Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

First Up wrote: »
    You have been banging this empty drum for some time, seemingly untroubled by any understanding of how either representative democracy or the multi- nation European Union work.

Please educate yourself and stop trotting out meaningless cliches and slogans.

Because you don't like the truth that the EU citizens do not elect the EU commissioners or the President you wish me to remain quiet?

Yes i understand its hard to face the truth. The EU Commission is a unelected selected unaccountable to its citizens organization.
    Its need to change so that the unaccountable selected elite are accountable to its citizens, this is Democracy

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Will the hotel or the organiser be prosecuted?

If these people state to the participants that the event is within the rules, should all the participants resign etc while the hotel gets off Scot free?
    If I go to some restaurant and there are 60 there instead of 50, is that my fault or theirs?

I wonder who came up with that wheeze of the partition down the middle of the room (and then made the call to pull it back before the end of the night). Surely it must have been agreed in advance at some level between the Golf Society and the hotel. Obviously it's within the hotel's power not to go along with the plan even if it was initiated by the golf club so they must be at least partially responsible for any rule-breaking.

To be fair I think they were also trying to introduce Mark's son to the great and the good of Ireland. He is a FF councillor who came 6th in the Galway East constituency in GE20. There have been calls for him to consider his position on Regional Health Forum West because of the Clifden Elite debacle.

Could they not just play zoom bingo like my whole family and get get pissed and have the craic and get to know each other inbetween each game?

The fact he hasn’t stepped down from his position already speaks volumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

dublin99 wrote: »
    What is the logic behind Hogan's claim that a negative Covid test meant he did not have to quarantine?

Look at all the countries where arrivals are ALL tested at the Airport, then released for 14 days quarantine with tracing App if test is negative, or straight to hospital if tested positive!

Logic?

You are being unreasonable talking about logic. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Despicable legislation regarding vulture funds.
    Apparently 3 reps from vulture funds were at the biggest golf game of the year.
    The Dail is hopping over sneaking it in with pandemic legislation.

https://twitter.com/annfarrelly32/status/1298521919248052224?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

mick087 wrote:
    Because you don't like the truth that the EU citizens do not elect the EU commissioners or the President you wish me to remain quiet?

No, I want you to learn what you are talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 15,128 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Yes, separation of judiciary from politics , Woulfe has made decisions to suit the political party he belongs to rather than in the interests of everyone.

So are you saying that anyone who was ever involved in democratic politics should be disbarred from the judiciary?

That's a serious charge against SW, what's your basis for it?

Yes, separation of judiciary from politics , Woulfe has made decisions to suit the political party he belongs to rather than in the interests of everyone.

That's not good if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

An actual member of FG or an FG voter?

He's a party member and club Secretary, associate of the Brutons
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/barrister-seamus-woulfe-to-replace-maire-whelan-as-attorney-general-35826003.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

mick087 wrote: »

Yes i understand its hard to face the truth. The EU Commission is a unelected selected unaccountable to its citizens organization.
    Its need to change so that the unaccountable selected elite are accountable to its citizens, this is Democracy

Its accountable to the Council of Ministers and the European Parliament.
    You have yet to tell us how you think the system should work.

• Advertisement

Walked out of local Aldi a few months ago for the same reason, they've tightened things up since but would still be uncomfortable with too many people in one place.

My local Dunnes had the check-out operators wiping down their entire work space for a few days after a woman made a complaint.

yet there is no Dunnes management or security chiding people for breaking the two metre rule. And when I say it to someone who gets too close they look at me like I lapped them with a dirty nappy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

Despicable legislation regarding vulture funds.
    Apparently 3 reps from vulture funds were at the biggest golf game of the year.
    The Dail is hopping over sneaking it in with pandemic legislation.

https://twitter.com/annfarrelly32/status/1298521919248052224?s=20

That Helen McEntee is a particularly nasty piece of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

To be fair I think they were also trying to introduce Mark's son to the great and the good of Ireland. He is a FF councillor who came 6th in the Galway East constituency in GE20. There have been calls for him to consider his position on Regional Health Forum West because of the Clifden Elite debacle.

