Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

golfball37 wrote: »
    The Irish media and Twitterati obsession with this is like captain Ahab at this stage. This white whale bit them a few years ago and must be pursued regardless of consequences
    I'm still waiting for you to explain why Ursula Von D is corrupt, Golfball.
    You can't just make a statement like that without backing it up you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

What has fairness got to do with anything? The requirements for people coming here from a red list country is to restrict ones movements for 14 days regardless of a test. However if reports are true Hogan was out dining with friends at the K club the day he arrived, before he tested negative.

So did Michael Martin isolate for 14 days after his attendance at the EU summit in Brussels?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

jm08 wrote: »
    Why should I interfere in another countries laws, though Australia is a bit fascist in how it does things (refugees put on some remote island).

I see. You are happy to pass a comment but not happy at the thought of action.

Also it is hilarious that you think that if you did send a message to the PM that it qualifies as interference in their laws.

Jaysus, Hogan was spreading an infection, it just wasn't Covid.

Like once you are explaining 14 days of movements with multiple restrictions in place, your goose is cooked, there will always be a hole. You think it would have been prudent for him to admit fault, maybe throw in the bit about the test, say that he was mistaken and should not have believed that exempt him from the restriction on movement,ignorance is no defense and apologise , say something like "I have hurt the irish people and for that I feel ashamed, I promise to use this opportunity to take my duty more seriously and not insult the sacrifices of my fellow citizens" grovel grovel, he could have pulled that off. But instead.....we are into Roscommon......

Considering he couldn't contain the smirk in that interview where he was passing the blame, I'd say he'd have literally exploded from laughter if he had done what you suggest

It's hardly the first time a member of the judiciary has played golf/eaten dinner with members of our government.

How could it be?

These guys live in the same areas, know the same people. This is ireland. Not a big country by any stretch of the imagination.

The fact the others didn't get caught does not exempt Woulfe

• Advertisement

The Belly wrote: »
    Yes we are a small country but what was illustrated by who was in attendance is its still a very cosy relationship even in these times. It reminds me of the Galway tent during races week.

That was put to Martin in his radio interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

So did Michael Martin isolate for 14 days after his attendance at the EU summit in Brussels?

Start a thread about MM if you want and i'll drop by. This is about Phil Hogan.

Yes. And we don't hear about it because our journalists are eating from the same trough.
    A good example is, not Sean o Rurke being at the event, but the fact no newspaper was going to cover this story until the Examiner broke it.
    They knew about it. But chose not to cover it.

Didn't he get named very early on though?

RTÉ even tried to get him on his old show for an interview but he refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭Field east

s1ippy wrote: »
    Did anyone else try and watch the prime time after it was finished? The online one they uploaded cuts or in the middle of the Fintan O'Toole interview.

A lot of gladhanding by McConkey, another prick hoping that staying in the good graces of his handlers will see him wheeled out and given the big jobs. Making excuses for the behaviour of this man is sickening, so transparent.

With all due respect , I totally disagree. I find him very nuanced in his contribution. He is not afraid to make suggestions on other aspects ,eg economic, social, around the virus and how things might be managed. I think that his thinking ,at times , draws a lot on his experience from working in the third world. I find him very balanced in his comments, is very clear in the points he makes.
    A few days ago he tried to rationalize , from a psychological perspective, how the whole Golfgate might have come about.
    As ‘the man said’ it can be useful to get the other man’s view’ on the matter.

The comments re golfgate - the vast, vast ,vast majority of all the posts here and on other threads are either clearly for or against with lots of hidden agendas. As one poster said no matter what Hogan did he should go anyway

Mc Conkey, IMO, is one of the very few that is objective on all of his contributions.

Scoondal wrote: »
    Spotlight on the unelected EU Commission president. She is not elected by EU citizens. Von der Leyen now needs to resign.
    Reform the EU government. Irish MEPs are silent.
    It's disgusting.

Why should Boss Lady resign?

She is clearly not letting I be swept under the carpet and not all the commissioners are Hogans.

Okay, maybe it needs to be reformed but ousting everyone doesn't do that - they'd just have to be replaced the same way.

• Advertisement

I see. You are happy to pass a comment but not happy at the thought of action.

Also it is hilarious that you think that if you did send a message to the PM that it qualifies as interference in their laws.

Jaysus, Hogan was spreading an infection, it just wasn't Covid.

I think a jail sentence for breaking civid restrictions is a bit much (and costly to implement).

As for sending a message to the PM - the PM of Australia in not answerable to me. I would be just wasting my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Field east wrote: »
    With all due respect , I totally disagree. I find him very nuanced in his contribution. He is not afraid to make suggestions on other aspects ,eg economic, social, around the virus and how things might be managed. I think that his thinking ,at times , draws a lot on his experience from working in the third world. I find him very balanced in his comments, is very clear in the points he makes.
    A few days ago he tried to rationalize , from a psychological perspective, how the whole Golfgate might have come about.
    As ‘the man said’ it can be useful to get the other man’s view’ on the matter.

The comments re golfgate - the vast, vast ,vast majority of all the posts here and on other threads are either clearly for or against with lots of hidden agendas. As one poster said no matter what Hogan did he should go anyway

Mc Conkey, IMO, is one of the very few that is objective on all of his contributions.

