Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

Our 3 leaders statement must suely put this episode to bed.

Im sure people have now witnessed how an unelected selected organisation works.

Phil hogan should of resigned first day
    The unelected President Ursula von der Leyen should of sacked him for not resigning day 2.

This dragged on for no other reason than a unelected commissioner was found to be totaly unacountable to its EU citizens.

The episode is appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

There are 4 components to Hogan's situation.
    - Golfgate - he didn't organise it and isn't like the Minister who sat in cabinet or the former Attorney-General and who were involved in the regulations
    - Kildare - stopping off to collect documents is not the worst, a lot of people had work related stuff like that
    - mobile phone - not good either, you would think he would use hands free
    - 14 day quarantine - if this is a resigning matter how can Billy Kelliher remain? What about other MEPs? Martin came into the Dáil within 14 days as I recall.
    There are teachers abroad in the last week, will they be sacked?

None of these are good, but individually these do not warrant a Commissioner resigning and I doubt if the combination does either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

29 Attendees current status. Mods or boardsies can update this or sticky it.

I have to say Sean O Rourke doesn't look good in this company

Judges
    Supreme Court judge + former AG Seamus Woulfe,
    Circuit Court judge Pat McCartan,

Commissioners and MEPs (current and former)
    EU Commissioner Phil Hogan
    Brian Hayes (Former MEP)

Ambassadors
    Moroccan Ambassador

Ministers
    Dara Calleary - Resigned from Ministry

TDs(current and former)
    Independent TD Noel Grealish
    Frank Fahey(Former)
    Noel Dempsey(Former)
    Gerry Brady(Former)
    Áine Brady(Former) currently ThirdAge Ireland
    Brian Hayes(Former) currently BPFI
    Gerry Reynolds(Former)
    Dr Michael Harty(Former) and Oireachtas Health

Civil Servants
    John Flaherty Oireachtas Health+Safety - resigned

Senators(current+former)
    Paul Daly,
    Aidan Davitt,
    Niall Blaney,
    Paddy Burke,
    John Cummins
    Jerry Buttimer - Demoted
    Donie Cassidy
    Imelda Henry(Former)
    Cait Keane(Former)
    Lorraine Higgins(Former)

Councillors
    Paudge Connolly Monaghan
    Martin Brett (Killkenny) - Resigned
    Enda McGlion(Longford) - Resigned

Journalism
    Sean O Rourke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

- Golfgate - he didn't organise it and isn't like the Minister who set in cabinet when the regulations were drawn up.
    - Kildare - stopping off to collect documents is not the worst, a lot of people had work related stuff like that
    - 14 day quarantine - if this is a resigning matter how can Billy Kelliher remain? What about other MEPs? Martin came into the Dáil within 14 days as I recall.

None of these are good, but individually these do not warrant a Commissioner resigning and I doubt if the combination does either.

The porkies and over 9 statements might do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

You equating the agreement of a multi billion stimulus package for the wider EU with a game of golf?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Hurrache wrote: »
    Not really, she can't be seen to bow to national government pressure, it'll open up all sorts of Pandora's boxes.

Yes am queasy about precedent it sets if he is removed on foot of Irish govt. almost demanding it [despite the disclaimer].

If he resigns, maybe it is less of a problem, but if he will not resign & Commission/Von Der Leyen cannot agree there is enough of an ethics issue to work to have him removed [seems a tough process and not done easily (edit: dug up a IT link but it is quite old so removed)]... what then?

Could be trouble ahead between Irish govt., and the EU?
    Not great at all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Big Phil, master negotiator is explaining again...
    https://twitter.com/PhilHoganEU/status/1298358481934864385?s=20

Didn't take long for him to turn off comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,081 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

- Golfgate - he didn't organise it and isn't like the Minister who sat in cabinet or the former Attorney-General and who were involved in the regulations
    There are teachers abroad in the last week, will they be sacked?

OTHER MEPs?

Martin did it himself

https://www.thejournal.ie/micheal-martin-brussels-eu-summit-covid-test-5152281-Jul2020/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

ForestFire wrote: »
    But then we're back to my previous point...

They specially said the restrictions apply to Irish citizens also... (nothing to do with entry rights)

So anyone can interpret..... if you not an Irish citizen it does not apply to me!

You cannot interpret anything that's not written there, how does that work, and you cannot use a second excuse that's not written to cancel the false interpretation of one item but not others.

Anyway I don't think we are going to agree on this....

Well, partly I agree. These are issues because it is badly written and unclear advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ForestFire

What relevance does this have?

By Non-green list country do you mean Ireland?

If I got one of his misdemeanors wrong I applogise, but was he not in Amsterdam for golf shortly before coming to Ireland...

Anyway the point is, he should be gone, along with all other public representatives at that dinner, and by gone I mean fully gone...

Also the SF councellor that went to Spain because she couldn't get a refund.... Gone

Remember we have been effectively locked down for 6 months now, and at one stage to 2km

People and died without loved one near them.... Imagine your last seconds in this world without being able to be with the people you love.... While these people or playing golf and dinning it up with no care for anyone

IN THIS TOGETHER....

• Advertisement

You equating the agreement of a multi billion stimulus package for the wider EU with a game of golf?

