Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Handicap

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

charlieIRL wrote: »
    do they have to be at your home course though??

would definitely be up for a few rounds in Corballis though.

That I don't know. Hopefully someone else on here will tell us for sure. But all I can say is that I got my 0.1 back that day so I'm guessing it counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

charlieIRL wrote: »
    do they have to be at your home course though??

would definitely be up for a few rounds in Corballis though.
    No. But afaik, you should have three at your home club in order to get competition status and after that they can be anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

JoeCole26 wrote: »
    I’d say a 9 handicap. Let us know how you get on.

9 is what I got.

I was abroad for a number of years and my handicap away finished as 9 so that was taken into account I imagine. Off 9 having to hole out all putts as we do in Ireland vs the casual gimme golf that still counts for handicap that I’ve been used to when away may take a while to get my head around but looking forward to the challenge!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,948 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

ThunderCat wrote: »
    Looking back over my own playing activity and I can see I played in an away counting comp in Corballis in Jan 2019 so I'm guessing they probably have counting comps all year round there. Don't know where you are based but you could perhaps get in a couple of comps there as late as Christmas if you were still stuck in order to secure your handicap. You might see me out there with you. Pair of us in Santa hats hacking away.

With the new handicap system coming in November counting comps are year round everywhere so you should have plenty of time.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭IAmTitleist

I do quite enjoy going out in the winter months playing the odd round here or there knowing the pressure of playing for 0.1 isn't on the line.

Weeks/months could pass between me playing.

This new system could potentially make me play less given that i will have to play relatively well all winter too to maintain my handicap, something which is much more difficult if you're playing sporadically rather than regularly during summer.

Not looking forward to the new system to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

prawnsambo wrote: »
    No. But afaik, you should have three at your home club in order to get competition status and after that they can be anywhere.

what would happen if you didn't?

Sorry for going off topic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

I do quite enjoy going out in the winter months playing the odd round here or there knowing the pressure of playing for 0.1 isn't on the line.

Weeks/months could pass between me playing.

This new system could potentially make me play less given that i will have to play relatively well all winter too to maintain my handicap, something which is much more difficult if you're playing sporadically rather than regularly during summer.

Not looking forward to the new system to be honest.

Interesting to see how they deal with this to be honest. Whilst I love winter golf, and under the old system would have no fear of a .1 back at Corballis, .1 actually ended up being limited enough with Qualifying reduction only thrown in plenty of the time of the weather was inclement.

Under the new system, a competent low teens handicap golfer could easily go out for some casual winter golf and shoot 4 rounds out of 5 in the mid 90s, and come back in spring having turned their 13 into a 16.

As a generalisation, Americans are much more fairweather about their golf, whilst people do play year round particularly in southern states where the weather is good all year, golfers in the big population centres in the northeast and Midwest don’t golf from October to April as most courses shut or as good as shut. so the US handicap system which we are effectively adopting here, doesn’t need to ever cater for bad weather golf at all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blue note

I think you'd be a fool to let a new handicap system ever put you off playing. If your handicap goes up (or down) so what? Maybe it'll be the case that it'll go up a couple of shots over the winter and back down those shots in summer.

A low handicap is a nice thing to chase, I won't pretend it's not. But not if it puts you off playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

You can still play casuals with no impact on your handicap. Its not like America where all rounds must be recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,972 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

With the new handicap system coming in November counting comps are year round everywhere so you should have plenty of time.

But are they?
    We don’t know this yet for certain

• Advertisement

Seve OB wrote: »
    But are they?
    Can't see how this could be if there's placing in the rough, mats and other winter rule changes that aren't eligible for qualifying comps.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,972 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Can't see how this could be if there's placing in the rough, mats and other winter rule changes that aren't eligible for qualifying comps.

Indeed and there has been nothing from the GUI to indicate that they will be qualifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,948 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Seve OB wrote: »
    But are they?

Yeah true nothing definite from the GUI, I'd imagine they'd follow the UK but who knows.

