Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

The thing is Phil Hogan could probably not work a day again. He’ll have some lump some and pensions available to him.

Nah, he will be the next Gen. Sec. of World Trade Organisation.

What we dislike about Hogan is the perfect kind of profile for negotiating trade deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Fast moving thread, but did anyone ask this question yet?

https://twitter.com/DamianOBrien/status/1298277774776504320?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

The thing is Phil Hogan could probably not work a day again. He’ll have some lump some and pensions available to him.

My hope is that that getting sacked means he doesn't get a pension but no doubt that is secured

Or maybe that his old cronies will turn their back on him now that he is no more use

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    What a witch hunt.

Nobody out at Teri's tower with pitchforks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

A cute hoor like him will never be out of work. He would have a lot of big contacts internationally made over the years. He could be a broker or a political fixer and maybe get into think-tanks or seat on some board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

jm08 wrote: »
    Nah, he will be the next Gen. Sec. of World Trade Organisation.

What we dislike about Hogan is the perfect kind of profile for negotiating trade deals.

I wonder what the Uk Media will think when deals have to be done i can see Lord Haw Haw coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

An Ri rua wrote:
    How do you work that out? Britain is a democracy, as are we. 2 very different outcomes to our general elections based on using and not using PR.

Nothing to do with that.

We have posters here demanding that EU Commissioners be elected by voters across the EU. If that was done, the larger countries would dominate everything, simply by having more voters. Nobody else would be elected.

The EU has a balanced system that allows smaller countries a seat and voice at the table with Germany, Italy etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

God I love this witch-hunt. One of the benefits of having lost my job due to Covid is time for full-blown outrage - Michael Douglas in Falling Down level of despair.

Cans cooling in the fridge for Prime Time!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

elperello wrote: »
    Thanks for the link but does it not refer to arrangements commencing tomorrow August 26th ?

That was just that the passenger locator form was moving online.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

mick087 wrote: »
    Why bring up Nigel Farage?

You suppose is incorrect. Yet another deflection.

It would be more democratic if they was elected, by its citizens and then accountable to its citizens.

Being selected and not elected by its citizens is not democratic.

i dont agree or disagree with you, as i do see your point.
    but i wonder how do you see the fact that ministers in the Usa are not voted for democratically.

overall i guess what you talk about is not so much about the eu, its the reluctance of the member states and the voters of this countries to give too much power away.
    i mean what is the point of a democraticly elected european parliament when it has very little to say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

hurikane wrote: »
    I’ve never seen any previous interviews with Phil but this one left me wondering how was he a politician even to begin with. Seemed clueless, struggled to string sentences together in a coherent way. Lacked intelligence and just looked like a fat cat.

He has never struck me as competent or intelligent in his briefs on Kildare Street and has got things done through having an intimidating persona and presence to a certain extent. You can be sure he is grovelling at the feet of Von Der Leyen whilst at the same time having the underlings in his department work in his favour.

I'm surprised he has got as far as he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Sorolla

A very good interview by the Commissioner.

As I always said he did absolutely nothing wrong and is being unfairly scapegoated for attending an event organized by the oireachtas.

For God sakes - there was even a government minister attending.

If Phil did not go could you imagine the outcry on MWR giving out how he snubbed the people of the West of Ireland.

I recently had contact with a confirmed Covid case and did a voluntary Covid test.
    The doctor told me I was free to do as I pleased and only if the test came back positive was I then to self isolate

What Leo and Michael did to Phil is beyond scandalous and a huge insult to Ursula.

This is like someone working in company A complaining to the CEO of company B and requesting a member of the executive board of company B resign.

Ursula will always stand by her commissioner.

The commissioner has a LTT (line to take) which is carefully stage managed.

He is playing a blinder.

If this is the way we treat returning immigrants then I would suggest the diaspora avoid Éire for the foreseeable future.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Fast moving thread, but did anyone ask this question yet?

https://twitter.com/DamianOBrien/status/1298277774776504320?s=19

Didn't he say it was an intervention procedure?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

The Virus has a 14 day incubation period. You need two clear tests 7 days apart.

He really messed up on Geography in the last few days.

Depends when you have the tests. He was already isolating for 5 or 6 days by the time he did the test.

He broke his quarantine by a day.

tmabr wrote: »
    Rte interviewer to pierce Doherty- in his defense

Sums up rte

I'm pretty sure that the presenter said "he said in his defence"

What is that lady's name? I can never remember it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Sorolla wrote: »

As I always said he did absolutely nothing wrong and is being unfairly scapegoated for attending an event organized by the oireachtas.

If Phil did not go could you imagine the outcry on MWR giving out how he snubbed the people of the West of Ireland.

