Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Can Phil Hogan not count to 81 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

embraer170 wrote: »
    The optics of that interview are terrible, and Phil should resign.

On the other hand, I am sure he makes a good negotiator. He seems like the type of guy you really don't want to face in a negotiation.

Ho has no attention to detail so how can he be effective in a negotiation.

The US trade deal was a meeting of minds and he was just a figurehead. They both wanted the same thing. That's not the case with Brexit.

He can't bully his way through at that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

The IHF Spx said that when new guidelines are issued they are not effective immediately. The problem occurs because the Taoiseach or Minister usually says "effective immediately".

The IHF said guidelines that are issued need to be then transcribed into meanigful actions so that there members can apply them.

He said it in the Claire Byrne show on Mon morning.

The guidelines and restrictions are effective immediately because we dealing with a virus.

This nonsense they are spouting that people can carry in the meantime is just daft. You do what the health experts say straight away or you are putting health and lives in danger.

The hotel management, IHF and the guest ALL had access to the most recent government announcement

"It doesn't apply" until we get a piece of paper is disgusting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

Tippex wrote: »
    He is picking and choosing what pages to read on the site

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_and_covid19.html#l4a74f

You may be fined up to €2,500 or imprisoned for up to 6 months, or both if you do not:

Fill in and submit the form to a relevant person
    Knowingly provide information that is false or misleading
    Provide further information when requested
    Update your residence details if these change within 14 days of your arrival."

Jaysus, that one's a bit harsh!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Balagan1

EIRE

Take no notice.

Don't go within an asses roar of it, especially not from someone who claims a doctor informed them that after being in contact with an Covid 19 infected person, they have the test and not bother with any isolating at all unless and until they tested positive!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Then why make the distinction about it being done elsewhere? They could just say a negative test doesn't remove the requirement.

Its bad advice - it implicitly suggests that a test done in Ireland is a means to avoid the self-isolation requirements. Otherwise they wouldn't have specified that a test done elsewhere doesn't remove the requirement. Happily, its still government advice so you can continue to blame the govt for the issue.

This really is nonsense...

It also states, it includes (includes is the important bit)....

- Irish citizens coming home

So by your logic, any arrivals that are not Irish citizens do not need to isolate? Is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Sorolla

One could argue the rules do not apply to the commissioner as he is legally a foreign diplomat

Even though he was born in Éire, he is a member of government in another country.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

The social democrats said the same thing about testing negative so didn't have to quarantine

Mr Clear said the family were tested on Tuesday, August 4 with the results coming back negative on Thursday, August 6. After testing negative he said he stopped restricting his movements.

So Hogan wasnt only one who thought that. I've seen others mention it too but non politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

mick087 wrote:
    Each country have 1 commissioner each country vote for there commissioner simple.

Simple but not very smart. We need our nominee to be up to the job and in sync with our interests. We elect a government to take care if business like that; let them get on with it.
    mick087 wrote:
    If we are all equal in the EU with the same voice why would one country want to dominate another country.

If EU decisions are based on EU wide public votes (as some advocate), the bigger countries will dominate.

The EU is a union of sovereign nations represented by the governments chosen by those nations' electorates. It is not (and was never intended to be) a single electoral area.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Sorolla wrote: »
    One could argue the rules do not apply to the commissioner as he is legally a foreign diplomat

Even though he was born in Éire, he is a member of government in another country.
    One could, but One would be a dope.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

He also used the "reasonable people" line his equally obnoxious bedfellow tried to use when the public didn't warm to his black and tan state commemoration being rammed down their throats, when using the citizens advice excuse.

IE - he may have fcuked up for consulting or rather than the HSE site, but if you don't swallow that line - you're "unreasonable" apparently.

titan18 wrote: »
    The social democrats said the same thing about testing negative so didn't have to quarantine

Mr Clear said the family were tested on Tuesday, August 4 with the results coming back negative on Thursday, August 6. After testing negative he said he stopped restricting his movements.

So Hogan wasnt only one who thought that. I've seen others mention it too but non politicians.

Did he not know you need two clear tests 7 days apart before your confirmed free of it. Did his doctors not tell him?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,081 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

I have to be honest, the more I think about it the more I realise Michael Martin did exactly the same ref the restricted movements on coming back from Brussels. He said (IIRC?) he had a test on day 1 and day 5 of returning and used to justify his movements).

