Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

mick087 wrote: »
    Why bring up Nigel Farage?

You suppose is incorrect. Yet another deflection.

It would be more democratic if they was elected, by its citizens and then accountable to its citizens.

Being selected and not elected by its citizens is not democratic.

I bring up Nigel Farage as an obvious example of who you would not want as an EU Commissioner.

How do you think EU Commissioners should be selected?

By the way, do you have an issue as to how the Taoiseach and Government Ministers are selected? (MM by membership of FF, and Leo as Tanaiste by some members of FG).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

fly_agaric wrote:
    I am unsure if EU treaties lay down in detail exactly how govt. of member state must select the Commissioner(s) they send to the EU. I think it is a power/privilege that the member state governments would be quite reluctant to give up/open up more "directly" to their own people.

Member states can pull names out of a hat if they want as long as the nomination comes from the (democratically elected) government.

The nominees are vetted and approved by the (democratically elected) European Parliament before they get their portfolios.

Its a transparent (and impeccably democratic) system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Tony Connelly to interview Phil. Interview on Rte 6pm.

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1298277023010496517?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Hopefully the outline of his movements will be an end to the scandal from his point of view and the baying mob can move onto the judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Balagan1 wrote: »
    At this point, it would have to be dog stealing, before he'd have to go. Myself, I think it's all a distraction to keep us from refusing to let the kids back to school because that whole thing is the real scandal and tragedy going to happen. God help us all!

He had a boot full of Labradoodle puppies to collect at a puppie farm in Kildare that he had to smuggle to a pet shop in Bruges .
    They've decided on herd immunity ,going to use the kids to spread it,

• Advertisement

Hopefully the outline of his movements will be an end to the scandal from his point of view and the baying mob can move onto the judge.

Your ignoring that he should have quarantined.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Big Phil caling in a favour from the blessed and sainted Tony for giving him the inside line all through Brexit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

First Up wrote: »
    Member states can pull names out of a hat if they want as long as the nomination comes from the (democratically elected) government.

The nominees are vetted and approved by the (democratically elected) European Parliament before they get their portfolios.

Its a transparent (and impeccably democratic) system.

Thanks. I expected it is up to the member state government how they manage their process for it (selecting their candidate). I agree with you it is democratic, and have no problem with it as it currently stands. I was trying to engage honestly (maybe a waste of time but then posting at all is a waste of time :pac: and you never know).

Think the whole Hogan drip drip was to distract from the judge.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Is it live or prerecorded. Big difference.

• Advertisement

All questions vetted beforehand?

Limpy wrote: »

No idea but I presume it's recorded as Tony said he's interviewing him this afternoon and it's on Rte tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Interview 6 p.m. R.T.E.

What could possibly go wrong?
    Didnt it work out grand for Brian Lenihan Senior and Bertie?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

Are you suggesting the RTÉ will be nice to him?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭gifted

He wrote the questions

No idea but I presume it's recorded as Tony said he's interviewing him this afternoon and it's on Rte tonight.
    Edgware wrote: »
    Interview 6 p.m. R.T.E.

What could possibly go wrong?
    Didnt it work out grand for Brian Lenihan Senior and Bertie?

I don't think it's live. See above.

Are you suggesting the RTÉ will be nice to him?

Yes I am

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Balagan1

Your ignoring that he should have quarantined.

He said he tested negative for Covid 19 while in the hospital for the medical procedure and believes that the quarantine period ended with the negative test.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Limpy wrote: »

?width=630&version=2123708

LIVE

It'll be the most sensational RTE interview since this one

Yes I am

Why would they do that? Isn't Hogan getting the chop the better story?

• Advertisement

Paul Hosford on Mary Wilson now.

They are talking about his test and quarantining.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

If he was popping along to golfing shindigs and getting flutered with Hayes and Hogan while the Fitzpatrick case was on going I think there is clear conflict of interest and any other case he presided over in the period that concerned any known associates of Hayes or Hogan would be open to appeal.
    Think the judge's are the real story here, whole judiciary being brought into ill repute.
    its hardly clear when you havn't proved it.

Mary Wilson has just said that Tony Connelly's interview will be on her show later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Paul Hosford on Mary Wilson now.

They are talking about his test and quarantining.

Here’s hoping he had a word with Tony Connelly before the interview and has given him a couple of clangers to put to Phil...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭blackwhite

seamus wrote: »
    That's self-isolation, not restriction of movement. These are two different things.

People who have tested postive or who have symptoms are required to self-isolate.

People who are close contacts or have travelled, are required to restrict their movements.

They aren't actually.

We've a farcical situation where they are requested to restrict their movements for 14 days - but the only actual requirement is to fill in a Passenger Locator form, and to update the form if anything changes within the 14 days.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/74440-travelling-to-ireland-from-a-country-that-is-on-the-covid-19-travel-advice-list/

The international travel guidelines have been an area that's been badly handled from day 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

I don't think it's live. See above.

Be very surprised it its live if it was it would be a car crash interview

Mary Wilson has just said that Tony Connelly's interview will be on her show later.
    The Belly wrote: »

It's on Mary Wilson later.

The Belly wrote: »

car crash for Hogan?

Sue wouldn't RTÉ love that - more viewers

• Registered Users Posts: 15,129 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If he was popping along to golfing shindigs and getting flutered with Hayes and Hogan while the Fitzpatrick case was on going I think there is clear conflict of interest and any other case he presided over in the period that concerned any known associates of Hayes or Hogan would be open to appeal.
    Think the judge's are the real story here, whole judiciary being brought into ill repute.

If is the key word here.

You might be on to something if he was, then again maybe he wasn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭jacool

Like the stolen dogs, vetted.

Advertisement