Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

What website has the best account of this whole story from the start to now in one article?

My sister in the UK has off the net for a few days
    Irish Examiner?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

He's not supposed to do any good for Ireland in his role as Commissioner, his job is to represent the EU as a whole. Something of course which is ignored by several here.

It’s actually being used as an excuse not to push him from office by many on here. Whereas in reality, it matters not that he’s from Ireland. It gives us no advantage, so nothing to be gained if he stays, nor lost if he goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

Gods Gift wrote: »
    All we’re missing is the sex scandal.

Wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Gods Gift wrote: »
    All we’re missing is the sex scandal.

With Lorraine Higgins? No thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Imagine it turned out they served bat or pangolin at the dinner? The resulting furore would cause the universe to collapse in on itself.

• Advertisement

Ten Pin wrote: »

Not that I'm any kind of a George Clooney myself but I clicked on the link and the first thing I saw was the photo and I asked myself "why is Ten Pin linking to wikipedia page about the X-Men?

• Registered Users Posts: 52,014 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Don’t care what happens Trickle over this.
    He has proven what I always thought about him I.e. self-serving arrogant specimen of humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/extraordinary-joint-statement-by-government-leaders-says-it-is-clear-phil-hogan-breached-public-health-guidelines-39477525.html

Not sure if this up already but fair fuks to the boys for doin it... but then again they know they have to distance themselves from him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

quinnd6 wrote: »
    What good has he done for Ireland since he became EU
    commissioner?
    I'm curious.
    Can anyone come up with an example of how Phil Hogan
    has actually helped Ireland?
    Whenever I think of Phil Hogan I think of
    him threatening to cut peoples water to a trickle
    and then going off and getting a big job in the EU for
    being a big bully boy.
    So I'm interested to hear has he done Ireland an iota of
    good since he became EU commissioner?

Phil Hogan's loyalties stand with Phil Hogan, not Ireland.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

screamer wrote: »
    It’s actually being used as an excuse not to push him from office by many on here. Whereas in reality, it matters not that he’s from Ireland. It gives us no advantage, so nothing to be gained if he stays, nor lost if he goes.

Ultimately it is irrelevant - the Commission will not want to be persuaded by member state politics as they are deliberately trying to avoid that. However, Hogan may ultimately be forced out as the Commission will equally not want to look to be above the law etc.

As far as Ireland is concerned, the ousting of Hogan may even be more beneficial than whatever benefits he brings to his post given how important it is to maintain public engagement in the restrictions.

But the concept of "soft power" or the idea that experience and knowledge can move talks in a certain direction is clearly lost on people here (deliberately by some I suspect). Suggesting it simply doesn't matter who is in each commission role and that the nationality of the commissioner makes zero impact is absurd.

• Advertisement

I don't Gods Gift meant a sex scandal involving you ;)

EDIT: Actually I honestly don't know, maybe Gods Gift did mean that:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

He's not supposed to do any good for Ireland in his role as Commissioner, his job is to represent the EU as a whole. Something of course which is ignored by several here.

Last time I checked Ireland was part of the EU so doing good for Ireland would be part of his brief.

Furthermore, if you think EU commissioners & MEP’s have not done enormous amounts for their own respective native countries in the past, you are extremely naive and you have a lot of reading to do.

As an aside, what do I think Phil Hogan would do or has done for Ireland? Sweet f*ck all unless it benefited him in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Politicians like Jim O'Callaghan for example were saying he should keep his job and insinuating it was some kind of benefit to
    Ireland to have him there when it is not.
    I'd say he'll probably be gone tomorrow anyway.
    Too much bad publicity on this one really and I think
    there's much more important things to be thinking of anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭ax530

Can see how he useful on Brexit negotiations won't back down

Last time I checked Ireland was part of the EU so doing good for Ireland would be part of his brief.

Furthermore, if you think EU commissioners & MEP’s have not done enormous amounts for their own respective native countries in the past, you are extremely naive and you have a lot of reading to do.

As an aside, what do I think Phil Hogan would do or has done for Ireland? Sweet f*ck all unless it benefited him in some way.

