Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if he did a tour of the Wild Atlantic Way stopping at every golf course along the way.

That's funny i like that. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

mick087 wrote: »
    Look at all the insults the sneer comments i have had because i don't agree. People wont be fooled by such deflections forever.

You are getting (my) sneer comments because despite it being explained to you, the workings of both representative democracy and the EU continue to elude you.

The Irish electorate voted in a government that nominated Hogan as Ireland's EU Commissioner. That's how our democracy works. The next government we vote in will nominate a candidate of their choosing when it next arises.

If you don't like that system of Irish governance or the EU Treaties under which commissioners are appointed, you can (democratically) campaign to (a) have a general election and vote in a different government (b) campaign (democratically) to change the Irish Constitution under which governments are elected, formed and empowered or (c) campaign (democratically) to hold a referendum to leave the EU.

So you would be better off working the system - as soon as you understand it of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭golfball37

Brian Hayes doesn't work for the state anymore, the Oireachtas Golf Society is due to be disbanded, the retired judge is retired(his cases do not need to be reviewed) and the other judge is being investigated.

I’m uncomfortable with the ceo of the banking federation and his two ‘guests’ having access to powerful people with legislative powers personally. Just because it’s the way business is done in a banana republic doesn’t make it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Well over 10 years ago I was caught speeding twice by the same Guard who left me off twice:

"Sure as we all know each other..."

In my line of work at the time our paths would cross and damn straight he would be expecting a favour from me down the line. No problem with that...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,373 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Beautiful from the Examiner. The patience to hold it until the Commission had absolved him. This is how you do people good and proper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Oh my days.

He ate in the limerick hotel in full view of others.
    He was stopped by a Garda in Kildare.

How the hell does he think that these things won’t come out? And there’s people here saying he is clever?

Probably nobody was paying much heed until the establishment's triple bogey in Clifden

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

By God he certainly gets about!
    He should be renamed Hobo Hogan: he's been everywhere, man...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov4epAJRPMw

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Hard to see him go based on this, unless de paper is still withholding something and he'll hoist himself by his own petard.
    He has some pretty stupid excuses though, blaming the hotels federation and insisting the details of the relevant S.I. weren't supplied until after the dinner.

https://twitter.com/PhilHoganEU/status/1298251592936722434

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭boardise

On the phone item ...does anyone know the following ?

- If a garda issues a caution is that not the end of it ?
    -Do gardai routinely record cautions ?
    -Do we assume that the garda who issued the caution was the person who forwarded it to the Commisioner ? Or did someone else ?
    And why ?
    -Why would the G Commissioner then notify the politicians about such a fairly low level technical non-criminal offence . Surely only serious matters of national security or terrorism etc. would warrant such an action . Have privacy rights been violated here ?
    The whole business looks very puzzling and irregular to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Hurrache wrote: »
    Hard to see him go based on this, unless de paper is still withholding something and he'll hoist himself by his own petard.

4cnnmm.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

boardise wrote: »
    -Why would the G Commissioner then notify the politicians about such a fairly low level technical non-criminal offence . Surely only serious matters of national security or terrorism etc. would warrant such an action . Have privacy rights been violated here ?

Commissioner wouldn't want anything related to the Gardai being dragged into this and just came clean from the outset I imagine.

We had the very same discussion here at lunch trying to work out how and who it came from. The garda in question probably realised the scandal it could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,373 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

He has some pretty stupid excuses though, blaming the hotels federation and insisting the details of the relevant S.I. weren't supplied until after the dinner.

He’s in the clear. The negative test for his medical procedure clears him of the quarantine violation.

Fair play lad, now go and stick it to the Brits.

Good show by the Examiner all the same.

elperello wrote: »
    One vote on it's own is limited in it's power to effect change.

You are of course correct that we don't have a vote to elect EU Commissioners and we have had quite a discussion why that is the case.

Personally I have never identified a cause that I was willing to devote a life long struggle to.

I have spent shorter intensive periods working for change in different areas with varying levels of success.

I'm sorry you feel you were insulted or the victim of sneering comments.

No of course one vote is not enough for change. But after this how many will think about the way and who they are actually allowed to vote for?

Myself also have never been involved in a life long struggle. I was only making a point that some do.

No no need to feel sorry for me :pac: The sneer comments speaks volumes about the person sending such comments. These people do the cause for EU change more good than harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    He’s in the clear. The negative test for his medical procedure clears him of the quarantine violation.

Fair play lad, now go and stick it to the Brits.

Good show by the Examiner all the same.

You should hang about for the public interview with a few tricky questions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

5 August - I was admitted to a Dublin hospital for a medical procedure.
    While in hospital, I tested negative for Covid-19 (www.citizensinformation.ie confirms that a negative test result ends the self-restriction period).

