Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Jizique

So if a politician murders someone it's grand because he didn't draft the regulation? That's the bar now?

There is a difference.
    All last week, until the Examiner broke the news, all we heard from the media was how confusing the new regulations (or is it guidance) was - then suddenly, it is totally clear, and everyone should know the precise details.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

So if a politician murders someone it's grand because he didn't draft the regulation? That's the bar now?

If they murdered someone they would not be tried and convicted by public opinion. They would get a day in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭tigger123

jm08 wrote: »
    If they murdered someone they would not be tried and convicted by public opinion. They would get a day in court.

Phil Hogan could be in court yet; An Garda Siochana haven't completed their investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

mick087 wrote: »
    Well apart from The unelected commissioners id look at Judges Garda Commissioners.

That is sheer arrogance
    "examples of the general population not knowing what's best. (Brexit, Trump, Bolsanaro etc) Some things need to be insulated from the fickleness of public opinion and misinformation"

Im not happy with these people myself but they was elected by its own citizens. If the people are not happy they can vote them out.
    You might not like these people i might not like them but it was the citizens choice. The citizens gave them power the citizens can take that power away.

Citizens gave them power based on lies and misinformation. Is that really a fair election then?

you want to elect judges?

Would not accept that there are some posts that require a skill set and competencies that is outside the popularity context of an election?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Well for a start she was one of the primary movers in the annihilation and bombing of a country allmost back into the stone age, its now a haven for training terrorists, full of bandits and people smuggling gangs, she by her and her allies actions are responsible for the reintroduction of slavery to that country in the 21st century, a matter of kilometres from the EUs border.Im no Trump fan but for heavens sake she gets far too easy a ride in this country. Any critical look at her career would reveal much

Obama gave her that position to shore up support.

She then used it to start a war and use Gaddafi's killing as grounds for becoming president.

Both Clinton's are crooked beyond belief. Follow Ghislaine Maxwell's case. It will be their downfall.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If a politician murders someone they will have bigger problems then whether or not to resign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

Jizique wrote: »
    I don't remember saying that you were - i was pointing out that there is a fair crossover between the euroscepticism of the Brexiters and that of SF, who let's remember, have opposed every referendum on EU matters since we joined. Obviously, Gemma and the Irish Freedom Party would also hold similar views.

No you didn't but you left a remake to imply i did.
    That is know as a deflection

Im not a brexiteer or irexiter im not in SF and they would not get my vote. I would not surport Irish Freedom Party.

Can you be sure that the instinct of the majority of British people to vote to leave the EU may not prove the right one in the long run?
    Are you really sure the international stage especially the middle east or the US domestic stage for that matter would be in a more peaceful or better state had that vile woman beaten Trump 4 years ago? You can't know and frankly I find posts like this more than a little patronising

It may or may not prove to be the right decision in the long run. The purpose of my mentioning brexit is that it's not a debate that the leave campaign was full of lies, misdirection and shady use of personal data. Same with Trump, who would not have won if it wasn't for the Russian interference releasing her hacked emails. Vile is a bit of an over statement for her, no one in the position she had in Us politics is ever whiter than white.

By all means be patronised and offended if you like. I can't help it if you're sensitive to someone else's opinion on what constitutes a bad decision.
    Well for a start she was one of the primary movers in the annihilation and bombing of a country allmost back into the stone age, its now a haven for training terrorists, full of bandits and people smuggling gangs, she by her and her allies actions are responsible for the reintroduction of slavery to that country in the 21st century, a matter of kilometres from the EUs border.Im no Trump fan but for heavens sake she gets far too easy a ride in this country. Any critical look at her career would reveal much

Both bush presidents made a mess of iraq and the middle east, which is operating much the same way inside the caliphate now. what's your point?

She gets an easy ride because she was never elected president. Trump gets a harsh ride because he's been in what was formerly one of the most respected jobs in the world until he took over

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭golfball37

Im not a brexiteer or irexiter im not in SF and they would not get my vote. I would not surport Irish Freedom Party.

That’s what debate has been reduced to sadly in Ireland. Any anti EU sentiment sees you reduced to a level they can look down on.

tigger123 wrote: »
    Phil Hogan could be in court yet; An Garda Siochana haven't completed their investigation.

In court for what?
    Driving while using a mobile phone: This driving infringement incurs 2 penalty points and a fixed-charge of €60.

• Advertisement

So basically you are against everything and for nothing.
    Have you yet told us how the EU Commission should be formed?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

According to the FG posters a member of IFP is acceptable as a judge,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

He clearly has a very powerful job and probably a lot of enemies.
    He acted like an entitled gob****e and that doesn't sit well with people.
    I don't like him over the water ****e (don't think many do).
    If he is doing good for Europe and for Ireland by extension then that's good.
    He come's across like an arse hole but if he really is doing good. (would love to see where he is directly helping EU citizen interests)

Looks like someone wanted rid of him for what reason I honestly just don't know.
    Given trade tensions with US and UK it's not surprising now everyone knows what he had for breakfast and at what time.
    The Taoiseach and Tanaiste kinda hanged him, that in of itself is strange.

Jury is still out in my mind.

He was talking about removing Pharma tariffs for US companies importing to EU. That would mean a lot of US Pharma companies could move production back to US. There's one reason we might want him gone.

Mercosur, there's another.
    My message to Ambassador Lightizer is that we can reduce tariffs on pharmaceutical and medical, we can frame standards on technology and we can work together on WTO. As soon as the US and EU came together, China did a 180-degree spin. We are losing a lot by not working together.

