Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

Soulsun wrote: »
    Philo be gone by cob today....

cob ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

First Up wrote: »
    Martin and Varadkar played it well by responding to public concern but not rushing to judgement. They were rightly critical of the event and all concerned.

That was their job. Hogan's case will be adjudicated by the Commission president based on the facts.

They did rush it. It's exactly how they have been handling everything over the last 60 days.

When the leaders of a country ask someone to consider their position it means the person is gone. It means they have enough information to know the person must resign. Phil gave them the 2 fingers and they look utterly toothless now.
    I am glad they did it but they will very much regret their Saturday statement if he does hang on.

It was a Fianna Fail event in honour of a now deceased Fianna Fail TD who was a staunch ally of Haughey...and yet Fine Gael are getting most of the flak. Leo looks very bad as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

cob ?

Close of business

cob ?

Close of Business. Usually 5pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

cob ?

Close of business

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

mick087 wrote:
    There is no mechanism in place for for unelected EU commissioners or EU president to be got rid of.

You mean the commissioners nominated by the democratically elected sovereign government of member states as prescribed in the EU Treaties?

The same mechanism applies to removing commissioners as appointing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Yes. I can name them here if you like.

Name them to the guards

• Registered Users Posts: 15,129 ✭✭✭✭elperello

mick087 wrote: »
    Yes the unelected commissioner will keep his job.

There is no mechanism in place for for unelected EU commissioners or EU president to be got rid of.

Phil Hogan will keep his job for sure. I wont say i will eat my hat if he don't, but i think its safe

But this episode has opened more eyes on the unelected EU commission.

Tell that to John Dalli.

By the way well done on keeping up the "unelected" word count.

They did rush it. It's exactly how they have been handling everything over the last 60 days.

They would have been criticised more if they hadn't said anything.

LillySV wrote:
    Name them to the guards

I did.

• Advertisement

Soulsun wrote: »
    Close of business

I knew it "by the of the day" but I couldn't figure it out exactly.

I considered was it a typo and you meant "end" and I even thought of "end of business".

I'm thick enough to attend a golf event in Clifden

giphy.gif

You mean the commissioners nominated by the democratically elected sovereign government of member states as prescribed in the EU Treaties?

Not so easy to sack them according to Connelly's article yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

No

I mean the selected, not its elected by its citizens. The unelected EU commission and president

If only that mechanism was in place for its citizens and not only for the selected.

Anyway lets see what the unelected European Commission president – Ursula von der Leyen does.

To late for him to resign she should sack him IMO

No

I mean the selected not its elected by its citizens EU commission and president

If only that mechanism was in place for its citizens and not the selected.

Anyway lets see what the unelected European Commission president – Ursula von der Leyen does.

To late for him to resign she should sack him IMO

I do not understand why so many get the chance to resign rather than just get sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

cob ?

product-image-920551882_1200x1200.jpg?v=1594422872

Corn on the cob, lethal weapon, assassin can do it surreptitiously under the table. Ironic that Big Phil would be offed by a dining implement...

while I think what happened in Clifton is terrible, these people thinking they can do whatever they like when the rest of the country is trying to keep within the guidelines........

Phil Hogan works for the EU, commissioners are supposed to be independant.
    once they are in place their home country doesn't & shouldn't have any say over their job.
    It is entirely up to the EU whether a commissioner should leave their job.

I think many in this country may be way more pissed off about this then anyone in the EU. Personally I don't think it is a big deal to the EU

product-image-920551882_1200x1200.jpg?v=1594422872

Corn on the cob, lethal weapon, assassin can do it surreptitiously under the table. Ironic that Big Phil would be offed by a dining implement...

That is ridiculous.

No assassin would be foolish enough to go after Hogan in the vicinity of food.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Anyone else really want corn on the cob right now? ��

bubblypop wrote: »
    while I think what happened in Clifton is terrible, these people thinking they can do whatever they like when the rest of the country is trying to keep within the guidelines........

Phil Hogan works for the EU, commissioners are supposed to be independant.
    once they are in place their home country doesn't & shouldn't have any say over their job.
    It is entirely up to the EU whether a commissioner should leave their job.

