Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Someone else might have the finer details but do many recall that when Dr John Harbison was taken ill, a shroud of uncertainty hung over his more recent work. There was a worry as to whether cases would stick. IIRC.

Does Judge Woulfe's phenomenally poor judgement in 1. attending Clifden and 2. staying when the event clearly breached rules he delivered for government not leave him open to not merely political taint (point 1) but doubts over the refined nature of his judgement (2) and his ability to operate at Supreme Court level?

It's truly baffling, and galling, that a senior judge would place his office in such an invidious position.

Yes indeed.

The man now has zero authority after this.

The judiciary are "looking into it". Hopefully it means they really are and are not just stalling to see if Hogan survives.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Someone else might have the finer details but do many recall that when Dr John Harbison was taken ill, a shroud of uncertainty hung over his more recent work. There was a worry as to whether cases would stick. IIRC.

Does Judge Woulfe's phenomenally poor judgement in 1. attending Clifden and 2. staying when the event clearly breached rules he delivered for government not leave him open to not merely political taint (point 1) but doubts over the refined nature of his judgement (2) and his ability to operate at Supreme Court level?

Highly questionable whether a SC judge should be attending this sort of event even in 'normal' times. 'Separation of powers' should be a bit more substantial than the partition down the middle of that room...

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

Highly questionable whether a SC judge should be attending this sort of event even in 'normal' times. 'Separation of powers' should be a bit more substantial than the partition down the middle of that room...

Well he was defended today by another retired judge

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

Probably posted here already.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/who-attended-the-golf-dinner-and-what-has-happened-to-them-since-1.4338834

"Also at the table was former Independent TD Paudge Connolly, now a Monaghan County Councillor. The Irish Times revealed he was playing golf in Spain nine days previous to the dinner. Spain is not on the Government’s green list of countries, meaning people arriving back from there must quarantine for 14 days. Mr Connolly has yet to respond to a request for comment."

"Losing the party whip" means they've been expelled from the party doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Send their Prime Minister a letter

Why should I interfere in another countries laws, though Australia is a bit fascist in how it does things (refugees put on some remote island).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Like once you are explaining 14 days of movements with multiple restrictions in place, your goose is cooked, there will always be a hole. You think it would have been prudent for him to admit fault, maybe throw in the bit about the test, say that he was mistaken and should not have believed that exempt him from the restriction on movement,ignorance is no defense and apologise , say something like "I have hurt the irish people and for that I feel ashamed, I promise to use this opportunity to take my duty more seriously and not insult the sacrifices of my fellow citizens" grovel grovel, he could have pulled that off. But instead.....we are into Roscommon......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

It's hardly the first time a member of the judiciary has played golf/eaten dinner with members of our government.

How could it be?

These guys live in the same areas, know the same people. This is ireland. Not a big country by any stretch of the imagination.

It's hardly the first time a member of the judiciary has played golf/eaten dinner with members of our government.

How could it be?

These guys live in the same areas, know the same people. This is ireland. Not a big country by any stretch of the imagination.

Yes we are a small country but what was illustrated by who was in attendance is its still a very cosy relationship even in these times. It reminds me of the Galway tent during races week.

How could it be?

Yes. And we don't hear about it because our journalists are eating from the same trough.
    A good example is, not Sean o Rurke being at the event, but the fact no newspaper was going to cover this story until the Examiner broke it.
    They knew about it. But chose not to cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Spotlight on the unelected EU Commission president. She is not elected by EU citizens. Von der Leyen now needs to resign.
    Reform the EU government. Irish MEPs are silent.
    It's disgusting.

• Advertisement

Scoondal wrote: »
    Spotlight on the unelected EU Commission president. She is not elected by EU citizens. Von der Leyen now needs to resign.
    It's disgusting.

