Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise Complaint

Options
  • 21-08-2020 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

I live in an apartment and within the complex is a Supervalu. When the initial lockdown started they started receiving deliveries at 3 or 4 am. The thing is they are bringing the deliveries in through the front door and not using the loading dock at the back of the shop.

The noise the truck makes (tail lift going up/down, pulling the trolleys off the truck, they leave the fridge on too for a period of time) is becoming quite unbearable and waking my partner and I at this time (3 or 4 am) since March.

We understood they had to take in extra deliveries due to the situation.

We didn't ring to complain until June when it was back to some kind of normality.

My problem is why aren't they using the loading dock. I have rang the shop over 20 times and each time they say they'll contact Musgraves to have the drivers park away from the shop but nothing ever changes. When they receive deliveries during the day sometimes it can be only a matter of hours after their early morning deliveries they use the loading dock at the rear of the shop...

I have also contacted the council - they more or less said there was nothing they could do... yet they are making noise in a residential area at stupid times.

Is there anything anyone can suggest or advise, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

mickbetty9 wrote: »
    Hi,

I live in an apartment and within the complex is a Supervalu. When the initial lockdown started they started receiving deliveries at 3 or 4 am. The thing is they are bringing the deliveries in through the front door and not using the loading dock at the back of the shop.

The noise the truck makes (tail lift going up/down, pulling the trolleys off the truck, they leave the fridge on too for a period of time) is becoming quite unbearable and waking my partner and I at this time (3 or 4 am) since March.

We understood they had to take in extra deliveries due to the situation.

We didn't ring to complain until June when it was back to some kind of normality.

My problem is why aren't they using the loading dock. I have rang the shop over 20 times and each time they say they'll contact Musgraves to have the drivers park away from the shop but nothing ever changes. When they receive deliveries during the day sometimes it can be only a matter of hours after their early morning deliveries they use the loading dock at the rear of the shop...

I have also contacted the council - they more or less said there was nothing they could do... yet they are making noise in a residential area at stupid times.

Put the complaint in writing to Musgrave's directly and also to Supervalu head office. Either by email or the old fashioned way.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

They may be in breach of a planning condition, you can get the full application and details of conditions in the final grant of pp online. They could also be in breach of some other bylaws. Find out, and complain directly to the local authority.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Contact in this order ;

The shop and ask can they accommodate the residents of the block.
    Musgraves as owners.
    Environmental Health Section of council under the noise pollution laws.
    Possible planning breach of it was conditioned for deliveries to rear only.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

mickbetty9 wrote: »
    Hi,

Try getting up at 3am one morning and meeting the drivers and store staff. Explain the problem, and ask why they can't use the loading dock. You will make your point by being there at that time, and you will get a direct answer, not some platitude from a head office. It doesn't need to be confrontational, just explain and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'd change the order.

Gumbo wrote: »
    Contact in this order ;
    The shop and ask can they accommodate the residents of the block. Already done so no use

The OMC of the development if you are an owner or your landlord if a tenant to tell the shop they aren't following house rules.

Musgraves as owners.
    Environmental Health Section of council under the noise pollution laws.
    Possible planning breach of it was conditioned for deliveries to rear only

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

put a sign on the door saying no deliveries to spar Nd all deliveries must use the official rear entrance - and say CCTV in operation - all contractors reported.

Then when they keep doing it send a registered letter to spar - get the name of the manager you complained to before and use them as the follow up - saying you will be taking a district court case on noise disruption ( google the acts exact title in citizens advice as you have to quote it) and keep a log of times, duration and dates . It will cost you a tenner - no solicitor involved - and the courts will compel spar to comply.

I woild say they are deliberately doing this so the manager dosn’t have to he present on the premises to open up at 4am and the delivery guys don’t have access. You say there is a spar IN the building - are they getting codes from the manager to your residential door and communal corridors - big safety risk to residents too - flag this with spar and the landlord/ Spar HQ.

I’ll see about getting the link to the leglislation. You need to have complained in writing ANd have the name of the person you complained to - follow up with a non compliance and noise disruption letter by registered post to the same person and cc spar HQ - that shoild soon put an end to it. So long as your quality of life is disrupted and the noise is persiatamt and unbearable and is disrupting your sleep and you should get a good outcome.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/environmental_protection/noise_regulations.html

Advertisement