What did McConkey say? Was it Prime Time?

the reason I bring it up is how come Martin was ok not to self isolate. I want the HSE rules explained.

The Belly wrote: »
    Just replaced no biggie

Replaced by who? If TD who is not a minister loses the whip why is he being replaced and how?

In some countries it seems to mean being expelled or "effectively expelled" from the party.

So in Ireland it a slap on the wrist and "go sit over there"?

Martin and Varadkar need to do more than that. Doesn't make sense to go after only Hogan and they could be dealing wit the others in the meantime. That would really put Boss Lady on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Zzzzzzzzzzzz

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

But he is one of the trio - and the national political leader- asking for his head - officially anyway- because of an action that MM is 100% guilty of if he did not go thru the 14 day self isolation

Did anyone else try and watch the prime time after it was finished? The online one they uploaded cuts or in the middle of the Fintan O'Toole interview.

A lot of gladhanding by McConkey, another prick hoping that staying in the good graces of his handlers will see him wheeled out and given the big jobs. Making excuses for the behaviour of this man is sickening, so transparent.

I could not get Prime Time to play at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It appears now that Golfgate and Phil Hogan are being used as a scapegoat to divert attention from the horrendous and draconian measures placed on the people of Ireland which have caused so much heartache and pain and are still being inflicted on us to this day by an unelected NEPHET

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Jizique

You have a different opinion on something to a chap on tv so you call him a prick?
    For this alone I hope Hogan survives in his role, even if he too is a fool and many consider him a prick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

People are always saying that the judiciary are out of touch with people. We have a Judge admittedly dining with the so called upper echelons and certainly it doesnt look good but are Judges to be isolated away completely and make them more out of touch.
    I know a very high ranking Judge who regularly frequents the local Paddy Power shop and is good for a chat. Most of the punters dont know who he is. I have seen other members of the Judiciary standing on the sideline at their kids rugby, G.A.A. and soccer matches. They attend golf, horse racing, point to points. If Woulfe had just played his golf and fecked off home I dont think there would be any problem. Under normal circumstances this society would play away with business people, politicians, Dail employees.
    We will always have the great conspiracy theories but the further you remove people normal social circles the more priveledged thesr people will become

• Advertisement

I wish they’d hurry up and conclude this matter once and for all. All those others at the dinner must be loving the distraction and I’m sure their own brazenness has them believing they’ve gotten away unscathed.

I’m not forgetting their part in all this and I hope The Irish Examiner isn’t either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Can somebody as MM why he is going on on Phil Hogan when he did not self isolate on his return from Brusseks recently and used his testing as a reason to the media?

What did McConkey say? Was it Prime Time?
    Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Diplomatic travel is exempt from the 14 day request to restrict your movements.

Hogan isn't able to play that card as his place of residence is Belgium and he was travelling to Ireland for personal, not diplomatic, reasons.

And as an example of how vague the actual regulations are - there's no requirement for anyone arriving into the Ireland to self-isolate. It is only a request for people arriving to restrict their movements for 14 days, the only actual requirement is to complete a passenger locator form and to submit updates anytime your location changes in the 14 days.

I wonder has anyone thought to ask Phil did he submit the 8 or so locator forms that he was legally required to complete everytime he took off for another overnight somewhere?

https://twitter.com/dkennytcd/status/1298283081334427651?s=20

https://assets.gov.ie/81393/ac919021-7a8b-4f51-84a7-c6d066aa81b8.pdf

Edgware wrote: »
    It just means that you sit in the naughty corner for a while, keep the head down till it all blows over.
    Financially only Callery and Buttimer are taking a hut

Well that is not enough.

They may not have been running rampant around the country like Hogan but they are equally in need punishment

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Treble double

Thats a bit over the top for the offence.

That attitude is what's wrong with this country, impose restrictions but don't bother having penalties that are enforced when said restrictions are breached.
    There is no consequences for anyone in this country breaching regulations that's why it's a haven for freeloaders and low level criminals.
    If Hogan breached regulations enforce the penalty for same.
    But shur there would be no media frenzy in that. We are a nation of curtain twitchers and want the drama of getting people to resign which solves nothing.
    The media are bone idle in this country and full of pensioners who go after low hanging fruit. We need young blood who are hungry and do proper investigative journalism instead of this sensationalist crap. This has dragged on for days now wasting everyone's time. If he transgressed impose the penalty for the said offence and move on very simple, all the rest is just media bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,354 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Field east wrote: »

Except when he wanted Paddys Day to go ahead.

In fairness if he had a negative test why would he quarantine for 2 weeks

Are we now saying testing for coronavirus is flawed. He had the test carried out a hospital too

Because those are the rules. The rest of us would have to do it - but of course the rest of us travelling out between countries are we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

the reason I bring it up is how come Martin was ok not to self isolate. I want the HSE rules explained.

Martin is treated as an essential

worker regarding his trip to the EU gathering to decide on a budget. Hogan's trip to Ireland to play golf does not fall under the essential worker category.
    Any queries you have about HSE guidelines/restrictions can be found on the HSE website. Not my job to do your research for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blueskys

Can someone clarify for me if Phil Hogan was on leave from work in the eu or is that just a normal couple of weeks for an eu commissioner, i.e more time travelling around playing golf than anything else by the looks of it.

Advertisement