The Eu is going to have bigger problems in a few months so i think the wagons will be put in a circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Anniepower

Probably posted here already.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/who-attended-the-golf-dinner-and-what-has-happened-to-them-since-1.4338834

"Also at the table was former Independent TD Paudge Connolly, now a Monaghan County Councillor. The Irish Times revealed he was playing golf in Spain nine days previous to the dinner. Spain is not on the Government’s green list of countries, meaning people arriving back from there must quarantine for 14 days. Mr Connolly has yet to respond to a request for comment."

"Losing the party whip" means they've been expelled from the party doesn't it?

Wondering myself exactly what the party whip term means and if a td loses it what are the consequences

Anniepower wrote: »
    Wondering myself exactly what the party whip term means and if a td loses it what are the consequences

Just replaced no biggie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

How could it be?

Was this golf piss up open to the public?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Did anyone else try and watch the prime time after it was finished? The online one they uploaded cuts or in the middle of the Fintan O'Toole interview.

A lot of gladhanding by McConkey, another prick hoping that staying in the good graces of his handlers will see him wheeled out and given the big jobs. Making excuses for the behaviour of this man is sickening, so transparent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

jm08 wrote: »
    Why should I interfere in another countries laws, though Australia is a bit fascist in how it does things (refugees put on some remote island).

You mean sensible not fascist

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

I can't keep up with it all.

Surely someone has made a Golfgate app by now?

The Phil Hogan Tracker App

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Good morning folks!

Slept better than I expected last night. Feeling fresh and ready to go. Now, off to polish my pitchfork before breakfast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Putting aside which IRA/B derived political party you support this sums it up.
    Details each of the lies.
    • If he doesn't go it's going to put a pretty big hole in the "we are all in it together" narrative.
    • Equally it'll back up some of the Brexit arguments (unelected, unaccountable).
    • It'll also show how the EU commission sets legislation based on crony access at golf events.

This type of thing goes a long way to explaining why we have a housing crisis and every vulture fund is allowed to buy up
    half of Dublin and rent the fvck out of them to the clear detriment of every citizen here. Great profits though.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1298313763939115009?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Anniepower wrote: »
    It just means that you sit in the naughty corner for a while, keep the head down till it all blows over.
    Financially only Callery and Buttimer are taking a hit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

“Losing the party whip”

You can still come to the wedding but you have to leave before the band start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

In fairness if he had a negative test why would he quarantine for 2 weeks

Are we now saying testing for coronavirus is flawed. He had the test carried out a hospital too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Are we now saying testing for coronavirus is flawed. He had the test carried out a hospital too

Because you need 2 tests 7 days apart to confirm you don’t have it. It can take time for it to show up in your system and Belgium was a hot spot for covid19 when he travelled back to Ireland.
    Plus that’s the rule, but sure as we all see, then ould Phil doesn’t accept the rules or gets a caution because they don’t apply to him like they do to us plebs......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Allinall

Scoondal wrote: »
    It's disgusting.

I'm confused.

If you had no say in her appointment, how can you call for her resignation?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,357 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

How about An Eejit At Home ?

Kathryn Thomas has that covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Has Phil Hogan resigned yet? It seems inevitable. What will happen to his team? With all these semi-truths he is either being badly advised or overruling them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Gods Gift wrote: »
    The Phil Hogan Tracker App

I don't think I'll download that, guaranteed to drain my battery in minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭golfball37

The Irish media and Twitterati obsession with this is like captain Ahab at this stage. This white whale bit them a few years ago and must be pursued regardless of consequences

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

golfball37 wrote: »
    The Irish media and Twitterati obsession with this is like captain Ahab at this stage. This white whale bit them a few years ago and must be pursued regardless of consequences

He has to go at this stage. He paid lip service to the regulations and believed himself to be above them.

At the same time, reading the Irish Times today and seeing comments from people about who he was dining with in the K Club is a dangerous line to go down in terms of people’s privacy. The politicians calling for his head may well rue this as they will now be judged by those same standards as before (for the most part) people would have left them in peace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

What has fairness got to do with anything? The requirements for people coming here from a red list country is to restrict ones movements for 14 days regardless of a test. However if reports are true Hogan was out dining with friends at the K club the day he arrived, before he tested negative.

Advertisement