They'd want to get the finger out it's just over a month away. Nobody in my club has a clue about it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cowboyjoe

Would appreciate any response to similar issue to OP. Handed 3 cards in June - one best ever round had 2 birdies, so first time handicap I get was 13. Have now played approx 10 open/comps since July with 9 straight 0.1 increases to get me to 14 now. I have not got over 23 points in those 10 comps. My ND in these comps have been between 12-18. None lower at all. Handicap secretary won't increase me, as he says every new member will be looking for same and WHS goes live 2 Nov. So wait til then.
    My question is, how much can I expect the WHS to change my handicap, if at all. Totally demoralizing knowing you are gonna score poorly every proper comp/round.

cowboyjoe wrote: »
    Would appreciate any response to similar issue to OP. Handed 3 cards in June - one best ever round had 2 birdies, so first time handicap I get was 13. Have now played approx 10 open/comps since July with 9 straight 0.1 increases to get me to 14 now. I have not got over 23 points in those 10 comps. My ND in these comps have been between 12-18. None lower at all. Handicap secretary won't increase me, as he says every new member will be looking for same and WHS goes live 2 Nov. So wait til then.
    My question is, how much can I expect the WHS to change my handicap, if at all. Totally demoralizing knowing you are gonna score poorly every proper comp/round.
    I've often said this here when people talk about bandits. It's far far harder to get a handicap up to your playing level than the other way around. It took me 18 months and an annual review adjustment of two strokes before I was able to play close to my handicap.

Your WHS handicap will be based on the best 8 of your last twenty rounds. So you should expect an adjustment to something more in line with your ability. But get as many rounds in as possible before the change to make sure you have enough data points to get this as accurate as possible. To work it out yourself, you'd need your course and slope ratings and all your individual hole scores to get an adjusted gross score from which you can calculate your handicap index.
    Yeah true nothing definite from the GUI, I'd imagine they'd follow the UK but who knows.

They'd want to get the finger out it's just over a month away. Nobody in my club has a clue about it.

A new Rules of Handicapping booklet was sent out to golf clubs in the last couple of weeks. Rule 2 deals with scores acceptable for handicap purposes. As I said above, it pretty much mirrors what are currently the rules for qualifying and non-qualifying scores. One of which being rounds played during the 'active season'.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cowboyjoe

I've often said this here when people talk about bandits. It's far far harder to get a handicap up to your playing level than the other way around. It took me 18 months and an annual review adjustment of two strokes before I was able to play close to my handicap.

Your WHS handicap will be based on the best 8 of your last twenty rounds. So you should expect an adjustment to something more in line with your ability. But get as many rounds in as possible before the change to make sure you have enough data points to get this as accurate as possible. To work it out yourself, you'd need your course and slope ratings and all your individual hole scores to get an adjusted gross score from which you can calculate your handicap index.

Thanks for the reply. Do you know is there any upper limit to what the WHS can change your handicap up or down. Read something about your HC can only change 3 shots in any calendar year.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Thanks for the reply. Do you know is there any upper limit to what the WHS can change your handicap up or down. Read something about your HC can only change 3 shots in any calendar year.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭JoeCole26

I am in the exact same boat. I’ve completed 9 rounds now all 30 and less. I’m going to send an email to the handicap committee during the week. Last time I spoke to them they were fairly unhelpful, even when I talked through where I thought they adjusted for my original card incorrectly as per the CONGU guideline. Shocking that they said they wouldn’t review and to wait until the new system comes in. Very demoralising. I thought the GUI would want to attract players to take up golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Some clubs seem intent on making sure they give new people 4-5 shots lower in some cases to ensure they dont win too early

If anything my club gives the exact handicaps as per the calculation without any reference

Hi all,

Has anyone ever received a handicap review upwards? As mentioned here, i was given a handicap when i joined a new club and have been getting nowhere near my handicap. 28points last weekend, which is my 8th consecutive round 30 or below.

I think i will reach out to the handicap committee at my club for a review but wondering am i wasting my time?

I know the CONGU guide states below, but it only states them to "consider"

"Equally, there is a continuous handicap review. If a player returns 7 consecutive cards over buffer
    zone, the handicap committee will be prompted to review the player’s performance and consider if
    an immediate increase in handicap is warranted"

Just interested in peoples thoughts. Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Has anyone ever received a handicap review upwards? As mentioned here, i was given a handicap when i joined a new club and have been getting nowhere near my handicap. 28points last weekend, which is my 8th consecutive round 30 or below.

