Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Balagan1

It might be coordinated

Hope so!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

The Brexit thing is such a load of nonsense. Hogan needs to go.

Hogan isn't our saviour in trade talks.

These need to go first, then the rest of the 80:
    Hogan
    Woulfe
    Hayes and his Vulture backers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,659 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Balagan1 wrote: »
    You serious?
    Tony EH wrote: »
    Struggling to be "outraged" then. It doesn't even make you the slightest bit angry?

Others have resigned over it BTW.

And while I might agree that the light is being shone firmly on Hogan, that's entirely his own fault.

Resigned from Cabinet is very different from losing their jobs. I personally think its far worse for a minister who was part of the cabinet approving the rules to go on to blazenly break them, but here we are...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,125 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I'm surprised the councillor Paudge Connolly is escaping a lot of the heat for this.
    Considering he was golfing in a non green list country 8 days before he attended the event....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

AdamD wrote: »
    Resigned from Cabinet is very different from losing their jobs. I personally think its far worse for a minister who was part of the cabinet approving the rules to go on to blazenly break them, but here we are...

I think you're just making excuses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Mary Wilson has just hung him.

Her programme called the Hse helpline and it says people returning from a non green list country must quarantine for 14 days regardless of a clear test taken in the meantime.

The advise from Citizens Information is a little bit contradictory.
    Test results

If you have tested negative for COVID-19, you will receive your results by text message. You do not have to self-isolate any longer.

There's maybe a difference between 'self-isolate' and 'quarantine' and he probably should have continued to 'restrict' his movements, but I think the unclear guidance here will allow Uvdl to give him the benefit of the doubt.

gmisk wrote: »
    I'm surprised the councillor Paudge Connolly is escaping a lot of the heat for this.
    Considering he was golfing in a non green list country 8 days before he attended the event....

Only for now. Grealish, Brady also. 80 is a lot to go through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

A part of me wants Phil to stay on. It will be a great reminder to how the FFG elite operate at the next election.

A part of me wants Phil to stay on. It will be a great reminder to how the FFG elite operate at the next election.

That will be soon enough and no one is going to forget this.

Lock down seen to that

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

gmisk wrote: »
    Think of Big Phil as a dam. If he falls the whole lot of them could be washed away very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

The story on Drivetime now is better than the Hogan one

I've never heard of Fore or the Seven Wonders .
    Nice spot down near Castlepollard. ( you might even see Donie Cassidy if its not a windy day)
    Very impressive monastic ruins in Fore. Also check out Tullynally House and Gardens in. Castlepollard. Nice chipper there too. Then drive on for Oldcastle and check out Loughcrew. All part of hidden Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭citycentre

Phoebas wrote: »
    The advise from Citizens Information is a little bit contradictory.

There's maybe a difference between 'self-isolate' and 'quarantine' and he probably should have continued to 'restrict' his movements, but I think the unclear guidance here will allow Uvdl to give him the benefit of the doubt.

What's so hard to comprehend. Self Isolation is when you have symptoms and are isolating yourself from others, as in staying in a room, on your own, keeping away from even family as much as possible. Of course if you get a negative result you'll be able to stop hiding away in a room on your own. There's nothing at all unclear about that.

Now, how is that in any way relevant to someone arriving from outside the country who should be restricting their movements?

citycentre wrote: »
    What's so hard to comprehend. Self Isolation is when you have symptoms and are isolating yourself from others, as in staying in a room, on your own, keeping away from even family as much as possible. Of course if you get a negative result you'll be able to stop hiding away in a room on your own. There's nothing at all unclear about that.

Now, how is that in any way relevant to someone arriving from outside the country who should be restricting their movements?

Is there a substantive difference between 'quarantine' and 'self isolate'? Hardly I'd say, and that that the citizen's information freed him from following the negative test.

He was still under 'advise' to restrict his movements and he may still be in trouble for that, but that is 'advise', not a 'requirement'.

Ultimately this is for uvdl to adjudicate on and I can't see that this bit of the puzzle gives her anywhere near enough cause to remove him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭HBC08

He has to be a gonner now.

Only way he goes is if he resigns himself or is sacked by the EU.Neither of these things are going to happen unfortunately and that's the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

He's the judge who tried Fitzpatrick, two known associates of Fitzpatrick at the do , I think his cases need reviewed .
    Politicians and vulture capitalists should not be meeting with judges in any non judicial setting.

A retired judge on liveline felt the judge should resign for breaking lockdown, but he also defended him for just being at an event with his "friends".
    Being "friends" with these people is perfectly acceptable. They're only playing golf together as friends! Sure what harm!
    According to him, breaking the lockdown was the only issue here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Can someone scrngrb the citizen's information sentence everyone is citing please? All seems way too selective for me.

