildare.”

Quote number 2 comes after the "phone" news
    “On his way from Kilkenny to Clifden, the Commissioner stopped briefly at his apartment in Kildare for the purpose of collecting personal belongings and essential work documents relating to negotiations which continued while he was in Galway,” a spokesperson said. “The lockdown guidelines for Kildare provide for exceptional travel outside the county ‘to travel to work and home again,’” he added.

A few questions
    Where did Phil Hogan go after the Galway event? i.e. Does this quote mean that he had to return to KIldare, and is he there now, in lockdown?
    Also, how come he got out of Kildare 2 days before the lockdown was introduced? Coincidence or what?

I can answer my own question

"It is reported that Hogan has returned to Belgium, where his job with the European Commission is based."

Wonder where he picked up his passport?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

What is that belief based on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

fly_agaric wrote: »
    Why the need to exaggerate, insult and lie?

Where are the posts from the "bootlickers" calling him an "indispensible Irish patriot"?

I've been reading the thread on and off yesterday and this morning and did not see them.

Him leaving his job would be a "negative" as regards Brexit if it happens (how much of a negative, or whether it would actually matter in the end is unknowable).

Why not accept that fact and carry on rather than trying to dismiss it + calling people who disagree with you "bootlickers" (lovely phrase).

You leave out the bit where the actual FG continuity govt backed him to try for another job this year leaving 'a negative', as you term it.

I mean, they are his ex-party comrades, the actual govt at the time, the party who have been involved with Brexit since it began and yet they chose to back him to leave the post.

As for 'indispensible Irish patriot', that is exactly what posters have been building him to be or at least one way of putting it.

I have no comment on another posters 'bootlickers' comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I‘ve heard the rumour that Hogan stayed at his luxury apartment at the K Club the day before going to Galway so presumably he had a round of golf as a warmup for the competition in Galway and had a meal at the K Club clubhouse as he was there.
    It’s not believable that he left essential work documents there that he had to stop off and collect, it sounds just like the kind of language that he can use to frame his being there as acceptable during the lockdown in Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

which is irrelevant because the no more then 50 in one room rule applied

This is why I'm wondering whether the Hotels Federation guy was claiming the bit of retractable paneling down the middle of the room cleared the event with that restriction. By saying it was wrong to withdraw the partition he seems to be displaying the brass neck to imply that it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Phoebas wrote: »
    What was the real purpose of his trip to Kildare? A new twist?

The important papers were kept in a safe place in his golf bag

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

You really know that they have run out of road when all they have is "but..but...we need him..."

Especially when we don't really need him at all.

Isn't Ireland's "Man in Brussels" Tom Hanney?

Commissioners are not supposed to be "representatives of their state" in fact, I could've sworn that they swear a specific oath not to do so. I.E - they are Independent.

IMG-20200824-131112.jpg

https://t.co/qMyVvbfa2j

My guess is that those defending Hogan to the hilt are first and foremost defending him because he's of Fine Gael stock, and for little other reasons.

I couldn't be bothered, but I'm sure a cursory glance over posting histories from those defending him would have history defending Fine Gael through thick and thin regardless.

The ironic thing is, as I already stated Phil was prepared to drop his indispensable role wearing his green jersey in favour of the WTO a wet week ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,342 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

There is NOTHING in Hogan's past to show that this would be the case.

It perfectly encapsulates the type of politico that will bend over backwards to defend someone they favour...

...and yet go out of their way to condemn someone else of a different shade if it suits them.

Your faux upset is endearing.

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    You leave out the bit where the actual FG continuity govt backed him to try for another job this year leaving 'a negative', as you term it.

I mean, they are his ex-party comrades, the actual govt at the time, the party who have been involved with Brexit since it began and yet they chose to back him to leave the post.

I didn't know that, but the fact they are his former party colleagues probably explains them supporting him. Also as regards impact, there may be a difference between his been drummed out in disgrace all of a sudden over this vs a more orderly process of him leaving to take up some other big job.
    I think we'll just have to watch and wait and see who will be celebrating the fact if he is removed/has to resign. That will tell its own tale.
    As for 'indispensible Irish patriot', that is exactly what posters have been building him to be or at least one way of putting it.

It is your own phrase and your "way of putting it", which is an exaggeration or a distortion of what was posted.
    I have no comment on another posters 'bootlickers' comment.

Ya, probably because you agree with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

He is supposedly very important for Brexit negotiations but that didn't stop him trying to put his name in for the World Trade job.

A bit like Noddy Robinson jacking in the Presidency when a better offer came along

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I didn't know that, but the fact they are his former party colleagues probably explains them supporting him. Also as regards impact, there may be a difference between his been drummed out in disgrace all of a sudden over this vs a more orderly process of him leaving to take up some other big job.
    I think we'll just have to watch and wait and see who will be celebrating the fact if he is removed/has to resign. That will tell its own tale.

It is your own phrase and your "way of putting it", which is an exaggeration or a distortion of what was posted.

Ya, probably because ypu agree with it.

Projecting again?
    the refuge of a scoundrel!

Your faux upset is endearing.

Thanks, I don't really get upset over it.
    I've been called a "scoundrel" now too! What a mornings work!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Edgware wrote: »
    The important papers were kept in a safe place in his golf bag

Technically a golf score card is a paper document.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭larva

This is all bad for everyone, politicians shooting themselves in the foot and likewise the country doing same by calling for mass resignations. I dont like PH but same can be said for most elitist politicians but they are where they are because they all have the backing of people voting them into office. nothing good will come if PH loses his role as commissioner, its a major role held by an Irishman, of course he will seek to influence Irish interests where possible, it will be a mockery for all concerned if he is forced out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

McMurphy wrote: »
    Hardly a Eureka moment, it's been discussed on here about 1500 times already.

It's the same way no-one is calling on members of AGS or Charlie Flanagan/Frank Feighan etc to resign over the same guideline's being flouted at Garda Horkans funeral.

Guidelines aren't regulations.

So why are people baying for Hogans blood?

It's nonsense

It's nonsense

One law for them, one law for us.

In his case he didn't even have the decency to resign, he ignored the Taoiseach and Tanaiste and lied multiple times.

He's the personification of them and us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

There is NOTHING in Hogan's past to show that this would be the case.

So, having a former Agricultural Commissioner as trade commissioner isn't beneficial when negotiating trade deals that invariable have huge problems when it comes to agriculture and standards?

Would you prefer a trade commissioner whose expertise might have been in manufacturing industry and a net importer of food who will naturally favour manufacturing because it is what they know best?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

jm08 wrote: »
    So, having a former Agricultural Commissioner as trade commissioner isn't beneficial when negotiating trade deals that invariable have huge problems when it comes to agriculture and standards?

Would you prefer a trade commissioner whose expertise might have been in manufacturing industry and a net importer of food who will naturally favour manufacturing because it is what they know best?

You are giving these people far too much credit.
    Do you really think its PH in a room with a rep from the UK and the US? All three of them battling their wits to get the best trade deal based on their own knowledge and "interests" as well?
    You don't think they have tonnes of "Advisors" and people behind them to guide them?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think now is a great time for PH to be ousted but he is clearly not to be trusted.

Irish Farmers in Particular and EU farmers are not happy with Hogan and are against the Mecosur deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,342 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

There's nothing irreplaceable about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

It's nonsense

Hes changed his story so many times, lie after lie after lie, has to go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Thick ass has no intentions of resigning ...even with the eu pressuring him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

LillySV wrote: »
    Thick ass has no intentions of resigning ...even with the eu pressuring him

UK could boycott any EU interaction if he's still a commissioner, leave him with no choice

Advertisement