Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Phoebas wrote: »
    Sean Quinn? Is there anyone who can't be implicated in this?

Half expecting them to say the Monk dropped off a package for Donie at reception

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Phil isn’t in an elected position? would rather have him at the table. I think people fail to realise we don’t replace him with another Irish person. Most here would probably demand his resignation irrespective if he went to the event or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Hogan's heroes are out in force :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Phil isn’t in an elected position? would rather have him at the table. I think people fail to realise we don’t replace him with another Irish person. Most here would probably demand his resignation irrespective if he went to the event or not.

The Commissioner's job regardless of who it is , is to represent the EU not their native country.
    Why do some people have so much trouble understanding this?

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

Hogan's heroes are out in force :D

Hard to put spin on this one though and i sure the man of the hour is realising that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

It would appear von der Leyen is a person of integrity and whats this sorted out properly and not going to dismiss or brush it under the carpet.

Fair play to her

The unelected president decides the fate of an unelected commissioner in the unelected, unaccountable to its citzens EU commission.

He should not be sorted out he should resign.
    He should now be sacked for not resigning

But the The unelected president of the EU will not do this i fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The Belly wrote: »
    Hard to put spin on this one though and i sure the man of the hour is realising that.
    Hopefully his big arse is still aching from Ursula's boot. (after she got a stepladder of course :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

Yurt! wrote: »
    It always astonishes me why Irish voters reward dynasty politicians to this extent. I get it happens somewhat in other democracies, but bar somewhere like India (where the Indian National Congress party is comically blighted by family nepotism), I'd argue Ireland is the developed country most tolerant of this kind of thing.

mick087 wrote: »
    The unelected president decides the fate of an unelected commissioner in the unelected, unaccountable to its citzens EU commission.

Its the lesser of two evils do we sack him and make a point that the Eu has some accountability or do we close ranks and wait it out. In normal time option two would be taken but these are not normal times.

Phoebas wrote: »
    Sean Quinn? Is there anyone who can't be implicated in this?

Enda Kenny and Dick Spring

And Sinn Fein because nobody likes those tossers at a party

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

The Commissioner's job regardless of who it is , is to represent the EU not their native country.

No one has trouble understanding that. But if far rather have someone that has a vested interest no matter how small as a Eu commissioner than a German or a French person.

I’m sure Hogan as regular contact with his friends in the Dail and I’m sure there’s a benefit of having there.

But sure let’s demand he quit from a role we can’t demand him to quit for. Let’s throw away any minor bit of influence we have.

Read Connelly's article though.

Maybe there was time when he'd get away with it it but not with Covid, US trade conflict and Brexit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

No one has trouble understanding that. But if far rather have someone that has a vested interest no matter how small as a Eu commissioner than a German or a French person.

I’m sure Hogan as regular contact with his friends in the Dail and I’m sure there’s a benefit of having there.

But sure let’s demand he quit from a role we can’t demand him to quit for. Let’s throw away any minor bit of influence we have.

Again his job is to represent the EU as a whole , he even swore an oath to that effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Áine Brady while elected in North Kildare had to be the most useless TD the constituency ever had.

MIA for the whole term. At least you'd see Frank O Rourke at the opening of an envelope. Brady wouldn't even bother.

WE don't have influence

Hogan does

And he doesn't care about US

The Belly wrote: »
    Its the lesser of two evils do we sack him and make a point that the Eu has some accountability or do we close ranks and wait it out. In normal time option two would be taken but these are not normal times.

Good point.

I think myself The EU should sack him and then the EU would of taken some sort of step.

Indoing so this could start a change in some real democracy for its EU citizens on its unelected commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's not a sacking offence for Hogan. There's no chance he'll be sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Wouldn't be one for defending the government and this type of carry-on but, Jesus if you were to get an invite to something like that, you'd assume that the organisers had done everything they needed to do to ensure it complied with the restrictions.

Which is fine, I understand that. But, when you get there and see the scenes for yourself did it not enter anyones head to walk away?

The spread of Covid is everyones responsibility. The virus doesn’t give a fiddlers who organised the event or what you were “told”.... typical ah it’ll be grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Tony Connelly with some background to Hogans EU position
    https://www.rte.ie/amp/1161001/?__twitter_impression=true
    As ever, Tony Connelly is clear and concise.