I think many in this country may be way more pissed off about this then anyone in the EU. Personally I don't think it is a big deal to the EU

It is a big deal. That is why his boss is being thorough.

The commissioner are supposed to strictly abide by all restrictions in whatever country they travel too.

Bad enough he did it but then was caught out lying about it. He has made the commission look bad at the worst possible time.

I hope he is not asked to resign. I hope he is sacked.

elperello wrote: »
    Tell that to John Dalli.

By the way well done on keeping up the "unelected" word count.

Unelected Powerful people and there followers hate that word it challenges them to who they are what they about and who they accountable to..

And the fact that its true will always count.

• Advertisement

I do not understand why so many get the chance to resign rather than just get sacked.

In this case i dont think its easy for unelected to sack another unelected.
    He should of resigned now the EU have a big decision sack the commissioner or tell us why he stays.
    Then again the unelected president might not tell us nothing because after all she is not elected and not accountable to its citizens.

mick087 wrote:
    I mean the selected not its elected by its citizens EU commission and president

Ah come on; representative democracy really isn't that hard to understand. Try harder.

You are obviously struggling to grasp the concept of a union of sovereign nations but its all written down in easy to follow language if you bother to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Tony Connelly's saying Phil gave 20 pages to EU. He's blaming IHF for saying event was ok to go ahead.

Tony Connelly's saying Phil gave 20 pages to EU. He's blaming IHF for saying event was ok to go ahead.

I'm assuming Boss Lady is intelligent enough to ask "... and can you not count, Philip?"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,129 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Unelected Powerful people and there followers hate that word it challenges them to who they are what they about and who they accountable to..

And the fact that its true will always count.

You are no doubt sincere and obviously persistent.

If you really want to challenge powerful people and their followers you will find it's a more complicated task than it first appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

I'm just worried in case he ends up working in my local Burger King next week, they've a great bunch of staff in there serving some really nice food..... I just don't want Phil Hogan in there f**king everything up.........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Poor Phil.

Schure its not his fault at all at all at all.

No responsibility for getting there with his own 2 legs, sitting there at the dinner with his own 2 ass cheeks and seeing the breaches of the guidelines with his own 2 eyes.

What a numpty.

Here's an Annex from the 20 page submission to the EU Comm Pres.

Poor Phil.

Schure its not his fault at all at all at all.

No responsibility for getting there with his own 2 legs, sitting there at the dinner with his own 2 ass cheeks and seeing the breaches of the guidelines with his own 2 eyes.

What a numpty.

Here's an Annex from the 20 page submission to the EU Comm Pres.

That is unfair.

Phil said he doesn't live in Ireland fulltime and didn't know the new rules and restrictions....he does not watch the news in Kilkenny or Kildare.....and Dara who discussed the new restrictions the previous day on the RTE news never thought to mention they were in breach by over 75 people.

Dara did tell him that Covid loves to party but Phil did not understand his point.

Phil didn't even know it was a Fianna Fail event really.

Phil doesn't have email either. He had to collect important documents rather than reprint them.

Phil has an old Nokia phone and cannot work the bluetooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

That is unfair.

Phil said he doesn't live in Ireland fulltime and didn't know the new rules and restrictions....he does not watch the news in Kilkenny or Kildare.....and Dara who discussed the new restrictions the previous day on the RTE news never thought to mention they were in breach by over 75 people.

Dara did tell him that Covid loves to party but Phil did not understand his point.

Phil didn't even know it was a Fianna Fail event really.

Phil doesn't have email either. He had to collect important documents rather than reprint them.

Phil has an old Nokia phone and cannot work the bluetooth.

Keeping covid aside for a moment. This case also shows us gardai mates rates is still an issue in the country.

• Advertisement

Keeping covid aside for a moment. This case also shows us gardai mates rates is still an issue in the country.

From all accounts there were a load of Garda cars outside the event.

The new restrictions said there could be no indoor events with more than 6 people.

The only exception was weddings where it remained 50.

The Gardai thought Phil and friends were at a wedding???

Advertisement