I think i will reach out to the handicap committee at my club for a review but wondering am i wasting my time?

"Equally, there is a continuous handicap review. If a player returns 7 consecutive cards over buffer
    zone, the handicap committee will be prompted to review the player’s performance and consider if

I never heard of that rule and have only heard of people getting shots by at an annual handicap review.

I'd point the club towards that rule though and see if they could review. It's not fair for people to have handicaps they can't get near.

Coming in with less than 30 points every week sucks the enjoyment out of the game.

blue note wrote: »
    I never heard of that rule and have only heard of people getting shots by at an annual handicap review.

I'd point the club towards that rule though and see if they could review. It's not fair for people to have handicaps they can't get near.

Coming in with less than 30 points every week sucks the enjoyment out of the game.
    I think most of the software packages have these alerts built in. So you get a reminder if there's a player with a certain number of consecutive 0.1s etc.

I'm fairly sure that any proposed upward change has to be notified to the GUI first.

I think most of the software packages have these alerts built in. So you get a reminder if there's a player with a certain number of consecutive 0.1s etc.

I'm fairly sure that any proposed upward change has to be notified to the GUI first.

I presume the reason for this is to keep people interested in the game, otherwise, as in my case you are constantly facing an uphill battle every week and there is no enjoyment in it and dont bother joining the following year. It makes sense for everyone to have a handicap that is relative to their ability whether thats too high or too low. Hopefully, the new system coming in November will solve all this.

I suspect it's built in too. But clubs don't like guys having high handicaps and winning. You need a change in the club pysche for it. If those guys practice hard and get better then the club should be delighted to see them in the prizes a couple of times. But I think if a guy has a handicap of 20 and keeps improving his scores until he can play to it a lot of people would say the club is proved right and he was capable of improving and playing to it.

But I'd love to get to single figures and do believe it's in me. But it's not a handicap I could play off now.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

What is going to happen with the new handicap system if I have had exceptional cuts. I was off 23 last October and got cut straight to 15 after the winter as I improved loads by the time qualifying started again. From the start of the year I have slowly come down but I have been cut a full shot twice for shooting better than my handicap 3 times in a row. I am now down to 9. If I go back through my best 8 scores out of the last 20 they won't have enough to average out to 9 as I have been cut full shots for exceptional scoring. Is it likely my new handicap will be a few shots higher than 9 or do they make adjustments.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

So just 5 mins ago found out my new handicap is 5.9 which is lower than I thought it would be

Cards of 78/79/79 but SS was 70 each day so was expecting maybe 7 as thats what I was off 8 years ago when I was last playing...

Need to do some serious tightening up over the winter now to play to that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Rippeditup wrote: »
    So just 5 mins ago found out my new handicap is 5.9 which is lower than I thought it would be

Cards of 78/79/79 but SS was 70 each day so was expecting maybe 7 as thats what I was off 8 years ago when I was last playing...

It's 1 shot. 6 comps and you be off where you expected :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Hi all,

Here is a novel idea, instead of wasting energy on trying to get shots back maybe you just focus on the golf?

Seems to me you have decided you can't play to the handicap as mentally you had decided prior what handicap you are at rather than what was allocated. It was pointed out on another thread your handicap is about right based on the submitted cards and I'm assuming you have a shot back due to the .1s.

My suggestion is get the fcuk on with it as that 84 card clearly indicates you can play a bit of golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

It's 1 shot. 6 comps and you be off where you expected :D

Boom .. performance goals!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Rippeditup wrote: »

You obviously played too good!!!!
    When I came back from New Zealand a few years ago; I shot 12-14 over in my 3 cards and was given a handicap of 8. I hadn’t played in 5 years and my previous would have been around the 5.5 mark. I did a little campaigning for more shots back as I knew the handicap secretary.

Was given 7.5 and in my first comp off it, I went out and shot 7 over and got cut straight away!!!

I’m away from Ireland again now and my last handicap was once again 5.6 or so so I’ll be interested to see how this new system works to compile new handicape. Hopefully I’ll be back in Ireland sooner rather than later

Advertisement