Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Jizique

Well that's a bit strange as a comparison. Which East German leaders were held to account for their actions by the public?

Just the Stasi sense to all this - we are a step away from shaming work colleagues who defied the ban on house parties and spent two hours in a pub without eating a pizza

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

DeanAustin wrote: »
    If nothing else, I’m sure he’ll retire back to Ireland and love to tell the story about the time he screwed the Brits. I get that he is arrogant, I get that he has a brass neck and is obviously self serving. But I can’t believe that he wouldn’t lean towards our interests in a negotiation.

He doesn't care one iota about anybody but himself.

He leans towards his own interests.

That interviewed showed it was all a joke to him - he didn't even bother to properly prepare

have you seen the before and after of the interview ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

elperello wrote: »
    Please bear with me, I have been trying to work this out and can't find an answer anywhere.

Say on the day P Hogan went into hospital for his intervention and got tested clear for C19 there was another guy, a resident of Ireland, in
    for similar treatment and he also got tested clear for C19.

Neither of them have been identified as a contact of someone with C19.

Would both of them have to self isolate on leaving the hospital and why?

Genuine enquiry.

Because there is discrimination against people coming into the country. If I worked with someone with Covid I would be tested and if negative I would be free to go. Hogan probably didn't work with anyone with Covid but he was out foreign so even a negative test shouldn't be allowed save him.

However, if I was the EU I would not accept this discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Please bear with me, I have been trying to work this out and can't find an answer anywhere.

Say on the day P Hogan went into hospital for his intervention and got tested clear for C19 there was another guy, a resident of Ireland, in
    for similar treatment and he also got tested clear for C19.

Neither of them have been identified as a contact of someone with C19.

Would both of them have to self isolate on leaving the hospital and why?

Genuine enquiry.

No, only Hogan, because his situation, as clearly outlined by the guidelines, is governed by the returning to Ireland from abroad section. It clearly states - on citizens info website - that you must restrict movement for 14 days and testing negative is not offered as a get out clause around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Munstergirl854

gifted wrote: »
    I'd love to know what bar...

PM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

gifted wrote: »
    I'd love to know what bar...
    Hogan's Hideout?
    Hogan's Bogan?
    The Cute Hoor Inn?
    The Parish Pump?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Hogan's Hideout?
    Hogan's Bogan?
    The Cute Hoor Inn?
    The Parish Pump?

The Trickle Bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

This is great. Big Phil's Camino trail.
    https://twitter.com/evgaughan/status/1298259249819054086?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

obi604 wrote: »
    Googled it but could not find anything. Is there some thing in the past regarding hogan and Lorraine Higgins?

This is hilarious! Someone posts that all that’s missing from the story is a sex scandal. Someone else whimsically posts that they’d hope it didn’t involve Lorraine Higgins.

Next thing here’s you taking it seriously and googling to see if you can find dirt on the two!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,081 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,149 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Anyone who thinks any Irish political figure and I mean any does anything at all just for Ireland and it's people without covering their own snake arse interests is why after 100 fupping years we are still voting the same sides of a single coin every time we go to the polls, after this nonsense FF and FG should be decimated and any and all dynastic political figures caught out in this banned from running for office striped of all rank title and privilege but nope they'll all get a nice payoff and their posters will be up again as soon as they decide it's safe to pull the wool over people again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,129 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Because there is discrimination against people coming into the country. If I worked with someone with Covid I would be tested and if negative I would be free to go. Hogan probably didn't work with anyone with Covid but he was out foreign so even a negative test shouldn't be allowed save him.

However, if I was the EU I would not accept this discrimination.

Thanks for the clarification.

So someone who is a full time resident and has no known contact with C19 is not asked to self isolate having had a negative test.

Whereas P Hogan who also has no known contact despite having a negative test must self isolate up to the end of his 14 day period after entering the country.

The reason being that PH was in a different country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,636 ✭✭✭obi604

This is hilarious! Someone posts that all that’s missing from the story is a sex scandal. Someone else whimsically posts that they’d hope it didn’t involve Lorraine Higgins.

Next thing here’s you taking it seriously and googling to see if you can find dirt on the two!

It’s Hardly hilarious. If you find it hilarious, fair play to you. I do half recall something in the past with these two though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,129 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Thread descending into pantomime.

Even the brother is getting a belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,826 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If the most recent trade agreement failed Trump would have had enough material from this to take the piss out of the EU for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

quinnd6 wrote: »
    What good has he done for Ireland since he became EU commissioner??

