Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Irish Farmers in Particular and EU farmers are not happy with Hogan and are against the Mecosur deal.

I'll say it again, Mercosur is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Irish Farmers in Particular and EU farmers are not happy with Hogan and are against the Mecosur deal.

The editor of the Farmers Journal was on RTE yesterday singing his praises and that he should stay to protect Ireland's Interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

larva wrote: »
    This is all bad for everyone, politicians shooting themselves in the foot and likewise the country doing same by calling for mass resignations. I dont like PH but same can be said for most elitist politicians but they are where they are because they all have the backing of people voting them into office. nothing good will come if PH loses his role as commissioner, its a major role held by an Irishman, of course he will seek to influence Irish interests where possible, it will be a mockery for all concerned if he is forced out

Do you think the EU would be happy if Hogan showed that he was inclined towards Irish interests? It's a European position. He acts as a representative of Europe, not Ireland and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭joseywhales

UK could boycott any EU interaction if he's still a commissioner, leave him with no choice

This would never happen, the eu allow an outside jurisdiction decide on its appointments?

The eu could boycott the uk until boris, Priti patel or <insert conservative here> is fired?

It's 100% in the hands of the commission

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭larva

Do you think the EU would be happy if Hogan showed that he was inclined towards Irish interests? It's a European position. He acts as a representative of Europe, not Ireland and rightly so.

Technically Irish interests are EU interests, famous last words but we are all in "this" together. He cant and you would hope he would not do anything thats outside his brief as commissioner but just having an Irish person there in that role alone is a positive thing for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,482 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

A story that Phil Hogan was being lined up for a role in the WHO 2 months. So he isn't that vital?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

A story that Phil Hogan was being lined up for a role in the WHO 2 months. So he isn't that vital?

524109.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I‘ve heard the rumour that Hogan stayed at his luxury apartment at the K Club the day before going to Galway so presumably he had a round of golf as a warmup for the competition in Galway and had a meal at the K Club clubhouse as he was there.
    It’s not believable that he left essential work documents there that he had to stop off and collect, it sounds just like the kind of language that he can use to frame his being there as acceptable during the lockdown in Kildare.

Thing is if he went to Kildare during the localised lockdown then under the regularations he could not leave Kildare again unless it was for essential work reasons. Going to play golf is not an essential reason.

Anyway a caller on Liveline who was in the Station House hotel and saw this shindig going down has said that Judge Pat McCartan was also there. He is retired now but people may remember him as the judge in the Anglo trial where Sean Fitzpatrick walked away with a slap on the wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

Mayne we should leave EU if they do not sack him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I know this country has had Mary Harney and Brian Cowen as health ministers, but that would be really taking the p**s

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

Hogan must go.

He's no morals or respect now from the people of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Thing is if he went to Kildare during the localised lockdown then under the regularations he could not leave Kildare again unless it was for essential work reasons. Going to play golf is not an essential reason.

Anyway a caller on Liveline who was in the Station House hotel and saw this shindig going down has said that Judge Pat McCartan was also there. He is retired now but people may remember him as the judge in the Anglo trial where Sean Fitzpatrick walked away with a slap on the wrist.

I heard Dick Spring was at it but I did not see him on the table list.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,482 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Why wasn't Hogan given penalty points for using the mobile?

It's actually quite sickening when you see the politicians blame a 3rd party organisation (Irish Hotels Federation) for the mistake. The restrictions were fresh in their minds and were simple - No events, just wedding allowed. Simple!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I wonder :eek:

Why wasn't Hogan given penalty points for using the mobile?

Martin said he got a caution.

He is in the elite.

Fine Gael New Politics document from 2011
    Fine Gael’s starting point is simple: political failure lies at the heart of Ireland’s economic collapse. The finger of responsibility must, in the first instance, point directly to the massive policy failures of the recent Fianna-Fail led Governments and their willingness to promote the interests of a so-called “Golden Circle” over the interests of the Citizen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

He wasn't been lined up by the EU who wanted to hold onto him. He was approached by other WTO members to go for it as they thought he would be good dealing with the US.

I bet him he leaves the EU, he will end up as Director General of the WTO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

And there you have it. Cecilia Malmström (Sweden) was the EU Trade Commissioner for that negotiation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,686 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Do the members of the Golden circle get a cool little credit card type ID to flash at the guards

“Don’t be delaying me guard, Golden circle Member here, I’ve a p1ss up in clifden to go to”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Thing is if he went to Kildare during the localised lockdown then under the regularations he could not leave Kildare again unless it was for essential work reasons.

Is this only if he stayed overnight there?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

jm08 wrote: »
    And there you have it. Cecilia Malmström (Sweden) was the EU Trade Commissioner for that negotiation.

So what does he do then? Where was his indispensable influence on this deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

I'll say it again, Mercosur is dead.

Yes but Phil isn't killing it. He wants it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

There is also the effect it will have on people who do want to want to obey the instructions or those who do but are tried and fed up.

"If these people can flaunt the rules then why should the rules apply to me?"

We've a long long history of that. It's more a case of what can you get away with. Why put yourself out for the greater good when even the government politicians aren't arsed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

ec18 wrote: »
    Yes they will still be employing solicitors, accountants etc to do that.....Just because it might be a small number of people and focused on the letter rather than spirit of tax law doesn't mean it isn't someones job

The rental companies/hedge funds etc. likely have admins too, but I'd argue we'd be much better off without them. These entities need some workforce, even the Putin related oil concerns using Ireland to legally launder money, my point is gearing policy to suit these folk instead of maybe supporting homegrown small to medium business, working to support the tax paying worker seems less important to Hogan and chums. I don't see a lot of working for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

I guarantee you Maryanne would have got penalty points in the same instance. The 'Do you know who I am' line would not work.

How can people be so subservient to their perceived 'betters'?

If you think Phil only dropped into Kildare to pick up a few papers, you are deluded.

Does the "do you know who I am" work with the Guards anymore?

Is phone use while driving supposed to lead to penalty points?

It is very likely that they were unaware of who he was or that they didn't care but that they felt in those circumstances that a caution was enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

jacool wrote: »
    Quote number 1 comes from before the garda news and says
    “He travelled to the golf event in Co Galway directly from Co Kilkenny. Thus, there is no question of him having breached the local lockdown requirements which continue to apply in Co Kildare.”

Quote number 2 comes after the "phone" news
    “On his way from Kilkenny to Clifden, the Commissioner stopped briefly at his apartment in Kildare for the purpose of collecting personal belongings and essential work documents relating to negotiations which continued while he was in Galway,” a spokesperson said. “The lockdown guidelines for Kildare provide for exceptional travel outside the county ‘to travel to work and home again,’” he added.

A few questions
    Where did Phil Hogan go after the Galway event? i.e. Does this quote mean that he had to return to KIldare, and is he there now, in lockdown?
    Also, how come he got out of Kildare 2 days before the lockdown was introduced? Coincidence or what?

First time I read it the spokesperson said he went to a relatives house.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Polar101 wrote: »
    I don't know if mr. Phil is going to be forced to resign or not, but I'd place a bet on him losing his MEP seat in the next elections.

That'll come as a massive surprise to him...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Any comment from the RSA on the gardai turning a blind eye?

Advertisement