I went looking on https://www.citizensinformation.ie and all I could see was that Kildare was under extra lockdown measures and afew guidelines about what not to do = Limit indoor social gatherings to 6 people from no more than 3 households.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

AdamD wrote: »
    Really struggling to be outraged by it all. Media are loving it though

Stay simple. It's better that way. Ignorance is bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

You need 2 tests 7 days apart to confirm you don’t have COVID-19. Given that he travelled from a red list country, to a lockdown county and then onwards, it’s very clear that his movements were totally contrary to any guidelines.

Tough call for Von Der Leyden, If she does nothing in public she will lose face and seem like a weak leader. It’s a tough spot to be in, though I still think the bould Phil will ride this one out.

• Advertisement

Seanergy wrote: »
    Can someone scrngrb the citizen's information sentence everyone is citing please? All seems way too selective for me.

I went looking on https://www.citizensinformation.ie and all I could see was that Kildare was under extra lockdown measures and afew guidelines about what not to do = Limit indoor social gatherings to 6 people from no more than 3 households.

13sJybG.png

It's pretty straightforward when taken at face value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

13sJybG.png

It's pretty straightforward when taken at face value.

It's clearly a gap in information between Citizens information and the HSE.

The HSE advice should take priority. Citizens Information should update their incorrect page ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Is there a substantive difference between 'quarantine' and 'self isolate'? Hardly I'd say, and that that the citizen's information freed him from following the negative test.

He was still under 'advise' to restrict his movements and he may still be in trouble for that, but that is 'advise', not a 'requirement'.

Ultimately this is for uvdl to adjudicate on and I can't see that this bit of the puzzle gives her anywhere near enough cause to remove him.

yes there is,

If you receive a negative test case, you still need to isolate for 14 days if your were in close contact with a suspected case....(We have contact tracing, to a degree in Ireland)

If your traveling in from abroad, we have no idea if you where in contact with a suspected case, you boards a plane (Or multiple planes in big Phil's case) and are at much higher risk of contacts that we have no control over in Ireland.

If you travel in from abroad the requirement is to restrict your movement for for 14 days to one place....full stop

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭citycentre

Read the guidance. Self Isolation applies to only those who have symptoms and who need to completely restrict their contact with other people. Just because you are confused about what "self isolation" means doesn't mean the guidance isn't clear.

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/managing-coronavirus-at-home/self-isolation.html

This even clearly makes the distinction between "self isolation" and "restricting your movements".

The guidance only mentions "quarantine" in the context of frequently asked questions - "Do I need to quarantine?". It states clearly that people arriving from a non green list country should "restrict their movements" for 14 days. Nothing about being freed from this request upon a negative test. Indeed it makes the point that "...it can take up to 14 days for the virus to show up in your system after you have been exposed to it".

He hasn't a leg to stand on.

ChikiChiki wrote: »

The HSE advice should take priority. Citizens Information should update their incorrect page ASAP.
    Maybe, but they can't expect citizens to look stuff up from one government source and then make a phone call to another government source to double check it.

citycentre wrote: »
    Read the guidance. Self Isolation applies to only those who have symptoms and who need to completely restrict their contact with other people. Just because you are confused about what "self isolation" means doesn't mean the guidance isn't clear.

The guidance only mentions "quarantine" in the context of frequently asked questions - "Do I need to quarantine?". It states clearly that people arriving from a non green list country should "restrict their movements" for 14 days. Nothing about being freed from this requirement upon a negative test. Indeed it makes the point that "...it can take up to 14 days for the virus to show up in your system after you have been exposed to it".

He hasn't a leg to stand on.

The thing is that it isn't a 'requirement'; it's advise only.
    No doubt that Hogan should have fully followed the advise, but that not going to be enough for uvdl to remove him from office.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Maybe, but they can't expect citizens to look stuff up from one government source and then make a phone call to another government source to double check it.

They are not conflicting, they are about 2 entirely different cases...

1) Citizensinformation.ie - Have symptoms in Ireland, or in close contact with a confirmed case, GP requests a test....

- If test result negative, you must continue to isolate if you where in contact with a close case, or if no close contact you no longer need to isolate.

2) HSE.ie - travel restrictions when entering the country - Restrict movements for 14 day to one location, Fill in the form on where you are going to be for the next 14days (I am sure has the requirements you keep on a leaflet also?)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭blackwhite

ChikiChiki wrote: »

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/b4020-travelling-to-ireland-from-a-country-that-is-not-on-the-covid-19-travel-advice-list/

Gov.ie is the actual regulations.

No mention of a clear test removing the request that you restrict movements.

However - the request to "restrict movements" doesn't actually say you've to stay in the one place all the time, just that you need to submit a new passenger locator form any time that you relocate within the 14 days - something I suspect that Hogan has failed to comply with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Piehead

We need Big Phil to teach the English a lesson. A very good lesson !

Advertisement