Ireland does very well out of CAP which he was in charge of. I seem to recall as well that when there were very bad weather conditions a few years ago, the EU came up with a couple of million to help buy feed for animals.

As well as that, Ireland got 200m to help find new markets for Irish Agric food to make up for the loss of the UK market.

There are going to be very tough negotiations between the US and EU where Agric Foods are going to be a major point of contention. As a former Agric. Commissioner, he will have a very good understanding of the issues affecting agriculture, not alone in Ireland, but Europe. Its highly unlikely he will be happy to sell agriculture down the river for cars in Germany.

He was a keynote speaker at a conference in Washington in January and he really does know his brief and was well able to answer and refute some of Trump's claims about how the EU isn't nice to the US when it comes to trade.

While he can't actually be seen to be looking after Ireland's interests, at least he will know and understand what Ireland's interests are. When it comes to Brexit when agric. products are going to be problematic, he will know more about the issues than any of his counterparts in the UK.

I do half recall something in the past with these two though.

Do you really?

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

Anyone who thinks any Irish political figure and I mean any does anything at all just for Ireland and it's people without covering their own snake arse interests is why after 100 fupping years we are still voting the same sides of a single coin every time we go to the polls, after this nonsense FF and FG should be decimated and any and all dynastic political figures caught out in this banned from running for office striped of all rank title and privilege but nope they'll all get a nice payoff and their posters will be up again as soon as they decide it's safe to pull the wool over people again.

Why would it change? It great.Win-Win but dont talk about performance linked pay or god for bid fund your own pension and expenses. That's a big no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

If anything this saga is exposing Ireland ludicrous Covid rules particularly with regard to inter EU travel.

Hopefully EU recognise this and put pressure on our government to reform this.

Also people seem to forget that MM was rocking around after his trip to Brussels recently

People seriously need to look at bigger picture here and not get blinkered by their hate for Hogan and the establishment

Do you really?

Yes I do Philip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Jizique

jm08 wrote: »
    Ireland does very well out of CAP which he was in charge of. I seem to recall as well that when there were very bad weather conditions a few years ago, the EU came up with a couple of million to help buy feed for animals.

As well as that, Ireland got 200m to help find new markets for Irish Agric food to make up for the loss of the UK market.

There are going to be very tough negotiations between the US and EU where Agric Foods are going to be a major point of contention. As a former Agric. Commissioner, he will have a very good understanding of the issues affecting agriculture, not alone in Ireland, but Europe. Its highly unlikely he will be happy to sell agriculture down the river for cars in Germany.

He was a keynote speaker at a conference in Washington in January and he really does know his brief and was well able to answer and refute some of Trump's claims about how the EU isn't nice to the US when it comes to trade.

While he can't actually be seen to be looking after Ireland's interests, at least he will know and understand what Ireland's interests are. When it comes to Brexit when agric. products are going to be problematic, he will know more about the issues than any of his counterparts in the UK.

Stop with all that please - it’s time to join SF and demand the head of the most senior Irish politician in the EU to appease the baying mob and to score a political point

Thread descending into pantomime.

Even the brother is getting a belt.

And it wouldn't be the first belt he got....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/travellers-attack-environment-minister-phil-hogans-brother-in-his-pub-after-he-cautioned-them-26897171.html

Yes I do Philip.

That’s even funnier!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Yes I do Philip.

Been following politics for a long time. This episode is a figment of your imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Private lives shouldn't come into it.

Now if he was having sex parties on EU time that would be different.

Private lives shouldn't come into it.

Now if he was having sex parties on EU time that would be different.

Ah get with the programme. Private lives always come in to It. Especially in these high Profile positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Jizique wrote: »
    Stop with all that please - it’s time to join SF and demand the head of the most senior Irish politician in the EU to appease the baying mob and to score a political point

Its going to be even better fun if Hogan resigns and Michael appoints an FFer to take his place.

It will probably have to be someone with ministerial experience which seems to be in very short supply when looking at FF at the moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

It’s Hardly hilarious. If you find it hilarious, fair play to you. I do half recall something in the past with these two though.

Phil in the rough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

jm08 wrote: »
    Its going to be even better fun if Hogan resigns and Michael appoints an FFer to take his place.

It will probably have to be someone with ministerial experience which seems to be in very short supply when looking at FF at the moment.

Current talent is in short supply the bar is set very low.

Advertisement