Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

Jizique wrote: »
    Yes, the “left wing” Shinner fans are the other side of the arse cheek

Wrong again that deflection has also been used with me in this thread.

Im not Surporter of sinn fein.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

The covers for his golf clubs are made out of puppies tooo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Sound so Marc, we'll move on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Jizique

mick087 wrote: »
    Wrong again that deflection has also been used with me in this thread.

Im not Surporter of sinn fein.

I don't remember saying that you were - i was pointing out that there is a fair crossover between the euroscepticism of the Brexiters and that of SF, who let's remember, have opposed every referendum on EU matters since we joined. Obviously, Gemma and the Irish Freedom Party would also hold similar views.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

mick087 wrote:
    The unelected commissioners should look at that system maybe an elected MEP could stand for election as a commissioner is each of it states.

Commissioners are nominated as EU cabinet ministers by the (elected) governments of member states.

They are vetted and approved by the European Parliament, who are the elected representatives of member states. They are assigned portfolios by and are accountable to the President of the Commission who has also been elected by the European Parliament. They do not represent their member state.

The EU is a complex institution - it has to be. Its a pity you can't understand it but that's not a reason to change it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

Gods Gift wrote: »

titan18 wrote: »
    I've heard he kicks them after he steals them too

The missing people from the dinner list were cable tie manufacturers. It’s a billion euro business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Hogan has no honour and should be ashamed of himself. This sorry episode has shown him up as a liar and a self entitled buffoon. If I was Ursula, I'd want rid of him now, how could you trust anything that came out of his mouth. That its gone on this long has got quite embarrassing, I was on a call to colleagues in the UK this morning and everyone of them knew about it, this does not look good for the commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Gods Gift wrote: »

The club's themselves are made from recycled water meters

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Muahahaha wrote: »
    He stopped in Roscommon so he could sell the litter of puppies that he stole in Kilkenny. It hasnt come out yet but Phil Hogan is actually one of Europes biggest dealers of stolen puppies and he uses his EU Commissioner job as cover for whats really going on.

At this stage I'd put nothing past him, the reality seems to be out doing the fantasy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Akabusi wrote: »
    Hogan has no honour and should be ashamed of himself. This sorry episode has shown him up as a liar and a self entitled buffoon. If I was Ursula, I'd want rid of him now, how could you trust anything that came out of his mouth. That its gone on this long has got quite embarrassing, I was on a call to colleagues in the UK this morning and everyone of them knew about it, this does not look good for the commission.

It’s quite ironic that 99% of people here thought Dominic Cummings should resign. When it’s one of our own it’s entirely more nuanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Can you be sure that the instinct of the majority of British people to vote to leave the EU may not prove the right one in the long run?
    Are you really sure the international stage especially the middle east or the US domestic stage for that matter would be in a more peaceful or better state had that vile woman beaten Trump 4 years ago? You can't know and frankly I find posts like this more than a little patronising

I'm intrigued to know why you have such a strong dislike of Hilary Clinton?

Akabusi wrote: »

Well, it doesn't look good for the Commission that a member state is pushing to get one of its Commissioners sacked. She has been put in a very awkward situation and if she does sack him, will create a precident that could cause instability in the EU Commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It’s quite ironic that 99% of people here thought Dominic Cummings should resign. When it’s one of our own it’s entirely more nuanced.

Cummings had more to do with covid restrictions in being Boris' chief advisor than Hogan does as an EU commissioner tbf.

It's reasonable to expect a resignation if someone is making or preaching about COVID rules. Not reasonable to expect someone with nothing to do with the restrictions to resign after breaking them. Going to be some amount of unemployment here if we go that route as a punishment for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

jm08 wrote: »
    Well, it doesn't look good for the Commission that a member state is pushing to get one of its Commissioners sacked. She has been put in a very awkward situation and if she does sack him, will create a precident that could cause instability in the EU Commission.

Well then the message will be 'don't step out of line'.Cant really see a problem with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

Phil "Walter Mitty" Hogan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Jizique

Well, 90% of people here seem to want him to resign, or even better, be fired lose his job.
    One difference is that Cummings was driving policy in the UK whereas Hogan was here on holidays and does not set policy and should not be as familiar with the ins and outs of the regulations as the Judge or the Minister.
    I know i would be p*ssed off if came home on holidays from Germany and some snitches (or touts as the SF brigade might call them) started sending e-mails to my boss saying that i misbehaved or broke guidelines while here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The club's themselves are made from recycled water meters

I didnt believe this when I first read it but having looked at the below picture you can only conclude that his clubs are indeed made from recycled water meters

SN-DC-HOGAN-4.jpg

Or make them all behave.