Read Connelly's article though.

Maybe there was time when he'd get away with it it but not with Covid, US trade conflict and Brexit

I hope your right because if your are it will show the seeds of change.
    But i am not holding my breath.

• Advertisement

Good point.

I think myself The EU should sack him and then the EU would of taken some sort of step.

Indoing so this could start a change in some real democracy for its EU citizens on its unelected commission.

They should. EU is on shaky grounds for many other reasons. Bad times are coming and they made a balls of so much including the covid response. Credibility is on the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Who knows what his working relationship with Ursula Von Der Leyen is. You can take it as read that at the very least she wasn't impressed at his attempts to score the big job at the WTO. And Big Phil isn't exactly known for his tactful and graceful treatment of the opposite sex.

She is a powerful individual, has been in the Brussels mix for decades with the firm backing of all the core states and may well assist him on onto his sword.

Phil may have met his Waterloo (which is a mere 30 minutes drive from Hogan's Brussels quarters).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I wouldn't be so sure.

The ECDC only last week were advising Ireland to step up its efforts. And then one of their paymaster's most senior officials flouts multiple agreed protocols...

Not to mention allegedly breaking the law under the Road Traffic Act and, from a leadership point of view, allowed the weight of the Commission to bear down on a small hotel that was in an awkward position.

My mother and her siblings have not seen their sister since before March due to the rules around residential care homes.

Phil Hogan's cheerleaders on here are giving two fingers to decent ordinary people with every post they make. And why wouldn't they? It's hard to beat the blue shirt thug out of a blue shirt b*stard (but it is doable).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

And the primary job of the Irish American lobby in Congress in the States is to represent their district and America. But it doesn't mean its not beneficial to Ireland to have them there as opposed to completely disinterested parties.

An Irish person will simply have more knowledge and understanding of all the various elements that go into an FTA with the UK and the impact specifically they will have on Ireland. It is not about them screwing over the rest of the EU to benefit Ireland, but making sure the focus is on the correct areas. Which is why small countries and Ireland in particular were so keen to keep a permanent commissioner. It is also utterly obvious unless you are being wilfully blind to the realities of the world and people.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

An Ri rua wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure.

The ECDC only last week we're advising Ireland to step up its efforts. And then one of their most senior officials flouts multiple agreed protocols...

Not to mention breaking the law under the Road Traffic Act and, from a leadership point if view, allowed the weight of the Commission to bear down on a small hotel that was in an awkward position.

Let's be realistic here. No one in Europe is going to remotely care about that. They have basically already said its nothing to do with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Latest: Phil says he was told twice by IHF. IHF said otherwise this morning but we're deliberately vague.
    https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1297947433683607552?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Latest: Phil says he was told twice by IHF. IHF said otherwise this morning but we're deliberately vague.
    https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1297947433683607552?s=19

Should be easy enough to verify so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Let's be realistic here. No one in Europe is going to remotely care about that. They have basically already said its nothing to do with them.

Hence 'not to mention'......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Yurt! wrote: »
    Who knows what his working relationship with Ursula Von Der Leyen is. You can take it as read that at the very least she wasn't impressed at his attempts to score the big job at the WTO. And Big Phil isn't exactly known for his tactful and graceful treatment of the opposite sex.

She is a powerful individual, has been in the Brussels mix for decades with the firm backing of all the core states and may well assist him on onto his sword.

Phil may have met his Waterloo (which is a mere 30 minutes drive from Hogan's Brussels quarters).

I am not entirely sure about this, he made an ignorant stupid comment to a lady at (surprise surprise) a golf event.

He is also credited with introducing a gender quota of minimum 30% female candidates in a general election.

I'm label confused here, is he misogynist feminist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,129 ✭✭✭✭elperello

No it doesn't matter.

The poster tried to claim it was not international news. It is.

I could have provided other examples but the fact it has gone as far as China was all I needed.

And I do not need to be educated about China. I've lived and worked there and actually know what it is like from those experiences and from knowing Chinese people but thank you anyway.

What gave you the impression that I was trying to educate you?

I have enough to do educating myself.

This is a discussion forum and I just post my own opinions.

If they don't align with yours no problem.

You just picked a bad example that's all, no big deal.

Advertisement