Martin should have had to restrict his movements for 14 days same as everyone else.
    Martin shouldn't be using the excuse that he got a test organised for him after a week to ignore restrictions (same as Hogan), otherwise we should all be entitled to testing on return from abroad.

Martin was straight into the Dail on his return, at least Hogan was restricting his movements until he got tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

gmisk wrote: »
    Apologies, but he is still working for the government by the looks of it no?..cosy wee number for him being paid well I would think for work like the stardust inquest

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/PR17000088

Wrong again. He completed his work on that in 2017, a few months after starting it.

Have you evidence that he is “being well paid” for a “cosy wee number” (apart from his pensions) or are you just googling his name and posting any random Out of date articles you find ?

ForestFire wrote: »
    If I got one of his misdemeanors wrong I applogise, but was he not in Amsterdam for golf shortly before coming to Ireland...

But didn't he travel there from Belgium?
    Coming to Ireland from Holland or Belgium makes no odds and coming to Ireland from Belgium Via Holland the same.

Hogan is normally resident in Belgium, not Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

Hurrache wrote: »
    Not really, she can't be seen to bow to national government pressure, it'll open up all sorts of Pandora's boxes.

She won't be bowing to pressure.

The bar for sacking commissioner is very, very high

It doesn't matter who wants Hogan gone or even if she herself wants him gone

If it does't meet the requirements to sack him there is noting anyone can do

If it does then then it simply does an has nothing to do with pressure

Martin should have had to restrict his movements for 14 days same as everyone else.
    Martin shouldn't be using the excuse that he got a test organised for him after a week to ignore restrictions (same as Hogan), otherwise we should all be entitled to testing on return from abroad.

Martin was straight into the Dail on his return, at least Hogan was restricting his movements until he got tested.

I suggest you acquaint yourself with the regs how they apply to essential workers.
    Agreeing an EU budget, essential.
    Game of golf, non essential.

He has lied about everything else

Why are you believing he restricted his movements?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

The story broke Thursday 20 August. Explainations still coming on Tuesday 25 August. Full facts were not disclosed last Thursday. Mr Hogan has changed some facts therefore he lied.
    Mr Hogan should be sacked for lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Another phil hogan tweet...he didn't say...what he said....in that interview earlier...

UsBus wrote: »
    You know you're frigged when Eamon Ryan is issuing no confidence in you. It's laughable that he is involved in any statement with the amount of gaffs he's had. He's not devious enough to flout any laws though, just regular foot in mouth episodes.

Am neither for nor against Phil Hogan. His previous involvement with Irish water appears to have followed him. I would say, every TD or senator who attended that event should go if they are forcing Hogan out. TDs and Senators would have been much more familiar with the restrictions and the public mood about an event like this. They are staying quiet hoping the Hogan dismissal will satisfy the outrage to move on from the event.

Yes i agree all the people on that list should get the same treatment as Hogan should get as in being sacked.

I doubt all 81 heads will roll but imagine the publics confidence in such a goverment if they did.

This is a chance for our elected goverment to shine but i fear they will settle for only a few heads.

I suggest you acquaint yourself with the regs how they apply to essential workers.
    Agreeing an EU budget, essential.
    Game of golf, non essential.

EU trade commissioner not essential? LOL
    The whole Brexit trade negotiations depend on him, quite essential to Ireland and he was working while visiting home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,152 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

McConkey on Prime Time putting the boot into big Phil...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭tigger123

gmisk wrote: »
    Another phil hogan tweet...he didn't say...what he said....in that interview earlier...

No, wait... what he ... said the first time, that's what ... he said, but he didn't... eh ... mean the ehm, wait hold on, I just to disable the comments here...

What website has the best account of this whole story from the start to now in one article?

My sister in the UK has off the net for a few days

The whole Brexit trade negotiations depend on him, quite essential to Ireland and he was working while visiting home.

EU Commissioner playing a game of golf is not essential. What part do you have trouble with?
    Again the EU Commissioner role is to represent the EU and not one particular EU state. His loyalty is to the EU they even pinkie swear an oath to this effect.
    Actually he claimed he was working on an EU/ American trade deal, you seem confused it's ok you have something in common with Phil

• Registered Users Posts: 6,152 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

What website has the best account of this whole story from the start to now in one article?

My sister in the UK has off the net for a few days

This thread....and the other one...;)

jojofizzio wrote: »

RTÉ player has stopped working for me for the last hour or two

fly_agaric wrote: »
    Yes am queasy about precedent it sets if he is removed on foot of Irish govt. almost demanding it [despite the disclaimer].

If he resigns, maybe it is less of a problem, but if he will not resign & Commission/Von Der Leyen cannot agree there is enough of an ethics issue to work to have him removed [seems a tough process and not done easily (edit: dug up a IT link but it is quite old so removed)]... what then?

Could be trouble ahead between Irish govt., and the EU?
    Not great at all really.

When you deny your citizens the right to be part of a process in electing someone for such powerful important position then its only a matter of time before the trouble problems start from its citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭tigger123

Brexit negotiations depend on the position he holds, not on him.

This thread....and the other one...;)

Too much swearing in this thread. She doesn't like profanity :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

He could of cut his own hair like that months ago.

Advertisement