Then it doesn't matte what country they are from

so therefore Hogan can be sacked and his replacement can from anywhere the EU and will be just as beneficial to Ireland AND IT AT LEAST WON'T BE SOMEONE WHO NEARLY MURDERED AN INNOCENT HUMAN BEING

• Registered Users Posts: 10,081 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

He should have pulled on his green Jersey and Restricted his movements for 14 days for no sensible reason like everyone else (except the Taoiseach and lots of his buddies).
    We are all in this together etc.

Load of Bull.

He should have pulled on his green Jersey and Restricted his movements for 14 days for no sensible reason like everyone else (except the Taoiseach and lots of his buddies).

Load of Bull.

You shouldn't sign your posts with your real name

• Registered Users Posts: 15,129 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Please bear with me, I have been trying to work this out and can't find an answer anywhere.

Say on the day P Hogan went into hospital for his intervention and got tested clear for C19 there was another guy, a resident of Ireland, in
    for similar treatment and he also got tested clear for C19.

Neither of them have been identified as a contact of someone with C19.

Would both of them have to self isolate on leaving the hospital and why?

Genuine enquiry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

quinnd6 wrote: »
    Politicians like Jim O'Callaghan for example were saying he should keep his job and insinuating it was some kind of benefit to
    Ireland to have him there when it is not.
    I'd say he'll probably be gone tomorrow anyway.
    Too much bad publicity on this one really and I think
    there's much more important things to be thinking of anyway.

I want him gone but it’s nonsense to think he wouldn’t have a bias towards Ireland and Irish interests. No matter how self serving he is, he’d have a bias towards us.

However, what he did in my view is a resigning offence so the rest is academic. The crime needs to be judged not the perpetrator or his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Then it hat country they are from

so therefore Hogan can be sacked and his replacement can from anywhere the EU and will be just a beneficial to Ireland AND IT AT LEAST WON'T BE SOMEONE WHO NEARLY MURDERED AN INNOCENT HUMAN BEING

Jesus, put that drink down, it’s only 10:45pm. You been on it all day or just hit hard the last few hours?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,636 ✭✭✭obi604

Googled it but could not find anything. Is there some thing in the past regarding hogan and Lorraine Higgins?

DeanAustin wrote: »
    I want him gone but it’s nonsense to think he wouldn’t have a bias towards Ireland and Irish interests. No matter how self serving he is, he’d have a bias towards us.

However, what he did in my view is a resigning offence so the rest is academic. The crime needs to be judged not the perpetrator or his job.

His bias is all towards himself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Jizique

Load of Bull.

The Valley of the Squinting Windows; I never thought Ireland would turn into East Germany again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

His bias is all towards himself

If nothing else, I’m sure he’ll retire back to Ireland and love to tell the story about the time he screwed the Brits. I get that he is arrogant, I get that he has a brass neck and is obviously self serving. But I can’t believe that he wouldn’t lean towards our interests in a negotiation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

I'm failing to see how having Hogan as commissioner is an advantage to Ireland in Brexit deals etc.
    The man is clearly quite dim for thinking it was ok to go to the dinner/golf in the first place and came across a bit thick at times in the interview this evening. At one stage he referred to the citizens information website as the "consumer information site".

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Munstergirl854

His brother runs a bar in Lanzarote and he's a five star prick too...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Jizique wrote: »
    The Valley of the Squinting Windows; I never thought Ireland would turn into East Germany again

Well that's a bit strange as a comparison. Which East German leaders were held to account for their actions by the public?

Jesus, put that drink down, it’s only 10:45pm. You been on it all day or just hit hard the last few hours?

The pig was driving while using a mobile phone

Innocent people get killed that way

Why are you so in love with the piggy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭gifted

His brother runs a bar in Lanzarote and he's a five star prick too...

I'd love to know what bar...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

I'm failing to see how having Hogan as commissioner is an advantage to Ireland in Brexit deals etc.
    The man is clearly quite dim for thinking it was ok to go to the dinner/golf in the first place and came across a bit thick at times in the interview this evening. At one stage he referred to the citizens information webiste as the "consumer information site".

He will be tied up in knots if put under real pressure. That interview showed it. Besides its not him that decides US EU or Brexit deals its already decided before he turns up he is just a delievery man and likes golf

Advertisement