Hogan is not our commissioner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Dominic Cummings is a political "adviser" to the UK PM, supposedly a very powerful one if various media accounts are true with as much say over UKs Corona response/restrictions etc as Boris's own cabinet ministers. Situation may be more equivalent with that of domestic politicians or judges etc attending the dinner than with Hogan IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

titan18 wrote: »
    I've heard he kicks them after he steals them too
    I heard that he particularly likes taking ones who have been trained for blind kids. Roy Keane has made a threat on his life. That's why he keeps moving from hotel to hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I'm intrigued to know why you have such a strong dislike of Hilary Clinton?

Well for a start she was one of the primary movers in the annihilation and bombing of a country allmost back into the stone age, its now a haven for training terrorists, full of bandits and people smuggling gangs, she by her and her allies actions are responsible for the reintroduction of slavery to that country in the 21st century, a matter of kilometres from the EUs border.Im no Trump fan but for heavens sake she gets far too easy a ride in this country. Any critical look at her career would reveal much

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

she gets far too easy a ride in this country.

I thought her husband was the one for the easy rides.

s42ggnIKIqg8.gif

Well for a start she was one of the primary movers in the annihilation and bombing of a country allmost back into the stone age, its now a haven for training terrorists, full of bandits and people smuggling gangs, she by her and her allies actions are responsible for the reintroduction of slavery to that country in the 21st century, a matter of kilometres from the EUs border.Im no Trump fan but for heavens sake she gets far too easy a ride in this country. Any critical look at her career would reveal much

You say that as though Irish people can do something about it?

Comment and discuss by all means but there is nothing else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

What’s Phil handicap? Apart from being Phil Hogan.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

seamus wrote: »
    He won't, he's finished.

EU Commissioners are appointed on the recommendation of the member state's government. Even if Phil hadn't misled the EU President, he's lost the confidence of his member state. The institutions in Brussels are acutely aware of the optics of this.

Phil will head off now and take up a senior position in some financial company or body.

They are fully aware of the optics, and part of the optics is that they do not wish a member state's confidence to have anything to do with a commissioners position. They do not want member state politics affecting the commission.

If he goes, it will be because of damaging the image of the commission. Ireland's view on the matter will be given very little weight.

From what I understand, all the US's NATO colleagues were screaming for the US to intervene because Gadaffi was slaughtering his own citizens. It was also UN Security backed and NATO also got involved. I don't know why you are singling her out for causing the problem for Europe when countries like France and the UK were pressing her to intervene.

fly_agaric wrote: »
    Dominic Cummings is a political "adviser" to the UK PM, supposedly a very powerful one if various media accounts are true with as much say over UKs Corona response/restrictions etc as Boris's own cabinet ministers. Situation may be more equivalent with that of domestic politicians or judges etc attending the dinner than with Hogan IMO.

You would say it's entirely different. Let's see what's similar.
    • They both broke covid restrictions.
    • They both scrambled for loopholes in the restrictions.
    • They both issued public apologies
    • They both subsequently got caught in their lies.
    • The both embarrassed their government
    • They are both crucial in drafting legislation (EU for Phil, UK for DC)
    • They both gave people an excuse to flout the regulations.
    • They both put weight behind the mantra of one rule for us, one for you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

You would say it's entirely different. Let's see what's similar.
    • They both broke covid restrictions.
    • They both scrambled for loopholes in the restrictions.
    • They both issued public apologies
    • They both subsequently got caught in their lies.
    • The both embarrassed their government
    • They are both crucial in drafting legislation (EU for Phil, UK for DC)
    • They both gave people an excuse to flout the regulations.
    • They both put weight behind the mantra of one rule for us, one for you.

One was heavily involved in drafting the regulations he broke, and one had nothing to do with them whatsoever. It is a fundamental difference whether you choose to acknowledge it or not.

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »
    One was heavily involved in drafting the regulations he broke, and one had nothing to do with them whatsoever. It is a fundamental difference whether you choose to acknowledge it or not.

So if a politician murders someone it's grand because he didn't draft the regulation? That's the bar now?

Advertisement