Look at the EU-Mercosur 2019 deal. It is the largest geopolitical agreement ever made. It’s another example of where we hear from the losers, not the winners. €5 billion of trade subsidies are being eliminated are well as the elimination of barriers to trade. The agreement ensures that countries like Brazil have signed-up to the Paris Climate Agreement.
    In addition to Mercosur, we are also upgrading existing agreements with Chile, Colombia, Ecuador and Mexico.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/commissioners/2019-2024/hogan/announcements/extracts-commissioner-phil-hogans-remarks-european-american-chamber-commerce-event-transatlantic_en

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

Yes they would.

First Up wrote: »
    The EU is a complex institution - it has to be. Its a pity you can't understand it but that's not a reason to change it.

But i do understand it and no its not complex one bit. Its the unaccountable unelected selected elite who believe they know whats best for its citizens.
    Change make them accountable to its citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

From what I understand, all the US's NATO colleagues were screaming for the US to intervene because Gadaffi was slaughtering his own citizens. It was also UN Security backed and NATO also got involved. I don't know why you are singling her out for causing the problem for Europe when countries like France and the UK were pressing her to intervene.
    I am not singling her out but the records show she actively supported the Libyan intervention, convincing Obama to support the rebels with a no - fly zone. There were 2 chances of a ceasefire which were shot down by Clinton while she met the leaders of the Lybian muslim brotherhood in Paris and continued to support arms shipments to the rebels.the fruits of the mayhem she and her cohorts have brought to the middle east are still in evidence today, not forgetting the part she played in the murder of an American ambassador. I can not not believe any of those particapants in the fracturing of Lybia had the best interests of the Lybian people at heart, follow the money as they say. I spent time working and living in that country and mark my words it saddens me to see what that country (not perfect by any means in Quadaffis time) has been reduced to and that lady has played a large part in its destruction. I'll say no more on the subject as this thread is supposed to be about Hogan and his shenanagins and buffoonery

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

He come's across like an arse hole but if he really is doing good. (would love to see where he is directly helping EU citizen interests)

Looks like someone wanted rid of him for what reason I honestly just don't know.
    Given trade tensions with US and UK it's not surprising now everyone knows what he had for breakfast and at what time.

He is an EU citizen himself so you need look no further

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭golfball37

But i do understand it and no its not complex one bit. Its the unaccountable unelected selected elite who believe they know whats best for its citizens.

I don’t see how that’s anything but a sensible view.

But there are checks and balances (EU Council of Ministers and the European Parliament who have to approve the workplan and Commissioners).

He was talking about removing Pharma tariffs for US companies importing to EU. That would mean a lot of US Pharma companies could move production back to US. There's one reason we might want him gone.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/commissioners/2019-2024/hogan/announcements/extracts-commissioner-phil-hogans-remarks-european-american-chamber-commerce-event-transatlantic_en

I think the only reason that's still going on is that it's taking the media attention away from the government at the moment

They are approved by and accountable to the parliament which is voted for by the people of europe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

But there are checks and balances (EU Council of Ministers and the European Parliament who have to approve the workplan and Commissioners).

Stop posting the truth. That's unacceptable here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

How did Hogan afford an apartment in the K Club? They cost 420,000 Euros.

You would say it's entirely different. Let's see what's similar.
    • They both broke covid restrictions.
    • They both scrambled for loopholes in the restrictions.
    • They both issued public apologies
    • They both subsequently got caught in their lies.
    • The both embarrassed their government
    • They are both crucial in drafting legislation (EU for Phil, UK for DC)
    • They both gave people an excuse to flout the regulations.
    • They both put weight behind the mantra of one rule for us, one for you.

I agree some will say anything to protect the unelected elite.

Rules for one rules for another.

Both should of been sacked and not given the chance to resign.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭Allinall

How did Hogan afford an apartment in the K Club? They cost 420,000 Euros.

I heard he got it off the council, and only pays €30 a week in rent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 387 ✭✭Ta ceist agam

WOW! DID NOT EXPECT THIS!!

524369.png

I am not singling her out but the records show she actively supported the Libyan intervention, convincing Obama to support the rebels with a no - fly zone. There were 2 chances of a ceasefire which were shot down by Clinton while she met the leaders of the Lybian muslim brotherhood in Paris and continued to support arms shipments to the rebels.the fruits of the mayhem she and her cohorts have brought to the middle east are still in evidence today, not forgetting the part she played in the murder of an American ambassador. I can not not believe any of those particapants in the fracturing of Lybia had the best interests of the Lybian people at heart, follow the money as they say. I spent time working and living in that country and mark my words it saddens me to see what that country (not perfect by any means in Quadaffis time) has been reduced to and that lady has played a large part in its destruction. I'll say no more on the subject as this thread is supposed to be about Hogan and his shenanagins and buffoonery

Didn't the Libyan people want Gaddafi to go and he wouldn't?
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-libya-usa-clinton/clinton-says-gaddafi-must-go-idUSTRE71Q1JA20110228

• Registered Users Posts: 10,081 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Allinall wrote: »
    I heard he got it off the council, and only pays €30 a week in rent.

He gets the single parent allowance too, even though his son is grown up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

mick087 wrote:
    But i do understand it and no its not complex one bit. Its the unaccountable unelected selected elite who believe they know whats best for its citizens. Change make them accountable to its citizens.

I see you haven't yet bothered to learn about how representative democracy works.

You really should; all sorts of things will suddenly start to make sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

It might be Phil's porkies that eventually seals his fate...

https://www.facebook.com/45441411157/posts/10157720628616158/

• Advertisement

That's permissible under the restrict movements regulation?

It was changed from full self isolation before he arrived in Ireland

Advertisement