Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

The 3 amigos have released a joint statement.

Particularly surprised at Leo. The Commissioner must have riled him up in their meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

gmisk wrote: »
    Not true he is still a circuit court judge anywhere I have read

Wrong. He resigned from the Circuit Court in 2016.

The current list of Circuit Court Judges does not list his name

https://aji.ie/supports/our-members/judges-of-the-circuit-court/

And

https://www.courts.ie/judges

• Registered Users Posts: 10,081 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Phil Hogan IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN OTHER IRISH PEOPLE you SAID

He's more important than our national politicians IMO.

Everyone he has worked with has said he is very competent at his job, including his political enemies.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

So the three party leaders re-enter the fray with a two footed tackle. Hogan is toast now, von der Leyen has little option but to sack him.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    The 3 amigos have released a joint statement.

Particularly surprised at Leo. The Commissioner must have ruled him up in their meeting.

Nah, Leo (as always) waited to see what way the wind was blowing, then thew in as though it was his own idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Most boring story of the year.

Yet here you are telling us how boring it is. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭tigger123

Any link to it? I missed the early news

They said his explanation doesn't add up, and the Commission need to let him go.

An unless the Commission take action on this, they've no moral authority on Covid (or words to that effect).

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Eamon Ryan.

Don't worry.. it's very easy to forget he's actually one of the leaders of this Government!

Perhaps but I'm terrible with acronyms

I had an embossing encounter with Close Of Business earlier on this very thread

• Registered Users Posts: 15,129 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Not true he is still a circuit court judge anywhere I have read

Very true, try this link.

https://www.irishlegal.com/article/judge-patrick-mccartan-steps-down-from-circuit-court

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Sorolla

If this government is not careful Ireland will lose a very important commissioner.

As I mentioned in a previous post it is of upmost importance that the leaders of the government apologize to the Commissioner immediately either in person in Brussels or by way of a Special Broadcast on RTÉ

The apology should read as follows:

The Press, Radio and Television coverage of events so far have been very unfair and we are so sorry.

You were the guest and now we are pressing you to resign.

We are so sorry.

We are very proud that the commission has such a very distinguished and worthy representative at this great Council and we know that your work in Brussels will shed further lustre on the great achievements of your good self for the EU and Éire.

Once again we are sorry and ask for you forgiveness.

If this doesn’t do the trick then maybe we can get the Pope to intervene on our behalf

• Advertisement

Sorolla wrote: »
    If this government is not careful Ireland will lose a very important commissioner.

As I mentioned in a previous post it is of upmost importance that the leaders of the government apologize to the Commissioner immediately either in person in Brussels or by way of a Special Broadcast on RTÉ

The Press, Radio and Television coverage of events so far have been very unfair and we are so sorry.

We are so sorry.

We are very proud that the commission has such a very distinguished and worthy representative at this great Council and we know that your work in Brussels will shed further lustre on the great achievements of your good self for the EU and Éire.

If this doesn’t do the trick then maybe we can get the Pope to intervene on our behalf

Sorry dude. It's still not funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

We are so sorry.

2/10

Some cheek from Michael Martin after doing the same thing a little less than a month ago.

Perhaps but I'm terrible with acronyms

I had an embossing encounter with Close Of Business earlier on this very thread

E.(Eamon)L. (Leo)M. (Michael) ELM, I like the acronym. Refers to a tree, we get planks from trees.

tigger123 wrote: »
    They said his explanation doesn't add up, and the Commission need to let him go.

An unless the Commission take action on this, they've no moral authority on Covid (or words to that effect).

Missed it too

So the Taoiseach hasn't just been giving out for optics?

He really wants Hogan to be punished?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

elperello wrote: »
    Apologies, but he is still working for the government by the looks of it no?..cosy wee number for him being paid well I would think for work like the stardust inquest

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/PR17000088

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

We are so sorry.

Europe will lose a commissioner, Ireland have nothing to lose as PH in that role means we’ve nothing to gain either......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

He's more important than our national politicians IMO.

Everyone he has worked with has said he is very competent at his job, including his political enemies.

The head of the European Milk Board described Hogan as incompetent and asked Juncker to remove him a few years back. At least that’s what Ming Flanagan reckoned this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Sorolla

Good night.
    God bless.

You’ve been a great audience

Some cheek from Michael Martin a little less than a month after doing the same thing.

Have you got a flash light or a lamp?

Or is it just well lit there?

At least you have a lot of like-minded company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

MM, LV and ER have just thrown their final roll of the dice there with a statement......

Thats about right, don`t think they can go much further as its technically outside their juristiction.
    This whole issue has now become acutely embarassing for the EU commission and more importantly for us, it simply has to be put to bed tonight.
    There is no option but for him to go. I don`t think Ursula VDL will sack him, all the EU power will be brought to bear untill he resigns which he has to
    Statement timed to perfection, 2 minutes into the main 9 oclock news, maximum effect

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭tigger123

Missed it too

Yep, they want shut of him altogether. That statement is pretty strong.

Plus, they're right. If one of their own is doing a golf tour of a country followed by a dinner and raffle during a pandemic, they can't be in a position to provide Leadership to the wider community. It makes a mockery of what the EU and its Member States are trying to achieve.

Plus, Hogan's been lying about his movements. So there's that too.

He's toast.

Missed it too

MM needs to regain control of the situation and is hoping that if Hogan does get removed (which isn't up to him or anyone else in this country), it'll help dampen the simmering anger and discontent among those who he has been lecturing to for weeks now, while some of his political colleagues and the well-connected did what they like over the last week.

MM is probably glad the main focus has shifted to Hogan so that it won't cost him any more TDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Some cheek from Michael Martin a little less than a month after doing the same thing.

I don't know the ins a d outs of MM travel and maybe there are issues to be looked at.... BUT

He did not try to cover any of his story...
    He did not lay blame with everyone else...
    He did not travel in an out of the 3 lock down counties...
    He did not travel to a non green country for golf...
    He did not break the 50people or 6 people restrictions in place... For a golf doo....
    He did not drive while on the phone (or at least not caught)..
    He did not smirk and laugh his way through an interview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Good night.
    God bless.

You’ve been a great audience

Get a good night's sleep as you'll be weeping into your cornflakes.

In light of the statement from ELM, whilst the Irish government has no say in PH future as Commissioner. VDL expects her Commissioners to respect local laws and regulations. Soz Phil but it looks like you are toast, still gives him a chance to canvass for the WTO job without the conflict of interest perception.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,152 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Whatever way this blows,this has been some week’s entertainment....
    Thank you all for your service(as Mr.Duffy would say)...top notch fayre....!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

EgStgDnXkA0t0YV?format=jpg&name=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 15,129 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Apologies, but he is still working for the government by the looks of it no?..cosy wee number for him being paid well I would think for work like the stardust inquest

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/PR17000088

That's ok.
    The Stardust Inquiry he did was delivered in 2017 and I'm not aware of any other gigs.

I expect he is involved in the Oireachtas Golf Society by dint of his time as a TD.

• Advertisement

ForestFire wrote: »
    I don't know the ins a d outs of MM travel and maybe there are issues to be looked at.... BUT

He did not travel to a non green country for golf...

What relevance does this have?

By Non-green list country do you mean Ireland?

Advertisement