Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

tigger123 wrote: »
    Yep, they want shut of him altogether. That statement is pretty strong.

Plus, they're right. If one of their own is doing a golf tour of a country followed by a dinner and raffle during a pandemic, they can't be in a position to provide Leadership to the wider community. It makes a mockery of what the EU and its Member States are trying to achieve.

Plus, Hogan's been lying about his movements. So there's that too.

He's toast.

I'm not suggesting that Martin or Varadkar wouldn't be personally upset like the rest of us but with the fact that he couldn't do anything to punish Hogan I did think that his statements were mostly optics - criticising as best he could but basically saying that was all he can do.

So I'm very impressed with them pushing this regardless of the motivation. People have suffered during the lockdown and they are not brushing that aside.

Fair Play.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

elperello wrote: »
    That's ok.
    The Stardust Inquiry he did was delivered in 2017 and I'm not aware of any other gigs.

I expect he is involved in the Oireachtas Golf Society by dint of his time as a TD.

I remember talking with a former work colleague and ex-Workers Party/DL activist about the murky pasts of some of the party's founders. He said he was pretty sure McCartan didn't have any paramilitary background "unless they were holding the army council meetings in the yacht club.":p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

ForestFire wrote: »
    Again your dragging irrelevant information into the argument.

Its not irrelevant. Legally speaking, once you start denominating lists that something specifically applies to, you are leaving yourself open to interpretation of what it then doesn't apply to. They would have been better off simply stating it applies to everybody with no exceptions or starting that a negative test anywhere does not remove the requirement. But adding specifics and specifically mentioning tests done abroad they are introducing unnecessary confusion.

I am ambivalent on the idea of Hogan resigning. I don't think he will, I don't think he will be fired but I am not going to be upset if it happens. I think he is fundamentally different from members of govt who had no reasonable choice but to resign their posts. I also think that the EU Commission rightly tries to avoid member state political strife and are justified in trying to avoid local political pressure taking down a commissioner. Hogan should never have gone to the event, but people are reaching to punish him for every conceivable thing on the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Eamon Ryan.

Don't worry.. it's very easy to forget he's actually one of the leaders of this Government!

You know what thats true i had totaly forgot about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Question is, who do we replace him with? Europe, Brexit, US trade agreements?
    Who's our next best spoofing golfer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

God I love this witch-hunt. One of the benefits of having lost my job due to Covid is time for full-blown outrage - Michael Douglas in Falling Down level of despair.

Cans cooling in the fridge for Prime Time!!!!

It’s more of a fox hunt now than a witch hunt and hounds are tiring and losing sight of old Reynard.
    Hel be gone to ground soon and they shall call it quits for the day, allowing old trickle to fight another day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

iceage wrote: »

Mairead McGuinness, although not sure if she plays golf.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Whoever replaces him won't be within an arse's roar of the trade post anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Big Phil, master negotiator is explaining again...
    https://twitter.com/PhilHoganEU/status/1298358481934864385?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭tigger123

The Commission will replace him with someone else, and we won't have a say in it.

Whoever we send to replace Hogan will most probably fill a different role in the Commission.

• Advertisement

WE don't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭redarmy

Phil Hogan
    @PhilHoganEU
    · 4m
    Regarding my earlier interview with @tonyconnelly, just to clarify: I never said that I don’t accept the HSE advice, I was taking issue at the proposition put to me in the interview. At all times, I acted in good faith on the basis of the information available to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

tigger123 wrote: »
    They said his explanation doesn't add up, and the Commission need to let him go.

An unless the Commission take action on this, they've no moral authority on Covid (or words to that effect).

Must be starting to feel a bit like this for Phil

S02E11-ptqwLITk-subtitled.jpg

hlMzt2LSvcph.gif

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Big Phil, master negotiator is explaining again...
    https://twitter.com/PhilHoganEU/status/1298358481934864385?s=20

What's that , four explanations now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

29 Attendees current status. Mods or boardsies can update this or sticky it.

I have to say Sean O Rourke doesn't look good in this company

Judges
    Supreme Court judge + former AG Seamus Woulfe,
    Circuit Court judge Pat McCartan,

Commissioners and MEPs (current and former)
    EU Commissioner Phil Hogan
    Brian Hayes (Former MEP)

Ambassadors
    Moroccan Ambassador

Ministers
    Dara Calleary - Resigned from Ministry

TDs(current and former)
    Independent TD Noel Grealish
    Frank Fahey(Former)
    Noel Dempsey(Former)
    Gerry Brady(Former)
    Áine Brady(Former) currently ThirdAge Ireland
    Brian Hayes(Former) currently BPFI
    Gerry Reynolds(Former)
    Dr Michael Harty(Former) and Oireachtas Health

Civil Servants
    John Flaherty Oireachtas Health+Safety - resigned

Senators(current+former)
    Paul Daly,
    Aidan Davitt,
    Niall Blaney,
    Paddy Burke,
    John Cummins and
    Jerry Buttimer - Resigned from Oireachtas
    Donie Cassidy
    Imelda Henry(Former)
    Cait Keane(Former)
    Lorraine Higgins(Former)

Councillors
    Paudge Connolly Monaghan
    Martin Brett (Killkenny) - Resigned
    Enda McGlion(Longford) - Resigned

Journalism
    Sean O Rourke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

i've lost count!