This is how he will get out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Ludikrus

Safe as houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Ah yes..

The old adage has never been so true: it is not the crime but the cover up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I think that draws a line under events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I think that draws a line under events.

Guaranteed there's a journalist out there smiling

First Up wrote: »
    You are getting (my) sneer comments because despite it being explained to you, the workings of both representative democracy and the EU continue to elude you.

The Irish electorate voted in a government that nominated Hogan as Ireland's EU Commissioner. That's how our democracy works. The next government we vote in will nominate a candidate of their choosing when it next arises.

If you don't like that system of Irish governance or the EU Treaties under which commissioners are appointed, you can (democratically) campaign to (a) have a general election and vote in a different government (b) campaign (democratically) to change the Irish Constitution under which governments are elected, formed and empowered or (c) campaign (democratically) to hold a referendum to leave the EU.

So you would be better off working the system - as soon as you understand it of course.

Because you explained to me why the unelected commissioners and the unelected President are in there positions of unelected power don't make it democratically right for its EU citizens.

If you don't agree fair enough express your view but to sneer that's arrogance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭token56

I'm guessing next will be Micheal and Leo saying they are satisfied with the account he has provided, still shouldn't have gone to Galway, etc but it's time to move on.

They definitely seem to have overplayed the hand they thought they had. No one has come out of this looking well, Dara Calleary probably looking the best which is hard to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

the memo outmits where he stayed on the night of August 12th

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

5 August - I was admitted to a Dublin hospital for a medical procedure.
    While in hospital, I tested negative for Covid-19 (www.citizensinformation.ie confirms that a negative test result ends the self-restriction period).

This is how he will get out of it

i thought only 2 negative tests did, or 1 after a certain time of self-isolation, but he had been in hospital a got test during that time he could have been infected in hospital and would need to further self isolate and get another test to clear.

The citizens info guide isn't for hospital tests is it? its imagine you called your doctor then waiting for test then waited for result....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

mick087 wrote: »
    The sneer comments speaks volumes about the person sending such comments. These people do the cause for EU change more good than harm.

Your constant characterisations of the EU as undemocratic or anti-democratic (due to how Commission is selected rather than directly elected) were reasons for my comments if you were also referring to me.

My experience has been people who claim this about the EU do not want to see change (in the sense of improvement), they want destruction or dissolution.
    Inculating the idea in people's minds that the EU is unaccountable, undemocratic, elitist, the enemy "over there" etc etc is a tactic, and they don't actually care about democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

i thought only 2 negative tests did, or 1 after a certain time of self-isolation, but he had been in hospital a got test during that time he could have been infected in hospital and would to further self isolate.
    Citizen's Information doesn't suggest that any number of tests makes you exempt from the 14-day period. Only the requirement to self-isolate is removed; but that's for close contacts and people who are ill, not for travellers.

As far as I can tell, people who have travelled and aren't otherwise exempt have no way to "get out" of the 14 day restriction period.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

If he does stay the only positive is we will still have an Irish person part of the trade negotiations for Brexit.

Only positive form this whole charade.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

It was the turning a blind eye to the phone he was using while driving I was mad at.
    Don't think I would of got off so lightly

Is this revealing of his encounter with AGS going to be a repeat of the Wallace incident and the loss of another commissioner?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ForestFire

If he does stay the only positive is we will still have an Irish person part of the trade negotiations for Brexit.

Only positive form this whole charade.

You don't think he is going to try a screw each and every Irish citizen for questioning him and making him write a 20 page school report for being bold....All while keeping neutral to the EU cause of course

Remember what he said to that Lady about screwing her (Business)...and what he said about Irish water and turning peoples water to a trickle!!!

I don't see him as any friend to the Irish citizens and we would probable be better off without him at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Is this revealing of his encounter with AGS going to be a repeat of the Wallace incident and the loss of another commissioner?
    No, this information came out entirely legally.

• Advertisement

fly_agaric wrote: »
    Your constant characterisations of the EU as undemocratic or anti-democratic (due to how Commission is selected rather than directly elected) were reasons for my comments if you were also referring to me.

My experience has been people who claim this about the EU do not want to see change (in the sense of improvement), they want destruction or dissolution.
    Inculating the idea in people's minds that the EU is unaccountable, undemocratic, elitist, the enemy "over there" etc etc is a tactic, and they don't actually care about democracy.

My experience differs
    I find when you allow people to vote they will loan powers and if not happy take them powers back.
    When you have a selected powerful group its not so easy to take there powers away.

Im sure you believe your idea of democracy is correct but to me it flawed and undemocratic.

Because someone don't agree with you does not mean they want destruction or dissolution.

Glad to see no sneer this time around.

Advertisement