I recently had contact with a confirmed Covid case and did a voluntary Covid test.
    The doctor told me I was free to do as I pleased and only if the test came back positive was I then to self isolate

What Leo and Michael did to Phil is beyond scandalous and a huge insult to Ursula.

This is like someone working in company A complaining to the CEO of company B and requesting a member of the executive board of company B resign.

The commissioner has a LLT (line to take) which is carefully stage managed.

He is playing a blinder.

If this is the way we treat returning immigrants then I would suggest the diaspora avoid Éire for the foreseeable future.

Like yourself.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

First Up wrote: »
    Nothing to do with that.

We have posters here demanding that EU Commissioners be elected by voters across the EU. If that was done, the larger countries would dominate everything, simply by having more voters. Nobody else would be elected.

The EU has a balanced system that allows smaller countries a seat and voice at the table with Germany, Italy etc.

Nonsence

Each country have 1 commissioner each country vote for there commissioner simple.

If we are all equal in the EU with the same voice why would one country want to dominate another country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

He is playing a blinder.

As we now know Hogan's trip to hospital revealed that he has developed a new medical condition

A.P.H.U.M.A.D.

I imagine it is not an easy condition to live with even for an unctuous swine bag like Hogan

He has my sympathy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

ForestFire wrote: »
    It says if you test negative in another location before coming to Ireland you still need to restrict yourself for 14days. This is to make sure people still isolate and to be clear there are no get out clauses for anyone...

No where does it say anything about a subsequent test in Ireland clearing you.... You cannot just make up your own rules because its not there

Then why make the distinction about it being done elsewhere? They could just say a negative test doesn't remove the requirement.

Its bad advice - it implicitly suggests that a test done in Ireland is a means to avoid the self-isolation requirements. Otherwise they wouldn't have specified that a test done elsewhere doesn't remove the requirement. Happily, its still government advice so you can continue to blame the govt for the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

I'd like to know when the invitations went out for the event in Clifden (and the other golfing games) and when the RSVPs were returned. If prior to the date of Hogan's Covid test, it could show he intended to go regardless of the results.

As others have said, if this medical appointment was pre-arranged, he should have been in the country 14 days beforehand. If it was an emergency, he wouldn't have known he would get a Covid test at all. So which was it?

He is playing a blinder.

EIRE

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

mick087 wrote: »
    Nonsence

Each country have 1 commissioner each country vote for there commissioner simple.

If we are all equal in the EU with the same voice why would one country want to dominate another country.

You realise we still wouldn't be able to remove him under this setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Jizique

That is several times you have brought him up now out of nowhere, J.
    What are the chances of someone who is so anti-EU and Brussels going to work for them?

I saw the comments when it was suggested that Coveney or Varadkar might replace him and they were not flattering

RoYoBo wrote: »
    I'd like to know when the invitations went out for the event in Clifden (and the other golfing games) and when the RSVPs were returned. If prior to the date of Hogan's Covid test, it could show he intended to go regardless of the results.

As others have said, if this medical appointment was pre-arranged, he should have been in the country 14 days beforehand. If it was an emergency, he wouldn't have known he would get a Covid test at all. So which was it?

The second time he mentioned it in the interview he made it sound like it was unexpected (but not an emergency).

If there really was a medical appointment he would cart out the doctors to hang them

jm08 wrote: »
    Except, Michael Martin said the reason why he didn't have to isolate coming back from the EU Summit in Brussels is because he did a test and it was negative.

Look, the Government are all over the shop on rules and regs. I heard the person on from the Hospitality Industry and he said they had not been given details of the new restrictions when that event had taken place. They had been announced ok, but there was no written instruction provided.

The IHF Spx said that when new guidelines are issued they are not effective immediately. The problem occurs because the Taoiseach or Minister usually says "effective immediately".

The IHF said guidelines that are issued need to be then transcribed into meanigful actions so that there members can apply them.

He said it on the Claire Byrne show on Mon morning.

How slow are the members, that they need it in print before they implement the guidelines. Do they not watch the briefings?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    in his briefs on Kildare Street

Now there's an image I'd like to erase from my brain:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

The IHF Spx said that when new guidelines are issued they are not effective immediately. The problem occurs because the Taoiseach or Minister usually says "effective immediately".

The IHF said guidelines that are issued need to be then transcribed into meanigful actions so that there members can apply them.

Which is nonsense. Football and other sports sent out WhatsApps and cancelled trainings immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭embraer170

The optics of that interview are terrible, and Phil should resign.

On the other hand, I am sure he makes a good negotiator. He seems like the type of guy you really don't want to face in a negotiation.

• Advertisement

Now there's an image I'd like to erase from my brain:eek:

Sure how else do you think he got the name Big Phil:pac:

Advertisement