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    i've lost count!

When you're explaining, you're loosing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Balagan1 wrote: »
    After that statement, Ursula has no choice now but to say goodbye to him.

Not really, she can't be seen to bow to national government pressure, it'll open up all sorts of Pandora's boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Not up to us as far as I'm aware. Besides, whoever it is will represent the EU's interests - whether that benefits or hinders Ireland is generally incidental.

It is a right old mess though for the Government and EU leadership..

- Hogan stays on and the EU reinforce the idea that they're unaccountable to the citizens. If they fire him, they're setting a precedent which won't sit well with them
    - MM and Leo look weak (even though it's not their call). Expect other heads to roll though if that's the case

If/when the schools returning turns into the next mess, I will not be surprised if we find ourselves trying to figure out socially-distanced elections soon thereafter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

Sorolla wrote: »
    Get off your high horse - everyone uses the phone now and again while driving.

Maybe to check a WhatsApp or maybe a text message informing one that ones Covid test was negative

Wrong again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Its not irrelevant. Legally speaking, once you start denominating lists that something specifically applies to, you are leaving yourself open to interpretation of what it then doesn't apply to. They would have been better off simply stating it applies to everybody with no exceptions or starting that a negative test anywhere does not remove the requirement. But adding specifics and specifically mentioning tests done abroad they are introducing unnecessary confusion.

I am ambivalent on the idea of Hogan resigning. I don't think he will, I don't think he will be fired but I am not going to be upset if it happens. I think he is fundamentally different from members of govt who had no reasonable choice but to resign their posts. I also think that the EU Commission rightly tries to avoid member state political strife and are justified in trying to avoid local political pressure taking down a commissioner. Hogan should never have gone to the event, but people are reaching to punish him for every conceivable thing on the table.

But then we're back to my previous point...

They specially said the restrictions apply to Irish citizens also... (nothing to do with entry rights)

So anyone can interpret..... if you not an Irish citizen it does not apply to me!

You cannot interpret anything that's not written there, how does that work, and you cannot use a second excuse that's not written to cancel the false interpretation of one item but not others.

Anyway I don't think we are going to agree on this....

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Taxi for Hogan....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Some of the Attendees current status. Mods or boardsies can update this or sticky it.

Judges

Brian Hayes (Former MEP)

Ambassadors
    Moroccan Ambassador

Ministers

Current and Former TDs
    Frank Fahey(Former)
    Noel Dempsey(Former)
    Gerry Brady(Former)
    Gerry Reynolds(Former)

Civil Servants

Senators(current+former)
    Paul Daly,
    Aidan Davitt,
    Niall Blaney,
    Paddy Burke,
    John Cummins and
    Donie Cassidy
    Imelda Henry(Former)
    Cait Keane(Former)
    Lorraine Higgins(Former)

Councillors
    Paudge Connolly Monaghan

Journalism
    Sean O Rourke

Buttimer has NOT resigned from the Seanad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

mick087 wrote: »
    You know what thats true i had totaly forgot about him.

You know you're frigged when Eamon Ryan is issuing no confidence in you. It's laughable that he is involved in any statement with the amount of gaffs he's had. He's not devious enough to flout any laws though, just regular foot in mouth episodes.

Am neither for nor against Phil Hogan. His previous involvement with Irish water appears to have followed him. I would say, every TD or senator who attended that event should go if they are forcing Hogan out. TDs and Senators would have been much more familiar with the restrictions and the public mood about an event like this. They are staying quiet hoping the Hogan dismissal will satisfy the outrage to move on from the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Buttimer has NOT resigned from the Seanad

Edit it

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Balagan1

What relevance does this have?

By Non-green list country do you mean Ireland?

In the weeks before coming to Ireland he travelled to the Netherlands for golf. No restrictions between Belgium and Netherlands at the time (are in place now) but both countries not on Ireland's green list.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just to repeat Buttimer has NOT resigned from the Seanad

He would have to be dragged kicking and screaming from the handy number he has there

• Registered Users Posts: 10,081 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,129 ✭✭✭✭elperello

29 Attendees current status. Mods or boardsies can update this or sticky it.

Judges

Brian Hayes (Former MEP)

Ambassadors
    Moroccan Ambassador

Ministers

Current and Former TDs
    Frank Fahey(Former)
    Noel Dempsey(Former)
    Gerry Brady(Former)
    Gerry Reynolds(Former)

Civil Servants

Senators(current+former)
    Paul Daly,
    Aidan Davitt,
    Niall Blaney,
    Paddy Burke,
    John Cummins and
    Donie Cassidy
    Imelda Henry(Former)
    Cait Keane(Former)
    Lorraine Higgins(Former)

Councillors
    Paudge Connolly Monaghan

Journalism
    Sean O Rourke

Thanks for compiling the list.

Pat McCartan's entry needs to be updated to read Retired Judge. He is also a former TD.

Advertisement