Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Handicap

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

You obviously played too good!!!!
    When I came back from New Zealand a few years ago; I shot 12-14 over in my 3 cards and was given a handicap of 8. I hadn’t played in 5 years and my previous would have been around the 5.5 mark. I did a little campaigning for more shots back as I knew the handicap secretary.

Was given 7.5 and in my first comp off it, I went out and shot 7 over and got cut straight away!!!

I’m away from Ireland again now and my last handicap was once again 5.6 or so so I’ll be interested to see how this new system works to compile new handicape. Hopefully I’ll be back in Ireland sooner rather than later

I was low when young down to .5 when 16-20 years old but thats a long long long time ago.. Was off 7 about 8 years ago when I finished so wasn't expecting lower than that with scores of 8/9 shots above SSS but is what it is...

Goal is to get back down anyhows and know I can play to this easily with some winter work on the short game as hitting 14+ GIR the last few rounds and putting has been actign up so got a putter fitting done..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Rippeditup wrote: »
    So just 5 mins ago found out my new handicap is 5.9 which is lower than I thought it would be

Cards of 78/79/79 but SS was 70 each day so was expecting maybe 7 as thats what I was off 8 years ago when I was last playing...

Need to do some serious tightening up over the winter now to play to that
    When you say SS, do you mean CSS? Because that has no bearing on handicap allocation. SSS would have a bearing if it's different from par. So a par 72 course with SSS at 73 for example. If your course is par 72 (SSS 72), I would have calculated your handicap at 5.5 from those cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

prawnsambo wrote: »
    When you say SS, do you mean CSS? Because that has no bearing on handicap allocation. SSS would have a bearing if it's different from par. So a par 72 course with SSS at 73 for example. If your course is par 72 (SSS 72), I would have calculated your handicap at 5.5 from those cards.

Par is 71 for the course but SS is 70 if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭JoeCole26

Here is a novel idea, instead of wasting energy on trying to get shots back maybe you just focus on the golf?

Seems to me you have decided you can't play to the handicap as mentally you had decided prior what handicap you are at rather than what was allocated. It was pointed out on another thread your handicap is about right based on the submitted cards and I'm assuming you have a shot back due to the .1s.

My suggestion is get the fcuk on with it as that 84 card clearly indicates you can play a bit of golf.

Absolutely, you’re right and I am trying to play to my handicap, I would love to be able to play to it at least once every 10 rounds. I am getting lessons and getting out once or twice a week so it’s not from the lack of effort. I’m just asking the question really and above guideline in the rules is there for a reason - where a situation arises where someone is playing no where near their handicap it can be reviewed otherwise people are going to stop playINF the sport if they aren’t enjoying it. It’s in the rules so I don’t know what the big deal is with clubs not using it where applicable.

JoeCole26 wrote: »
    Absolutely, you’re right and I am trying to play to my handicap, I would love to be able to play to it at least once every 10 rounds. I am getting lessons and getting out once or twice a week so it’s not from the lack of effort. I’m just asking the question really and above guideline in the rules is there for a reason - where a situation arises where someone is playing no where near their handicap it can be reviewed otherwise people are going to stop playINF the sport if they aren’t enjoying it. It’s in the rules so I don’t know what the big deal is with clubs not using it where applicable.
    With two months to go, it's probably time to forget about the current system and its flaws and concentrate on preparing for the new WHS. My advice is to get as many scores as possible on your record, supplementary scores also count, so if you're going out for a casual round and want to have that score recorded, note it before you go out and return your scorecard when you're finished. Most of the software systems allow for signing in for a supplementary score before you tee off.

WHS will 'look back' up to three years, but it's best to have more current scores to get an accurate handicap index.

Edit: Just to note (although you probably already know this) that supplementary scores require a marker - even though they don't sign cards currently - for the score to count.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭finglashoop

With two months to go, it's probably time to forget about the current system and its flaws and concentrate on preparing for the new WHS. My advice is to get as many scores as possible on your record, supplementary scores also count, so if you're going out for a casual round and want to have that score recorded, note it before you go out and return your scorecard when you're finished. Most of the software systems allow for signing in for a supplementary score before you tee off.

WHS will 'look back' up to three years, but it's best to have more current scores to get an accurate handicap index.

Edit: Just to note (although you probably already know this) that supplementary scores require a marker - even though they don't sign cards currently - for the score to count.

Where in howdidido do you add casual rounds?

Where in howdidido do you add casual rounds?
    I'm not familiar enough with HowDidIDo to be definitive about this, but I would imagine it can be found in 'Today's Golf' on the app or website. It may need to be enabled at the back end (assuming the feature is present on the system).

But you can also just declare it to whoever is minding the pro shop before you go out and (if this is a requirement of your club) sign the book indicating a supplementary score and hand in your card afterwards. Pretty much the same procedure as if you were handing in cards for an initial handicap.

Edit: Found this on their website from a few months ago (it's not dated, but seems to be from early lockdown era) which suggests that it was a feature they were going to add in a few weeks (from whenever the article was published):

"Future enhancements, available within the next few weeks will allow marker score input and auto-conformation, supplementary scores..."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭finglashoop

I'm not familiar enough with HowDidIDo to be definitive about this, but I would imagine it can be found in 'Today's Golf' on the app or website. It may need to be enabled at the back end (assuming the feature is present on the system).

But you can also just declare it to whoever is minding the pro shop before you go out and (if this is a requirement of your club) sign the book indicating a supplementary score and hand in your card afterwards. Pretty much the same procedure as if you were handing in cards for an initial handicap.

Edit: Found this on their website from a few months ago (it's not dated, but seems to be from early lockdown era) which suggests that it was a feature they were going to add in a few weeks (from whenever the article was published):

"Future enhancements, available within the next few weeks will allow marker score input and auto-conformation, supplementary scores..."

Will ask in pro shop.

Not a fan of casual rounds so supplementary means im always aiming for a decent score

Advertisement