Phil seemingly had a test on day 6 or 7 of his return.
    I'm not seeing the difference there.

I have to be honest, the more I think about it the more I realise Michael Martin did exactly the same ref the restricted movements on coming back from Brussels. He said (IIRC?) he had a test on day 1 and day 5 of returning and used to justify his movements).

Yes I agree with you.
    The Teashop is in a similar predicament.
    I do hearby call upon the right honorable gentleman from Cork to resign

Hear hear

Do you know what a virus is?

Do you know can happen when person does not concentrate when are driving?

Some one mentioned earlier that all this story was missing was a "love interest".

Seems it already has one.

Do you mean MM got tested twice or are you referring to MM's comments regarding PH.

Yes I agree with you.
    The Teashop is in a similar predicament.
    I do hearby call upon the right honorable gentleman from Cork to resign

Hear hear

Are you in Brussels now or was that doctor able to remove you?

I assume the surgery was successful - Hogan would be some man if he could play golf that many times and travel to that many places in the country with you attached to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭torrevieja

It reminds me of that Dirt on the Glass no matter how many times u try to Remove it the S??t just stays there.

Phil the Water Man, Kindly Shut the Door like a Good Lad.

Why are only 3 attendees being scapegoated for attending the event in Clifden - DC, SoR, and the commissioner.

Why do RTÉ not interview all 82 attendees ?

Just asking for a friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

jm08 wrote: »
    I'm afraid you are not reading it correctly. It says people who tested negative in another location.

Phil Hogan did his test in Ireland during his hospital stay.

Seemingly, one of his attributes is that he usually on top of the detail of his brief. He has a degree in Economics and Geography from UCC.

https://twitter.com/citizensinfo/status/1298296888723218433?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

I for one want him gone.

I sent emails on 20 August to Ursula von der Leyen, Mick Wallace and Deirdre Clune.
    One response ftom Deirdre Clune's office ... thanked me for my contact and said it would be brought to her attention.
    Ursula von der Leyen's e mail was read.
    Mick Wallace ... nothing.
    Luke Flanagan made a statement but no other Irish MEPs making statements.
    Could non Irish MEPs make their opinions known about the unaccountability of the European Commission. They are un-elected and deciding on European policy unoppossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Can we really drive Phil Hogan out of a job because of an arcane difference between people resident here who test Covid negative and visitors who test Covid negative while they are here??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Can we really drive Phil Hogan out of a job because of an arcane difference between people resident here who test Covid negative and visitors who test Covid negative while they are here??

That is only one thing on a list

• Registered Users Posts: 10,081 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Do you mean MM got tested twice or are you referring to MM's comments regarding PH.

MM said he was going to be tested on the day he came back from Brussels and then again about 4/5 days later.
    He used that as the reason for why he didn't have to restrict his movements on return from the European Council meeting.
    In fact I think he was in the Dail the very day he came back.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Why are MEPs silent on this issue. It runs to the heart of who REALLY governs the EU. MEPs are just wallpaper. The EU commission are unelected and unaccountable to EU citizens. It's time for change.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

MM said he was going to be tested on the day he came back from Brussels and then again about 4/5 days later.
    He used that as the reason for why he didn't have to restrict his movements on return from the European Council meeting.
    In fact I think he was in the Dail the very day he came back.

Is he next to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Did he not know you need two clear tests 7 days apart before your confirmed free of it. Did his doctors not tell him?

Wasn't said like that in news article anyway.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/social-democrats-councillor-hugely-regrets-going-on-holiday-to-spain-for-two-weeks-39459303.html

So sounds like had one test 2 days after returning and stopped restricting movements, and Soc Dems spokeperson considered it a non resigning matter too.

• Advertisement

Why are only 3 attendees being scapegoated for attending the event in Clifden - DC, SoR, and the commissioner.

Why do RTÉ not interview all 82 attendees ?

Just asking for a friend.

One at a time.

Susan Denham is to do a report on Wolfe and that should remove him and the other judge who attended.

Once Hogan goes Grealish, Brady etc and the Councillors will have to resign also.

Then it's Hayes and the Vultures. Once the digging starts here who knows what will turn up.

Advertisement