Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

I'm hearing Christopher Nolan and Warner Bros. are cancelling the release of Tenet tomorrow

They said it can't compete against Phil Hogan's reality bending, time inverting, genre jumping thrill ride around Ireland and Brussels

One at a time.

Susan Denham is to do a report on Wolfe and that should remove him and the other judge who attended.

Once Hogan goes Grealish, Brady etc and the Councillors will have to resign also.

Then it's Hayes and the Vultures. Once the digging starts here who knows what will turn up.

Two judges?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

"I don't accept that." Is there a worse sentence that a politician can utter?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Scoondal wrote: »
    Why are MEPs silent on this issue. It runs to the heart of who REALLY governs the EU. MEPs are just wallpaper. The EU commission are unelected and unaccountable to EU citizens. It's time for change.

Some of them have broken quarantine rules themselves in effect, unless it's excused for their role. McGuinness has been over and back between Brussels, as has Kelleher. Chances are others have too so calling Hogan out might put themselves in hot water.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,081 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Phoebas wrote: »
    Is he next to go?

It kind of came up at the time (one rule for them another for the others) especially because I think it was the day the first green list was announced.

People were saying 'why can't I get a test when I come back from abroad'.

It was brushed off by MM saying he ahd essential work to do etc.

Just saying MM might be better keeping it shut or else people will see him as being Hypocritical. Arguably Phil's job is more essential than Michael's

• Advertisement

It kind of came up at the time (one rule for them another for the others) especially because I think it was the day the first green list was announced.

People were saying 'why can't I get a test when I come back from abroad'.

It was brushed off by MM saying he ahd essential work to do etc.

Just saying MM might be better keeping it shut or else people will see him as being Hypocritical. Arguably Phil's job is more essential than Michael's

More essential to who?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

That is only one thing on a list

The others mostly being party politics and begrudgery.

Hogan will not be "driven out of his job". The president of the Commission will examine the facts, consider the options and decide what's in the best interests of the EU and fairness.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

ForestFire wrote: »
    This really is nonsense...

It also states, it includes (includes is the important bit)....

- Irish citizens coming home

So by your logic, any arrivals that are not Irish citizens do not need to isolate? Is that right?

No - Irish citizens returning home already have rights over and above non Irish citizens - i.e. they can't be refused entry - and its an important distinction to make. But if you make a statement that it includes those who have had tests done elsewhere then you are implying that tests done in Ireland have a different impact. Otherwise why bother with specifying that they are done elsewhere.

Its badly written advice and considering it is noted by citizens info that those who have a negative test no longer need to self-isolate then it is hardly a massive leap of logic to think you would not be required to do so after travelling in with a negative test in Ireland.

The advice, somewhat understandably given the speed with which it is updated, is not very clear.

He should never have gone to the dinner and he has acted pretty questionably all round. But it is ridiculous to look at the various advices published and think that you couldn't reasonably judge that a negative test in Ireland would absolve you of the need to further isolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Can we really drive Phil Hogan out of a job because of an arcane difference between people resident here who test Covid negative and visitors who test Covid negative while they are here??

Yes we can.
    This is now about the unelected European Commission.
    Mr Hogan has not been sacked and public attention is now on the most powerful EU institution.. Therefore, questions should be asked about who elected the entire European Commission.
    The longer Mr Hogan stays in his position, the more questions will be asked about this powerful institution in the EU. The EU parliament is sub serviant to the wishes of the EU "Commission".
    EU citizens have no democratic mandate in the EU. This Hogan issue has simply highlighted the total lack of answerability to EU citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Two judges?

Presume the other one is Pat McArtan, who is a retired judge, so I'm not sure what can be done about him.

• Advertisement

More essential to who?

Is trade minister for 446m people not more important than Prime minister of 4.9m in the grand scheme of things?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Sorolla

First Up wrote: »

Hogan will not be "driven out of his job". The president of the Commission will examine the facts, consider the options and decide what's in the best interests of the EU and fairness.

Why should Uschi get rid of the best horse in the stable?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Is trade minister for 446m people not more important than Prime minister of 4.9m in the grand scheme of things?

It all comes down to trust and integrity. The numbers they represent do not matter HOW they represent them does......

Sorolla wrote: »
    Why should Uschi get rid of the best horse in the stable?

I think Big Phil is too good for us actually. Much better than that incompetent fool MM and his cronies.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Scoondal wrote:
    Yes we can. This is now about the unelected European Commission.....

See what I mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Sorolla

Scoondal wrote: »
    Yes we can.
    This is now about the unelected European Commission.
    Mr Hogan has not been sacked and public attention is now on the most powerful EU institution.. Therefore, questions should be asked about who elected the entire European Commission.
    The longer Mr Hogan stays in his position, the more questions will be asked about this powerful institution in the EU. The EU parliament is sub serviant to the wishes of the EU "Commission".
    EU citizens have no democratic mandate in the EU. This Hogan issue has simply highlighted the total lack of answerability to EU citizens.