This from todays Tuam Herald

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

The event wasn't organised just to honour Mark Killalea. It is was happening anyway. It is customary for organisations to have an honoree at such bashes. It was just his turn.

And his whole family were at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Michael O'Leary was Leader of the Labour Party and became a judge (I was up in front of him once for a parking fine which I had forgotten to pay which he let me off with just paying the original fine).

No, I want you to learn what you are talking about

No you want me to agree with what you believe.

In fairness if he had a negative test why would he quarantine for 2 weeks

Are we now saying testing for coronavirus is flawed. He had the test carried out a hospital too

Cos dems the rules. According to the website he quoted in his “apology”
    “ Do I need to quarantine?
    Most people who arrive in Ireland from another country need to restrict their movements for 14 days, including:

Returning Irish emigrants
    People with no symptoms
    People who have tested negative for the virus in another country
    Stay at home and avoid contact with other people and social situations as much as possible. You must also avoid:

Using public transport
    Visiting others
    Meeting people face-to-face who are at higher risk from COVID-19
    Going to the shop, unless you have to (wear a face covering if you do)
    The only people who do not need to restrict their movements are:

People arriving from Northern Ireland
    Aircraft crew, including pilots, in Ireland as part of their work
    Holders of a Certificate for International Transport Workers, or heavy good vehicle drivers who are in Ireland for work
    Ship crew, including the maritime master, in Ireland as part of their work
    People arriving from a country on the 'COVID-19 green list'” https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/returning_to_ireland/returning_to_Ireland_and_covid.html#lad3df

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Heres the rest of the article

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Maybe you should start another thread on the issue so...?
    There's loads of posters here who'll join in to have a good moan/bash about the EU.

There are some points that you've never addressed.

* The selection method of the commissioners is down to the member states (if we are sticking with current system where our govt. nominates one to send rather than EU level direct democracy [which you seem to like] ala the European Parliament). edit: I think you did say you wanted to keep it that Ireland (and other member states) would have 1 nominee each...perhaps not very "democratic" in your very narrow conception at an EU level.

* "Electing" the commissioners will not help remove Hogan, which is (nominally) what the thread is about. Would need other, likely extremely detrimental & damaging changes to the EU to allow Irish citizens or their political reps to remove a sitting EU commissioner from office early. Any thoughts?

Really your posting of the same thing, in almost the same words over and over brings discussion down to the levels of automated bots, not even human trolls. I'm not sneering here, just stating a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

By your standard our government are unelected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

jm08 wrote: »
    Michael O'Leary was Leader of the Labour Party and became a judge (I was up in front of him once for a parking fine which I had forgotten to pay which he let me off with just paying the original fine).

The ex-judge at the shindig, Pat McCartan was a Workers Party TD in a former life

Enough of these people being told to "consider their position".

They should be told to eff off.

And his whole family were at it.

Where else would you have expected them to be?

So you are saying he didn't pass a fair judgement on you?

He "let you off" - you got away with it?

mick087 wrote:
    No you want me to agree with what you believe.

So what do I "believe" that you don't agree with?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

no ones denying how the commission is appointed. I'm just confused as to why you want to vote for a commissioner?

Is it the principle that you want to be able to vote for everyone in political institutions?

To be honest I'm not sure that the public at large would take the time to educate themselves firstly on the workings of the commission as well as it's purpose and on each of the candidates available in each of the countries to make it an informed vote and come out with a commission that was functioning

• Registered Users Posts: 15,128 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Heres the rest of the article

Thanks for the links.

"He has made no secret of his ambition to win a Dail seat ...."

Great example of understatement seeing as he stood for FF in GE 2020 and got almost 5k first preferences.

No secret indeed.

That Helen McEntee is a particularly nasty piece of work.

She didn't catch that off the grass

• Advertisement

Its accountable to the Council of Ministers and the European Parliament.
    You have yet to tell us how you think the system should work.

Nonsense they should be accountable to its citizens as you full well know.

27 commissioners 1 for each country let the citizens of each country vote for for there commissioner.

This unelected commissioner and president nonsense must change.

Advertisement