We have an elected government.
    This elected government has executive power to act in the name of the subjects of Éire

This elected government nominates a candidate for the position of EU commissioner.

This candidate has then to be ratified by the EU parliament - the members of the EU parliament are elected representatives elected by the electorate

This is an example of democracy at its finest

I think Big Phil is too good for us actually. Much better than that incompetent fool MM and his cronies.

He’s not for us, he’s over in Europe getting a lovely big pay packet. He’s for himself, make no mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Two judges?

Seamus Woulfe(Supreme Court) and Pat McCartan (Circuit Court).

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40035893.html

First Up wrote: »

I have no political party allegiances. I have no begrudgery - is that about water charges? If I had been living her at the time I would have paid with out questions I think all the people that complained about and protested about it are knackers.

Everyone those guests needs to be taught a severe lesson. The clubs and hotels and IHF need to be penalised. The management needs to be sacked.

And they need to made to pay a hefty some to the staff of each establishment for putting those people at risk - all of whom probably had to work and keep shut about it in fear of their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

EU Commission: We hereby remove Phil Hogan of his position

Big Phil: I don't accept that

• Advertisement

screamer wrote: »
    It all comes down to trust and integrity. The numbers they represent do not matter HOW they represent them does......

But MM did the same thing and everyone said it was grand.
    A man like Hogan should be prioritised for testing like the Taoiseach to allow him not to have to restrict his movements given his job.

Seamus Woulfe(Supreme Court) and Pat McCartan (Circuit Court).

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40035893.html

I did see the name but he was lost in the pile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Sorolla wrote: »
    We have an elected government.
    This elected government has executive power to act in the name of the subjects of Éire

This elected government nominates a candidate for the position of EU commissioner.

This candidate has then to be ratified by the EU parliament - the members of the EU parliament are elected representatives elected by the electorate

This is an example of democracy at its finest

What is the democratic process of removing him from the position?

But MM did the same thing and everyone said it was grand.
    A man like Hogan should be prioritised for testing like the Taoiseach to allow him not to have to restrict his movements given his job.

But his trip here was more leisure than work, and it’s the lies and fudged truth that really destroys the trust here. I’m no fan of MM either BTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Anyone notice when he strolled into the room with no mask, he leaned towards Tony who was wearing a mask as if to shake his hand and then Tony stepped back. He then took out a mask out of his pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Phil hogan should be put before no one for testing.

He got his job in Brussels through sheer cronyism and is 'just' a politician.
    Neither he nor Michael Martin or any of their ilk should be put in front of any citizen in this country that listened to these Muppets and followed the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,110 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Presume the other one is Pat McArtan, who is a retired judge, so I'm not sure what can be done about him.
    He isn't retired, he is still a circuit court judge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Someone who does an absolutely ****e job at implementing a water utility company and becomes so toxic that he is exported out of our political landscape is too good for us....

He is in his bollix. Useless. Don't let the position he holds fool you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

What is the democratic process of removing him from the position?

Boards.ie troll + WUM accounts post up a load of memes and jokes + Phil's job at the EU disappears in a puff of (il)logic?
    edit: have to admit some of this thread has been quite funny!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Podge_irl wrote: »
    No - Irish citizens returning home already have rights over and above non Irish citizens - i.e. they can't be refused entry - and its an important distinction to make. But if you make a statement that it includes those who have had tests done elsewhere then you are implying that tests done in Ireland have a different impact. Otherwise why bother with specifying that they are done elsewhere.

Its badly written advice and considering it is noted by citizens info that those who have a negative test no longer need to self-isolate then it is hardly a massive leap of logic to think you would not be required to do so after travelling in with a negative test in Ireland.

The advice, somewhat understandably given the speed with which it is updated, is not very clear.

He should never have gone to the dinner and he has acted pretty questionably all round. But it is ridiculous to look at the various advices published and think that you couldn't reasonably judge that a negative test in Ireland would absolve you of the need to further isolate.

Again your dragging irrelevant information into the argument.

This guidlines are nothing to do with the right of entry of people into Ireland...... They are simple to clarify you must restrict yourself even in case of the 3 noted clarificatiins, To make it clear.... That's all.

No where does it say when you do not have to restrict anymore, or anything about your rights to enter the country., they are just clarfing there are no exceptions, just in case you thought being Irish was an exception....

Remember this is only 1 thing in a big long list of things Phil has done wrong, not excepted responsibility, shifting the blame to others and lieing about it all.... At some point there that straw that is finally broken, but there has been a lot more that proceeded it...

And there are more people that should follow him...

Advertisement